• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,665 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,665

PreviousChapters Next
She Can Handle It

Applejack exhaled slowly. She closed her eyes.

"I... I know where my friends lie..."

Another breath. Birds chirped in the distance.

"...and so long as the farm's in a good place... then I know where I lie..."

She opened her eyes. Moist pupils reflected a pair of gravestones.

"So long as I've got all my apples in a row, I ain't got no reason to fuss. I ain't got no exuse for... for feelin' confused."

She stood up tall, ears pricked up on either side of her hat.

"The farm is doin' well, and I've got friends who are happy and willin' to support me. And that's all that matters. Ain't no need for nothin' else whatsoever. So..."

She cracked a fragile grin.

"Ya ain't got nothin' to worry about."

A beat.

"Well..." Applejack's eyes darted away as she stifled a chuckle. "...except for the fact that the vampire fruit backs might be comin' back. But... I'm positive that I'll find a way to deal with that."


"Yaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh!" A voice echoed over the trees. In the distance, loose leaves and leathery wings scattered through the heavens.

Applejack craned her neck. She made to sit up from the front porch. "Maybe... maybe she needs some help with scatterin' them varmints—"

"Oh! Rainbow Dash?" Fluttershy shook her head and urged Applejack to sit back down. "You know how she is when she puts her mind to something. I'd say just let her have her moment."

"But... chasin' away vampire fruit bats is a rigorous exercise!" Applejack looked at Fluttershy. "Ya sure she won't get too tuckered out?"

"Uhmmmmm..." Fluttershy gulped, then smiled. "Trust me. She would much rather be doing this alone rather than... uhm... bother anypony else."

"Bother me? But it's my own farm! The bats are my problem."

"Hey! Uh..." Fluttershy leaned forward on the edge of her seat. "What's this I heard about Granny Smith gettin' a much-needed checkup?"

"Oh! I was about to get into that, wasn't I?" Enthused, Applejack faced the dainty pegasus squarely and spoke: "She's been visitin' the doctors regularly, gettin' multiple opinions and all. They've set her straight and made a schedule, and after another month or two, we can finally give Granny the operation she needs for her hip replacement! I'm tellin' ya, Fluttershy, it's like a dream come true! Well... almost, that is... There's still the chance that someday I'll settle down and have some foals of my own. But for the first time in my whole life, it's really lookin' and feelin' like the family's gonna have things all squared away!" Applejack took a sip from a cup of cider, swallowed, and added with a warm smile. "And the families to come from it!"

Big Macintosh strolled back into the scene, rolling his eyes and smiling into a mug of his own. "Heheh... Eeeeyup."

"Don't you roll yer eyes at me, Macky!"

Fluttershy giggled... throwing a nervous glance towards the distant treeline.

PreviousChapters Next