• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,660 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,660

PreviousChapters Next
Softer Promises

Late at night...

Lying in bed...

Applejack cradled the exposed feather.

And she was smiling.

Her eyes were crusty from tears. A different kind of tears. And yet—upon the cusp of her freckled grin—a heavy breath lingered.

At long last, she broke her gaze from the feather. She sat up and looked out her moonlit window.

Towards the hill...

"... ... ..."

Gently—with motherly care—she put the feather back into its velvet case, clasped it shut, and placed it under pillow. Seconds later, she exited her upstairs bedroom, masking her hoofsteps so as not to wake the rest of the Apple Family household.


The crickets continued their serenade as Applejack's hooves crunched through leaves and grass.

She ascended the hilltop under starlight.

When she at long last reached the graves...

...she squatted down on her hindquarters.

She stared at the names... the dates... the faint orange color in the reflective sheen of the granite.

"I... I know this might sound a bit silly... but..."

She bit her lip, ears drooping.

"...it wasn't you, was it?"

Silence.

"Because... b-because I learned long ago not to wish on shootin' stars. And even still..." She shivered slightly, her eyes moistening yet again. "...even heaven's gotta brush through our manes from time to time. So... if it was y'all..." A heaving breath. At last, a tear broke through. Then a second. "Thank you. Thank you so much. I just..." A whimper. "...I can't imagine how I would've... without... without everythang... everythang I have here... everythang I am here..."

The hilltop was quiet.

"Mmmm..." Applejack rubbed her cheeks dry... only for more tears to blanket her freckles. She smiled through it. Such an easy thing to do, suddenly. "I promise..." She sat tall and proud, breathing inwardly. "I promise on my life... I won't waste it." She shook her head, teeth cracking through the tear-stained grin. "I won't let it all sink so low ever again."

She leaned over. With her eyes shut, she lightly kissed the soft soil between her and yesterday.

And after she was satisfied with the tranquility of the moment, she finally stood up and made her way back towards the farmhouse...

...and the softness that awaited her by the window.

PreviousChapters Next