• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,681 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,681

PreviousChapters Next
Home Run

Galloping... galloping hooves.

Applejack didn't stick to the roads.

She barely even stuck to the fields.

She ran through bushes and tall grass and thickets and all of the random growth in between.

All just to make an unmitigated bee-line for the heart of Sweet Apple Acres.

It was a difficult trek... made even more difficult by the sheer speed of her sprinting and the fact that she had scarcely any light to guide her journey.

But, at last... after much sweat and yards and seed-spurs clinging to her fetlocks...

...she made it over the crest of a hill. There was a familiar rustle to the trees, and it was only then that Applejack realized that she was finally home. Sweet Apple Acres loomed around her in a windswept hush. She must have forgotten jumping a fence or two to get there.

"Grnnngh!" With a muscular jolt, Applejack forced herself to a grinding stop.

Dirt flew. Grass bent. And then—cricket song.

Applejack stood still... panting... quivering.

She took a few deep breaths... then some deeper ones. At last, she found her nostrils relaxing just long enough to devour the lung-tickling scent of apples in the cool night air. Everything was spiced with familiarity and comfort.

Home.

"Heh..."

She smiled crookedly.

"Heh heh heh heh..."

She slapped her knee and nearly fell backwards on her sweaty haunches.

"Haaah! Hah hah ha... heheheheh... whewwwwwww-doggy!"

Applejack laughed and breathed and looked up.

Darkness hung over the treetops like a cold sheet. The stars barely twinkled. A dull canvas rolled lazily overhead, limping towards the midnight hour.

Applejack's smile left her. And although the relief of arriving there so speedily still remained... there was a sour taste to it all... fluttering upon the fringes of her thoughts.

She shuffled over to the nearest tree and...collapsed. It was a graceful thing—more or less—and Applejack soon found herself sitting with her back slumped against an apple tree. She stared up into the sky, her green eyes centering on the Mare in the Moon.

And for a moment... the effigy in the moon didn't look so sad... for the universe possessed something lonelier.

The farm mare sat in contemplative silence for several more symphonies of cricket song... before reluctantly getting up and slouching her somber way towards the homestead.

PreviousChapters Next