• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,661 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,661

PreviousChapters Next
Orchards, Straight and Narrow

The mutual harvesting of fruit went about as well as Applejack expected. She trotted slowly from orchard to orchard, concentrating on one tree at a time. She took even breaths, filled subsequent baskets completely, paced herself.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hoof, was all over the place. There wasn't a moment when a streak of color wasn't zipping overhead, blowing at Applejack's mane and nearly tossing her hat off. She stopped multiple times to clutch the article in place—feeling the desperate flutter of the fibrous thing within.

A spark of frustration rose up deep within Applejack's system. Only one thing in their midst was precious, and despite being the sole owner of it Rainbow Dash was threatening to ruin everything. It wasn't that Applejack wasn't grateful—but rather she preferred to be in control of the situation, and being in control for Applejack typically meant being alone.

So, in one way or another, she felt right at home with her annoyance. The mare secretly prayed that Rainbow Dash would get bored. Any moment now, impatience would win over altruism, and the pegasus would be excusing herself to go... huff some clouds, or whatever.

Of course, perhaps it would help if Applejack urged Rainbow into being quicker about it.

"Better get a move on, Rainbow Dash!" she exclaimed, filling a basket and sweating. "If you wanna be any help, we gotta clear the next four rows by the end of this hour!"

"Haaah!" Rainbow's voice echoed against the sound of slamming bark. "You mean the next four rows I already friggin' did?"

There was no way that varmint could even be remotely serious.

Applejack turned to look—then did a double-take as she saw multiple baskets lying beneath trees, filled to the brim with baskets. "Say wh-what?!" Her pupils shrunk. "Well, I'll be." She squinted suspiciously at Rainbow Dash. "How in tarnation did you get all them apple trees empty? Are ya cheatin'?"

"Hnngh!" Rainbow Dash kicked a tree beside her, seemingly not breaking a sweat. "Is that even possible?"

Applejack didn't understand. "Erm..."

"Well?!" Rainbow smirked, dusting her hooves off as she hovered in mid-orchard. "You're the apple expert here! Or is your name 'Orangejack' all of the sudden?"

Applejack rolled her eyes. Rainbow could be such a jerk sometimes. Always a braggart... very rarely an adorable, innocent little thing that wanted to be cuddled in an alleyway—

"Unngh..." Applejack groaned. It felt like someone had lit a hot coal beneath her hat, and she hated it... hated everything. "This is why I don't work with pegasi..."

"Why?" Rainbow grinned, swiping her forehead dry.. "Cuz you can't stand the awesome? Or you're afraid of being out apple'd?"

"Less sassin' and more apple-loppin'!" Applejack legitimately barked. She pointed downhill. "There's still an entire field of trees downwind to knock out if we wanna make quota! Keep it up, surgarcube, and I promise I'll make it worth your while!" She winced at those last few words. Consarnit.

"Jee, you're welcome." Rainbow's nonchalance was almost disappointing.

Applejack sighed. The treasure in her hat grew lighter, and for a brief second she almost broke. "Rainbow..."

"Heh... s'all good. I get it." Rainbow flew off to tackle another orchard. "Don't fret, Cap'n, my Cap'n! I'm gonna make so many apples fall, Isaac Neighton will turn over in his grave!"

And just like that, Applejack switched from frustrated to exhausted to amused. "Oh horsefeathers..." She rolled her eyes, but smiled warmly. Some ponies were just too adorably forgivable. "I swear that last one made my brain hurt."

"Good thing apple bucking only involves your body!" Rainbow soared downhill. "Just try and keep up!"

"Don't wear yourself out too fast!"

"Who, me?" Rainbow flew beyond sight.

Applejack gazed after her. Her smile dwindled, and a sigh took its place. Every limb grew heavier, and the mare's scalp was tickled.

"Just keep facin' forward."

She adjusted her hat.

"Just keep movin', Applejack."

She acknowledge the softness beneath her hat... but looked no further than the sensation. With a firmer breath, she began packing the filled baskets into her wagon.

"T'ain't nothin' there but scamp. It's all in you. All of it." She took a deep breath. "All you."

As she got into the rhythm of loading the wagon, she hollered over the tree-tops, boldly: "You alright over there, sugarcube?! Ain't time for no restin' yet! We have a whole evenin' ahead of us!"

A scratchy voice cracked back: "I'm just s-surveying the land!"

"Sounds good to me!" Applejack breathed easier. She even managed a smile.

Preparing new baskets, she lined them up against the trees and resumed bucking.

Straight and purposeful.

PreviousChapters Next