• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,665 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,665

PreviousChapters Next
Safety? Dance!

"And we'll be the prized couple of the ball!" Rarity cooed, leaning against the window of the rattling coach and cooing. She cradled both fetlocks together as she swayed to the dreamy thought that was devouring her wandering eyes. "The crowd's curiosity concerning this well-dressed mare of fabulosity will morph into envy as they wish they were in my place... or in his place! Or both!"

Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie giggled in their seats. Twilight hushed them and turned to face Rarity with a kind, patient smile.

"And we'll go twirling across the dance floor with absolute grace and poise! Yes! I said 'twirling'! For what else are ballgowns made for? Oh... he will be positively enraptured, and his one recourse for taking control of the situation is to spin me around and display his new prize to the entire Gala from all angles! Heeeee..."

"Wowie, Rarity!" Pinkie smiled. "You really like dancing, don't you?"

"Oh Pinkie Pie." Rarity upturned her nose. "It's more than mere dancing! It's... an expression! A romantic confirmation! A statement of beauty, want, desire!"

"And you really would..." Fluttershy's brow furrowed. "...marry this 'him'? Right on the spot?"

"Well, why not, darling?"

"Because he's a total stranger? Sounds scary."

"Not if he's rich enough." Rarity winked back. "That's a kind of fright I can live with!"

"Well, I couldn't," Fluttershy said, steadying her mane and frills as the stagecoach rocked. "But... dancing does sound like fun."

Pinkie Pie winked at her. "Especially if the dancing involved a certain freckled stallion!"

"Hmmmmmmmmmm..." Fluttershy exhaled through a warm smile. Her ears flattened, the tips turning a mild rose. "Yeah..."

"I wouldn't mind a dance or two!" Twilight exclaimed. "Although it might look weird to the rest of the Gala if Princess Celestia and I waltzed together. Heheheh..."

"Uhhhhh..." Rainbow raised an eyebrow from where she sat in the corner of the stagecoach. "...dancing with Princess Celestia would look weird to everypony, Twilight... much less the Gala."

"I mean she's so experienced! All of those centuries of observing countless balls! She must know some moves that would wow the mortals among all of us!"

"Yes, Twilight." Pinkie grinned from ear to ear. "You should definitely talk to Celestia all about the balls she's observed over the centuries!"

"Eugh..." Rarity face-hoofed, careful not to ruin her makeup. "Pinkie..."

"I'll be happy so long as I get to cut a rug with anypony!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Or everypony! Woohooo!"

"Heck yeah!" Rainbow beamed. "I'm with Pinkie! After all, how could a few breakdance moves not impress the Wonderbolts?!"

"Now that's the spirit, Dashie!" Pinkie exclaimed, pointing. "You should totally pop'n'lock it in front of those dudes!"

"Uhhhhhh..." Rainbow grimaced for some reason, hugging her forelimbs to her chest. "Heheheh..." A gulp. "I'm not sure about pop'n'lock..."

"How about you, AJ?" Pinkie looked over. "Who do you look forward to dancing with?"

"... ... ..." The farm mare stared out the window of the moving coach, studying the local landscape and trees and trees and—

"Applejack?" Rarity chimed in.

"Hmmm?" Applejack looked over, blinking.

"Have a dance partner in mind, Applejack?" Twilight asked, smiling.

"Guh..." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "You don't have to answer them if you don't want to, AJ."

"Who, me? Dancin'?" Applejack shrugged. "Reckon I won't have the time."

"Huh?" Pinkie cocked her head cutely to the side.

"I'm just here... y'know..." Applejack smiled with a shrug. "...to earn bits for the farm. Plain and simple."

"You mean..." Fluttershy squinted. "No mingling? No snacking? Not even a square dance?"

"What's the point?" Applejack asked.

"Uhhhhhhhhh..." Rainbow gestured. "... ... ...to have fun?"

"Heh..." Applejack leaned against the window with a casual smirk. "I can have fun later. Tonight's work."

"But you're always working!" Pinkie Pie said with a whining pout. "This is supposed to be the Gala-iest Gala that ever Gala'd!"

"You might not get another shot at this, AJ," Fluttershy said.

"Reckon I know that." Applejack nodded. "Which is why I gotta focus whole heartedly on earnin' the bits."

"Ugh! You're impossible, Applejack!" Rarity exclaimed, tossing her mane. "But—we shan't rain on your parade! Even if it will more sufficiently resemble a flea market."

"Heh... call it what you want. It's what I've been aimin' to do for months," Applejack said. She sat in place for a few more seconds... before sensing a pair of eyes resting on her. She looked across the stagecoach.

Rainbow Dash was staring. "Is this what you really want?"

Applejack gulped. "Uhm..." Her ears twitched. "...yes?"

Silence.

"'Kay then." Rainbow shrugged, glancing out the window herself. "Weird. But whatever works."

"Eeyup." Applejack exhaled with a calm smile. "Works just right for me."

"Mrmmfff..."

"Heheheheh..."

PreviousChapters Next