• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,626 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
A Loyal Pain

"A real varmint and a prankster if there ever was one," Applejack said in a huff, settling back where she sat before the tombstones. The sun was almost fully set now, and the curtain of evening began its lazy slink over the hilltops, orchards, and rooftops of the ranch. "The first moment I met her, she seemed pretty well-to-do and all... but I've since learned that she likes to play practical jokes on the local ponyfolk and act like an all around you-know-what-in-the-flank."

She took her hat off and dusted the brim clean.

"And yet... when push comes to shove... she's just about as givin' as Rarity... as supportive as Fluttershy... as giddy as Pinkie Pie... and as smart as Twilight."

Silence.

"Hrmmf..."

A freckled smirk touched Applejack's muzzle.

"Okay. Maybe not the last part for sure. But she ain't no idiot. Just... not so keen on payin' attention to any one thing at one time. She's like a piece of the sky sliced off and just as flighty. Never sticks to one thang. Always floatin' and flitterin' around and tryin' to put a spin on it to legitimize it as 'daredevilish.' Reckon the only thing she's centered on is herself... and it's a tad bit comical how dang prideful she is."

Applejack's eyes dwindled on something in the distance. Her ears flattened slightly.

"It must... it must be somethin' else to... to be that free..." She exhaled. "To not have a single care in the world... save only for yerself."

She gulped. The world around Applejack was darkening... but the two stones in front of her cast the darkest shadows of all. They always did.

"But..."

With a breath, Applejack slapped the hat right back on.

"Dun matter to me none. I've got my own life to live... and responsibilities that I'm mighty glad to tend to."

She smiled softly.

"And—in truth—she ain't that terrible of a varmint. When push comes to shove, turns out she does care about her friends. She just doesn't go the normal or polite routes of showin' it. She just arrives whenever she needs to... without bein' asked sometimes... and of course... of course she somehow always manages to save the day."

Applejack sat up with a warm breath.

"Her name's Rainbow Dash. And she's courageous... inspirin'... remarkable... enviable..."


"Whoah!" Applejack fell on the ground so hard that she almost lost the contestant number fixed to her flank. The ground rumbled as dozens of ponies galloped past her... then cleared off down the trail.

Panting, Applejack struggled back to her hooves. She stared in disbelief past the flutter of falling autumn leaves.

"I don't believe it..." she stammered.

"I know, it's beautiful." Twilight Sparkle casually trotted up, brandishing her own number. "Isn't it?"

"Not the scenery, Twilight!" Applejack flashed her friend an angry scowl. "Rainbow Dash just tripped me!"

"She did not," Twilight firmly said.

"She did too!"

"She did not," Twilight repeated, pointing at a stone. "And if you slowed down and looked where you're going, like me, you'd see that you tripped over a rock!"

"What?!" Applejack's blood ran cold. "Oh, hayseed!" She threw herself into a desperate gallop, running the lengths of Whitetail Woods. "Now I got a lot of ground to make up to catch Rainbow!"

"Just be careful!" Twilight sing-songed from far behind.

PreviousChapters Next