• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 1,877 Views, 109 Comments

Brains and Brawlers - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



The romantic adventures of mis-matched couple Sci-Twi and Gilda

  • ...
15
 109
 1,877

All Good Things

Twilight stood outside her home, with Gilda by her side, looking up at the stars. It was a clear, cool, late spring evening. Perfect to celebrate the fact that Twilight had completed her finals, and with it, high school. Just graduation, and then she was done with that part of her life. Plus, while she had been getting ready for finals, she had not really had much time for socializing, especially dating. So she had not seen Gilda in a while

Except that she did not feel like celebrating, and seeing Gilda was not as good as Twilight would have liked.

After a for more minutes of silence, Twilight decided to use the Sugarcoat method.

"You're going to break up with me, aren't you?"

Gilda shifted enough to look at Twilight from the corner of her eye, then looked back up at the sky. A sigh caused the taller woman's arms to rise and fall.

"Yeah..." she sighed out.

Twilight's own gaze drifted down to her hands. Her right gripped the middle finger of her left, tugging on it, while the right thumb pressed against the left index's knuckle.

"Did... did I do something wrong?" Her grip on her finger tightened. "I know I've been busy lately with finals, and we haven't spent much time together, but that's over now. A--"

Gilda reached down and grabbed one of Twilight's hands. Gently, she pulled them apart to stop the tugging, and then gave it a simple pat on the back. Gilda turned, looking at Twilight now.

"It's nothing like that, Twilight," said Gilda.

"Then why?"

"How many colleges have you been accepted to?"

The question caught Twilight off guard. Her brow furrowed as she counted back through them.

"All five that I applied to," she answered. "Plus there were like seven others that were actively recruiting me."

"Exactly." Gilda let the hand go, turning toward the stars again. "You're a genius. Any college would be lucky to have you, and the smart ones would want you to attend them. And you deserve to go to the best."

There was a moment of silence between them. Twilight felt like she should say something in response to that, but was not really sure what. Denying her intelligence would be false modesty. With her experience from Crystal Prep and talking to others, she knew Gilda was not entirely wrong. If her engineering and inventions led to her gaining fame and wealth (not that she intended to pursue that specifically), then the college which she had attended would be able to use it as part of their publicity.

"It also means that you're going to be meeting a lot of new people," Gilda continued. "Make some new friends. Maybe even meet someone you find attractive."

That got Twilight's attention.

"You're afraid I'll forget you?"

There was a derisive snort as Gilda rolled her eyes.

"Please!" Leaning over, she gently elbowed the other girl. "I was your first relationship, and the first person you slept with. You're going to remember me the rest of your life." The smirk faded as her expression grew sad and distant. "Well... you know... barring any sort of memory problems."

Experience with this subject meant Twilight knew how it was a sensitive one to Gilda. Unless something happened, the larger woman would brood on the matter, thinking about her grandfather, and his ailing health. Memory included. A part of Twilight was tempted to let her. To pretend that everything was normal, and they were just standing out here, enjoying the night and being together.

But that was not something she could actually do, leaving someone she cared about in such an unhappy mood. Even if it meant dealing with something she did not want to.

"So, what is it?" asked Twilight.

Gilda's eyes flicked back to her, thoughts returning to the present.

"You should have that opportunity. To meet those people. Hang out." She turned to look away. "Maybe have a chance to fall in love with someone you have more in common with. Do the whole college experiment thing. Not have to say, 'Sorry, but I have a girlfriend back home.'

"Besides, long distance relationships don't work. Better we end it now than slowly drifting apart until we break up anyways."

Twilight moved closer, pressed a hand against Gilda's arm, and gave it a gentle squeeze. Her first reaction was to claim that it didn't have to be like that. That they could make it work. Talk on weekends. Get together during school breaks.

Except... that was how it normally started in the stories. The couple would make such promises themselves, and at first, they would follow through. At first. Then they would start to get busy with classes, homework, and other matters, making them spend less time together. The couple would talk less, and less, until the relationship came to an end. Maybe one last argument, maybe one would end up cheating, but it would all come to an end. When it was all over, at least one of them would have moved on, having a new, more fulfilling relationship.

"So... this it then?" Twilight asked. "It's over."

Gilda turned to Twilight. Gently, she pulled her so they were face to face, then kissed her on the forehead.

With that, Gilda turned away, and walked to her car.

Comments ( 13 )

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well. That's, a sober ending.

9238748
I was so ready to put this in my favorites until that ending which left such a sour taste in my mouth. I’m sorry but something with such a horrible abrupt ending cannot be put into my favorites, especially since it literally came out of nowhere.

It honesty feels like you just wanted the story to end so you said Fuck It and broke them up

well, that's one way to decide you're done with this story

What a shit ending.

I would seriously reconsider rewriting the ending

10343995
No.

Look, I appreciate that everyone is so invested in this story that they had wanted the couple to end on a happier note. However, despite what you may think, it is not an ending which I decided upon spur of the moment. I put a lot of thought into it, and decided that this would be how it would end.

Admittedly, it was abrupt. I had originally intended to build toward it more, with hints of it in the chapters, but had not really any more ideas. So, I decided to go ahead and jump to the ending instead of leaving it up in the air indefinitely.

Plus, I like the fact that even if it is upsetting or sad, it's at least somewhat mature. Not perfect, but better than a bitter fight or having them drift apart.

I"m sorry you don't like it.

However, I do, and am NOT changing it.

Oh come on! :unsuresweetie:

After all that build up and build up their sweet little relationship, only to go 'fuck it' mode and tear it apart. :facehoof:

Dang, that made me sad. Not sure if in the way that was intended. I mostly think it's because I wanted so much more of this story, so no matter what the ending was going to be bitter sweet. I don't know, I felt there were lots more places it could have gone, but at least we have closure on it. This was one of the stories that I read when I first started reading fan fiction, one of the ones that I told myself that if I could see the ends of those stories I could probably stop reading fan fiction although. It wasn't the only one though so the addiction will live on, but thanks for keeping me invested for so long.

10344019
Well then you have condemned your story to the bowls of wasted potential and utterly ruined re-reads for this since it ends on such an utterly shitty and abrupt ending that's completely against how you were handling the rest of the story then I really pity you're not going to re-write that ending. I.... I really was liking this direction..... but then you ended it in one of the worst ways I've ever read in a story. You have actually ruined not only this story but this ship for me. Congrats.

10344019
I'm not happy with this. It is absolutely not what I wanted out of this story.

But I still like it.

damn this ending was ...

imma pretend like i didn't finish this yet and everyone is happy and together lmao

As others have expressed their thoughts on how this ended, I’ll give mine:
While I too was surprised by the ending, I still will say that overall, this a fantastic read of a pairing most probably wouldn’t think of as one(even with brain and brains being a classic pairing)
As for the ending, I’ll give it a double-sword: it was a bold, yet daring move to break them up but one I say works cause it adds to the realism that some things are better to break even if you don’t want to. And the other side is ashamed that it ended on such a sour note after all that happened.

In the end, you’re the author and what you say goes and I hope that instead of being somber, this story can inspire more GlindaxTwi snd then others can give it a happy end if they want it.

8.6/10 a delightful reading with a sucker punch that leaves an impression and stays with you.

Login or register to comment