• Published 27th Aug 2016
  • 2,427 Views, 12 Comments

Crackshipping and You: Rainbow Moon - Fuzzyfurvert



Rainbow Dash, ever loyal, sees to easing her Queen's mind in times of stress.

  • ...
9
 12
 2,427

Misago

The Queen’s temper tantrums were never a good thing to behold.

Magic fire raked the walls of the castle. Waves of pure force shattered windows, knocked pictures off the walls and sent debris flying all around the room. And permeating the torrent of power lashing out, emanating from the eye of the storm, were the screams of pure rage. A noise that would usually herald something parents would threaten their foals with if they misbehaved.

Commander Rainbow Dash stood at attention, flanked by her fellow senior officers. She had already sent most of the recruits to patrol the outer walls of the castle tonight. It was the officer’s duty to wait until the queen had calmed down, ducking the odd brick or magic projectile, while preparing to explain the failure of the guard in the face of the strange alicorn that had shown up and disappeared again.

She made a mental note to inform the royal architect that he could expect to be working overtime.

And just like that, the storm stopped. The only indication that the throne room had been intact this morning was the settling dust cloud the queen stepped out of.

Her coat was as impeccable as usual, and there was no sign of exertion. She looked as if she had just completed a spa treatment. Perfect, cat-like elegance, bundled with the raw power of an alicorn.

“Commander Dash, with me,” she said calmly. The other officers, who already knew the routine, bowed deeply and scurried off, carefully avoiding eye contact with both Rainbow and their Queen.

It stung her pride to be, as usual, the one singled out as the guilty party. Years ago, she would have challenged her queen, like she did initially. She would have told Nightmare that SHE had been the one to believe the purple one’s story. She was the one who had refused Rainbow’s insistence of keeping the foreign alicorn in chains and magic restraint. Had Rainbow guarded the foreigner herself, nothing would have happened.

But she knew. She had learned. While the Queen found her opposition refreshing in the beginning, the novelty wore off quickly. And more than novelty, the Queen valued her absolute authority.

She followed her queen through the corridors towards the private quarters. The few servants they met, the ones who had not retreated somewhere out of sight, did not meet their eyes. Even bowing to the Queen was unwise when she was in one of her moods.

The heavy doors thudded closed behind Rainbow after they made it into the private quarters.

Nightmare Moon did not acknowledge her presence for a good while. She sauntered to one of the shelves, pouring herself a glass of wine. She did not drain it in one gulp, but savoured it.

Rainbow could do nothing but wait at attention.

“So, Commander. Please, tell me the reason our little… guest is not here anymore.”

Her tone was friendly, bordering on saccharine. None of the boiling rage Rainbow knew was bubbling away inside of the Queen showed on the surface. She even managed a genuine-looking smile.

“My Queen, I am sorry…” Rainbow began, but before she finished her explanation, magic glimmered. Rainbow’s legs buckled from sudden weight on her back, and the air was pushed out of her lungs with force.

Coughing and wheezing, she barely noticed that the Queen had leaned down next to her. “I do not want to hear that you are sorry,” the alicorn said calmly. “What I want to hear is an explanation.”

Sputtering, still fighting against the magic force on her body, Rainbow managed to stand up with one leg. Her body protested, and she could hear the blood pumping through her body.

And just like that, the pressure disappeared.

There was still pain all over her body, but Rainbow got up on shaking legs. The only thing worse than drawing the ire of the Queen is showing weakness in front of her.

“You are supposed to be the best, Commander. I hope for your future that this does not start and end with your pain tolerance.” As Rainbow looked up, she caught a small smirk playing on Nightmare’s lips. “Then again, at least you have two positive qualities going for you. Speaking of which…”

Rainbow managed not to shudder under her Queen’s appraising gaze.

“You will make up for your blunder by lifting my mood. To my bedroom.” Nightmare waved her hoof idly in the direction. “I will follow shortly.”

~#~

Rainbow awoke alone. As usual, the Queen did not stay for any intimacy, and had left the bed right after…

Shaking her head of unwanted thought, Rainbow got up and started to make her way around the room, collecting the discarded pieces of her uniform and armor.

In her mind, she was already planning the day. Organize the patrols. Meeting with the military high command for a possible invasion of the dragon lands. Stand guard in the throne room.

For a second, she thought about the purple alicorn. The world she had told them about.

If only Rainbow would have heard her out.

Comments ( 8 )

Something about this pairing makes it the most crackiest of the ones done so far, and I haven't even read the two shorts yet.

I'm so mad you had the chance to name this

LIKE A RAINBOW IN THE DARK

And didn't take it. For shame.

7516453
It was too long!

7516458 sometimes you gotta bite the long title bullet for great Justice

7516508
but muh naming convention...

Oh wow! Things are getting hard for Rainbow, how did, wait... Does Twiligh keep coming here? How?? The cutie mark table swalloe the time travel spell and she doesn't know it... Does she???

I find it hard to square this with the character of Rainbow's heated defense of Nightmare Moon in the episode. It makes me kind of wish the first one had been written with the technical skill of this one.

In her mind, she was already planning the day. Organize the patrols. Meeting with the military high command for a possible invasion of the dragon lands. Stand guard in the throne room.

Oh, God! High Command is working for Nightmare Moon!

Login or register to comment