• Published 27th Aug 2016
  • 15,259 Views, 175 Comments

Shadows In The Light - MatCor1337



When Twilight was at her lowest, no one supported her. No one but a voice. And it is this being that leads her down the darkened path of her true destiny.

  • ...
8
 175
 15,259

Dreamscape Conflict

Princess Luna and a couple of her Night Guard landed in the castle courtyard and looked around, noticing how quiet and empty it was for what was meant to be where the reception was being held. Another thing she quickly noticed was the repair work being done to some of the nearby buildings and the frantic state of the guards. Speaking of which, a couple of the golden armoured ponies were now running towards her and her guards.

“Princess Luna, where in Equestria have you been?” one of the guards asked as he and his partner got up to them.
“We were-” Luna started, but was interrupted by the guard.

“Apologies, your highness, but it can wait until you meet with Princess Celestia in the throne room. Something terrible has happened that needs your immediate attention.” He said.

‘That would explain the damages.’ Luna thought, then saying out loud, “Very well. I shall meet with my sister at once.” She said, dismissing her guards before making her way to the throne room. After a few short minutes Luna reached her destination, the two guards stationed at either side of the doors granting her entry. Inside the throne room was Celestia looking over some reports from earlier, a frown on her muzzle.

“Where in the world have you been?” she asks, clear irritation in her voice.

Luna, taken aback from her sister's tone, took a second to respond. “I had come to the conclusion that the threat to Canterlot may have been a diversion to bring the majority of the Royal Guards to a single location and leave many towns vulnerable, so I went to secure the nearby villages. From the state I found Canterlot upon my return I guess I was wrong.”

Celestia sighed and put down the report papers. She couldn’t fault Luna for considering that the threat to Canterlot was a trick to lure the guards away from their real target, but that wasn’t the case. The Solar Princess rose from her throne and walked towards her younger sister. “It’s alright, Luna. I’m sorry for my tone before, but today has been… stressing, to say the least.”

That got the Lunar Princess’ attention. “Sister, what has happened?” she asks.

Celestia sighed again and started walking out the throne room and towards her bedroom, motioning for Luna to follow. Minutes passed in silence until they arrived at Celestia’s room, the elder alicorn casting a privacy spell once the both of them entered. Before Luna could ask what the spell was for, her sister spoke. “Twilight has the Alicorn Amulet.”

Luna gasped. “What?! How is that possible? Where did she find it?!”

Celestia’s expression turned somber. “I don’t know where she found that damned relic, but I feel she never would have if it weren’t for me.”

Luna grew concerned, wondering what her sister could’ve possibly done to blame herself for causing Twilight to find a forbidden artifact. She walked up to her sister and gently laid a hoof on her shoulder. “Tia… tell me what happened.”
Celestia stared at her younger for a moment before sighing for a third time that evening. She went to the cushions near her fireplace and sat on one, gesturing to another with a wing. “You may want to take a seat, Luna. This could take a while.”

The younger of the princesses complied and listened to what her sister had to say. She listened as her sister told her of what happened during the wedding rehearsal the previous evening; of how Twilight accused “Cadance” of being evil, how Shining Armor forbade her from attending the wedding, how the Element Bearers abandoned her without a word, and of the cold words she herself said to her pupil before leaving. Celestia then told Luna of what had happened in Canterlot earlier today; Twilight interrupting the ceremony with a changed appearance -- wearing the Alicorn Amulet around her neck and a corrupted Element of Magic on her head -- and another Cadance, how she revealed to true identity of the impostor, and of the “battle” that left Canterlot the way it was.

The Solar Princess told her sister an abridged description of how they managed to win back the city; Twilight trapping Chrysalis in a spell she didn’t recognise but soon broke out of, signs of fighting shown on their bodies, Twilight and the Element Bearers getting captured only for the young mare to free herself and Cadance, getting her to break Shining Armor from Chrysalis’ control and the two of them mustering the magic to banish the Changeling army from Equestria. With deep regret Celestia also revealed what happened afterwards, of Twilight unleashing her anger through verbal lashing before demanding that all but Cadance and her parents are to keep away from her.

As her sister finished telling her of what occurred during her absence, Luna’s mind swam with many thoughts. Eventually though, she finally found her words. “Sister, there was no way you could’ve suspected that Cadance wasn’t herself.” She started, but Celestia cut her off.

“But I should have!” she yelled. “Whenever I think about it now, it was so obvious that something other than pre-marital stress was wrong with Cadance. I just feel like such a fool.”

Luna put a hoof on her sister’s shoulder reassuringly. “Regardless, what’s done is done, and all we can do is figure out how we can best salvage the situation before it can get any worse.”

Celestia smiled a little. “You’re right, Luna. There is still time to fix all of this. I won’t deny that I didn’t give Twilight the benefit of the doubt like I should have, but I don’t think she did this on her own.” At Luna’s confused expression, she elaborated. “Even if Twilight had read about it in a book somewhere, I do not believe that she’d think that the Alicorn Amulet was even real, let alone know where to find it. I think someone -- or something -- else is involved.”

“And you think that who or whatever gave Twilight the Alicorn Amulet is corrupting her, using the mistakes made by you and her friends to lure her away to darkness?” Luna enquired, getting a nod from her sister before she looked reluctant about something.

“Luna, I don’t want to impose or make you do something you don’t want to, but could you-?”

The Lunar Princess raised a hoof, already knowing what Celestia was going to ask her to do. “I shall enter Twilight’s dreams and see what I can uncover on the situation from there.”

Celestia gave her younger sister a thankful smile and a small hug. “Thank you, Luna.” She said.

Luna returned the embrace before they separated. “Do not fret, Tia. If Twilight Sparkle is being corrupted, then we will bring her back to the light.” She started to leave the room when Celestia called out to her.

“Be careful, Luna. The spell Twilight used to reveal Chrysalis’ true form was unlike any I’d ever seen. This corrupter could be capable of anything.”

Luna gave her worried sister a confident grin. “Please, Tia. There is nothing mightier than I in the realm of dreams.”


After leaving her sister’s bedroom, Luna went to the balcony just outside of her own, thinking back on what Celestia had told her of the last two days. She felt that something wasn’t quite adding up, that they were missing an important detail of some sort. Regardless, the Lunar Princess had a job to do, and the results of it would determine what actions they take next:
Enter Twilight Sparkle’s dreams.

Luna ignited her horn and in a matter of moments she was in the realm of dreams. While mesmerising and breathtaking the first few times, it wasn’t much to look at once you got used to it, just a star-spangled teal-blue void and not much else. Luna called forth her magic again and summoned a door to Twilight’s dreams.

Or, she tried to.

Instead of the one door she wanted however, Luna got four other doors, the colors and cutie marks on them telling her that they belonged to Twilight’s parents -- Night Light and Twilight Velvet -- Princess Cadance and Spike, the latter actually having a dragon shaped marking. Confused to why she got these doors, Luna tried again, putting much more magic into the spell. After two minutes or so of struggling, she finally got the door she was looking for, but received another surprise.

Twilight’s door had drastically changed, now resembling the entrance to a bank’s vault, with several rods bolting it to the “floor” and “ceiling”, a large clamp on one side to seal it further, and to pour salt on the proverbial wound, it was also wrapped in chains. However this was possible, the message was clear:
Someone didn’t want Luna going into Twilight’s dreams.

The Lunar Princess huffed in frustration. “What trickery is this?” she asked the seemingly empty air. “We are the Princess of the Night and protector of dreams. We demand entrance to Twilight Sparkle’s dreams!”

“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that.” A voice said. Before Luna could even react, she was struck to the side that sent her flying a great distance. Getting up from her crash several yards from Twilight’s dream-door, she gazed in shock and awe at her attacker. The best description Luna could think of was that he -- she assumed it was a he from the voice -- was a skeleton sorcerer wearing royal-purple and black robes with gold accents, opened at the chest area to show of his rib-cage and a glowing red orb within it.

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Luna spoke to her assailant. “Who are you, and what do you want here?” she demanded.

“I am Ainz Oowl Gown, and that is all you shall know of me. As for what I want, I wish to give you a message: leave Twilight alone. If she wishes to speak to you or any of the traitors, than she shall do so on her own terms. Besides, this is quite the invasion of privacy.”

Luna glared at Ainz. “So you are the one who corrupted young Twilight Sparkle.” She accused him, prompting him to tilt his head slightly.

“Corrupted?” He chuckled. “Is that truly the first thing to enter your mind when someone calls you out on your mistakes? Corrupt and/or evil?” he laughed again, before turning dead serious. “No. I have not “corrupted” Twilight Sparkle, I’ve liberated her from the shackles that bound her to Celestia’s every whim.”

“You say that as if you’re accusing my sister of being a tyrant.” Luna commented.

“Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot, those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.” Ainz quoted. “Make no mistake, I didn’t accuse your sister of anything, you made that conclusion yourself. In addition, just as you interpreted my words to fit your views, I can find something that Celestia has done that makes her look villainous from a certain point of view.”

At that Luna smirked. “Ha! That is a fool’s errand. You could never find anything misleading in my sister’s past even if you had a thousand years to search!” she stomped her hoof on the “ground” and smiled triumphantly.

“Pot, meet Kettle.” Ainz said blandly. Upon Luna’s confidant expression turning to confusion, he continued. “Apologies, but that coming from someone who didn’t get the recognition they deserved for their efforts and was banished by the very person they’re defending just for wanting some extra attention is a little hypocritical.”

Luna didn’t have an immediate response to that. After a few moments of silence, she managed to say, “Those were different times.”

Ainz shrugged. “I guess they were, but that doesn’t hinder my argument. If Celestia, Shining Armor and the Element Bearers want to fix their relationship with Twilight, they have no right to force her into it and it must be done at her own pace. She’s a new mare now, and they should treat her as such.”

Luna hardened her expression. “There may be some truth to your words,” Ainz tilted his head, which Luna now assumed was his way of raising an eyebrow, “but Twilight was never yours to take from her family and loved ones. So for that, I shall free her of your corruption!” she exclaimed, striking a battle-ready pose as her horn ignited.

The Overlord of Nazarick shook his head. “I’m very disappointed, princess. I thought you of all people would understand what Twilight is going through, but I guess you’re as blind as she was.” He raised his left hand and a golden staff appeared in it, the jewels in the mouths of the snakes giving off a faint glow for a second. “Before we begin, let me tell you something to think about: the sun does not reveal truth, its light only burns and blinds.”

Taking that as the starting signal, Luna fired a quick bolt of magic at Ainz and launched into the air, the bolt easily deflected by a shield conjured by the undead sorcerer. Ainz followed up by unleashing the spell Shark Cyclone and a barrage of Dragon Lightning. Taken off guard, Luna scarcely avoided being sucked into the shark infested whirlwind and struck by the lightning bolts, speeding up her flight speed to outmanoeuvre Ainz. While surprisingly fast and agile for his size, avoiding her magic bolts and similar offencive spells, Ainz couldn’t quite keep pace with the Lunar Alicorn while she was in the air and he knew it. So, it was time to try out what he himself had learnt from his new existence.

Seeing an opportunity, Luna fired a powerful energy beam directly at Ainz’s back. She didn’t think it would do too much damage considering his armor, it would give her satisfaction that she drew “first blood” as it were.

Before the attack struck, however, a giant dragon skull appeared between them and completely negated the beam. So caught off guard by this, Luna scarcely avoided the large blast of energy that was fired from the skull’s maw, though some of her feathers got singed. Ainz would have smirked at the Night Princess’ shocked expression if he had skin as he turned and patted the skull.

“What do you think, princess? Impressive, is it not?” he asks Luna.

“Wha… what sorcery is this?” she whispered, mostly to herself, but he heard her.

Ainz chuckled at her stupefied expression. “This little number is called a Gaster Blaster, a creation of a new friend I made after coming into my new existence.”

Luna gritted her teeth. This wasn’t going as well as she had hoped. She expected to face some resistance and even animosity from Twilight when she entered the young mare’s dreams, but hardly foresaw the likelihood of being confronted by an entity she’d never heard of possessing magic she’d never seen before.

Before she could do anything, though, Ainz spoke up again. “Just give up, princess. You know nothing of my power, my limits or even myself, yet I know all about you and yours. You’re facing an unknown foe blind in your views and ignorant of theirs.” He dispelled the Gaster Blaster. “If you leave now I will not tell Twilight that you had attempted to invade on her dreams and privacy.” He offered.

Luna glared at the Overlord, making him sigh. They continued to stare at each other for a few moments before Ainz mentally smirked, a plan forming, making Luna raise an eyebrow. “Well then, if you still wish to intrude on my student’s dreams…” he snapped his fingers and Twilight’s “vault” appeared beside him, confusing the Lunar Princess. Before she could question him, he pointed his staff to the vault, all the jewels glowing brightly, and what happened shocked her more than anything in her life.

A thick mass of flesh and bone began to grow around the vault at a rapid pace, covering all but the face of the vault. The mass of unflesh continued to expand, the only thing she could discern was the back forming the vague shape of some four-legged creature with clawed feet, whilst the front took the shape of a headless torso with four arms. What truly disturbed Luna though was that the torso was opened like a gruesome wound, fragments of bone giving it the appearance of a mouth. The abomination roared, the sound like a raging dragon and nails dragged down a chalkboard, its “mouth” opening wide and showing the many dozens of long, jagged and crooked teeth, the door to Twilight’s dreams scarcely visible in the very back of its “throat”.

Luna was feeling a mix of disgust, awe and horror at the sight of the gargantuan daemon-spawn and gave a quick glance to Ainz, who she knew would be smiling smugly if he could as he gave her an exaggerated bow, finishing his sentence with, “Than by all means, be my guest.” He laughed as his body faded into a pinkish-purple mist until he was gone completely.
Luna nervously faced the creature as it roared again, several eyes it didn’t have before glaring hatefully at her, and gulped. This could take a while and be very painful.

Comments ( 95 )

Holy S***! It updated! Woo! Need to read!!!!!

That... that is an image of Horus Luprical i see in the featured box. Chaos Horus as well. Imma read this, fair warning though, I get very nitpicky on 40k.

First off, if this isn't M31 i will have a very large issue of the bat.

Am i the only one seeing a potential shipping between chrysalis and twilight?

8296938
No, I found that rather obvious, and I love it. :rainbowlaugh:

8296940
Ok i just noticed no romance tap

I am literally screaming into a pillow right now with how much I am losing it over this chapter! You have out done yourself!

Stupid Princesses who believe they are in the right. Horus F***ing Lupercal! Not only that but a brilliant Horus who knows how to talk! That Diana, Scorn of the Moon quote! A Primarch fighting an Alicorn! The Gaster Blaster!

Sorry for the fangasming, but I can’t put into words how happy you have made me. I just hope you keep up the marvelous work you wonderful, wonderful person.

8296968
Awwww :fluttershysad: now I’m sad.

8296980
Eh could still happen

... Before i do a comment on the chapter... I'm going to have to blow up on that Author's note,

1.) He's still human. By that I mean that Horus never became a Daemon Prince, but Nemeroth had, and a being that devoted themselves to the Chaos Gods wouldn't just help a pony because she was sad, and would most likely corrupt her.

He is not Horus Luprical. Horus Luprical died to Anathema (I think it was called that) by Erebus's hand. The Horus the Luna Wolves revived, was a being of Choas, he was the Golden light and hope no more. He was the galaxy's end, and the Cabal even said it themselves "the new horus will either die completely or destroy the galaxy." Also, Horus isn't dead. his soul did not go to a deity. He does not exist.

2.) Redemption. In my opinion and based off of what (little) I know, Horus was more-or-less tricked into betraying the Emperor, as the Chaos Gods made him believe that they were the victims of the Emperor's quest to godhood and played on his jealousy. That said, this could be Horus' attempt to redeem himself and prevent others with great potential from making the same mistakes he did.

Wrong Primarch. That was Logar. (If you change it to Logar that won't work as he is still alive, and very much a Deamon). Horus did everything his own will, and even punched out Erebus and Logar for doing what they did.

3.) Potentially more Primarchs. Remember in chapter two, Wedding Crashers when Nemeroth mentioned one of his brothers being the instigator of the invasion? Well, with Horus saying that, you could argue that he's talking about one of the (confirmed) dead Primarchs (Sanguinious, Ferrus Manus, Konrad Curze, Alpharius) or one of the Lost Primarchs. Because if Horus can show up and take part in a story Post-Heresy when his soul was completely and utterly destroyed by the Emperor, than they could too.

While Sanguinious is great(RIP), Ferrus, who is also great, is kinda a glory bound brute who's heart is broken and hates his own body. Konrad, while could have a conceived redemption, was very fucked up by Sanguinious, Johnson, Gulliman, and most critically himself. Also Alpharius, not confirmed dead. Probably never will be. Also Alpharius, Omegon, and pretty much all the Alpha Legion are Dicks.
As for lost Primarchs... Lemon would have none of this, at all. Vulkan... he's a tad happy go lucky...
Khan and Corvus are both together... and in Commoragh. Johnson is in the rock, alive and well. And Dorn... it's Dorn... he is not a good character to put in a story if you want a compelling person.

If you have any issues with my decision, let me know and I'll put it under consideration.

And that is that.

I'm guessing Horus must have offed Gaster at some point to learn the Gaster Blaster.

Im crying. DAMNIT! of course you chose an image of pre-Davin Horus. I had flashbacks to 4 different novels and cried. Ahhh.

but what hurt more (though didn't get tears) was that you show the Light of Life, the Brightest Son, and have him do what he did this chapter. Also, one doesn't use Warp spawn willingly all willy nilly and not be corrupted by the dark gods. Last 3 paragraphs killed it.

I don't have a verdict yet. I will Track this though.

i for one hopes twilight will give luna time of day or night i should say and be friend with her,

This last chapter is a bit lower in quality, (fucking undertake) but I'll stick with it.

So, the huge number of grammatical errors aside, this story is incredibly rushed. It's an interesting premise, but you take no time to actually develop any of the feelings or settings you're writing about and just rush from point to point without giving any of them any depth. I think I'd really enjoy this story if it got a rewrite to flesh it out and give it more depth, but as it is I'm out.

8305491
Necromancy is not just animation. Not by a longshot. Healing magic has the critical draw back of you must also experience the pain to heal it. Dark healing magic has no such trail, BUT!!! It is Necromancy. Necromancy is a discipline of magic on its own. It can be reanimation, healing, or direct attacks. The direct attacks destroy the soul and consume the body, the healing is done with no pain to the caster, and the reanimation is self explanatory.

Two things. One, THE REFRENCES!!!! Two, What amount of time did it take for you to write this?

8315340
That ain't tough love, that isnt even berating someone, that's just cruel. It didn't go off as a joke, and especially in a society like this that wpuld have a lot of weight to it.

I'm surprised this story hasn't been added to any groups yet. It's really good.

8323241
... I can't argue with that. I mean, i can! But only the author could confirm.

Before the attack struck, however, a giant dragon skull appeared between them and completely negated the beam. So caught off guard by this, Luna scarcely avoided the large blast of energy that was fired from the skull’s maw, though some of her feathers got singed. Horus smirked at the Night Princess’ shocked expression and patted the skull.

“What do you think, princess? Impressive, is it not?” he asks Luna.

“Wha… what sorcery is this?”

Horus continued to smirk. “This little number is called a Gaster Blaster, a creation of a new friend I made after coming into my new existence.”

And i had just commented on a previous chapter about Undertale.....:facehoof:

Also... seeing as you've changed Nemeroth to Horus... you should go back and change the name and maybe the description that follows the name in the previous chapters....

Does anyone else like that twilight is a powerful being?

8402105 Shit, I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me.

You've missed changing several neoroth to horus, but other than that and the rushed begging, this is fantasic!

is there gonna be an update soon :rainbowhuh:

I like this story but I don't know what it's a crossover with. Could someone tell me so I can look into it? Please?

an there be an update please:fluttershysad:

8790304 I've run out of YouTube videos to distract me, so they should be coming within the next couple of months.

8791218 Within the next couple of months, so any time.

Another thing, it still says nemorath in a few places. Ones that spring to mind are in chapter one as well as the previous one.

Great work when will the next chapter be out

when can we expect the next chapter?

I'm confused, I thought this was a Overlord crossover since it was Ainz ooal gown that helped twilight

oh i see a twilight shipping coming maybe harem

Since your modifying this story rather heavily, does this mean the next chapter will be soon?

8791228
7 months later and still no update.

BRO! You gatta update this story and soon it is too good to not finish!
Also finally a dark twilight story that dose not make her evil!

ok so this is all kinds of awesome and will be tracking this from now on. also the door now seems protected by the gaping dragon >.>

Any updates soon?

Hello is this story Dead or will we get an update soon?

Login or register to comment