• Published 27th Aug 2016
  • 15,264 Views, 175 Comments

Shadows In The Light - MatCor1337



When Twilight was at her lowest, no one supported her. No one but a voice. And it is this being that leads her down the darkened path of her true destiny.

  • ...
8
 175
 15,264

Venting Out Stress

Author's Note:

One of you commented about how I had Twilight saying f*** instead of "buck", so hopefully this will clarify why:
In Equestrian society, just about everything is very child-friendly (as the producers intended), including the swears to an extent. As such, they are aware of what the proper swear is, but over the course of several generations of (simply put) "self-censorship", ponies and perhaps some equine-like race will say a "softer" version, whilst other races like griffons, dragons and Diamond Dogs will say the proper word.
Now, because Twilight thinks that most of her life since her entrance exam was made of lies, she'll no longer care to censor herself and make a whole new reputation around it (sort of).

[Warning: lots of swearing in this chapter]The ponies celebrate their victory against the Changeling threat with enthusiastic cheers and by embracing each other, making sure that they were perfectly fine. Twilight Velvet and Night Light embraced their son, thankful that he was freed from the queen’s control. Recovering from the numbness of the cocoon, Princess Celestia walked up to Shining Armor and Princess Cadence to congratulate them on banishing the Changelings.

The celebrations were halted, however, when Pinkie Pie pointed out the elephant in the room. “Twilight?” she timidly says.

Everypony else turned their heads to the direction the normally bubbly party-mare was looking and took notice of Twilight Sparkle gazing into the distance through a window, or more specifically, the direction Chrysalis was launched to.

“Twilight,” Celestia speaks up calmly, “the Changelings have been defeated and all has been restored, you can remove the Alicorn Amulet now; there’s no need for its power.” Her student didn’t turn.

“Really, Twi? You’re giving us the silent treatment after the threat’s been dealt with?” Rainbow Dash brashly asks. No response.

“C’mon sugarcube, the princess says that that amulet yer wearin’ is messin’ with yer head. So jus' take it off and everythin’ will go back to normal.” Said Applejack. Still nothing.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Come on, talk to us Twily.” Shining Armor asks of his sister, him getting a reaction. Twilight spun her head to the group with great speed, but glared her piercing eyes at her brother.

“Don’t you dare call me that!” she snapped, causing all the ponies to flinch.

“T-T-Twilight.” Fluttershy squeaked, gaining the Dark Mare’s attention.

“Back off, you spineless wimp.”

“Hey! What the heck is your problem, Twilight? You don’t just do that to a friend!” Dash yelled at Twilight, hovering inches from the taller mare’s muzzle to defend her foalhood friend.

“My ‘problem’?” Twilight chuckled. “You really want to know what my ‘problem’ is?” she asks with a large grin, showing off her new fangs. Rainbow gulps, realizing that she may have made a mistake. Twilight’s mane suddenly roared to life, forming a hand at the end and grasping around the midsection of the pegasus, who could’ve sworn that she heard the hair actually hiss. “You’re my problem!” the Dark Mare roared into her captive’s face before throwing her across the room, earning gasps from all present. Applejack and Fluttershy immediately rushed to the downed mare’s side.

“Twilight!” Celestia gasps out, completely shell-shocked at what she had just witnessed her personal student do. “She’s your friend!”

“Real friends would never have abandoned me.” She growls.

“W-what are you t-talking about?” Pinkie stammered, growing scared of her old friend.

Twilight gazed down at her with a look of disgust. “By Faust, you are a complete idiot, aren’t you, if you can’t remember something that only happened barely fifteen fucking hours ago!” the pink party-pony and the others flinched again and stepped back, staring wide-eyed from the vulgar language. “When I needed someone’s kindness; somebody to make me laugh; a pony to generously give their time for me; to show me their loyalty and to be honest with me, where were all of my so-called friends when I was at my lowest?” she hissed ‘friends’ as though the word left a horrible taste in her mouth. “Anywhere but with me, that’s for sure!”

“Twilight, please calm down.” Celestia tried. “These feelings are not your own, it’s the Alicorn Amulet making you feel this way. Just remember your friendship with the others and take it off, you’ll be able to think clearly again.”

“Pfft! Cut the bullshit for someone who cares, you lazy bitch!” Twilight snapped, each word that comes out of the other ponies’ mouths only proving to make her anger grow. “And of course you’d say that me finally releasing my pent up frustration is a form of corruption. And what is this ‘friendship’ you speak of? All I can remember are a bunch of ponies using me for their own ends like some kind of puppet! Well here’s a newsflash for you, princess; I have no strings, not anymore. I’m more my own mare now than I ever was before, and I intend to keep it that way. And one more thing, you can forget about your faithful student, because I quit!”

The solar princess could only stare in wide-eyed shock, mortified that the one pony she saw as if she were her own daughter had just severed their ties and bond. Twilight’s parents and Cadence backed up a few paces and kept quiet, fearful of incurring the mare’s wraith.

Twilight herself was now taking deep breaths to calm herself, in through her nose and out through her mouth. After about half a minute, she turned her attention to her parents and ex-foalsitter with a much softer expression, confusing the three of them.

“Mom, dad, I’m sorry you had to see that but I really needed to get a lot of bottled-up stress off my chest, and I’m already feeling much better from it. Cadence, if ever you need a place to crash for a while or just need someone to talk to, don’t hesitate to call me up, okay?” Twilight turned back to the window and stepped closer to it before speaking up again. “The rest of you; stay the fuck away from me.”

Before any of the ponies could stop her, Twilight’s horn glowed a dark purple and her body was consumed in black fire. Her form rapidly shrunk to the size of a curled up colt or filly as it hung in the air. The group flinched when the sphere exploded, and in the place as the young mare was a crimson-eyed crow. And after a moment of test flying, the crow flew out of the window and headed for the direction of Ponyville.

Finally getting herself out of her stupor, Cadence slowly turned her head to her aunt, the Mane Five and her husband-to-be, taking notice of their now guilt ridden faces. With her own face molding into a scowl, she asks the big question. “What did you do?”


Things were calm in Ponyville; the sun was shining, the birds were singing and the foals were playing an assortment of games. Some ponies seemed to be quite anxious for some reason or another, but that’s because they knew about what happened in Canterlot just moments ago. A lone zebra had just gathered the necessary ingredients needed for a new brew when she heard the caws of a crow.

Curious, she turned her head to the direction she heard the sound coming from and saw the infamous bird. Not only were crows either rare or non-existent in Equestria, Zecora was even more confused to its presence when it headed straight for the Golden Oaks library.

“Oh, what is this? It would seem that something is amiss.” She mumbled to herself before making her way to the library. Once Zecora got to the door she reached back into her saddlebags and pulled out a key. Ever since Twilight Sparkle was able to get the town to welcome her, she had been visiting the unicorn every now and then for some idle chatter and she was even given a spare key in case of an emergency. She inserted the key into the lock and twisted it to the left. With a confirming click she removed the key and put it back in her saddlebags before bringing her hoof to the handle and turned it, opening the door.

When Zecora entered the library proper she heard the fluttering of wings and saw that the crow had managed to get inside as well and landed on the floor, before suddenly bursting into black flames that caused the unsuspecting zebra to jump back and fall onto her haunches. The ball of flame started to grow until it was larger than the dumbfounded zebra and just as suddenly as it became alight, the mystic fire was extinguished and an unnaturally large unicorn with a very dark color-scheme took its place.

While most of the mystery-mare’s features were difficult to notice in the dark building, Zecora’s gaze fell to her rump to see her cutie-mark and take a gander at her personality. There was a large, six-pointed star that was bright crimson; a smaller star colored green was behind the first and stood out between the red points; five even smaller black stars were spread around the other two in the center, but their points were curved like a saw-blade rather than straight.

The zebra’s eyes went wide when she thought of only one other mare with a cutie-mark similar to that one. “Twilight Sparkle, is that you? To earn this form, what did you do?” she asks.

Twilight blinked her eyes when she registered the voice and turned to its source. “Zecora?” she asks as she turned on the lights. Granted, she could see perfectly in the dark with her newfound night-vision, but she wanted to make things easier for her guest. “Hey there, did you need anything?”

Zecora stood up and her gaze traced the new form of her unicorn friend with curiosity. Her eyes fell upon the grey and red amulet with a unicorn head, wings and a large red gem in the center of a triangular body hanging around Twilight’s neck.

“Though I wish to know what is around your neck, I would like to ask what happened on your trek.” Zecora said in her usual rhymes. It took a moment for Twilight to realize that her friend was asking her to explain what happened at the wedding, more-or-less.

“Well, it’s kind of a long story…” Twilight replied. The zebra nodded and placed her saddlebags by the door before walking to the kitchen, most likely to make some tea. The unicorn sighed; although it would do her some good to tell someone about it, she figured that she’d have to repeat it soon enough.


The room was deathly silent as Princess Cadence, Twilight Velvet and Night Light all stared aghast at the seven, guilty faced ponies in front of them. The Element bearers admitted that they didn’t take Twilight seriously when she was stressed about being “tardy” with a late friendship report; Celestia brushed off her students warning of Nightmare Moon’s return, though she claimed it was because she already knew and was prepared; and Shining confessed that he hadn’t informed his sister beforehand that he was dating Cadence, let alone getting married to her, and whenever she tried to ask him about it he’d change the subject immediately.

But the worst of it all was when they admitted to what they did at the rehearsal. How “Cadence” ran out the hall crying; Shining forbidding Twilight to attend the wedding; the Mane Five abandoning her without a word; and the last, cold words Celestia said to her before earlier. After another moment of silence, Cadence finally spoke. “You’re all horrible ponies.” That made the group of ponies flinch.

“I’m very disappointed in you, Shining Armor.” Light scolded his son.

“How could you have done such a thing to her?” Velvet wailed.

“It’s not like she had any evidence.” Shining defended. “What were we supposed to do when she started accusing my future wife of being evil?”

“How about giving her the benefit of the doubt?!” Cadence yelled, making them flinch again. “Auntie, Shining, you have both seen a stressed-out me, and I’d rather lock myself in my room then take my frustration out on others.” She said. Celestia and Shining Armor shared a look; she was right, they should have realized the difference in her personality much sooner.

Cadence sighed and turned to direction of the still damaged doors and started walking towards them. “Cadence, where are you going?” Shining asks.

“I’m packing my things and leaving on the next train to Ponyville.” She replied.

“What? Why? What about our wedding?” Cadence turned her head and shot him a glare.

“What about our wedding?” she repeated. “Your sister is going through Faust knows what kind of emotional pain and all you care about is some wedding?” Shining gulped. “Well, to answer your question dear; until further notice that I see fit, the wedding is off!” with that note of finality, Cadence stormed out of the room, closely followed by Twilight’s parents.

Night Light stopped for a moment and turned his head back to the group, giving them a slow, disappointed head-shake before continuing after his wife. The six mares and one stallion stood in silence as the consequences of their cruel deeds to the kind, loving pony that they held dear finally took root in their hearts.


Cadence marched down the hall to her room when a voice called out to her. “Cadence, wait up.”

The pink-coated alicorn stopped and turned her head to see the two ponies following her, one just a little further behind the other. “Mrs. Velvet? Mr. Light? What are you two doing?” she asked the couple, turning around.

“We just wanted to tell you that we’re coming with you to Ponyville. Faust knows what she’s going through, so she needs all the support she can get.” Velvet said firmly, her husband nodding in agreement once he caught up.

Cadence smiled and said, “I’m sure Twilight would love that.” She was about to turn back towards her room when the three heard someone clear their throat. They turned to the direction the sound came from and were surprised to see none other than Spike.

The purple drake himself was fiddling with his hands, shifting his weight on his feet and looked very anxious. After a long silence the ponies were about to say something but Spike finally spoke up. “C-can I come too?” he asks nervously. “I… I really need to apologise to Twilight for not trying to help her last night, and I felt so bad about it. I just… I just…” he was on the verge of crying when Velvet came up to him and pulled the small dragon into a hug.

“Shh… it’s okay.” She cooed. “Of course you can come with us, Spike. I’m sure that if you explained yourself, she’d forgive you.”

Spike sniffed and wiped away some tears. “Really?”

“Positive. If not a brother, you’re like a son to her, and trust me when I say that children make mistakes when peer pressure’s involved.”

Night Light stepped up to his wife and gave her a playful nudge. “Well, Velvet and I better get home so that we can get what we need. You two meet us there once you have your things a came head to Ponyville.” He said. The two mares and dragon nodded and split up to do just that.