• Published 27th Aug 2016
  • 15,206 Views, 175 Comments

Shadows In The Light - MatCor1337



When Twilight was at her lowest, no one supported her. No one but a voice. And it is this being that leads her down the darkened path of her true destiny.

  • ...
8
 175
 15,206

A Voice In The Dark Of The Night

Three hours.

Three hours since the wedding rehearsal. Three hours since her outburst. Three hours since her brother, Shining Armour, revoked her role as his best mare and forbade her from attending the wedding itself. Three hours since her friends abandoned her without even a word. Three hours since her teacher, Princess Celestia, a pony she looked up to like a second mother, left those hurtful words in her head. Three hours since she returned to her room and cried her eyes, heart and soul out.

By the end of the three-hour mark, Twilight Sparkle had no more tears to shed. She wished she did, but there just weren’t any left. Her soul felt torn to shreds, her heart broken into a million pieces. Twice in her crying session had a thought of suicide cross her mind; that if her only friends would abandon her for someone who treats them like dirt, then there was no point to go on. But she dismissed those thoughts, no matter how tempting.

“You’re stronger than this,” a voice whispered in her mind. “You are better than this… Better than them.”

Twilight’s head shot up, rapidly scanning the room in search of the voice’s source. “Who’s there?” she called out to the otherwise empty room. “Where are you?”

“I am everything, but I have nothing. I am everywhere, but I rest in one place. I am what the strong strive to become, I am what the weak fear. I am joy. I am sadness. I am love. I am hatred. I am hope. I am despair. I am light. I am darkness. I am the sun. I am the moon. I am the stars. I am the void. I am… not answering your question whatsoever, am I?” it said with mild amusement.

“That’s an understatement.” Twilight deadpanned, earning a chuckle from the voice.

“Yes, I suppose so. If you feel that you’ll be more comfortable if I were to have a name, than allow me to introduce myself: my name is Ainz Ooal Gown, but you may call me Ainz.”

“Okay, Ainz, why are you here? What do you want from me?” she asked, still looking around. Her search stopped at the vanity mirror near the bed, the now black glass showing the image of a skull wearing a hood over its top and thick gold choker-like object around its neck, two small, red motes of light in its otherwise empty sockets for its eyes.

“Oh, this isn’t about what you can offer me, but what I can offer you.” The skull said, its deep and commanding voice identifying it as male, his eyes seeming to glow brighter.

“What are you talking about?” the, understandably, terrified mare asks.

“Knowledge and power; the likes of which you would never have believed to be possible. You have barely even scratched the surface of an entire frozen ocean of what there is to learn. For each spell you’ve mastered, there are thousands more waiting to be learnt and studied. Discover races that the ponies believe to have never existed. Hold more knowledge and power than Celestia could ever dream of.”

Twilight thought about what ‘Ainz Ooal Gown' was offering, and found it very tempting. What new things could she learn? What new spells could she add to what she’s already been taught?

She was about to take him up on his offer, but a thought to the others crossed her mind. “What about Princess Celestia and my friends?”

“Friends, BAH! They are no friends of yours.” Ainz growled, clearly angered, his eyes flashing for a second. “They abandoned you in favour of someone they’ve barely known for a day. Remember when you got the two tickets to the gala? They wanted to go for their own selfish gains, and not to attend with you. Discord was able to make them succumb to his influence so easily and without a fight, only Fluttershy had to be ‘discorded’ by force, and the fact that it was because she accepts being pushed around just makes her even more pathetic! Applejack’s stubborn pride had her refuse help when she needed it, treats her sister likes she’s a baby and is completely oblivious! Rainbow Dash is an attention whore that would leave you behind to accomplish her own personal goals at the drop of a hat, Rarity is a diva who over-exaggerates, and Pinkie Pie is ignorant of the harsh reality that the world isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.”

Any other day Twilight would be denying what he was saying, that the girls were nothing like that. But she found that she could only agree with him. They wanted to attend the gala for their own ends and not to be with her, when she tried to get their help with a late friendship report they shrugged her off like it was nothing, that she was simply overreacting. Well, because of that they had to go through the incident that was later dubbed ‘Lesson Zero’. Later that same day they had promised to listen to Twilight’s worries and take them seriously, but they didn’t; and that was what brought her to her present dilemma.

“Your brother may be the captain of the Royal Guard, but you are a hundred times the pony he is. When Nightmare Moon almost brought eternal night, he ran around in a panic like a headless chicken. When Discord returned with his reign of chaos, Shining Armour cowered in fear. And Celestia? She sits on her over-glorified ass while you risk your life! I have seen the future, my dear Twilight, and she would send you against the most powerful dark mage this world has ever witnessed, and makes you think you must do it alone whilst she does grade-A nothing in her warm castle. And if that wasn’t enough, she’s been lying to you your entire life."

“What do you mean she’s been lying to me?”

“Your special talent is magic itself, right? That means that it is your destiny to harness the powers of ALL magic; whether they’d be Light, Dark, or Chaos magic, it’s your fate to learn and master them all! In fact, those are naught but titles given by mortals to things they don't fully understand. But Celestia wishes to control you by only limiting your knowledge to "Light" magic, for she knows that you will be more powerful than she could ever be, and she can’t have that. She knows that if you discovered your true potential you would be a threat to her rule. Behind all the smiles and sunshine, Celestia is a tyrant who would do whatever it took to remain in control.”

Twilight began gritting her teeth as he spoke, his words finding purchase in her mind. This whole time she was nothing but a pawn to be used by the one pony she looked up to and saw as a second mother. Her friends left her in favour of a cruel pony so that they can further their own gains, and not even her parents had come to comfort her. Obviously her FBBBFF, (Former-Big-Brother-Best-Friend-Forever), had already whined his side of the story to them so that they too would leave her to wallow in her pit of despair.

Every pony who she’d loved and trusted so much had abandoned her, practically leaving her for dead, which is exactly how she felt… That is, until Ainz came. He was the only one to comfort her, to treat her with respect. Suffice to say, she new what she wanted to do.
“I don’t need them anymore! They basically left me to die, so I’m going to make them all pay for betraying me!” she shouted in determination, standing up on her bed with a devilish grin on her face. “Where the fuck do I sign up?!”

She saw Ainz’s mouth widen in laughter, expressing great joy as he applauded and spoke in her mind, Twilight catching a glimpse of skeletal fingers as he clapped. “Yes Twilight! That’s the spirit! Untold knowledge and powers shall be yours, but first we must make a few stops.”

“Why? Can’t you just, I don’t know, implant it in my brain or something?”

“Oh I fully intend to give you what you rightfully deserve, but we must collect a few items that will help to contain all that power until your body can get accustomed to it.”

“Oh, really? What kind of artifacts are they?”

“First of all, we need your tiara to harness the Light magic. Then we shall acquire the Alicorn Amulet to harness your Dark magic. We’ll work on Chaos magic at another date, as it is the most dangerous, if that is alright with you?”

“That’s fine by me. So how are we supposed to get my Element? Celestia has numerous seals on the vault so it won’t be easy.”

Ainz thought for a moment, and then chuckled. “The answer to that, my dear, is simple: I’m going to teach you an enchantment called "Break-spell" and as long as your power is superior to that used in the spell, it can break through and destroy any spell, hence the name. And the greater the difference in power, the easier it is.”

Twilight yelped as she was suddenly filled with strange magic, flailing her hooves as far as they could reach as she was levitated off the floor. Just as suddenly as it started, it ended, an unseen force carefully lowering her down. Physically she was no different, but she felt she was now a little more powerful and knew the fundamentals for her new spell. She charged her magic in her horn, and with a pop that was accompanied by a light purple flash, she disappeared.


Twilight looked around at her surroundings as she made it out of the teleport. She was now just in front of the vault that contained the Elements of Harmony; good. With a grin, she repositioned herself so that she looking straight at the vault as she began to charge her horn.

“Break-spell!” Twilight yelled and fired her new spell at the door. Golden-yellow seals started to appear all over the vault, but before she could count them they began to shatter like glass until all of them were gone. Even the enchantment that made it so that only Celestia herself could open it was destroyed, as apparent when doors started to open, revealing the chest that contained the Elements sitting on a pedestal.

“Don’t get too excited,” Ainz warned. “Right now your power is almost on par with Celestia’s and she didn’t put that much power into those seals, so they were much easier to destroy.”

“Why would she not put a lot of power into seals that are meant to protect Equestria’s greatest line of defense from evil?” Twilight asked as she brought the chest to her in her magic, opened it, and took out her crown to place it on her head.

“It’s because she didn’t have them placed until after Discord was sealed in stone again, and that the very few ponies that could dispel even her simplest enchantments were already in her service anyway.”

“I guess that makes sense. Unless their cutie marks say otherwise, very few unicorns would want to learn much magic that has nothing to do with their special talents.” The lavender mare explained as she placed the rest of the Elements back in the vault and closed the doors.

“A poor and disgraceful waste of opportunity if you ask me. Now then, I can sense that the Alicorn Amulet is in a small store in Manehatten’s downtown district, so how ‘bout we make a purchase?”

Twilight froze when she was told where her next target was. “Manehatten? But that’s so far from here.” She said.

“Not to worry, my dear, I’ll take care of it.”

Twilight nodded as Ainz imprinted the store’s location in her mind and even gave her another very small power boost to make sure that she reached there without getting nauseous from the long-ranged teleport. And so, with her horn once again aglow, she vanished.


The downtown district was probably where Manehatten was it’s most dirtiest, which really wasn’t all that much compared to the rest of the city, but that was due to the city council taking the initiative of having a clean city very seriously. Twilight had teleported right in front of the store where the Alicorn Amulet was located, surprised to find that it was even still open. She walked to the door and noticed the sign explaining that the store was open until midnight, incidentally reminding Twilight that the wedding rehearsal was a little before sunset, so it couldn't be any later than 9 or 10 o'clock right now. Shrugging her shoulders, she opened the door and entered.

Once again Twilight found herself to be surprised by the odd store, this time by what it actually sold. Books, scrolls, talismans, swords, shields, spears and other assortments of old, antique weapons and mystic artifacts littered the interior of the little shop. She managed to make her way to the front desk that was occupied by a light grey stallion with a red vest and hat.

“Hello my dear and welcome to my humble shop. How may I be of service to you for this fine night?” he asks. That brought a smile to her face; at least it meant that somepony saw the true beauty of Luna’s night.

“Why yes, good sir. You see, I’m looking for…” Twilight scanned over the shelves behind the clerk and quickly found what she was after. “That.” She says, pointing to the Alicorn Amulet in a glass case.

“Oooh, I’m afraid that I can’t sell you that, young miss. For it is said that whomever wears it will have their mind and will corrupted by its power, making it far too dangerous.” He warned, giving Twilight an apologetic look. She in return gave him a look of slight annoyance before she suddenly summoned a bag almost as large as her brother’s barrel and dropped it on the counter, spilling a multitude of gold bits. “Would you like to have your new purchase giftwrapped?” he asks excitedly, forgetting moral standards for his greed.

“No thank you, I’ll just take it as is if that’s alright.” The lavender unicorn replies politely with a smile as the clerk removed the amulet from its case and presented it to Twilight, who gently took it into her magic.

“I wouldn’t recommend putting it on just yet, my dear.” Ainz said just when Twilight almost did so. She turned her head and saw his visage on a shield. “The wearing of the Element of Magic and the Alicorn Amulet has quite a… surreal effect, to say the least. I suggest that we go into the abandoned mines within Mt. Canterhorn where no one is in danger of collateral damage.”

‘Good idea.’ Twilight thought back in her mind before she returned her attention to the store clerk, still bearing her kind smile. “Thanks for your help, and I hope to see you again at some point.” She turned and headed for the door.

“Any time, my good lady. Any time.” He called out to the closing door and flash of light.


On the other side of the teleport, Twilight found herself surrounded by stone and crystals of varying sizes. This particular cavern was quite large, making it perfect for what was to come.

“Alright, my dear, now you can put it on.” Said Ainz.

Nodding her head, Twilight took a deep breath, released it and placed the amulet around her neck. For a full two seconds nothing happened, then the Element of Magic and Alicorn Amulet practically exploded in pure energy; the tiara colored light purple, and the amulet in bright red. The energy was of such high magnitude that it began to shake the cave, causing many stalactites and crystals to collapse from their holds. Lightning of purple and red shot out from the gems of Twilight’s crown and necklace in mad arcs that left large cracks in the walls and shattered whatever smaller pieces of stone and crystal into fine dust.

Twilight’s eyes were pure white and glowing in power. She would often yelp as she felt a new jolt of pain shoots through her body, but she otherwise gritted her teeth and bore the pain. She would not show weakness, she would show all ponykind that she was the greatest to ever live. She would gloat over her superiority to the weak cowards.

“I am not weak. I am not a coward. I am not a foal. I am not a laughing stock.” She chanted, her limbs growing longer and her magic growing to new heights she never would have thought possible. “I am strong. I am brave. I am clever. I am important. And I… I AM THE GREATEST PONY THERE IS!!!” And with that final bellow of defiance, her body exploded in purple and red energy, causing tremendous destruction to the cavern and shooting a beam of pure power straight through the mountain from her horn, piercing its peak and continuing on to the open void until it stopped just beyond the orbit of Luna’s moon…

…Tearing open a rip in the fabric of reality to a realm of gods.

To say that Twilight wasn’t the same mare she was just a few hours ago would be an understatement, and she reveled in it. She would be jumping for joy at the achievement of gaining her new powers, but a fit of coughing caught her attention and she walked towards the source. What she found was the one pony that she never thought she would see in a place like this.

“...Cadence?”