• Published 11th May 2016
  • 2,712 Views, 40 Comments

Bring Them Back - somatic



They are all gone, but Twilight prays that they will not be gone forever.

  • ...
2
 40
 2,712

Let the Rainbow Remind You

He was going to die. He was sure of it. That was the plan.

He was going to die, but something got in the way.

Lavender wings spread over him, sheltered him from the storm.

That couldn’t be right. He was the God of Chaos. No one sacrificed themselves for him. No one sacrificed anything for him. He was evil.

Wasn’t he?

But why did he remember a rainbow spark? That magic wasn’t normal. That was… different. It was powerful.

It fed the machine. Just a little. Just enough to keep him alive.

Something quickened in him. Something lavender. Something that sparkled like a brilliant, prismatic rainbow.

There was life in the old god, yet.

His mind was full of lightning, and he could barely recall anything. He remembered raging across Equestria, dueling the blasted Sisters, years spent in a stony prison…

Then what?

Something yellow flashed before him. It was time to wake up.



A fallen log shifted. Then it shifted some more.

“Oof! I never knew lifting things without magic was so difficult! How do those earth ponies do it?”

Slowly, slowly, a tiny creature pushed its way out of the rubble, looking for all the world like a deflated balloon animal. He rubbed one of his broken-off horns.

“That’ll grow back, I think.” Discord took a deep breath, trying to suck some magic back into his drained body. He still couldn’t remember what happened. Something saved him…? That didn’t make sense. No one would save a monster like him.

He cast his miniaturized eyes around the wreckage in all directions.

“Sheesh. Looks like someone fought a war here. It’s dirty.” He rubbed his small hands together. “I like dirty.”

The immortal trickster god, still small as a beetle, walked off into the sunrise, humming a tune he half-remembered from a long time ago.

In the ashes of the cottage, a yellow pegasus with thorn-pierced skin smiled as she listened.

Comments ( 14 )

Well done! That was a lot of fun. I especially liked that Discord was only mostly dead.

Fluttershy had been completely against having her own life extended. I kind of want to know her reaction to living again. Would she be angry? If not, Discord should have resurrected her a long time ago. Or maybe Fluttershy would have been angry at Discord for resurrecting her... but because this was a group resurrection instigated by Twilight she's fine with it? Either way, interesting stuff! :twilightsmile:

Definitely needs a sequel of the girls dealing with everything they knew and everyone they knew being gone. Celestia will have to deal with there being one less Alicorn running around, and tiny Discord trying to regain there power. And possibly if you really want to traumatise everyone. Have them all remember there old lives and then actually dying.

7226241 There is going to be a sequel exploring the girls' reactions to being reborn. However, Fluttershy is insanely loving and meek, so even if she wanted to stay dead, she's not going to be mad about it when Twilight is crying.

Discord couldn't have resurrected her earlier because he honestly didn't know how; he needed Twilight's mad skillz to help him perform the spell. He just provided the raw power.

Thanks for the read!

:moustache: There's that irritating little bug again!
:twilightsheepish: It's nothing spike
:raritywink: Spikey dear here's a gem relax you've had a hard day
:pinkiegasp: Thay bug's on my cup cake!
:applejackconfused: Pesky little critter I'll just shoo him outside
:rainbowlaugh: funny It looks like discord
:applejackunsure::pinkiehappy::duck::twilightsmile:
:yay: Oh a bettle , he'll be great food for Miss. crow! thanks gals! crunch!
:twilightoops::raritystarry::rainbowhuh::ajsleepy:!!!!!!

Hey friends! The sequel, Into the Black, is published now, go check it out!

7236685 Thanks for the watch! And the fave! And for existing, I guess!

(I'm new, please excuse my noobish ways)
This review is brought to you on behalf of the group: Authors Helping Authors
(I only read first chapter by the way; imma keep reading)

Pros

-This almost made me cry. By mere text. That barely happens to me.
-Twilight's a little OOC, but who could blame her? Five thousand years alone is harsh. OOC stuff is understandable, and not out of the blue.

Cons
-A bit of Lavender Unicorn Syndrome (Not that I'm immune to that)

This is sad! Seriously, the emotion in the words is there. I applaud you.

Enjoy your review! Please help me out by looking at my story, Corrupted Star.

7253441 Thanks! It's late where I am, so I'll get to your story tomorrow!

7267212 Little-known fact: Discord invented the USB drive.

7309038 In this story, the alicorns still have a finite memory capacity. They don't want to forget them, they just can't stop it.
Of course, they wrote down everything they could remember before then, but still... Twilight's friends are just another in a long stream of names and heroes to remember.

Luna does have a little better recollection of them, but still, she's known a thousand Fluttershys since then. It's ancient history to her.

Glad you liked the story!

#Commence Comments
I... I honestly liked this story. It's premise is very well done, the scenes with Spike are excellent and the characterization of Discord is one of the more original ones I've seen.
Yes, the premise of "Poor immortal Twilight Sparkle" has been done many times, but this one is done really well.
The only thing I think it misses is a bit more punch for the ending, it sort of goes out with a whimper, not a bang that the set-up implies.

:raritycry: THIS IS ALL SO SAD

I loved this story. While I enjoy stories with hard-hitting plots like this where the characters are faced with harsh realities, but I love it even more when they find a way to overcome the harsh reality and come out well in the end. My favorite part was probably when we found out Discord still lived.

Login or register to comment