• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,429 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,429

PreviousChapters Next
Power of Love (Is a Curious Thing)

"So, true love."

Celestia looked up from a heaping plate of pancakes and Cadance lowered a magazine to direct her gaze towards Luna staring at a starry-eyed young couple several rows over.

"Yeah?" Cadance drawled.

"Is it a thing? True love?" Luna repeated impatiently, pointing at Cadance's cutie mark with a hash-brown.

"Huh," Cadance frowned. "Interesting question. Depends on how you define 'true love.'"

"Like in Celestia's cheesy romance novels." Luna elaborated.

"Hey! Those are literary marvels!"

"With respect, Celestia, they are cheesy," Luna's response came with practiced calm, and she casually ducked as Celestia flicked a marmalade package at her. "The perfect stallion meets the perfect mare! Love is so powerful that the couple is completely inseparable! Love conquers all! That sorta thing. True love."

"Ah," Cadance nodded. "That true love."

"Well? Is it?" Luna pressed, leaning forwards. Even Celestia could not hide her curiosity.

"Well, first of all. Perfect stallion. Let's talk about that for a moment."

"The first wrench in the system," Luna agreed. "Hey Celestia, remember that one suitor? Prince Blue Nose, or whatever?"

"Blueblood," Celestia groaned. "The First. The longest surviving family of complete nincompoops."

"So vile, they drive her to use words like 'nincompoop,"' Luna added, to a snorting chuckle from Cadance. "Yes, he's the one."

"Remember when he accidentally called me Celestina?' One of the very princesses of Equestria, and he got my name wrong."

"What I remember is him immediately trying to court me right after you pushed him into a produce stand. As if I wished to sleep with him underneath the same sheets that my own older sister had... gotten busy underneath."

"Ew. Gross, Luna. And untrue. Still, though, acting like a complete buffon is part of the century-old Blueblood tradition. It is a miracle the family tree did not wither and die."

"What about you, Cadance?" Luna asked. "Any interesting stallion stories?"

"Not... particularly," Cadance confessed. "Met Shiney in high school, we've been together ever since."

Both sisters shared a look. Luna then stared as if Cadance had just transformed into a minotaur.

"That is... surprisingly vanilla," Celestia deadpanned, to agreeing nods from Luna. "I didn't ever pry because that would have just been creepy and awkward, but... seriously?"

"I'm the Princess of Love," Cadance replied. "I hold myself to some standards, you know."

"Shiney?" Luna looked lost.

"Shining Armor," Celestia elaborated.

"The Royal Guard Captain?! You married the Royal Guard Captain?"

"Sure did," Cadance grinned. "Well, actually no, not married, but whatever."

"Huh. The Princess and the Royal Guard. Sounds like one of Celly's crappy romance books..." Luna began, then trailed off as she realized something. "Wait, you're not married yet?"

"Nope."

"You're the Princess of Love, and you aren't married?!"

"Nope," Cadance said again. "We're getting married soon, though. Just don't let the papers hear that."

"Why did you wait?" Luna was dumbfounded. "I don't even like weddings, and I'm surprised. That's a long time to be together without legal intercourse..."

Luna trailed off as Celestia brought a hoof to her face.

"Luna, remember... 'thousand years away.' We'll talk later."

"Uh, anyways," Cadance cleared her throat. "We're not married because... well, marriages are just like, overpriced church sermons with cake."

"That's Shining talking," Celestia said.

Cadance snorted. "Him? Please. He cries like a little foal at weddings."

"So what? You use your freaky love magic to hypnotize him to your whim?" Luna sounded more impressed than disgusted.

"Come on, Auntie Luna. I'm not that bad. He's persistent, I caved, we're getting married this summer."

"Well, for what it's worth, congratulations," Celestia offered.

The solar princess lifted her cup above the table in a toast.

"Yeah, yeah," Cadance said, raising her orange juice with Celestia's teacup and Luna's coffee pot. "To love. As true as I could make it."

The three clinked, then took respective sips of their beverages.

They were silent for some time, silence that Celestia eventually broke.

"For what it's worth, true love sounds rather boring. I have no doubts love is powerful, but perfect? What fun is that?"

"Yep," Cadance nodded.

The three mares fell silent once again.

Luna groaned loudly.

"If nopony is going to say it, I will. Happy Valentine's Day, or whatever."

Author's Note:

What's this? A frequently updating fic by me?

What sorcery is this?!

PreviousChapters Next