• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,415 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,415

PreviousChapters Next
Ordinary Average Mares

"Hey girls?" Cadance said.

"Yes?" Celestia asked.

"Yo," Luna said.

Cadance blinked in surprise at Luna's response, but shook her head quickly and carried on. "What were your biggest ambitions when you were fillies?"

Celestia and Luna shared a glance.

"Big ambitions," Celestia repeated. "Uh... 'living past twenty.' Right, Luna?"

Luna nodded. "Remember, Cadance. We lived during the Discord Era. Me and Celestia were born into a life of crime and poverty."

"Like rap artists," Celestia added.

"Good heavens, Auntie. Please don't try to act modern. Not again."

Celestia blushed. "Sorry. But, to answer your question more directly: no. Me and Luna literally had no ambitions because we lived in a society where such things were not only impossible but punishable."

"Geez." Cadance frowned. "That's depressing. What a crappy world."

"You're welcome," Luna said.

"Well, fine, ya old hags," Cadance rolled her eyes. "I'll rephrase the question. If you had to start your life over again, and you couldn't be princesses, what would you like to be?"

"Hrm." Celestia pursed her lips. "That is a good question. I confess that when I was still quite young, I was intrigued by the idea of becoming an explorer. Sadly... um, other things came up. Namely, usurping a king and taking over ruling a kingdom. I didn't mind staying behind and letting my ponies go into untamed reaches in my place. Flash-forwards a couple thousand years and... well, I suppose I could make a week or so of free-time to fly off into some undiscovered country, but I don't believe any undiscovered countries even remain."

"Aw," Cadance frowned. "I was expecting something funny. Way to be a huge downer."

"I apologize," Celestia blushed. "I also sometimes contemplate a career as an ice cream taster."

"Yeah, but who doesn't?" Luna said. "Personally, if I had to assume an ordinary and average job... I would probably become a painter."

"A painter," Cadance repeated bluntly.

"She's actually a really good painter," Celestia said. "Like, really good. Too bad she doesn't ever put her talents to good use." Celestia shuddered. "Beautifully rendered paintings of a morbidly obese me, gorging myself with sweets. A painting of a sleeping me snoring loudly. A painting of me coloured pink, demanding a guard to brush my mane. At least thirty paintings of my defeat to Chrysalis, each increasingly exaggerated every time."

"It's called an 'artist's interpretation.'" Luna waved a hoof. "I was napping at the time. So I didn't actually see the event."

"Ah. That justifies it then," Cadance deadpanned. "Well, whatever. You know what I'd like to do?"

"Actually," Celestia smiled. "I think I do. You'd like to be a punk rockstar."

Silence.

Cadance blushed. "Is it really so obvious?"

"My dear niece, are you forgetting all the times I had to convince pre-adolescent you that spiking your mane was a bad idea?"

"Ew," Cadance sunk her head into her hooves. "Thanks for the awkward pre-teen flashbacks."

Author's Note:

Sorry I missed last week's again. Real life has made me her bitch.

Thanks to ChappedPenguinLips for prereading this chapter and easing some of my self-conscious neuroticsm.

PreviousChapters Next