• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,425 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,425

PreviousChapters Next
Never Mind the Paperwork, Here's Celestia

"Celestia, may I posit an officious remark?"

"When you word it like that, Luna, I'm tempted to say no," Celestia said without looking up from her document. "What's on your mind?"

"As usual, me and Cadance have been talking about you when you aren't around, and we have grown considerably concerned about something."

Celestia looked up from her paperwork this time, only to narrow her eyes at Cadance, who threw up her hooves in a "she wasn't supposed to say that first part" gesture. With an annoyed blow to get her hair out of her eyes, Celestia looked back to her document without a word.

"See! Behold!" Luna reached across the table and wrenched the entire manila envelope towards her.

"Hey! I was looking at that!" Celestia snarled with uncharacteristic hostility.

"Have you not noticed that you are literally eternally doing paperwork, Celly?" Luna shot back. "And you're always super grumpy afterwards! You're like... like, me when I'm not allowed my beauty sleep."

"Actually Luna, you just get really narcissistic when you're tired," Cadance mused. "It's an interesting phenomenon."

"Well, whatever! Point is, she needs to stop!"

"Yes, I must," Celestia drawled sarcastically. "Heavens forbid I review this farmer's loan request and attempt to help him save his livelihood."

"We're not doubting its importance, Auntie," Cadance said.

"Yeah!" Luna agreed. "We're questioning your sanity."

Cadance brought a hoof to her snout. "I swear, Luna. You're like, an anti-conversationalist."

"The point is, she does an uncanny amount of paperwork! Every second she is not the focus of an event, she's doing paperwork instead."

"If you two are done hounding me, I would like some silence to focus," Celestia reached out and snatched her manilla envelope out of Luna's grasp, cracking it viciously before her.

"Y'know, I'd bet if we cut her, she'd bleed ink," Luna mumbled to Cadance.

"Please do not cut me, Luna," Celestia said without dropping her envelope.

"It was hypothetical! A hypothetical cut!"

"Well, if you keep distracting me, you'll make me give myself a very real papercut."

Luna responded with a wordless grumble and looked to Cadance for help.

"Luna, this is a wild suggestion," Cadance began. "But... since you are so irritated by Celestia's perpetual paperwork, wouldn't it make sense if you, like... helped her with it?"

"No!" Celestia and Luna both abruptly shouted the word, in perfect tandem.

"Absolutely not," Luna added.

"Out of the question."

Cadance blinked. "Am I missing something?"

"I neither understand Celestia's politics, nor have any desire to learn."

"Once, I gave Luna the responsibility of 'balancing our books' and she set off to the library with a scale."

Cadance blinked again. "Luna. Are you telling me you are the diarch of the nation and you have no clue how its politics work?"

"You sound as though you are accusing me of something, dear niece."

"Nope. Just perplexed. And a little horrified."

"Oh, you're in no position to judge," Luna returned. "Last I checked, experience with babysitting and brainwashing isn't the same as experience with ruling a city."

Cadance opened her mouth to respond sharply, but closed it again.

"That's actually a good point," she conceded. "I guess it's a good thing we make Aunt Celly do everything, then."

"Hm," Celestia said. "It is a marvelous thing. At least Cadance has the excuse of having a child to care for. Luna, you're just lazy."

"Hey! I—I mean first off, rude," Luna sputtered. "Second of all, I'm not lazy. I'm merely perpetually disinterested. What is all this stuff, anyways?" Luna moved to grab another one of Celestia's file folders once more, but Celestia was quick to slam her hoof down onto it.

"They're trade negotiations," she said. "And I don't need your syrup coated hooves all over them."

"Trade negotiations..." Luna repeated. "What does that mean?"

"It means, I am negotiating trade," Celestia said. "Important trade. With the dragon empire."

"Oh! How's that going?!" Cadance perked up.

"Surprisingly swimmingly," Celestia said. "I mean, beyond the fact that their princess has formerly requested Twilight stop using Spike as a medium to send her letters. Apparently she's breaking some dragon honor custom that neither her nor Spike were aware of."

"Huh," Cadance said. "So what are you trade negotiating with them?"

"'Trade negotiating' is neither a noun nor a verb." Celestia rolled her eyes.

"That's not an answer though, Auntie," Cadance persisted.

"Yeah, you said it was important!" Luna added. "What are we sending that is important?"

Celestia hid a blush by lifting another envelope in front of her. "If I said it, it would undermine its definite importance. Just take my word when I say future peace could depend on it."

"Congratulations, sis," Luna prodded. "You've only made us more curious. What's the super important thing we're trading for peace? A bomb?"

Cadance choked a little as she took a sip of her cappuccino. "She says peace and the first thing you think of is a bomb?!"

"Well, blame her for not telling us!" Luna pointed an accusing hoof at Celestia. "As your fellow princesses, we have the right to know!"

"Fine." Celestia let out a long breath from her nose.

"It's pillows."

Cadance and Luna stared.

"The dragons have a shortage of pillows," Celestia elaborated.

"Pillows," Luna repeated, looking shell-shocked. "Pillows for peace."

"I assure you it is both vitally important, and makes perfect sense within proper context."

"So. To summarize..." Cadance was grinning despite her best efforts not to. "You are grumpy and stressed due to burnout involving pillow negotiations."

"Yes." Celestia sunk her head into her hooves. "What even is my life? Goddess-damned trade negotiations."

Author's Note:

So originally, this chapter was gonna be Celestia musing over a law she just passed and it being incredibly polarizing amongst her followers, but then I decided I'd really be pushing my luck there. But anyways, one thing I've noticed in an abundance of fanfics is that Celestia's default idle animation is "reviewing trade negotiations."

As if she can be given no other simple mundane action besides reviewing trade negotiations.

God damn trade negotiations.

PreviousChapters Next