• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,422 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,422

PreviousChapters Next
Life During Imaginary Wartime *

Twilight set down a massive box of pizza on the café table before sitting down next to Celestia on the booth.

"Geez. Took you long enough," Luna grumbled. "Gimme a piece, I'm starving."

"Y'know, one of you girls could've gone," Twilight replied sharply. "Sometimes I feel like I get the short-end just because I'm the youngest."

"Oh, hush. We did 'nose-goes,' and you lost," Cadance jibed, opening the pizza box and peering inside. "Ew, mushrooms, Twilight? Seriously?"

"Whatever," Twilight grumbled. "You should've come with me to help pick it out then. Especially considering we've done nothing but play board games in here all day. I'm pretty sure they closed the café two hours ago and were too polite to ask us to finish our game."

"What? Game?!" Luna shrilled. "Equestria is a game to you? Look at the box, Twilight! It says right there: 'Global Domination!"'

"Right underneath '...The Game of...'" Twilight rolled her eyes. Then, she turned to Celestia. "Did they try anything funny?"

"I dared not take my eyes of the board," Celestia replied, still staring intently at the game of Equestrian Risk. "Even as Luna insisted that there was something of extreme importance behind me. I'm pleased to say the Royal United Solar Alliance stands strong, and has not been tampered with by the fearsome... uh, Team Awesome Alliance."

"We will be victorious," Luna sneered. "Right Cadance?"

"Uh, sure," she said, still prodding the pizza box. "But seriously, ew. Mushrooms. You had one job, Twilight."

"Oh, quit stalling," Celestia cut in. "I believe when we left off, I was attacking you, my dear niece. You are only delaying the inevitable."

"Yeah, yeah," Cadance grumbled. The crude, balkanized map of Equestria before them was dominated primarily by Celestia's yellow and Twilight's purple, and Luna and Cadance's blue and pink were a pinprick in a sea of looming defeat.

Cadance bit into her pizza savagely. "Luna, refresh my memory as to why we allowed alliances. Between egghead and older egghead, I don't think we ever stood a chance the moment they started scheming together."

"Nonsense!" Luna said proudly. "Be confident, Cadance! Equestria will be ours yet!"

"Come on. All we've got are two armies across Griffonstone and Yayakistan. They even took the Crystal Empire from me. War's over, Luna."

"It is not!" Luna barked. "Where is your moxy, Cadance?"

"I believe I have some in my purse," Cadance replied. "Sorry, Luna. We're done. Besides, I really should be getting home before Shining forgets to feed our goldfish again. And also Flurry. We might as well surrender and keep a bit of dignity—"

"Surrender?" Luna shrilled. "We shall never surrender! Did we surrender when Tirek was rampaging through Equestria?"

"Uh..." Twilight blinked. "Well technically—"

"It is in our nature to fight!" Luna cried.

"But only by drawing colourful cards from a deck." Cadance rolled her eyes. "Fine. Pass me the dice."

"Die," Twilight growled.

"Wow," Luna scoffed. "Rude."

"No! I mean, the singular form of dice is—ah, forget it."

Cadance grasped the die proudly in her magic, holding it close to her snout as if she were about to start whispering encouraging things to it—which, admittedly, was something Twilight would expect Luna to perhaps do.

Celestia, too, levitated a pair of dice towards her and did not hesitate before rolling them onto the table individually.

"Six," she said aloud as it came to a clattering stop. She tossed her second. "Aaaand another six!"

Celestia grinned widely, already pushing her army onto Yayakistan. Cadance let out a guttural growl as she released her own dice, if only for the last of her lingering pride. "Two."

"The Kingdom of Cadenzia is no more," Celestia declared, triumphantly plucking the last of Cadance's army from the board.

"I hate this game," Cadance grumbled. She took a violent swig from a bottle of red wine on the table. "I wanted to play Malnourished Hippos."

Luna glared at the board for several seconds.

"Well, I have no chance to survive," Luna said bluntly. "Eh. I surrender. Might as well keep some of my dignity."

"I'm too tired to get mad at you," Cadance said. "To the surprise of nopony, the nerdiest rulers in the world won the nerdiest game about ruling the world."

"That sentence was a work of art," Celestia said. "Well, Twilight? As an epilogue to this lengthy quest of world conquest, shall I annex the Twilightians with the Celestian army?"

"What?" Twilight blinked. "No way! If anything, you should annex your army with mine!"

Cadance and Luna shared a glance of growing dread.

"My dear Twilight, you performed marvelously, and I am considerably proud, but if it had not been for our truce I would have been able to wipe you off the board in three turns, tops."

"Oh, yeah?!" Twilight exclaimed. "We'll see about that! I attack Canterlot! The Celestian army is going down!"

The temperature in the café seemed to drop several degrees as Celestia slowly reached for the set of white dice.

"Luna?" she said, not taking her eyes off the board. "Let the castle know I will not be returning tonight. I will be preoccupied."

"What am I to tell them?" Luna protested.

"Tell them I am going to war with Twilight Sparkle."

Author's Note:

I've been slowly chipping away at this chapter for, like, three months. Every time I've felt it's right, I've looked on it the next morning and decided it was rubbish.

Here it is in its least rubbish state.

PreviousChapters Next