• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,419 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,419

PreviousChapters Next
Pet Standing Alone

"I'm getting a pet."

"Oh." Celestia looked up from her paperwork to smile at Cadance, and promptly looked back down again. "How nice."

Silence. Celestia hummed to herself cheerily and flipped a page and Luna flicked a rolled up bit of paper at a table across the diner, quickly hiding behind a menu when it struck somepony in the skull.

"I guess I was too subtle," Cadance said. "You were supposed to ask 'what kind of pet, my dear niece?'"

"Oh," Celestia said again. "What kind of pet are you getting, my dear niece?"

"I don't know!" Cadance flailed her hooves. "I can't decide! And Shining Armor is pulling the whole 'it's up to you, honey' routine. Like, bullroar it's up to me. It's a family affair. Crazy stallion."

"I thought you already had a pet?" Luna cocked her head. "An albatross or something?

"What?"

"That thing with the huge wings?"

"Luna..." Cadance facehoofed. "That's my child. That's Flurry Heart."

"Oh."

"Uh... anyways..." Celestia scratched her mane awkwardly. "Is this going to come down to a dog pony versus cat pony debate?"

"As neither, I'm curious to see where you girls stand," Cadance said.

"Well, cats are jerks," Luna said. "Apathetic, unloving jerks. Dogs actually give a crap about you. "

"That might be," Celestia mused. "But that's what gives them personality! Who wants a pet that just unconditionally does what you ask? That seems boring to me."

"The point of having a pet is to feel superior, though!" Luna protested. "Why would I like the feeling of being bossed around by a silent yet somehow snarky feline?"

"Luna... we literally rule the nation. We're the height of superiority." Celestia pointed out. "Perhaps it is for that reason that I don't mind something that doesn't greet me with an unending slurry of 'Yes, Princess!' and 'Oh, your will be done, Princess!' and instead greets me with 'I just knocked over your favourite potted plant onto your favourite ornate rug, and I am now staring at you without remorse as you clean it up.'"

"I suppose," Luna said. "Personally I don't have to deal with a thousand years of burnout, but I guess you have a point."

"That all being said, trust me and don't get a phoenix."

"Wait, what? Why?" Cadance cocked her head. "I thought you loved Philomena!"

"I do," Celestia said. "Dearly. But having a pet phoenix is like stargazing. Only once every decade does something interesting actually happen, and the entirety of the rest of the time you don't even see them at all."

Celestia glanced at the window, as if expecting the great bird to come swooping into the café right then. "Imagine caring for an immortal cat with wings and an incendiary grenade permanently strapped to its chest. Philomena once disappeared for thirty years, found me while I was attending a wedding, and then exploded into ashes all over the bride. Then, after my extensive apologizing and her molting was complete, she vanished once again. Having an immortal bird as a companion seemed like a good idea, but they really are solitary animals."

"Doesn't Twilight have a pet owl?" Cadance said. "Wouldn't that be the same issue? Isn't that a nocturnal bird?"

"It would be an issue for any normal pony, but not for Twilight. She doesn't sleep," Luna said. "Trust me, I've checked. She may even rival my coffee intake."

"Oh? Hey, do you have a pet, Luna?"

"Are you kidding?" Celestia snorted. "She can hardly care for herself, let alone another living thing!"

"Hey! I kept that desktop cactus you gave me alive for months!"

"Yes," Celestia said. "A fake plastic cactus. And in the end you still managed to make it wilt and die."

"Whatever," Luna grumbled. "Personally, I think I'm going to go with Cadance to get a pet. Something to put your smug little phoenix in its place."

"Oh joy," Celestia drawled, casting Luna a sideways glance. "I've always wanted a third stubborn creature to take care of."

Author's Note:

Oh, by the way... I meant to have this a few chapters ago but I forgot.

Basically since I'd like to see where you all stand on the issue before thinking of taking action, I'd really appreciate it if you took a moment to fill out this poll regarding Twilight's character. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Aw don't worry people, I love Tiberius! I just have very little knowledge of the comics and the fandom's stance on their canon-ness.

PreviousChapters Next