• Published 22nd Jan 2016
  • 5,258 Views, 304 Comments

Seven Scrolls For Discord - Lise



Seven scrolls make their way to Discord's home — seven responses to his mass mail. Now is the time to discover the identity of his secret admirer... and find out what the other six senders want.

  • ...
9
 304
 5,258

7. Dear Discord, Are you trying to hurt me?

When the door to Discord's house swung open with a bang, the draconequus knew what would follow. There was only one creature in existence that destroyed first and felt guilty about it later.

"Hello, Luna," he said with a deep sigh. The two had successfully avoided each other as much as possible since his return, and with very good reason.

"WHAT IS THIS I HEAR?!" The Princess of the Night stormed in.

"Oopsie?" Discord mustered his most innocent look. Discussing his love correspondence with Luna wasn't the best of ideas... especially since an email correspondence was the reason she ended up marrying him. "Look, I'm sure there is a good explanation for every—"

"HOW DARE YOU DEPRESS OUR DAUGHTER?!" Luna shouted to his face. "THE POOR CHILD IS SUFFERING AS IT IS! SHE HAD TO GO BACK TO THE MOON JUST TO GET AWAY FROM YOU!"

"Wait, what?" Discord blinked. A second later he frowned. Another second and he crossed his arms. "Deliria? She's gone back to the moon, has she? Well, it's hardly my fault she took your lousy personality — always sighing and brooding about things. Maybe it had to do with, I don't know, taking her to the moon for a thousand years?!"

"SHE WAS CAST IN STONE!" Luna stoned her hood on the ground. "WHICH ONLY HAPPENED BECAUSE YOU HAD TO HAVE A TANTRUM ABOUT YOUR STUPID DOLL COLLECTION!"

"Action figures!" Discord hissed. "And it's not like the ponies minded. You know, what?" He closed his eyes massaging the bridge of his nose. "Just forget it! You said your part. I'll go to the moon in a bit and talk to her. Okay?"

"This is precisely the reason we don't talk anymore!" Luna snorted, yet in a more civil voice. "It was a mistake thinking anything would change! Talk to her! And if I find out she is still miserable, I'll be back!" The Princess stomped on the floor again, causing several paintings to fall off the walls and onto the ceiling.

"Fiiine." Discord grumbled.

"Say hello to Screwball for me," Luna said, walking towards the exit. "And congratulate her on her choice of wife. Rainbow Dash is a most excellent partner. Also, do try to be civil at the wedding."

"Yes, I'll be civil at... what?!" Discord wanted to ask more, but Luna had already flown off. "Did she tell all of Equestria?! How fast is Rainbow Dash exactly? And why am I the last to learn of this?"

Annoyed, he glanced at the table. A single scroll remained.

"I might as well." The draconequus took it. "Things could hardly get any worse."

Dear Discord,

Are you trying to hurt me? Seriously, are you? I poured my heart out in that letter and what do you do? Flood the town with a mass response! You didn't even bother to change the text! When I first got it, I was the happiest mare alive! I really thought you had finally caught on. Five minutes later I hear my roommate laughing her flank off, because she has received an identical letter. Do you even know how that made me feel?

You really are painful to love, you know that? Well, I don't care! Despite everything I still love you, you silly thing. Oh stars, at times I wish I didn't, but it's something I can't control. You never did see me at the Gala, did you? Nopony sees me at the Gala. I guess in part that's my job. Also, please forgive me for the things I said about Princess Celestia and Fluttershy. I don't know what came over me. Just jealousy, I guess. I know things are going well between you. The Princess often mentions how glad she is you are back to what you were, when you two were married. Fluttershy also deeply cares for you as a friend, but she has indeed confided that you are coming on a tad too forceful at times. You really haven't had much experience with friends, have you? That's what happens when you like chaos more than anything else.

You were right about my love life, or the lack of such. It really is complicated. You see, I've been staying at a place with this mare for a while. She’s nice and everything, but she obviously has a thing for me, and I don't have the courage to tell her I'm into stallions. Mostly it's been only innocent flirting, the occasional peck on the cheek — all things I can ignore. Lately, however, she has started upping her game. The hugs have been getting more intense, and a few days ago she even nibbled my ear. I so fear I'll break her heart. That's why I finally found the courage to write to you. That, and some good advice I got from a friend. Believe me, it wasn't easy! I had to bribe Princess Twilight's dragon by arranging for a table for two in the most expensive restaurant Ponyville has. I even had to provide the music itself before he agreed. In the long run, it was worth it, though. I finally got to tell you how I feel, as well as hear back from you. Although you still don't have the foggiest who I am, do you? (No, don't feel bad, it's all right.)

Nice try, but I happen to know your daughters quite well, and am aware Screwball isn't the least bit interested in getting lessons from me. Also, I know that she prefers Fluttershy to me as a potential stepmom. Nonetheless, I could describe our relations as warm and amicable. We are so very different, after all. She knows perfectly well, I cannot possibly take Princess Celestia's place. We both do.

I'm not sure I'll write anymore. Maybe it's better this way, or maybe it isn't — only time will tell. Regardless, I am glad I did, even if I sounded like a maniac in the first letter. Mother always told me I dream too big for my own good. What could I say? Under this cold exterior beats the heart of a dreaming romantic.

Goodbye, Discord. Take care of yourself. And if you come to the next Gala, if you could, keep an eye open for me.

Always waiting,

A mare that loves you.

"This is a joke," Discord said, yet found himself incapable of looking away from the words. "It must be a prank! Somepony got the date wrong and..." He sighed heavily. After so many centuries, somepony who loved him had appeared again.

This was horrible, of course! The last few times this had ended in utter disaster! The divorces were messy and what followed — ten times so. Frankly, he was lucky to be walking about.

"There's no way in Tartarus, I'm going through that again!" The draconequus threw the scroll across the room. "Not in a million—"

A knock sounded on the door.

"Of course!" Discord lifted his forelimbs to the ceiling annoyed. "Interrupt me when I'm in the middle of a life defining rant, why don't you?!" Another knock followed. "Oh, for chaos's sake, Deliria! Just teleport in like a normal being!" He shouted, heading towards the door. "How many times have we been through this? As long as you live in this house, you shall follow no set rules!" He gripped the handle, tearing the door off its hinges.

"Deliria, when will you stop acting like a—"

The sentence remained unfinished. Much to Discord's amazement, there was a pony standing at his porch — a real, unadulterated, a hundred percent normal earth pony. Her dark mane almost blended with the darkness outside, making her light grey coat stand out.

"Um." The mare started hesitantly, looking away. "Deliria told me you're home," she adjusted her bow tie, "so I decided just to come see where it was you lived. She has spoken so much about your home." Another pause. "It's almost like I I've lived here, myself. " A tense laugh followed.

Discord just kept on staring at her, very much uncertain how to react.

"This is wrong." The pony closed her eyes, shaking her head slightly as she did so. "I shouldn't have come here. It was foolish, and I should have know better. You are obviously quite busy and..." her words trailed off. Slowly she took a deep breath, then opened her eyes again, looking straight at Discord's. "Might I come in?"

"Please, by all means." Discord moved aside so she could pass. "I was just thinking of having some nice tea to go along with your melody."

Author's Note:

The final reveal!

Hopefully, will start writing the Bonus scrolls (in a separate fic) sometime in the following days.
The Rainbow Dash - Screwball relationship is also a possibility, though that would not be in letter form.

Thanks for staying along for the ride :D

Comments ( 92 )

Ha! Octavia! I don't think anyone could have seen that one coming except in hindsight!

Love it!!!! Did not even suspect Octavia! Brilliant story Lise. Utterly brilliant!

6879933
6879943
6879986

Well now you know :) Also, why did you bang your head? They'll make an interesting couple. :D

6879971 :) Deliria is a bit moody at times :P

Uh...-PrefectPony.exe has crashed. Rebooting-...Octavia? Did NOT see that coming. So many curveballs in this one fic.:derpyderp2:Amzing nonetheless!

hear my roommate

.. roommate....roommate.... and fancy. Is it.....?

I even had to provide the music itself

... Yup, it is. Seriously that was unexpected. Poor girl, she is so loved, but did even anyone thought of her?

"I was just thinking of having some nice tea to go along with your melody."

Now that was just cheesy.

Great story you've written in this short few days. It was fun.

6880197 All has become clear now :) (at least I definitely hope so)

6880236 :) Don't forget Maud. :D
Deliria is currently free. (One chaos pony wedding is enough! ... For now :))

And that's one scary theory...

So close and yet so far... 6 of 7. I could have sworn it was gonna be flutters.

6880567 Thank you :) no one expects the Spanish Inquisition :D

6880569 Well, anyone would get cheesy aster 7 scrolls. Most people could barely handle 3 :D

Very glad you enjoyed :)

6880590 I did mention it wasn't her or Celestia :)

6880560 I bloody bucking hate you right now.

WHO IS IT!?

I feel sorry for Twilight, Rarity and all the others. They all thought they were finally finding love.:fluttershysad:

Lise #15 · Jan 28th, 2016 · · 1 ·

6880623 Really? I literally spelled it out in the end of the chapter :)

6880654 They will have their matches :)

6880660 Well, there was one (at least) who saw it as a joke :)

6880665 Shh :) Censor the name.

But...... but-

6880693 it is :)

AT LAST!!!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

WILL YOU SHUT UP ABOUT BLOOD AND THE BLOOD GOD?!?!?!

whaaaaaaaaaaat hahahhahaha oh my god xD
well . . . even if this works out
then discord has to break 3 more hearts (rarity, Twi and Pinkie) and some explaining for Aj and granny should be needed as well hahaha
oh and poor Vinyl as well xD

so i guess theres still some kind of solution needed here haha
excited for more ^^

..........................Octavia?!?!

Ri2

WHAAAAAAAT?!

Well that's strange. I could've sworn it was Pinkie Pie. It seems like I really am the only person that ships them.

6881414 ...I've seen some things you wouldn't want to see with those two...

Shudders

Seriously, this can't be that surprising...

Wooooooowwww.... I did not see that one coming!!!! LIKE AT ALLL!!!! I hope that someday you will come back to this and maybe add more to it, I could see a lot of Chaos in Discords life because of this. Considering Rarity said she would be moving in and Twilight being in love with him and all that along with Tavi Oh my, this is going to get hecktic.

Hah, now THAT came out of the left field!
Well, this fic definitely deserves a favourite. It's been amusing, and being able to confuse Discord into acting normally for once is always fun to see.
That moment of realization of his though. Nice! The last sentence was pretty sweet :twilightsmile:

6880567 Curveballs? Don't you mean SCREWballs?

6881578 :) Glad you enjoyed :D
Well someone needs to tame and transform chaos :)

6881694 Deliria is nice :D Also, friends with the author

6881834 She does sound nice. Also nice twist. I was totally was blindsided there. Then again it makes sense, since she was probably present during each Gala and lives in ponyville. For a moment there while I was reading the reply letter about her roomate situation I thought you were going to make it out to be Lyra. Since she also was at the gala with a stalllion no less. As well as overly touchy roomate. Either way this makes it just as good.

Overall I'd say this was an excellent and hilarious trilogy. I had fun reading each installment and guessing at every turn. Bravo! I hope to future related stories even if they just happen to be oneshots.

Wow, I didn't see that coming.

The Octavia reveal makes sense enough, based on the context clues, but at the same time it's... weidly generic, I guess? She's just one of those characters who keep popping up all over the place here, but never seem to have much in the way of an interesting personality. I can never quite figure out what the appeal is. I guess the entire thing just was a bit of a letdown after how weird and interesting some of the response letters were. I was expecting a bit more of a twist. Still, fun read otherwise.

D48

6881439 Honestly, it really is. While Octavia does have some obvious connections in Canterlot and Ponyville, there is nothing to justify the close relationships with relatively private ponies referenced in the first letter, especially the stuff with Fluttershy who is well known to have a tiny circle of friends.

6880560 Rereading it, it now makes sense.

Now expand it please!

6882339 :) Thank you. Well, as mentioned am thinking of writing a Dash X Screwball romance. (Need a break from letters, though, so would be standard story) :D

6882565 I think she's quite nice, actually :)

6882589 Sorry :( Thought it might be nice for it to be someone who only watches from the sidelines, especially at the Gala.

6883296 :) In this case I took we to be "Dash and Screwball". A bit like "we discussed things with you father and..."

6883427 Actually the scrolls were sent on the 31st. Discord started reading them on the 1st :)


6883471 Oops. Teleported her next to him :)

6880577 not everything, for starters:

That, and some good advice I got from a friend. Believe me, it wasn't easy! I had to bribe Princess Twilight's dragon by arranging for a table for two in the most expensive restaurant Ponyville has. I even had to provide the music itself before he agreed.

Who was the "he" who gave her advice, and what advice was it?

~Leonzilla

6883018 I assumed her and Flutter's music interests would overlap. Also, thought ther characters compliment each other - both are quiet, and Octavia seems like the type who would listen to others.

A lot of assumptions on my part, I know :(

6883779 It might have been chaos, but Chaos only likes its own chaos :)

6883822 "he" is Spike. :) The "friend" is obvious, I thought. Has to do with what Octavia says when she visits Discord at the end :)

6883842 well that explains how she got Spike to write and send the original letter for her. The friend was Deliria then I presume. But how do they even knew each other then?!! Octavia and Deliria

Or whom Spike implied he might also have a crush with in his letter?

I have being rereading this beast and HO-LY #@$ How did you even go about writing all this?! what was your writing process? You can see a distinct style in every letter despite the fact that they all seemed to be filled with random nonsense (specially the first two), together they support each other perfectly (except for Spike's accusation that Dis was into stallions, that seems to be just Spike's view).

You made it so that the first letter didn't concisely point to any known character yet drew attention to several simultaneously with subtle context. Then you made the second letter that was also full of vague claims apply to every single one of the future letters which happened to be more concise and slowly one by one provided answers.

But unless you outright confirm it I find it hard to accept that none of it was a joke and that the only red herrings were the fact that it was April fools and this from the original letter:

I'm all serious now. I just really really, really want you to notice me, at least a bit when you come over.

This was said as if Discord periodically came over even though what she meant is to come over in the future and notice her.

Also, now there is tons of questions regarding what will happen next; but that's natural and to be expected. What really matters is that everything that has already happen is clear and right now I'm only pointing out what might be lose ends the big picture works no doubt about it.

Kudos,

~Leonzilla

6883955 :) Deliria's story is for another time.

As for the my process - I dream a lot :) Initially this was supposed to be a one shot. I just always develop the world of the thing before I write. :D Also, things develop as I write :) (and have great pre readers and editors for advice :))

Next thing should be the wedding, although I really must also focus on my other things...O:)

Many thanks for the kind words :D

6884038 I see.

Was there anything else to your process that you can think of?:twilightsheepish:

Login or register to comment