• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,199 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,199

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: The Meaning of Chaos (edited)

December 13th

I had been recovering for three days and I could actually walk again thanks to Twilight’s magic.

I had been reading to pass the time and found out a lot about Equestria. Surprisingly, it’s not the perfect world I thought, though still better than Earth. They had a war with the Griffin Republic about seven years ago, for example.

I was reading a book about crime in Equestria when Twilight came down.

“So what are we going to do today?” I asked.

Twilight pulled a list out of her saddle bag. “We are going on a tour. If you’re going to be staying here you’d better know where everything is, especially if you’re going to be staying with me. I might need you to run errands for me when Spike can’t. Plus, you may want to get a job.”

“What’s first?” I asked as we headed out the door.

“Well, I’m hungry, so how about Sugarcube Corner?” She smiled.

“Sweet, sounds good.”

As we walked, I got a few stares from ponies. I heard a couple muttering to each other, wondering if I was related to Zecora. I just smiled and nodded, laughing on the inside. We got to Sugarcube Corner in a few minutes and walked in. I was hoping to see Pinkie behind the counter but it was Mr. Cake instead.

“Hello, Mr. Cake, is Pinkie Pie here?” Twilight asked.

“She’s baking today,” he said.

“Oh, well in that case I’ll get two raspberry muffins,” Twilight ordered. I hoped that the mere mention of muffins would call a certain gray mailmare, but no luck.

“And for you… sir?”

“The name’s Shirotora, but call me Shiro,” I said extending my hoof to shake his. “I’ll take two Chimi-Cherries, or is it Cherry-Changas…? Whatever, I’ll take two of those.”

Pinkie burst through the door when she heard my order. “How’d you know about that? I haven’t released them to the public yet.” I gave her a look saying ‘do you need to ask?’ and she got the idea. “Oh, right. Well, since you already know about them, I’ll make you some.” With that she went back into the kitchen to make our orders.

Twilight and I found a table and took a seat. We made small talk about the weather schedule while we waited. About ten minutes later, Pinkie came out with two plates balanced on her back. We took our respective orders and I took a bite of the fruity mexican food inspired pastry.

How can I explain the taste of the Cherry-Changas? Yes, I call them Cherry-Changas. If you don’t like it, tough. It is like a piece of heaven, marinated in sex, and wrapped in bacon. If I were to die now, I’d be content.

“Oh my god, this is freaking awesome!” I moaned.

Twilight held back a chuckle through her mouthful of muffin. I think she might have tried to strike up a conversation, but I was too engrossed in the sweet dessert. The meal ended way too soon and, after a quick farewell to Pinkie and the Cakes, we were off to the Carousel Boutique. Apparently, Rarity had some saddlebags for me.

Now, if I need to say what happened when I got there then you obviously don’t know anything about Rarity. In fact, it was embarrassing, so all I’ll say is that I spent an hour and a half getting measured for a suit that I’ll likely never need.

After she was finished violating my personal space, she gave me a nice saddlebag. It was black with white trim and a yin-yang on the flap.

I had to ask, “What’s with the yin-yang?”

Rarity looked at Twilight with an expression that said, ‘is he serious?’ Twilight just shrugged.

“It’s your cutie mark, darling,” she said. “Why else?”

“I have a cutie mark?” I think I sounded a little too excited, but hey, these stories always have the human-turned-pony go through a time without one till he or she finds it like a normal pony, usually after almost dying horribly.

I turned around and sure enough, there on my flank, just peeking out from the bandages, was the upper half of a circle with black and white swirls in it.

“I take it you know what that symbol means?” Twilight asked.

“It’s a yin-yang, the symbol of balance and harmony,” I said with a grin.

Twilight smiled. “Balance and harmony. I like it. I knew there was a reason I felt you should meet my friends. Your special talent is in harmony, and we’re the Elements of Harmony.”

“Which makes you my special talent!” I said with a smile that would make Pinkie proud.

“You don’t have to say it so…” Twilight trailed off with a cringe.

“…Creepy,” Rarity finished.

“Yes, actually, I do. It’s no fun otherwise.” That earned a chuckle and an eye roll out of them.

After being offered a discount on a suit when I start getting an income, we left with my awesome (if empty) saddlebags. Next stop: Fluttershy’s cottage.

It was a nice, quaint abode with flowers and bunnies, and squirrels, and raccoons, and… you get the idea. It was like a petting zoo ran by elves. Seriously, I’m pretty sure you’ve seen the show.

Twilight knocked on the door and a familiar yellow pegasus answered. “Why, hello, Twilight. How’s your leg, Shiro?” she asked. She was actually quite comfortable around me. Maybe it’s just because she was treating my injuries.

“I’m giving Shiro a tour of Ponyville, and I figured we could get his bandage changed while we’re here,” Twilight explained.

“It might be able to come off now. Let’s take a look.” She led me inside to sit on her couch.

Twilight had already retrieved the first aid kit and Fluttershy used the scissors from it to cut the bandage away. I was fascinated by the way she manipulated the tool with her hoof despite the lack of digits.

“This is really good. There’s not a mark left,” she said. I looked to verify and, as she said, there wasn’t a single sign of injury.

It was the first time I saw my cutie mark in full. It was, in fact, a yin-yang, but in the center of it was the kanji for ‘chaos’. I took another look at my saddlebags and sure enough, it was there, too. How did I not notice that before?

Twilight noticed my surprise and asked me what was wrong.

“I just didn’t notice this symbol in the center,” I said.

“What does it mean?” Fluttershy asked.

I continued to study my flank (it’s still weird to say that) as I answered, “It means ‘chaos’.”

Twilight’s eyes grew wide before narrowing in thought. “I don’t get It. Your cutie mark means both harmony and chaos?” she asked. “Harmony and chaos are complete opposites. How can your special talent be both?”

“Harmony and chaos are the same. Think about it, what is harmony?” I asked.

“Harmony is when all things are at peace,” Twilight answered quickly, as if it were memorized from a book.

“Wrong,” I said flatly. “Harmony is when all things exist in balance with one another, even good and evil. In order for true harmony to exist, light must exist alongside darkness. When the world is in perfect harmony, chaos is born.”

Twilight looked shocked by this. “That sounds like what Discord would say. He’s a spirit of chaos, and he’s evil.”

“You’re part right,” I said. “Discord’s chaos is more of madness. Madness is type of chaos, but not the same that I’m talking about.

“Let me ask you something: would you like every day to be the same? Would you like for nothing to change; everything to stay the same, every day, forever? Or would you rather every day bring new surprises and adventures?”

“I’d rather every day be new,” she said.

“Then you want chaos. Chaos is nothing more than change and unpredictability. It is what keeps us moving forward, changing, and improving. It is the natural state of a world in harmony.”

Twilight and Fluttershy stared at the floor in deep in thought. I stayed silent, letting it soak in.

Twilight finally spoke, still staring at the floor in thought. “I’ve never thought of it that way. You know, you may be crazy, but you’re pretty smart.”

I smiled. “Why thank you, little vampire book.”

Twilight facehoofs. “And the crazy returns.”

“Did it ever leave?”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Sweet Apple Acres was HUGE!

I’ve seen farm lands and such before but, damn, this place went on forever. How the hell could two ponies work this by themselves?

I was being shown the orchard by Applejack, while Twi went to run some errands. The farmer told me about how she and her family had lived on this farm for a hundred years.

“So, you guys just go around all day kicking trees?” I asked. “How does that even work?”

“Maybe ya should just experience it for yourself. Why don’t ya try givin’ one a good buckin’?” she said with a smile.

“Okay.” I stood in front of one and decided it best not to use my newly healed leg. Instead, I stood up on my hind legs (ponies are amazingly good at this), dropped into my fighting stance and - “SAI!!!” - gave a strong... uh, punch? Screw it, I’m calling it a punch - to the trunk of the tree.

I don’t know what was more shocking; the fact that I didn’t feel a thing as my hoof collided with the solid trunk, or that the tree flew several feet away, broken in half at the spot I hit.

“Holy zap apples!” Applejack barely managed to duck in time. “How the hay did you do that?”

I was still standing there, mouth open, and eyes wide. I didn’t even hear what she said.

“Hey, Shiro, ya there?” She tapped me on my shoulder.

I managed to look over at her with the same expression. “Huh…”

“Nevermind. Ya obviously don’t know,” she said. “Help me get this tree back over here. Ah got a potion from Zecora that can fix it.”

I finally snapped out of my stupor and helped drag the tree back to its stump. We positioned it and I held it while AJ ran to get the potion.

I could only sit there and stare at the broken tree. I mean, I had seen my grandpa kick a tree down, but he was a huge Russian monster. I stared for who knows how long until AJ got back. She and Twilight arrived together, apparently having met on the way.

Twilight watched as we fixed the tree (thanks for the help, ass) before asking, “What happened?”

“Shiro broke mah tree. It was an accident, Ah’m sure,” AJ grumbled, upset but trying to remain calm.

“It was, I swear!” I replied quickly.

Twilight looked at me, her eyes wide. “How do you accidentally break a tree?”

“I, uh… punched it,” I said rubbing the back of my neck with my hoof. “I really didn’t know it would do that. I’ve never been that strong before. It must be some kind of tiger power.”

The two mares rolled their eyes. “Sure, if ya say so,” AJ said. You would think that in a land of magic they would be willing to believe me. I sighed.

“Ok, Mr. Tiger-Pony, you ready for one more stop?” Twilight asked playfully.

I jumped onto my hind legs pointing a hoof to the distance and in an overly dramatic voice called out, “Onwards, to the horizon!”

Twilight just laughed. “Or until we get to town hall.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Did I ever mention how much I hate government buildings? They’re always so drab and depressing. This is a universal truth, even in Equestria. I didn’t even get to meet the mayor, just some receptionist.

“All your information is in order,” said the mare at the desk. “This is your ID, housing forms, a one-time sustenance allowance to be use at market…” She piled a bunch of official documents on top as she droned on about how to fill them out and what was required. I lost track and was day dreaming about… you know what? It’s better that you don’t know what I day dream about. Your sanity will thank me.

“Okay, thank you, and please extend my thanks to Mayor Mare,” Twilight said as she levitated first the papers into my saddlebags and then me out the door.

“Sorry about that, Twilight. I have a severe allergy to government. It causes near fatal levels of boredom followed by spacing out,” I said with a serious expression.

“Ha ha, Mr. Funny Stallion. You are just a riot,” she said sarcastically as she deposited me on the road in front of the building.

“What is all this stuff, anyway?” I asked.

“It’s your papers for you citizenship in Ponyville. You’re going to be here for a while, whether or not you’re crazy, and this is needed if you’re going to get a job or house,” she said.

“You still think I’m crazy.” I was rather upset about that.

Twilight hung her head and sighed. “I don’t know. You’re definitely not a normal pony, but it’s just not possible to come from another world.”

“You know, for a pony who’s done the impossible so many times, you have very little faith,” I said. “Do you know what impossible means to me? A challenge.”

She thought for several seconds. “Maybe you’re right. Maybe you are from another world.”

“Of course, I’ll admit there is a possibility that I am just bonkers,” I said with a smile.

“You really are a mystery. I could spend my whole life with you and never understand,” she said.

“Why, Twilight, are you propositioning me?” I said with a faked expression of shock.

Twilight came to a sudden stop and said with a blush, “What? NO! I would never…”

I stopped and turned to her with a hurt expression. “Oh, so I’m not good enough for you now?” She makes this too easy.

“No, no, no, it’s not that. We just met a few days ago and, and, and…”

I interrupted her panicked rant. “Relax, I’m just screwin’ with you. I know what you’re saying. God, you make it too easy.”

She glared at me before chuckling. “Gods, you’re worse than Rainbow Dash.”

As if on cue, said multicolor mare landed in front of us, giving Twilight and me a startle.

“Hey, Kitty, what’s goin’ on?” Rainbow Dash said as she grinned at our reaction.

“‘Sup, Dash. Twilight was just giving me the Ponyville grand tour. Wha’cha up to?” I said.

After our little ‘talk’ at the library we became the best of friends. She came by every day with a deck of cards. I taught her how to play Egyptian Rat Screw. She’s a fast flier, but I’m still a little quicker with my hooves, and have more experience with the game.

“Well now that you’re walkin’ around again let’s hang out,” she said. “After your tour is done, anyway.”

“Oh, we’re done. Go have fun, you two.” Twilight levitated my saddlebags off my back and cantered off to her library.

“So what did you have in mind?” I asked. A wicked grin spread on her face.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“How goes your investigation, sister?” Luna asked as she walked into the Canterlot archives.

“Slow and with few results,” Celestia responded.

“Please, dear sister, let us aide you. Tell us what burdens you bear.”

Celestia sighed. “Very well. A few days ago I felt a disturbance near Ponyville. Chaos magic. It was similar to Discord’s, but it wasn’t... Wrong. It was almost playful.”

Celestia put the book she was reading down and walked to the window. “Then, not three hours later, Twilight sent me a letter telling me about a pony she met.

“She said he believed he was dreaming, and that he was a tiger before he was a pony and a human before that. He’s obviously unstable, but she felt the need to introduce him to her friends. I fear he is an agent of chaos and is manipulating her.”

Luna let her sister’s words soak in for a moment. “Yes, sister, We believe you are correct in your assumption. This creature may very well be an agent of chaos, though you forget We are a wielder of chaos as well. Chaos is a strange thing; it is neither good, nor evil. You say you feel no ill will from it. If this is true, then do not worry. No harm will befall Twilight Sparkle.”

Celestia let a smile find its way to her face. “Thank you for your encouragement, Luna. But I’m still going to be keeping an eye on him.”

“You know, sister, he may not be lying,” Luna said. “After all, he wouldn’t be the first human in Equestria. Remember Sato?”

“Yes, well, Sato didn’t turn into another being, and had no magic. Something else is going on here, I can feel it.”

PreviousChapters Next