• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,187 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,187

PreviousChapters Next
Armageddon Part 11: Finding Strength

The sunlight flickered and danced off Laalia's golden scales as she flew through the air. No matter how many times Fluttershy saw the spectacle, it always amazed her. A part of her wished she had more scales in her dragony form, but all she had was a few on her face and sides. The beauty of her grandmother's shimmering hide, though, could only distract her for a moment from the bloody battle being waged around her. It was almost too much for her to handle.

Shiro took her hunting once a few months prior. He said she needed to learn to hunt for herself for when he was gone. It was the first time she ever killed anything on purpose (the cockatrice was an accident), and she didn't come out of her house for almost two weeks. She could still see the look on the elk's face as she bit down and ended it's life. She did it one other time and found that it was a little bit easier to take, but those weren't sentient. Now, though, she was having to kill thinking, sentient beings, and it was a whole different thing.

Four. That was how many she had killed. Each one of their dieing faces was etched in her mind. It didn't matter to her that they were the most evil creatures to ever curse the land, they were still alive. In her mind she was a monster. She was so mad at her grandmother for dragging her into this. What could she do? She wasn't a fighter.

“Come Kataya!” Laalia roared over the noise of battle, “Our destiny awaits.”

Fluttershy thought she saw a hint of sadness in the ancient dragon's eyes. She knew that Laalia didn't like killing but something told her that the killing wasn't what was bothering her grandmother. She didn't have time to ponder that as said dragon took off to the distance.

Fluttershy flew along side her massive relative and asked, “Where are we going?”

“There is a foe I must face.” Replied the dragon, “And when I do you will hide and stay hidden until the battle is over no matter what. Do you understand?”

“Y-yes, grandmother.” Fluttershy responded.

They flew on for a few minutes until Laalia stopped and hovered. Fluttershy came up beside her and looked around in confusion. She wanted to ask what they were doing but knew her elder too well to think she would get an answer. Fluttershy didn't think she would ever truly understand the ancient seer, even in a thousand years. The timid pegasus got her answer anyway when a figure appeared in the distance. As it approached it became clear what and who it was. Fluttershy's eyes shrunk to pin pricks as fear gripped her. It was a dragon... the dragon that haunted her nightmares.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Waaaiiit.” Cried a little yellow filly, “Don't leave me daddy!”

She was just learning to fly, and her wings were still rather weak. It didn't matter to her though. Just being with her father was enough. He and her grandmother were all she had, as her grandfather died several hundred years ago and her mother died giving birth to her.

“Come on, Kataya.” Came the deep voice of her father, “I know you can do better than that. I'll catch you if you fall, but I'm not going to carry you. You have to learn to be strong.”

“Hay!” The filly shouted, “I am strong. I beat this one tough filly wrestling, and I can beat anypony else.”

Tolka rolled his eyes. His daughter was always boastful and always looking to pick a fight. He tried telling her that she needed to be a little less aggressive, but she was too stubborn to listen. He just hoped she would grow out of it.

“Of course you can, but I'm not talking about that kind of strength.” He said, “There are many kinds of strength; strength of body, strength of mind, and the most important, strength of spirit.”

They landed on a nice large cloud to rest as the young Kataya asked, “What's strength of spirit?”

“It's a lot of things. It's what let's you press on when things look their worst, what brings you to protect those you love, and pushes you to take care of yourself. This is why sometimes the weak can triumph over the strong.”

“Then wouldn't that make the weak strong and the strong weak?” Asked the filly.

“Yes, in a way.” Replied her father, “You see...”

He was interrupted by a deafening roar. The two looked to see the origin of the noise. A great silver dragon was flying toward them at high speed. Tolka gasped when he saw the beast.

“Kataya, fly!” He shouted.

“I'm here for you, son of Laalia!” The dragon bellowed.

“Who is that daddy?” Kataya shouted back to her father.

“Valkiir.” He answered, “An old enemy of mother's. Now fly with all you have!”

They weren't fast enough. The great silver dragon caught up with them and grabbed Tolka out of the air with one claw and swiped at the filly with the other, gashing her wing. As she fell, she looked up at her father. He had a look of horror on his face.

“Kataya!!!” He shouted as his daughter plummeted to the ground.

The last thing she saw before slamming into the ground was the silver dragon's great maw swallow her father whole.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Of course Fluttershy survived the fall, but was left mentally scared by the events. She became very reserved and anti-social, and even developed a fear of falling and dragons because of the memories the two brought up. She was taken in by a very nice pony couple after she recovered from her physical injuries. They were very good to her despite her being a dragony. She even started thinking of them as her mother and father, eventually calling them such. She started going by the Equestrian translation of her name to better fit in, and was enrolled in Cloudsdale Flight Academy. She was picked on constantly because she had yet learn to change her eyes and they betrayed her true nature. The only one that accepted her was the same filly she use to wrestle with. She even defended her on several occasions, knowing that she went through a terrible tragedy. Truly the most loyal of friends

After so many years she was still waking up some nights in a cold sweat as she relived those moments in her dreams, and now the very monster that took her father from her was coming strait for them.

“Go now, Kataya.” Laalia said, “Hide and do not come out until it's over.”

Fluttershy snapped out of her daze and did as she was told. She hid in a copse of trees where she could still see what was going on, but couldn't be seen.

“Valkiir, you're not dead.” Laalia stated, “Why are you here?”

“Simple, Laalia.” He answered, “I'm fighting on the winning side. Why would I fight those I love.”

“So you betray the living?” Asked the sun dragon, “Stop this nonsense, I've seen how this ends and it's not in your favor.”

“Perhaps you have, but you know better than any other that the future is not set in stone.” Replied the silver moon dragon.

Without letting his rival respond, he let out a jet of silver and black fire at the dragoness. Laalia countered with a blast of light that dissipated the fire, and continued through. Valkiir barely had time to dodge and went strait for for Laalia. His swinging claw missed it's mark by inches, but his tail did it's job and slammed into her side with the force of an 18-wheeler. The elder dragon roared in pain as she retaliated with a wing strike. He dodged it but realized almost too late that it was just a feint to hide the blast of light she fired at him. Valkiir barely avoided getting hit full on, but still received a nasty burn on his side where it grazed him.

“You jakkta!” He roared.

Fluttershy to gasp. Even the dirty language she heard Shiro use was never that bad. The fact that it was directed at her grandmother infuriated her. She wanted to go up there and give him a piece of her mind, but didn't want to disobey her elder. Valkiir dove down and struck her with a devastating headbutt, followed by raking his claws across her face. The silver dragon brought his claws back, straitened out like a spear.

“I've been waiting for this for a long time, my lovely.” He said and plunged his claw into her chest.

The greatest curse of being a seer was knowing exactly hoe she and everyone she knew and loved was going to die. She knew her son would be killed by Valkiir. She knew how her beloved Kataya would meet her end, as well as Celestia, Luna, each of the Elements of Harmony, and everyone else she had ever met. She knew this was going to happen, but it didn't matter to her. Because she knew Valkiir would die before she did. Laalia wrapped her legs around him, and took a deep breath as the world around her grew dim, the light being drawn to her.

“What are you doing?!” shouted the moon dragon.

The sun dragon answered by releasing the built up energy right in his face. His end was quick, which was more than he deserved. Laalia released his headless corpse and pushed him away, wincing as his claw was pulled from her body. Her strength gave out and she plummeted to the ground, landing with a crash. Fluttershy was by her side so fast Rainbow Dash would have been impressed.

“Grandmother!” Cried the timid dragony.

Laalia looked into her granddaughter's tear filled eyes, “Kataya... I'm sorry. I knew this would happen. I saw it long ago.” She reached out and caresses Fluttershy's cheek and smiled, “I've been selfish. I always call you Kataya when you wish to be called Fluttershy. You're more pony than dragon, but I wanted you to forsake your pony blood. Promise me, child, that you won't forget who you are. You are descended from proud warrior pegasi, and that is something to be proud of. But don't deny your dragon blood. Promise me.”

“I-I promise.” Fluttershy said through her tears.

“Stand in front of me. I have a gift for you.”

Fluttershy did as she was told. Laalia placed a single claw on the dragony's forehead. The ancient dragon's body was wrapped in a golden aura that swirled around her as if it were a hurricane. The golden wind spun around her outstretched claw and began swirling around the now frightened mare. The wind increased in speed and flowed into her amethyst eyes, soon disappearing. Fluttershy wanted to cry out in pain as she felt a power take hold in her. Seconds, minutes, hours... she didn't know how long it lasted, but finally, it ended and she fell to the ground gasping and sweating.

“I give you all that I am. Know that a part of me will live within you forever more.” The dieing dragon gave a weak smile, “Now go. Shiro needs you. I love you... Flutter... shy.”

The ancient sun dragon's eyes lost focus, and her heart beat it's last beat. Fluttershy wrapped her front hooves around her neck and cried.

“There, there child.”

The memory came unbidden. She instantly recognized it as the day of her father's funeral.

“Everything will be OK.” Said Laalia.

“He's gone, grandmother.” Said the young Fluttershy, “Why did he have to leave me.”

The great dragon gently put her claw around the filly, careful not to hit her still injured wing, “He didn't want to go. He had to, and now you must be strong.”

“I can't!” Fluttershy yelled, “I'm not strong. If I was strong I could have saved him.”

The dragon let out a sigh, “You have a strong spirit. Never forget that. Let this serve to strengthen your spirit further. Listen to me, Kataya. There will come a day that you will be overcome with grief. It will be a dark day for all of us, but you will have to be strong. On that day you will have a choice. You can mourn your loss and lose your friends, or you can fight to protect those you love.”

“But what if I'm too scared?” Asked the child.

“Then press on, despite that fear.” Replied Laalia.

“How?” Fluttershy asked.

“That's something I can't teach you.” She answered, “Just trust in yourself, and never forget who you are or what's important to you.”

“I'm sorry, grandmother.” Fluttershy said, “I denied you, and my heritage.”

The grieving mare looked up, a fierce determination burned in her soul, “No more.”

Fluttershy released her grandmother and started walking toward where she saw Jetaga take Shiro. Her body shimmered in the sunlight as she began to shift. Her front hooves became claws, the fur on her face and sides was replaced by scales, and her wings grew and became thinner, more draconic, but retained feathers. She took one last look at the fallen seer as a drop fell down her cheek.

“I am Kataya, daughter of Tolka and Posy. I have the blood of a sun dragon within me. I will never deny who I am again!” She shouted as she shot into the sky.

The dragony flew with a purpose. As she passed over the battlefield once again she was beset by a small flock of harpies. She tore through them without remorse, rending their flesh with tooth and claw. They were a plague on this world and deserved the death they received after all the innocent lives they took. Flying at speeds that rivaled ever Rainbow Dash, she saw Ponyville come into view, and what was attacking it. She watched as it fought against a trio of fire jets.

“Hold on Shiro, I'm coming.” She said as she headed to her friend's side.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Our fires stopped. We were getting tired and it was barely slowing him. The three of us were panting. I didn't know what else we could do.

“Shiro!” a voice called out.

I saw Fluttershy flying towards us. She seemed different somehow. There was a sadness in her eyes, but there was also a confidence I had never seen in her before.

“Fluttershy.” I called back, “You shouldn't be here. It's dangerous.”

“I'm not going anywhere.” She said with an uncharacteristic determination, “We're going to show this thing why you don't buck with Ponyville.”

I died... that's the only explanation. That giant crushed me and now I'm in hell with a Fluttershy that cusses.

“And Shiro,” She said, offering a smirk, “Call me Kataya.”

The whole area around us started growing dark. At first I thought it was the giant or some other threat, but when I noticed a bright glow I couldn't believe my eyes. Flut... Kataya was drawing the light into an intimidating orb held in her jaws.

When I realized what it was I shouted to the others, “Hit'em again!”

All four of us unleashed our power at once. The four attacks swirled around each other, melding into one massive blast that struck the giant square in the chest. The behemoth bellowed out in pain as his body was disintegrated. We all let our a victorious cry.

“We did it” Said the pegasus.

“Damn strait.” I said, “Come on. Let's get back to the battle”

With that, the four of us headed back to the foot of the mountain top rejoin the fight.

PreviousChapters Next