• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,187 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,187

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49: Jungle of Hell

September 3, 1005,

It was FUCKING HOT!!!

I mean it had to have been like 130 degrees out, and don't get me started on the humidity! I shit you not, each breath quenched my thirst. I'm essentially a Siberian tiger, you know, hunting in blizzards. I was more comfortable when I was sitting around with two cups of blood left in me. Hell I was more comfortable when I had Celestia's unreal power trying to rip its way out of me. At least that was to save Equestria, this was just because some Kajit wannabes were racist.

Anyway, Daring, Echo, and I had just arrived at the village we were going to get supplies at. Care to guess what town? Yeah, Wethoof. The place with the little hydra problem. Of course it wasn't as bad as in Ballad, just about a dozen juveniles and two adults, but they were unnaturally aggressive.

As to not terrify the populous, Daring walked on one side of me and Echo on the other. That way the ponies could see I was with them. It worked quite well seeing as they just looked at me nervously instead of running for their lives.

We gathered a few things we would need. Most of it was stuff that was difficult to export, since it was cheaper to get it here. Some medicinal herbs, a fireless torch that uses some glowing rock I didn't recognize, and some food. I didn't see any of the characters fro the Ballad, but they might not even be real.

We didn't stay long and headed out after maybe an hour. With the town behind us we headed south into the jungle. The hot, humid, hell of a jungle.

“Why couldn't this thing be in the north?” I asked miserably.

“Would you quit complaining!” Daring said, “You've been crying about the heat since we got off the airship. Deal with it.”

“Do you see this beautiful snow white and black striped fur?” I said, pointing to myself, “It's meant to keep me warm in arctic cold. Try wearing a heavy coat here and tell me you wont be miserable and complaining.”

“I could shave you if you'd like.” said Echo giving my a mischievous grin.

I glared at him for a moment, “Don't make me get the news paper.”

“Try it, ya twat.” he replied. We glared at each other for several seconds before we both busted out laughing. Well, I laughed. He made a weird throaty noise (one of the few he could) that was kinda like laughing.

Daring rolled her eyes, “Males. They reach a certain age and just stop.”

“It's called having fun, teach.” I said.

She just rolled her eyes and chuckled a little. The mood was light as we walked through the thick jungle Despite my misery, I had to admit I was having fun. Echo actually has an awesome sense of humor. For example, I picked up a stick while they weren't looking and threw it saying “Fetch!” and he actually started to chase it for like four or five paces before he caught himself. Of course he got me back while I was stargazing that evening. He dangled a feather he found in front of my face and without thinking I started pawing at it. Damn instincts.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

September 9, 1005,

You would think that walking through a jungle filled with unseen danger would be exciting. Truth is the most dangerous thing we had encountered were the bugs, tiny, annoying, blood-sucking bugs. They were everywhere. It was so bad I was glad when something finally happened.



We were walking along toward our destination when my kitty senses started tingling. By that I mean that tingling in my paw I get when someone's about to get attacked. Unless there just happened to be another group of explorers around, we were about to have company.

There! I heard a faint rustling heading right for daring.

“Get down!” I yelled as I moved between the approaching danger and the pegasus.

I got there just as a jaguar leaped towards her, instead it's teeth sank into my left forearm. I yelled in pain before throwing it off. It staggered to it's feet, giving me a psyco glare. I drew my spear, ready to defend against it's next attack. Just as it's rear legs tensed to pounce, it's skull was crushed under the staff of everyone's favorite mute puppy.

“Thanks for the assist.” I said to Echo.

“No, thank you for saving Daring.” he said, “Daring and I usually sense these things. I’m not sure why we didn't this time.”

“No kidding.” Daring said, “I owe you my life. Here, let me take care of that.”

We decided to take a break while Daring treated the bite mark. She applied a generous amount of antiseptic and wrapped a bandage around it. We went ahead and ate lunch while we were stopped, which I ate with my free paw.

“We should be there by tomorrow afternoon as long as nothing goes wrong.” Daring said.

“Have you been there before?” I asked.

“Yeah, but one of those barriers that only let cat's in blocks the entrance.” she answered.

“Great,” I said, “so I’ll have to get you guy's in before we can sleep under cover.”

“That's about the size of it.” said Echo.

“Great,” I said, “Ow!” she finished with a strong tug of the bandage.

“Quit being such a baby.” she said, “Let's get moving.”

With that, the three of us set out once again, hoping this whole trip would be worth it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

September 10, 1005,

I had to give it to them, those cat guys built things to last. The ruin was in pretty good condition for being well over 1300 years old. The closest thing I could compare it to would be Aztec design, though the vines covering it made it difficult to see.

“The majority of the temple is actually underground.” Daring said, noticing my look of awe, “It descends several floors.”

“I think I played this game.” I said, “Where's that kid with the peg leg?”

“OK, the entrance is over here.” Daring had already gotten use to my randomness (which kinda takes the fun out of it).

Echo and I followed Daring around to the side where the doorway was. There was no gate, door, or any physical barrier of any kind what so ever. I looked around the entrance trying to find any hint of what kind of barrier it was.

“Go ahead, Shiro.” Echo said, “See if you can pass through it.”

I raised my paw in front of me as I walked forward. As soon as I crossed the threshold I felt the telltale tingle of magic. I turned around and examined the barrier. Pulling out some instruments, I first tried to ascertain the nature of the magic.

“Hmm. That's interesting.” I said, “Jynx would love to hear about this.” I pulled out my chystech phone and tried to call her, “It's not working. This place must have wards to prevent magic from entering or leaving. Probably to keep out teleporters.”

“So what does that mean?” Echo asked as he leaned against the barrier.

“Just that I’ll need to leave if I’m going to call anyone.” I answered.

I began fumbling with my necklace as I looked around for a means of disabling the barrier. I found it helped me think. It helped this time too. I looked back at the canine leaning on air. I walked over to him and reached out to touch his shoulder. The moment I made contact he fell through, right on his ass.

He jumped up and growled at me “What was the hell was that ya bloody wanker.”

“Just getting the door for you.” I said, “Daring, if you will.”

She walked up to the barrier and placed a hoof on it. Like before when I touched her, she passed right through.

“How did you figure that out?” she asked.

“You said it only lets cats through.” I said and held up my necklace, “This is pony hair and feathers. It passed through because I was wearing it. I figured if I was in contact with anything when I passed through, it could too. I just had to test it. Thanks Echo.”

“Next time give a bit of a warning, will ya.” he said.

“I'll be right back. I need to go outside to call Jynx. I'll be right outside if you need to go out for whatever.” I said.

“I'm good.” said Daring, “I'm going to look around here for a bit.”

“Hold on,” Echo said, “I gotta use the loo.”

The two of us stepped out. Echo quickly jumped into a bush while I called Jynx.

“Hay honey.” she said when she answered, “You're calling early.”

“We're at the temple.” I told her, “It's warded to keep magic energy from entering or leaving, so I won't be able to call when I’m down there.”

“Oh,” she seemed upset by that, “Well make sure you come outside to call me.”

“I found something interesting about the barrier that keeps everyone but cats out.” I said.

“Oh, and what pray tell is that?” she asked.

“It doesn't use elemental magic.” I said, “It uses ethereal magic.”

“What?” she said, “Are you sure? That's not even possible. Did you double check? Did you account for interference?”

“I;m sure, I checked it seven times, and I isolated the signal.” I told her, “There's no doubt. It makes me wonder what other kind of “impossible” magic can be found here.”

“Could you take detailed notes of anything you find?” she said, not even trying to hide the excitement in her voice, “I want to know about anything you find. Please? I'll give you head...” she offered.

“Well in that case...” I said.

“Oh, guess what your son did.” she said.

“Which one?” I asked.

“The oldest one.” she answered.

“Midnight?” I asked, “I'm guessing the other Crusaders were involved.”

“They had the idea to hold the first ever Ponyville Derby... on timber wolves.” she said, “They even sold tickets for five bits a piece.”

I facepawed, “What's the damage, and who do we owe.”

“Actually they made 325 bits.” she said, “The mayor wants to know if he can make it a weekly event. She thinks it'll bring in tourism. She's with the Crusaders now planing on where to put the track.”

“Wait,” I believe what I just heard, “Are you saying one of those four's crazy, hair brained ideas actually worked?”

“Yeah, I know.” replied Jynx, “I was as shocked as you.”

“You know, wolf racing does sound pretty cool.” I said.

“It's exciting.” she said.

“What all has Razor done?” I asked.

“He mad Mr. Snugly Face dance around the room.” she said.

I laughed at the thought of his teddy bear moon walking, “I wish I was there to see it. I miss you guys.”

“We miss you too. Stay safe and come home soon.” she blew me a kiss.

“I will.” I returned the gesture and hung up.

I went back to the temple and saw Echo leaning against the wall, “Let's go.” I said.

“Will that thing work for me?” Echo asked.

“What, my phone?” I asked, “I'm not sure. I don't think it will. It only sends audio and visual information. It doesn't read psychic speech. I might find a way to modify it to though.”

“I'd like that.” he said, “My mum lives lives too far away to see regularly.”

“I understand.”I said, “If I can't, I’ll ask Jynx to look into it.”

“Thanks,” he said, “you're a good mate.

We walked through the barrier, my paw on his shoulder. Daring was looking at a wall in the back of the entrance room. She had a very curious expression.

“What'cha lookin' at Daring?” I asked

“I'm not sure.” she sounded rather shocked, “But you should probably see this.”

A scene was depicted on the wall. It was a snow covered hill overlooking a small, familiar town. What made it weird, though, was the figure that sat on top of the hill looking down. Daring and Echo both looked at me in shock.

“I think I know who the Traveler is” Daring said.

I barely heard her. I was too busy trying to figure out why a temple built 1300 years ago had a picture of me on the wall.

*******************************************************

Fact #4 Ethereal magic is magic that is use to "fade" into the ether. It's used for things like teleportation, intangibility, and "far sight".

PreviousChapters Next