• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,160 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 61: She's Not a Zombie!

December 12, 1005,

Luna paced nervously back and forth in the waiting room of the Canterlot Urgent Care Center. Celestia was in bad shape. The blood loss Celestia suffered would have killed a mortal five times over and the trauma from having the spirit torn from her was severe. Doctor Healing Hooves was one of only four doctors in Equestria qualified to treat alicorns. He was pulled from Ponyville along with his wife Derpy (whom the others still think is just an innocent mailmare) and daughter Dinky for an extended stay while Dr. Remedy was in the Griffin Nations. He was operating on the princess while a local zebra worked to make salves and medicines to help speed her recovery.

Twilight threw open the door and skidded to a stop in front of Luna, “Where's mom? Is she OK? What happened to the Nightmare?”

“Slow down, Twilight.” Luna said, “She's still in surgery. We'll know as soon as she's out. And the Nightmare will harm nopony else.”

“It's OK Twi, she's a tough old lady.” I said causing her to jump a little.

She looked back at me like she expected to see a ghost, “Shiro? You're alive? But I thought you went to...” Her eyes widened even more when she saw who was beside me, clinging to my foreleg, “Jynx... how? None of this is possible. Nopony can survive Tartarus and nopony can escape.”

“You forget I’m not a pony.” I said.

Her eyes narrowed at me and snapped, “Well you were when I met you. As far as I’m concerned that makes you subject to the same laws of nature as ponies.”

“Well I’m sorry I’m alive, Twilight. I'll go kill myself so you'll be happy.” I shot back.

“That's not what I meant. I just...” She sighed, “I'm sorry. I'm not mad at you and I shouldn’t taken my frustrations out on you. I just hate not being able to understand things and ever since you showed up it's been one impossible thing after another. It's really starting to eat away at my sanity.”

“Yeah,” I said with a smirk, “Because you're a paragon of sanity. What happened when you were tardy?”

“Uh, I enchanted a doll?” She said.

I gave her a very bemused expression, “So the fire had nothing to do with you.”

She chuckled from embarrassment. She looked at Jynx and her smile faded.

“Jynx, are you OK?” She asked sympathetically, “I mean, do you want to , um... talk about...”

“No!” Jynx cut her off a little forcefully, “I mean, no thank you. I just want to forget about it.”

I didn't like the thought of her bottling it up, but she needed time. I wouldn't force her to talk before she's ready.

The door opened and Dr. Hooves came into the waiting room. Luna and Twilight damn near trampled me to get to him.

“Princess Celestia is stable. She's still unconscious but she should be fine. I suspect she'll wake tomorrow, but she'll be very weak for some time. I'm suggesting she rest from her sun raising duties for three months.”

“Three months?” Luna's eyes widened, “It had been difficult raising the sun and moon for four days. We are not as powerful as Celestia.”

“Well right now a ten year old filly is more powerful than her.” Said the doctor.

“Hear that Sweetie, you're more powerful than a goddess.” I said.

“Really?” She said from her seat, “Cool, I can't wait to tell Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Midnight... well Applebloom and Scootaloo.” Her mood suddenly dropped.

“Why not Midnight?” Jynx asked.

“He took your,” I hesitated, “What happened very hard. He doesn't eat, talk, play, move. He's almost catatonic.”

“Well what are we waiting for!” She said, “I need to get home.”

“I know we're waiting for Rarity and AJ.” I said.

A couple minutes later the two finally found their way to the hospital.

“Twi, is the princess alright?” AJ asked, “Hi Shiro, Hi Jynx. Is it true that...” She stopped mid-sentence and turned around, “J, Jynx? Oh my stars, yer alive... aren't ya? Goddess tell me ya ain't undead.”

“No Applejack, I'm not undead.” Jynx said, “At least I don't think I am. I'm going to have to run some tests to see if there is anything unusual with my body, but I’m fairly certain I'm completely alive. I think I broke Rarity.”

Sure enough the high class pony was standing there staring at Jynx. Sweetie Bell stood beside her and waved a hoof in front of her eyes.

“Um, Rarity?” Sweetie said, “Are you OK?”

“Hu, ma, na, wha?” Rarity finally snapped out of her trance, “I'm fine Sweetie Bell... Sweetie Bell?! What are you doing here?”

“She helped defeat Nightmare.” I said, “We needed powerful unicorns to restrain her. We had Trixie, Shiny, Cadence, and Luna, but we needed a fifth and Sweetie Bell, unfortunately, was the only one powerful enough to cast the spell. I know you're upset about it, so am I, but we had no choice. It was that or let Nightmare get too powerful to stop.”

Rarity looked at me with her jaw hanging wide and her eyes wider. I thought I broker her again until the most unlikely thing happened... she smiled. I suddenly had the urge to go back to Tartarus where it was likely safer. Instead of skinning me for a new rug though she just took her sister in a hug with tears in her eyes.

“Oh my little Sweetie. I am so proud of. You must have been so scared but you soldiered on. My brave little sister.” She said, “Just don't do it again until you're older. At least thirty years.”

“You aren't mad?” Asked Sweetie.

“Yes, I am.” Was her answer, “Part of me wants to use Shiro's hide to make drapes (shudder), but I also understand that the whole of Equestria was on the line.”

Rarity broke the hug and looked her sister in the eyes, “You have a gift that many unicorns would hive their two back legs for. You're meant for greatness and I’ll just consider this practice. Besides you were surrounded by some of the most powerful mages in the world. Now, I think it's about time to go home”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Luna procured a pegasus drawn carriage for us, so the trip was only about an hour. It was only me, Jynx, Rarity, Sweetie, Applejack, and Autumn returning. Trixie was going the opposite direction and Twilight was staying in Canterlot to help Luna with her mothers duties. Jynx was still being very clingy. I don't really blame her though. Just what I saw those things doing to her was horrifying, and I was sure that wasn't all they did. The carriage landed in front of sugar cube corner and the six of us got out, thanking our escorts. AJ bid us farewell and headed back toward her farm, while the rest of us went in the bakery. Jynx and had to get our sons and Rarity was treating a her little hero to a cake.

“Hello, dearies.” Mrs. Cake said as her husband gave us a smile, “Oh, Shiro, Pinkies upstairs with the foals. Hello Rarity, Sweetie, and Jynx.”

The two went back to work for a moment before they looked at each other in shock, then back to Jynx. We ignored them and went upstairs.

“Pinkie?” I called at the top.

Her bedroom door flung open and a pink blur slammed into me. If not for Jynx catching us in her magic we would have been very sore.

“Oh my gosh, Shiro, you're alive!” Se was crying into my coat, her mane was just starting to curl at the ends.

“I'm not the only one, Pinks.” I said.

“Hi Pinkie.” Jynx said.

Pinkie took a few tentative steps toward her. She looked at the unicorn up and down as if she were looking for the trick.

“Is that really you?” Pinkie looked back at me, “You really did it?”

“Yeah, I'm real...” Jynx was cut off when Pinkie wrapped her hooves around her.

“I thought I’d never see you again.” Pinkie's mane curled just a little bit more, “Come on!”

Pinkie grabbed Jynx by the hoof and pulled her into her room. Razor was asleep snuggling with Surprise on the bed while Midnight was sitting in the corner, still staring into space. Jynx looked like she was going to break down at the sight. Pinkie and I sat by the door so Jynx can try to snap Midnight out of it.

“Midnight?” She said. She placed a hoof gently on his cheek and moved his eyes to her, “I'm home, sweetie. Mommy's home.”

For the first time in days his eyes focused, and my heart almost stopped.

“Mm.” He was trying to speak, “Mo... MOM!”

He threw himself at her as he let out all the pain and sorrow that had nearly broken him. I wasted no time lending my support, joining in the embrace. Pinkie smiled, her mane almost at it's full volume, and left us to ourselves.

“I'm so sorry, Midnight.” Jynx cried as she held our son, “I'll never leave you like that again.”

We didn't speak anymore. Instead we caught up on all the hugs and joy that we missed. Somehow, through all that, the babies slept.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

We were all sitting at the Cake's table in the back eating cupcakes. Pinkie Pie had just joined us with her new daughter. She set the filly down so she and Razor could play.

“So that's the changeling?” Jynx asked.

“Yep, I named her Surprise.” Pinkie said.

Jynx chuckled, “What's with you and those bronies? You know they'll never know you actually exist and you're never going to actually meet one right?”

“I know they don't think I’m real, but they're still my fans.” Pinkie said, “And I have met one. Shiro's a brony remember.”

“She's right.” I said, “I still watch the show some times.”

“I know.” Jynx shook her head, “I still don't get why though. You're friends with everypony from the show, and one of them is your sister-in-law.”

“Not really. The ponies in the show are very different from the ponies their based on.” I said.

“You're hopless.” She said with another shake, “So Pinkie. I have two questions. One, how do you know it's a she? And two, how is it disguised?”

“Changelings are still ponies, silly.”Pinkie said, “I know she's a filly the same way my parents knew I was a filly. The second question... um... can I ask you guys a question before I answer yours?” we agreed, “Do you think changelings can be good?”

I had to think for a moment. I've only ever seen two, and one was right in front of me. Eventually I had an answer for her.

“Surprise's birth mother, though I didn't know her, was content spending time with her foal in the park. I can't see her being evil, so yes I do think they can be good.” I said.

Jynx added, “I agree. Why are you asking?”

Pinkie hesitated, “I know a changeling. I've known her for five years, and what she is for a year now. She's very nice, and is always helping ponies. She disguised Surprise for me.”

“Five years? Wow she's good to be hiding that long.” I said, “I'm glad she has a friend like you to confide in.” I sat there thinking for a moment, wondering who it could be, “I'm guessing you promised you wouldn't tell who she is.”

“Please don't tell anypony that there's even one here. I don't want her being hunted like a criminal.” Pinkie pleaded.

“Don't worry, Pinkie we won't tell.” Jynx said.

“Of course not,” I agreed, “I wouldn't rat out a friend of yours.”

“Thanks you two.” said the party pony, “Speaking of party ponies, I've never thrown a welcome back from the dead party!”

Jynx winced at the name, “How about we just call it Razor's birthday party.”

“Oh my gosh, you're right!” Said Pinkie, “He never got his party

“Midnight,” I said to the colt, “You've been unnaturally quiet.”

“I'm sorry, dad.” He said.

“You alright, kid?” I asked.

He nodded and said, “I'm just thinking.”

“About what?” I asked.

“Is mom a zombie?” He asked.

I couldn't catch the snort in time before asking, “What?”

“Well, Spike told me zombies are ponies that are dead but walk around like they were alive.” he clarified.

“Oh, my little stallion,” Jynx said and hugged him, “I'm not dead anymore. Your dad saved me, so now I’m alive again.”

“You guy's ready to go?” I asked.

“I can't wait to sleep.” Jynx said.

“Can I watch TV when we get home?” Midnight asked.

“Fine, but only for an hour.” I said, “I'm not going to have you become Equestria's first couch potato.”

“But I like potatoes.” He said with a grin.

I looked at my family and friend and couldn't help but think about how easily they can bounce back from tragedy. The grim realization came to me that the reason is because ponies are still prey animals. I had almost forgot how things were before I arrived. I wondered if that was the real difference between humans and ponies.

Jynx grabbed Razor and left through the back door with Midnight. I took another look at the changeling disguised as a pegasus, “Pinkie, her wing needs fixed.” It had changed back into the insect-like membrane, “See ya.”

After I left, Pinkie picked up her adopted daughter and nuzzled her, “Come on Surprise, let's go ask aunt Lyra to fix your disguise.”

PreviousChapters Next