• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,187 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,187

PreviousChapters Next
Armageddon Part 8: We Few

“Never thought Ah'd be wearin' this stuff fer real.” Applejack said.

She walked up wearing a black outfit that looked like it was made from leather. It covered her torso and neck, and had a skirt that protected her flanks. Designs were inlaid in silver all over. She had silver bracers with blades coming from the sides. Draped across her back was a saber and her heavy crossbow. She didn't have her hoof crossbows for once.

“Damn, AJ.” I said, “You look hardcore, as hell. Um... is that leather?”

She looked back at it and winced, “Yeah, Ah don't like wearin' it, but it's made specifically fer fightin blood suckers. The silver is enchanted with spells that strengthen the armor, and the neck guard keeps'em from snackin on me. This here saber also has silver runes on it that makes it glow with artificial sunlight.”

“Damn that's cool, but... no fancy 'Van Helsing' gear?” I asked.

She gave me a bemused glare, “Do you know how ridiculous that stuff that feller's got really is? When dealin with vampires of any sort, simple is best. Dash said it's all vamponies, so launchers are gonna be useless, since they move too fast and ya ain't ganna it nothin.”

“So they can dodge the shots?” I asked, “How are you going to fight them if they're that fast?”

She grinned, “Ah got mah ways. Just don't be scared when ya see what Ah can really do.”

“I'm about to have another WTF moment aren't I.” I said.

“Yeah, ya are.” She said.

“Why am I still having these after more than three years?” I asked.

“Cause ya make this adorable lil' face when yer brain breaks, and we all like seein it.” She answered with a smirk.

“Yeah, you do, honey.” Jynx said beside me.

Jynx was wearing prototype combat enhancement armor. A kind of full body version of my gauntlets, but with some ballistic weapons. She got the idea from watching Iron Man, although her suit doesn't fly and is primarily close range.

I shook my head, “Who cares right now. Look.”

I pointed overhead where Dash was flying in figure eights, signaling the enemy was almost here. I signaled that I saw by shooting a bit of fire into the air. I turned back to the few ponies that stood with me. They were terrified beyond belief.

I whistled to get everyone's attention, “Listen up! In a few minutes the enemy is going to be coming over that rise and we're going to be engaging in a fight in which the odds are sorely against us. I know your scared, I am too. It's been said that the only ones that don't fear war are the insane and the ignorant. The creatures of hell are ruthless and sadistic, but we have one advantage. We're fighting not for ourselves, but our friends and neighbors, our brothers and sisters, our husbands and wives, our sons and daughters. Only when one fights for the sake of another do they know true strength.”

“But there's a thousand of them and only a few of us. Do you really think we can win against that?” An earth pony stallion said.

I nodded and answered, “Yes, and when we do we will be hailed as heroes. In the years to come, on this day you will stand proud, show your scars, and say, “I was one of the few that was there when the horde came to Ponyville. We stood against a thousand with courage and valor, and we emerged victorious.” We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. And those that listen shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon this day.”

A roar erupted from the small group as they riled themselves up.

Jynx gave me a warm smile and said, “Nice use of Shakespeare. ”

“The Bard knew his stuff.” I said.

We stood ready as the first of the enemy crested the hill. Dash took unloaded on the most dangerous targets she could kill with a single head shot. Five rounds six dead as one of the shots penetrated a trolls skull and killed the imp behind it.

“Unicorns! Fire!” I yelled.

The nine unicorns, Phoenix, and I started launching our respective bolts of magic into the advancing army. We tore chunks out of the demons before they started charging down the hill. I watched their mad dash toward what they surely assume will be an easy slaughter... when you're right you're right.

“NOW!” I yelled out to Octavia who was holding a crystal in her hoof.

She touched the stone to a wire and muttered a single syllable. A thunderous explosion rocked the ground as bodies were sent flying through the air. The volatile and unstable chemicals and experiments took out a good three hundred of the things, including the majority of the trolls. The survivors weren't even fazed by the deaths and continued on their way down.

“Retreat!” I yelled, and our group moved to the next stage of the plan.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The rumble of the massive explosion rocked the shelter. The ponies inside were worried. They never actually thought this many creatures would come to their small country town. Some, though, had other reasons to worry. Two mares in particular, were trying to comfort each other. Both had husbands out there fighting, one just outside the door, the other on the front lines. Both were terrified they would become single mothers.

“Oh my.” said Mrs. Cake, “That sounded a lot closer than I thought it would be.”

“That was loud.” Pinkie said with a hoof in her ear as if trying to remove the bang, “I'm going to go check on Surprise. I’m sure that sound woke her up.”

“Speaking of which, mine are probably up to no good.” Said Cup as she went off to find the twins.

Pinkie laughed guiltily. She knew the reason they were such trouble makers was because of her. She tried to teach them the difference between good clean pranks and cruel jokes, but they didn't catch on to that part. Shaking her head of the thought, she made her way to the nursery. The other cribs were empty as everyone else either kept their foals close or in the care of another. When the pink party pony walked in she expected the room to be empty, but instead there was a mare that Pinkie recognized from somewhere. What made her nervous though was the fact that she was standing over Surprise.

“Um, hello.” Pinkie said, “Can I help you with something?”

The mare started at the unexpected voice. She looked at Pinkie in confusion and then recognition.

“You...” She said.

“Me!” Pinkie said with a smile, “I don't think I've ever met you before.”

“Oh, uh,” The mare said, “We probably live on opposite sides of town.”

Pinkie's eyes narrowed, “So you live in Ponyville then?”

“Yeah, I've been here for about a year noACKKK!” Pinkie slammed her against the wall wit a hoof on her throat before she could finish her sentence.

“Who are you?” Pinkie interrogated the mare, “I know everypony in Ponyville and I don't know you. Why did you lie?”

“Fine... I'm here... for my... daughter.” She squeezed out as her eyes flashed green.

Pinkie released her from her grip, stunned. That's where she knew this Pony from. That day in the park. This was Surprise's real mother. Pinkie instinctively grabbed her adopted daughter and moved away from the changeling.

“No, I won't let you have Surprise.” She said franticly.

“What? Surprise?” The changeling was shocked when she realized what was going on, “You've been taking care of her? You do know what she is right?”

“I don't care!” Pinkie's mane had flattened, and she cried at the idea of loosing her child, “I don't care if she's a changeling, she's my daughter.”

The changeling looked at the mare in confusion, “Why are you doing this? Your kind hate my kind. Your princess murdered me just for existing, and yet you take my child is as your own. Why?”

“Because she needed me.” Pinkie said, “She was all alone and I know not all changelings are bad. I even have a changeling friend that's been helping me care for her. I just wanted a foal of my own, but I can't so...”

The pink mare couldn't hold it together and more and broke down in tears. She knew it was wrong to keep Surprise from her real mother, but that didn't make it hurt less. The changeling sat silently, knowing that she was causing this kind pony pain. She didn't want to hurt her, but her daughter belonged with her own kind.

“Can I just have a few moments with her?” Pinkie asked.

The changeling nodded her head, “Um, I never got your name.”

“I'm Pinkie Pie.” Said the pink mare.

“My name is Ruby Heart.” Replied the changeling, “Thank you for taking care of her. I don't know what I would have done if something happened to her.”

“Um, maybe you can move here? That way I can at least be close to her.” Pinkie said.

“Yeah,” Ruby started, “I just might.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Aww, come on.” Midnight pleaded, “I can go to the forest and get a bunch of timber wolves to help. It'll make everything so much easier.”

“No, Shiro told me to keeping you safe, and it is not safe out there.” Mephisto said the kid, “I consider you a little brother and I don't want you to get hurt.”

“But I'm five years older than you.” Said the colt.

“Dogs age faster than ponies.” Replied the dog, “The point is, if you go out there you'll get hurt. I couldn't live with myself if that happened. Besides if something happened to you, who would I talk to? You're the only pony that can understand me.”

“Hi Midnight, hi Mephisto.” Applebloom said as she took a seat beside the midnight blue colt, “Y'all talkin' again, huh.”

“He won't let me get some timber wolves to help fight.” Midnight told his fillyfriend.

“Oh,” She said, “Can't ya call them from the door?”

“No, They'll only hear me if I'm near the woods.” He answered.

“And a bunch of monsters are between us and the woods.” Mephisto said.

“But there's a bunch of monsters between us and the forest.” said Applebloom.

“See.” Said the black canine, “Even she knows it a bad idea to go out there.”

“So we need a way to sneak past 'em” Applebloom said.

Mephisto facepawed.

“What's wrong with him?” Asked the filly.

“Look,” Mephisto said, “I know you want to be out there, I do too, but Shiro asked us to stay here.”

“Why though?” Midnight asked, “You're a better fighter than almost anypony so why keep you here?”

“Because Shiro is pretty sure that at some point they're going to find their way here.” He answered, “That's also why we didn't brick up the walls. We kept them dirt so you can draw plants in.”

Midnight was stunned by the fact. He didn't realize that his dad expected him to help defend the shelter. Was that why Laalia was teaching him to fight?

“If the enemy makes it's way here. You're going to need to use your plants to help protect everyone.” Said Mephisto, “In fact you should call some lose to the walls right now, so they're ready when you need them.”

“What he say Mid?” Asked Applebloom.

“He said the bad guys are going to find us, and we'll have to fight them off.” He answered, “We have to warn everypony.”

“No!” said the dag sternly, “If they know they'll panic and try to leave, if they leave we can't protect them.”

“Then what do we do?” The colt asked.

“We rally those who are cool under pressure, like Pinkie and Mrs. Cake.” Replied the sword-dog, “We tell them the situation and recruit them to help.”

Midnight repeated this to Applebloom who said, “Ah know where Pinkie is. Ah saw her goin' to the nursery. Probably checkin' on Surprise after that 'splosion.”

“Let's go.” Midnight said.

The three of them ran off in the direction of the nursery. When they arrived the were greeted with the sight of a very depressed Pinkie and a mare they didn't recognize. Mephisto sniffed the air, detecting a smell he only knew from two others, Surprise and Lyra. He growled at her quietly.

“Midnight, she's a changeling.” He said.

Midnight nodded and focused.

The disguised mare noticed them, “Oh hello, children. Ms. Pie and I were just having a little chat. Do you think you could...”

She was cut off as a root broke through the ceiling and wrapped itself around the mare. Midnight glared at her and asked, “Why are you here, changeling?”

PreviousChapters Next