• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,194 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,194

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: Experimentation

January 1, New Years.

Twilight was doing some royal thing that she has to do every new years. AJ and Big Mac were on a date. Pinkie and Dash were hanging out. Fluttershy never said where she was going.

It was just me and Jynx. Perfect time to ask her out... if I wasn't such a bitch. I mean, come on, opportunities like this don't come around every day, but am I using it... no, of course not. I needed to break the ice... Light bulb!

“Are you board,” I asked.

“Hell yeah.” she said.

“You feel like showing me around town?” please, please, please.

She stood up, “Why not. It's not like there's anything better to do. We can go to the university.”

We went through the city with a guard in tow. Canterlot City was a lot like New York, with lottsa traffic, and big buildings, but rather clean.

We were heading toward the university. There were some tests she needed the equipment in the lab for. I figured it would get me in good with her.

I was talking about the mechanics of the solar system as we walked next to a construction site.

“Hold on.” I said, “I've been curious as to how you ponies build. I want to watch for a bit.”

It was rather similar to Earth (like so many things here). They used cranes and cement mixers. The tools were the same as well, even power tools.

The foreman ran over to the crane and yelled at the operator. He almost ran into a beam. Yep, just like Earth. Idiots exist here, too.

“Someone should fire that guy.” I said.

“Oh, I’m sure you could do better.” Jynx said.

“Hell no, that's why I’m not doing it.” I said.

She laughed, “Good point. Come on I want to get there before Test Tube locks up.”

When we got to the university we decided to get lunch at the cafeteria. There wasn't much I could eat, but there was spaghetti. I got that, Jynx got a sandwich, and the guard got funny looks.

“Hay Jynx, who's your friend?” said a light blue earth pony mare.

“Aquamarine, this is Shirotora, he's a chaos mage from another world. Shiro, this is Aquamarine, the head if the geology department.”

“Did you say 'chaos mage from another world'. That's kind of far fetched.” said Aqua.

I smiled and snapped my fingers, “You better believe it, sister.” said the sandwich she was carrying.

I think I broke her. She stood there staring at her food for twenty minutes, maybe longer. We left before she snapped out of it.

“You rock. Just so you know.” Jynx said, “I can't stand her.”

We walked through the halls to a lab. Jynx opened the door, and we went in.

“Where's that Test Tube guy?” I asked, “Why didn't he lock up.”

“He doesn't lock up. That's Beaker's job, and doesn't do that until night.” she said.

“Then why'd you say we needed to hurry?”

“I just didn't want to hang around there.” she explained, “I have the worst luck of anypony in Equestria. If I hang around a construction site something's bound to fall on me.”

That explains the name. Ponies believe that ones name should reflect themselves. It's not uncommon for ponies to change their names out of the blue. That's why cutie marks are often used for identification.

“Sir,” she said to the guard, “could you please wait outside. These are sensitive tests and you just standing there could be enough to ruin the results.”

He gave a curt nod and left.

“Good now that the stiff is gone we can get to work.”

We went to a door in the back with a picture of a triangle with an eye in the middle. Underneath it said “Jynx Charm”

“I thought your name was just Jynx.” I said as we walked in.

“I thought I told you that?” she said rummaging through some boxes, “Well, I may have bad luck but I’m lucky that everything always turns out OK. Think about it. I was unlucky enough to crash in the middle of the Everfree Forest, but lucky enough that you just happened to be there.”

“Makes sense to me.” I guessed.

She put on some weird box thing on her front left ankle. It connected to a backpack (not saddlebags) and that was connected to a helmet looking thing.

“Alright, this way.” we went back out the door and through another. This one was adorned with several symbols, you know, like “danger”, “keep out”, “yous gonna die”... OK maybe not that last one but you get the picture. I was kinda scared.

The room beyond was a large dome with metal walls, polished to mirror shine. The only other feature was a yellow circle with some more equipment in it.

“Sit here.” she said pointing to a cushion beside the machine. When I did she began hooking me up to the thing, “I've been wondering, you said you're bipedal, so why do you usually walk on four legs?”

“I figured everyone would be more comfortable if I wasn't towering over them. It actually feels just as natural as walking on two.” I said.

“Oh.” she replied, “OK what ever you do, DO NOT leave this circle. If you do you will most likely die a horrible excruciating death.” that totally alleviated my fear.

“What exactly does this thing do?” I asked.

“It monitors the flow of magic energy” she answered, “Every kind of magic works by drawing magic energy, or mana, from the surrounding environment. This machine tracks how much and what kind of mana you are absorbing.”

She walked to a door o the opposite side we came in.

Shiro, can you hear me?

“Yeah,” I said. The room started humming and vibrating. The walls began flickering like it was a heatwave.

Sit tight I’m going to get your base reading. Huh, it's already interesting. Not totally surprising but interesting.

OK, now,conjure something simple.

I summoned an Almond Joy. Fun fact, magically created food doesn't contain any nutritional value, nor will it fill you up. It only tastes good.

Wow that's awesome... OK now make an illusion.

I made an image of the princesses can-can through one wall and out the other.

Ah ha ha ha hah, oh wow that was weird. OK I got those readings. Try changing one of those wooded blocks to metal or something.

Simple enough.

Nice, try using your chaos flame.

Paw full of fire... check.

Any time now.

“What? I'm doing it”

Are you sure?

“Seriously? Fine,” I surrounded my whole body, “Can you read me now?”

No, that's strange... try shooting it toward the wall, but don't hit it.

“OK,” I loosed a wave of flame in all directions about a two feet out of the safe zone.

What the hell is that?

“What?” I asked.

The humming and vibrating stopped and Jynx came out. She looked at me like I was an alien... well one she hasn't meet already anyway.

“I know every type of mana in existence, so why is the machine reading one I don't know?” she said, “and another thing, you weren't drawing mana in when you did it. That's not even possible.”

She thought for a few seconds, “come on. I have an idea.”

We went back to the main room. She motioned for me to stand a few feet in front of a white screen.

She came back with what looked like a big camera.

“This will track the mana flow in your body by projecting it on to the screen.”

She concentrated as a faint glow came from her forehead. A metal cord lifted out of the backpack and snaked over to the projector clicking it on. The screen lit up with several colors.

“See that blue there.” Jynx pointed to swirling pools of color, “That's your mana. That's what draws in the other kinds of mana when you cast spells.”

“What's that red?” I asked pointing to a red orb just below my stomach.

“That's your spirit. Don't worry about it. It has nothing to do with magic.” she waved it off.

It was so awesome. I was looking at my spirit. How many people can say they've done that.

“OK, it's set up. Make an illusion or something.” she said.

I just made myself, but when I did I saw strings of mana enter my body and mix with what was already there before shooting out.

“Cool” was all I could say.

“Now, make fire.” She said.

What happened next surprised both of us. My mana flowed into my spirit before flowing out to my waiting paw.

“What the hell?” Jynx said, “Your mana merged with your spirit and changed... I’m going to be famous!”

“You? What about me?” I said.

“That goes without saying.” she said, “You're a chaos mage.”

I studied the image, “So if I’m reading this right, chaos flame is mana and spirit energy. That would explain why it always does what I want.”

“I've heard of some ancient magics that utilize the spirit, but their existence has never been confirmed.” the cord flicked off the machine.

“What is that thing?” I asked.

“It's a prototype.”she explained, “A unicorns horn acts as a conduit for their magic. Even without one I have magic, I just can't use it. With this I can use my magic to manipulate the gadgets in this.

“This proves that I can use magic with out a horn, but I’m not done. I’m hoping to develop an artificial horn. I’m not the only unicorn without a horn, after all.”

I said, “That would definitely be great if you succeed. I’m guessing the problem is projecting the magic.”

She nodded, “Yeah, right now it can only be sent through magerium, a metal that is especially in tune with magic. The problem is it's very expensive. That's why I leave it here.” She took it off and put back in the box in her office.

It was getting late so we decided to call it a day. We left the lab and joined back up with my babysitter.

As we headed back we discussed the mechanics of unicorn magic, and how the role the horn plays. She told me about the numerous failures. Some were scary but most were just funny.

“...it took about a week for his mane to grow back, and when it did it was orange.” we both laughed as she finished telling me of her last attempt. Even the guard chuckled.

“Holy crap, Jynx don't panic but I think that guy might actually be a real pony.” I said, “It chuckled.”

“No way,” she said, “you must be hearing things that guys not real he a golem or something.”

I turned to look at the guard as we walked, “Dude, you need lighten up. Just cause you're working doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself.”

“The royal guard have an image to uphold.” he said.

“Oh my god it talks!” I said, “So it's part of your job to act like that?”

“Correct, sir.”

“I'm going to have to talk to Sunshine about that.” I said.

“Only members Princess Celestia or Princess Luna can enact regulations on the guard.” said Cap'n Tight Ass

“Sunshine is my nickname for Celestia.” I said. He almost looked upset by that.

We were passing the construction site when a sudden realization hit me... I had to piss.

“Pit stop!” I said and rushed to one of the port-a-potties.

Ahhhhhh.

Even the port-a-potties in Equestria were nicer than Earth. It was still kinda nasty but better.

As I got ready to open the door I heard a grinding noise followed by an explosion. I jumped out to see what happened. There were a few ponies panicking but most of them were crowded together looking at something.

I made my way over to them to try and see what happened. As I approached, ponies saw me and parted, letting me through.

I could see what they were looking at.

Jynx was on the ground with a steel pipe lodged in her stomach.

PreviousChapters Next