• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,160 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 60: The Black Sun

December 12, 1005,

Twilight, Rarity and Applejack walked into the throne room. Celestia was sitting on her throne exactly as the guard said she would, but she sat there with an expression the three ponies never saw on her face before. She was looking down on them. Not as in 'I’m at a higher elevation', but the 'I’m better than you' kind. A smile replaced the disturbing image when the three approached.

“Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, so nice to see you again.” said the princess.

“Mom, I’m glad you're out and about today.” Twilight said, not wanting to approach.

“Yes, I had a lot of time to think on resent events.” She said with barely hidden malice.

“Mom, are OK? You're acting strange.” Twilight asked.

Celestia stood from her throne and walked down to her daughter, “I'm fine, in fact I've never felt so good. Now to what do I owe this pleasure.”

The purple alicorn was starting to have second thoughts about asking but decided it was for the best to ask, “Well, I was thinking, since you've been working so hard for well over a thousand years. I was thinking maybe you could do with some time off. You know relax a little, take a vacation.”

“Oh, and who prey tell, will monitor the sun, and see to my royal duties?” asked the now intimidating ruler.

“Um... well... you could teach the sun spell to me, and Luna and I could share you're duties.” said Twilight.

“So... it's true,” The three ponies looked in confusion and fear at the sun goddess, “You and my sister wish to usurp my throne.”

“WHAT!” The three said in unison.

“She said this would happen.” Celestia said, “She's been saying it for a couple years now.” Celestia look at them with a demented expression, “She said you would betray me!”

“B,b,b,b,but mom,” Twilight stuttered as her and her friends backed away as her deranged mother approached.

“I made a mistake taking you in.” Dark spots began growing on the once solid white mare, “A mistake I plan on correcting.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

When I woke, Luna was still watching over us, and Jynx was still asleep. At least I hoped she was.

“Luna,” I said, getting her attention, “Is Jynx...”

“She is alive and well.” She said, “In fact she seems to be better than before.”

Confused, I looked to my wife to see what she meant. It didn't take long to notice two things. The first was the scar on her side was gone, and the second thing was the light brown spiral horn sticking from her mane.

“You should wake her now. We have need to leave soon and we think this reunion may take time.” Luna said and took flight to give us some privacy.

I brushed Jynx's cheek with my paw and whispered, “Jynx, love.”

She stirred a bit but remained sound asleep. I leaned in and kissed her lightly on the lips. Hr eyes fluttered open and looked at me with confusion before it turned to joyful surprise.

“Shiro!” She flung her hooves around me, “It's really you. She said you would come, and you did.”

“Who said I would?” I asked.

“I don't know, but everyday she would say “He'll come for you. Endure for just a little longer.” and here you are.” She was crying in my fur, “I almost lost hope. How long was I there?”

“Three days.” I said.

“Th-three?” She sounded perplexed, “Are you sure it wasn't longer? It felt like weeks.”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” I held her for a while before saying, “Luna's going to take us to Canterlot. I think she wants to make Celestia apologize or something.”

“Well forgive me if I’m not too enthusiastic about seeing her.” She said with more hatred than I had ever heard her use.

“We can understand your feelings toward our sister.” Luna said, landing beside us, “Are you ready to go?”

“Can we just stay like this for a little while longer?” Jynx asked.

“A few more moments.” Replied the moon goddess.

Jynx snuggled up to me, poking me with her horn.

“That's going to take some getting use to.” I said.

“What?” Jynx looked up at me.

I leaned over and whispered in her ear, “Your horn.”

She reached a hoof up to her forehead, “My...” she gasped and her eyes went wide, “...horn. I, I have a horn. I HAVE A HORN! I have to try it out.”

she lit up her newly regrown horn and lifted three rocks. It was kind of clumsy, but going several years without a horn would do that. She probably wouldn't have been as good as she was if not for the artificial horn she developed.

“Forgive us, but we need to return to the palace. Tia still is not herself and we must tend to the nation.” Luna said, interrupting the joyous reunion.

“OK.” Jynx said.

“Very well.” Luna said, “By the way, Shiro. This appeared outside the cave.”

She levitated a bag to me. I opened it and found all my stuff Hella took. Good thing the Elder Gods are bound by their word when they make a deal. I quickly donned everything again.

“By the way.” Luna said, “We like what you did with the compass We gave you. Very clever.”

In a flash we found ourselves in the throne room. The first thing that caught my eye was the three craters that sat close to the door. I had to ask about them.

“Luna?” I said, “Why are there...”

I turned to ask my question but was cut off by the sight of the massive alicorn that sat on Celestia's throne. It was jet black and a good head taller than Celestia, with a mane and tail made of red-orange, plasma-like flames, draconic pink eyes, and black sun cutie mark.

“C, Celestia?” Luna struggled to say, “Is that you?”

The alicorn let out a very disturbing laugh, “Once perhaps, before you betrayed her.”

Luna's confused, concerned face contorted into one of pure contempt, “Nightmare!” Her voice was dripping with hatred toward the parasite, “Give us back our sister.”

“Nightmare?” I said. I looked to the alicorn and shuddered. If Nightmare Moon was even half as intimidating as this incarnation it made sense why everyone was so scared of her.

“I'm sorry, but your sister is busy wallowing in guilt and misery.” Said the Nightmare, “It's amazing how much weaker she was than you. It only took three years to take her, instead of the decades I spent twisting your little mind.”

“So you are the cause for Tia's odd behavior as of recently.” Luna said.

“Who did you kill?” I demanded pointing to the craters.

“Kill? Ah ha ha ha.” That was NOT the cliche villain laugh, but a genuinely creepy evil laugh, “I haven't killed anyone... yet. I just sent Twilight Sparkle and two of her friends on a little trip, well three if you count that foal the orange one had.”

“What!?” I growled. I sniffed the air trying to catch the scents. Sure enough Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, and Autumn's scents were still lingering, “Bring them back.”

“Why?” Nightmare asked with fake innocence, “Are you going to do something if I don't?”

I focused through my ring, letting about 30% of the black beast's power out, and charged at the twisted deity. I figured that with my elements I could take her. Fun fact, she's a fucking GODDESS. Something I had apparently forgot, but a quick trip through the wall reminded me. Lucky for me Luna pulled me from the very uncomfortable resting place and teleported the three of us back to Ponyville, my living room to be exact.

“What are we going to do?” Jynx asked, “We only have half the Elements of Harmony.”

“We do not know.” Luna answered, “The Nightmare is a difficult foe to fight. She possesses those you care for, and hides behind them. No pony in their right mind would strike down one they love. Thankfully she will be adjusting to the body for a few days, so we have some time.”

“Wait, princess.” Jynx said, “You said she possesses ponies, right? Like a spirit?”

“That is correct, why?” Luna said.

“I think I might have an idea.” She ran upstairs to our library.

She came down with a massive ancient tome in her magic. It was one I recognized as one she received from the university to translate about eight months ago. I still remember the cramps I had in my paw from all the notes I took for her. Normally I wouldn't have any worries about going along with Jynx's plans, but THIS book was different. It was called Krash-Tak, the Book of Blood. You can judge this book by it's cover.

“Jynx babe, are you sure THAT book is the one we want our salvation to come from?” I asked.

“I know how you feel about this book, and I feel the same,” She said “but it's all about manipulating dark spirits and energy, and the Nightmare is both.”

“Is there something that can help our sister?” Luna asked.

“Yes, there is a spell that can tear a spirit from a host,” Said my wife, “But it is incredibility harsh on the body of the possessed, ending in death. Before you protest princess, it kills the host because mortals aren't strong enough to withstand the power of the spell, but Celestia is far more powerful than any mortal.”

“That's an understatement.” I said as I rubbed my head at the memory of the pain of trying to contain the goddess's power when we fought Chronos.

“So this spell will emulate what the Elements did to us when we were possessed.” Luna said.

“Not exactly. The Elements are the most powerful magic artifacts in the world and can't be duplicated by mortals. The spells in this book are extremely powerful though but that's because every spell in the book, needs one specific ingredient to work.” Jynx clarified.

“Which is?” Asked the princess.

“It's not called the Book of Blood for nothing.” I said with obvious disdain in my voice.

Jynx began laying out the plan for casting the spell.

After about an hour of planning, we had our game plan. We needed four more powerful unicorns. I was going to find Trixie, while Luna was going to get Shining Armor, and Cadence.

“We still need one more.” I said, “Who else is powerful enough?”

We thought for a few minutes, sharing ideas. Unfortunately everyone we mentioned was either not powerful enough or unable to help. After listing almost every unicorn we knew we were silent for a bit.

Jynx had one last idea, “There is one other very powerful unicorn, but I don't think you'll like the idea of her helping.”

I looked over at Jynx, confused for a second before I realized who she meant.

“No.” I said, “Hell no. she is way too young and half of her spells end up exploding.”

“We have no choice.” Jynx added, “I'm just afraid what Rarity will do when she finds out we put her little sister in danger.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

We were gathered in one of the spell testing rooms at the university. They were designed to prevent any magic from entering or leaving which meant the spell would be undetectable. After the initial shock of seeing Jynx alive passed we explained the plan.

“I don't like this.” Shining Armor said, his wings fidgeting from nervousness.

“I don't either, none of us do.” I said, “But she's the only other unicorn we know of that's strong enough.” I turned to Sweetie Bell, “I'm sorry to put this on you but...”

She cut me off, “No! Yeah I’m scared, but the thing took my sister and my teacher. I’ll help in any way I can. But, um... Rarity's going to kill you, just so you know.”

She wasn't lying. Her face was set in a determined expression, but her knees were knocking together from her shaking. I had a lot more respect for that brave kid than ever. Facing a deranged goddess at ten years old is no small thing.

“We shall lead the Nightmare here.” Luna said.

“No,” Jynx responded, “You're need here to prepare the spell. I hate to say this but we might need a pegasus to help.”

“I already took care of that.” I said, “She should be here soon.”

Like clockwork Rainbow Dash's voice carried through the hall.

“Hello? I'm here. Where the hay are you.” She shouted.

I stepped outside to meet my little sis, “Dash, in here.”

“Shiro?” She said with disbelief, “Holy hay you're alive. What happened?”

I motioned for her to come in the room. She walked inside and froze at the sight before her.

“Hi Rainbow,” Jynx said with a smile, “I missed you.”

Dash looked to me as if asking if she was crazy. I gave her a warm smile, nodding. That was all she needed. She tackled her big sister and wrapped her in a tight hug as if she would go away again if Dash didn't hold onto her for dear life.

“Jynx,” The colorful pony said through the tears of joy staining her face, “I can't believe you're alive. Thank you Shiro. Thank you for bringing her back, And thank you for not leaving me too. I thought I lost both of you.”

“Rainbow,” Jynx said in a very serious tone, getting the young flier's attention, “We need your help. The Nightmare has taken over Celestia.”

We explained the plan once again, and Dash's eyes went wide with shock and a hint of fear. I didn't blame her. The last time The Nightmare threatened Equestria Twilight spent two months in the hospital, most of one of those in intensive care.

“Don not worry Rainbow Dash.” Luna said, “Our sister is not a very strong flier. We have seen ordinary pegasi that were more skilled than she. You will have no trouble evading her.”

“Here, take this,” I took off my amulet and put on her neck, “It won't be able to absorb all her magic if she goes all out, but I’ll absorb enough to help you avoid her attacks. You can do this.”

“OK, but you owe me big time.” Replied the tomcolt, “I swear, first you run off to hell, then you ask me to piss of a psycho goddess. You're going to drive me insane.”

“I'll see you when you get there.” I said, “Remind me to give you a tour.”

“Ha, funny. So all I have to do is lead The Nightmare here?” She asked, “That'll be easy. I'll be back in a flash.”

With that she took off out the door and and down the hall.

“You think she'll be OK?” Jynx asked.

“Yeah, she'll be fine. She's kind of arrogant but she's not stupid. She won't piss Nightmare off too much, just enough to get her to chase” I answered.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

A massive explosion took out the roof over the palace throne room. It was followed by a rainbow streak bursting from the new hole.

“Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh!” Dash said to herself as she fled a very angry possessed princess, desperately clinging to her bladder control, “Why did I have to say that? Stupid, stupid, stupid! I'm gonna die.”

I WILL TEAR YOUR LIVER OUT AND FEED IT TO YOU PARENTS!!!” Nightmare was a little passed upset, “YOUR FACE IS GOING TO BE MY TIOLET!!!

“I DON'T WANNA BE PEED ON!” Rainbow cried as she flew for her life.

She dodged and weaved as fireball after fireball was flung her way. Luckily they were small weaker attacks meant for a high rate of fire over power. As such the amulet absorbed the ones she couldn't dodge. She thanked Shiro for the magical artifact and made a note to give him a hug if she survives.

Like she was told, Nightmare couldn't match the pegasus's speed. Rainbow had to remind herself several times that she was suppose to be leading the murderous mare into a trap. Shiro told her not to take a direct rout so Nightmare would think she was just trying to hide in the college. That goal was assisted by the fact that she got lost trying to NOT DIE. Regardless of delays she found her destination, and went for it. She aimed for a skylight and put her wings in front of her to protect her. For the first time she was glad her wings were artificial, otherwise that would have done some extreme damage.

“You think to hide from me little pony!” The Nightmare called as she scanned for an entrance that could accommodate her size.

Dash didn't give her time to catch up. The moment she was through the window she spread her wings, slowing her descent and hit the ground running. She high tailed it through the hallways looking for the room the others were in. Jynx's office came into view telling the cyan pegasus exactly where she was, and none too soon.

COME OUT SO I CAN KILL YOU SLOWLY!!!” The pissed off, possessed pony princess hollered.

Dash turned around just in time to see the dark alicorn round the corner. The only thought in the weather mare's mind was HOLY SHIT! Nightmares eyes narrowed at her prey and she charged. With no room to fly Dash hauled ass on hoof. The first thing our heroine noticed was the much smaller gap in speed... she was gaining. The tyrant's longer legs made up for the lack of an athletes body, something Rainbow did NOT appreciate.

There it is! Dash thought to herself when the door to the testing room came into view. She picked up the pace, making a mad sprint to her goal. The Nightmare was right on her heels and gaining fast. With one last push and a pump of her wings she burst through the door.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I was getting worried. Dash was late. I was confident she was alive, thee was no way the Nightmare could catch her with Celestia's body. Hell Luna couldn't catch her, and the only spells that could get past the amulet were big clumsy things that would be like dodging a snail for her. My worry was that she got lost and the whole plan would be ruined. Or it was until we heard a yell from the Nightmare, “COME OUT SO I CAN KILL YOU SLOWLY!!!

So much for not over doing it, Dash, “Get ready.”

Luna, Shining Armor, Cadence, Trixie, and Sweetie Bell stood in a circle around he edge a symbol drawn on the ground with me near the center and Jynx just outside the formation. All my gear, magic and mundane, was in a case to keep their magic from interfering with the spell as well as to keep them safe.

The five mages horns lit up as the runes glowed beneath me. I felt the tingle of energy surround me. The door burst open and dash flew over my head. The Nightmare followed soon after. Too late she realized she fell right into a trap as she felt the magic from the symbol that her and I stood on. With one more push, the mages flooded the symbol glowed brightly and the spell took hold, paralyzing us both.

It was time for Jynx to step up. Her horn lit up and my body was laced with ethereal lines that connected us. This spell was unique. It required a 'living tool', and that tool was me. The tool surrenders all control of their body to the caster who then channels a spell through them. It's not exactly pleasant to not have control of your own body. Jynx lifted my arms and extended my claws. The next step is why I was the one to be the tool, as she plunged my claws into the chest of the possessed Celestia. The paralysis was so complete Nightmare couldn't even scream. They weren't deep enough to kill her but enough that her blood was flowing. Jynx closed her eyes to focus on the spell as layer upon layer of magic poured from her horn.

The room shook and shuddered trying to contain the vast amount of magic in the room. Jynx started pulling my claws back, struggling against an opposing force. Soon my claws were out of the alicorn's body, pulling a black smokey substance out with them. As my claws retracted more and more of the cloud followed. As more and more of the cloud was pulled out, more and more of Celestia's body reverted back to normal. It started by revealing her pink tail, then her white coat. After what seemed like an hour but was more likely five minutes, the last of the cloud was extracted.

Now came the hard part. The five released the paralyzing spell and the Nightmare fought like a desperate animal that was about to be mercilessly slaughtered. In it's defense that was exactly what was going to happen. Luna glared at the malicious entity that tormented her for over one thousand years.

“We have been dreaming of this day for centuries.” Said the goddess with a liberal dose of venom.

While Jynx held the spell that kept the Nightmare in my grasp, Luna took a deep breath. She let it out and saturated the room in a storm of indigo chaos fire. I was in awe of the extreme difference between her fire and mine as it washed harmlessly over us... most of us. Even the deafening roar of the fire couldn't drown out the sickening, pain filled shriek of the demon as her very essence was reduced to ash.

************************************************

Fact #9: Alicorn, as most know, possess unicorn, pegasus, and earth pony magic. A lesser known fact is that they are not equally proficient with each. All alicorn are most proficient with the magic they were born with (i.e. unicorns with unicorn magic, pegasi with pegasus magic and earth ponies with earth pony magic). The secondary proficiency is typically dictated by the alicorn's special talent unless their talent would be equally affected by both.

Two good examples are Equestria's newest alicorns Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor. Both are most proficient with unicorn magic as they were both born unicorns. However, Shining Armor's special talent is protecting others, which he discovered when he took it upon himself to protect his little sister. As such his earth pony magic is much stronger than his pegasus magic. Twilight's special talent on the other hand is unicorn magic and would be benefited equally by both pegasus and earth pony magic. Therefore the her personality decided her second specialty. Twilight's pegasus magic allows her to travel quickly to help her friends and being able to work with weather and clouds makes research easier.

Fact #9.5 Attacking an insane goddess is a very stupid idea.

Nightmare Sol

PreviousChapters Next