• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 12,188 Views, 2,091 Comments

Chaotic Harmony - shirotora



A new friend teaches the girls what true chaos is

  • ...
93
 2,091
 12,188

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 58: Entering the Darkness

December 12, 1005,

“What the hell are you talking about?” I asked Luna, “What does that mean?”

“It means as we said,” She clarified, “We shall help you retrieve Jynx from Tartarus.”

I stared at her as if she were insane, “Is this some kind of cruel joke?”

“No.” She stated bluntly, “We mean to rectify our sister's mistake. I will take you to the gates and from there you can find your wife. When you do I will bring you back.”

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was that even possible? There had to be some kind of catch.

“This can't be as easy as you say it is.” I said.

“No, it is not.” She said, “It will be incredibly dangerous, and the chances of you surviving are not in your favor. Normally We would not even suggest something like this, but if anyone can do it it would be you. And We're sure dieing isn't quite as intimidating to you right now.”

I thought for a moment before speaking, “OK, but I need to make some arrangements first in case I don't make it.”

I pulled out my phone and focused on all my friends. Soon several images popped up.

“Everyone, I'm calling an emergency meeting. Get your flanks to the library. Pinkie could you ask the Cakes to watch the kids for me please.”

“Okie dokie, Shiro.” She replied.

Without delay I grabbed the bag and ran as fast as I could to the massive oak.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Fluttershy was the last to arrive. Her eyes were still red and puffy from where she had been crying. They were all confused as to why I called this meeting and why Luna was here.

“That's everypony. What did you want to talk to us about?” Twilight asked.

“I need to ask all of you something very important.” I said, “If something were to happen to me would any of you be able to take care of Midnight and Razor?”

Everyone looked around confused.

“Why would something happen to you?” Phoenix asked.

I looked to Luna and back to the group, “I'm going to Tartarus to get Jynx back.”

You could hear the gears in everyone's heads grind to a halt. Everyone sat in silence for a moment before Twilight broke the silence.

“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN YOUR GOING TO TARTARUS?” More like she shattered the silence.

“I mean, I'm going to Tartarus.” I repeated.

“Why would you do that?!” She yelled a little less loudly, “Nopony's ever gone there and returned! You colts have already lost there mother, do you want them to lose there father too?!”

I sighed and hung my head, “No I don't,” It was now or never, “But they're going to no matter what I do.”

“What'cha Talkin' 'bout, Shiro?” AJ asked.

“I mean...” God it was hard, “I'm dieing. I have less than a year to live.”

With the exception of Luna and Pinkie, everyone in the room gasped.

“How are you dieing?” Dash asked.

“In the southern rainforest I contracted a virus called Naosenza.” I said.

“Oh no.” Fluttershy said quietly, “That's awful.”

“I take it you've heard of it.” I said. She answered with a nod since her mouth was blocked by her hooves, “Long story short, I'm going to die in less than a year, and unless if I get Jynx back Midnight and Razor will be orphans by this time next year.”

Once again, silence. I hated breaking the news to them on the day of Jynx's funeral but they had to know now. I couldn't delay it.

“Why didn't you tell us?” Dash asked, fighting tears, “Why didn't you tell me? I thought we were best friends.”

“I didn't want you to be upset.” I explained, “I knew you would be sad when I’m gone whether or not you knew before, so I decided that it would be better for all of us if we could enjoy what time I have without the shadow of impending doom looming over us. Now I don't have time for a bunch of crying and what ever. I need to know that my children will be taken care of.” I got a series of nods from everyone, “Thank you. If I don't come back, just know that I love all of you. Even though I lost a lot when I came here, I gained so much more. Thank you.”

With that, Luna teleported us to the middle of a deep gorge. In front of us was a very creepy looking cave.

“OK, Shiro, listen to what we tell you VERY closely.” Luna said with a stern gaze, “Open the bag and remove it's contents.”

I opened the bag she gave me and pulled out a box, a compass, a short sword, two gold coins, and an orb about the size of a large grape that swirled with every color imaginable. I curiously looked at the objects and back to the moon goddess.

She answered my question before I could ask, “The coins are for Charon. They will buy you safe passage into the underworld. When you meet the steward you will offer the box as a gift. You will then be given a task of some sort. What ever it is you will likely be stripped of everything magical you possess except one item; chose the compass. It will guide you to your goal. Because the sword is not magic you will likely be aloud to keep it. Finally, the orb. Do you know what it is?”

I looked at it closely, “It's a spell pearl.”

A spell pearl is a spell that is condensed before it's cast. It allows one to cast a spell without using their own energy or that they normally can't. They're popular among earth ponies and pegasi.

“That is correct.” said Luna, “When you have Jynx, make your way to the throne room and use it if you are betrayed. You should swallow it now.”

I did as I was told and swallowed the pearl. I felt the magic absorb into me.

After fighting it down I asked, “What about Cerberus? And what if I’m not offered a task.?”

“Cerberus keeps things in that aren't suppose to get out, and you WILL be offered a deal, trust us.” Luna answered.

“Then how will I get past Cerberus with Jynx?” I asked.

“Leave that to us.” She said with a smile, “Are you prepared?”

“Is there any other advice you can give me?” I asked.

She thought for a second, “Yes, Trust your feelings, for little else will be true. Trust no one, but yourself.”

I nodded and turned toward the cave, making my way toward it's intimidating darkness.

“Shiro,” Luna said, causing me to stop and face her, “Be safe.”

I smiled, “I'll see you soon, Lulu.”

Without a second thought, I turned and ran off, into the depths of hell itself.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Twilight and her friends sat in the library still. None of the had spoken a word since their friend had announced that not only was he dieing, but that he was going to the worst place in existence to do the impossible. The long silence was finally broken by Rainbow Dash.

“This is all Celestia's fault.” She spat.

“Rainbow!” Said Twilight, “Don't say that. She... she made a horrible mistake. It wa...” she was cut off by a cyan hoof striking her face.

“A mistake! A MISTAKE, TWILIGHT?!” The pegasus glared at her friend, the tears doing nothing to quench the fire in her eyes, “A mistake might get somepony hurt, but she kill Jynx! SHE MURDERED MY SISTER!!! And now my brother and best friend is going to throw his life away out of grief. He's going to die and THAT's her fault, too!”

“Now calm down you two.” AJ interrupted, “We all loved Jynx, Dash. What happened was an accident.”

“No, AJ it...” Rainbow was interrupted.

“Let me finish.” The farm pony said sternly, “It was an accident, but it happened because the princess was blinded by her own hatred.”

“It's not blind hatred if she's trying to protect Equestria.” Twilight said, “Shiro wasn't here when the changelings attacked, so he didn't know how they are. Changelings are evil plain and simple. I'm sorry Pinkie, but I doubt there's anything you can do to change its nature. I mean look at Chrysalis. She was as evil as they come.”

“I don't know, Twilight.” Fluttershy said, “While her invading was a very mean thing to do, her reasons were good.”

“How can you say that, Fluttershy?” Asked the young alicorn.

“Do you remember what she said at the wedding?” Fluttershy asked, “She said that it was up to her to feed her hive. She did what she did for her subjects. She could have sent one of her changelings to do take Cadence's place, but she put herself in harms way for them. If she were found out it would have been very bad for her. She cared about her subjects enough to put herself in harms way so they didn't have to. Anypony that is willing to do that can't be all evil, just misguided.”

“Wow,” Twilight said, “I never thought about it like that. I'm sorry everypony, I'm just worried about mom. She hasn't come out of her room in days.”

“Maybe she just needs a vacation.” Pinkie said.

“She can't. Who would take care of the sun?” Twilight asked, “Aunt Luna is already struggling with taking care of both of them.”

“You could, darling.” Rarity offered to the agreement of the others.

Twilight thought about that for a bit, “Maybe I can.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The usually bright bedchamber of the sun goddess was dark. The very air seemed to be in a state of depression. Celestia sat, unmoving, on her bed just as she had every day since that terrible day. The once beautiful alicorn was a shadow of her former self. Her beautiful white coat was gray from days of filth, but she couldn't even muster the will to bathe. She sat in her room alone... almost. The only company she had was the voice.

It's not your fault, your highness.

It was a sweet soothing voice.

You were doing what was best for your ponies. He protected one that would harm those you love. It was because of him that the mare was killed, not you. You've done nothing but love and help him and how does he repay you? By protecting the enemies of Equestria, trying to kill you, and even turning your own sister against you.

“What do you mean?” Asked Celestia.

Luna granted asylum to the demon spawn, and gave it to one of the Elements of Harmony to care for. She feeds one of your ponies to it while the cat's dark lies pollute them. Even your own daughter has betrayed you.

“No,” The princess gasped, “Twilight loves me. She would never betray me.”

I'm sorry to have to show you this, but I care about you too much.

A scene flashed in Celestia's mind. Twilight and her friends were sitting in her library talking amongst each other.

“Of course I care about my mother,” Twilight's words made Celestia smile, but that smile was taken by what was said after, “But she's ruled for too long.”

“Oh, I agree, darling.” Said Rarity.

“She's did a good job for a while, but she's just not cut out for the job anymore.” Said Applejack.

“But who could we get to replace her?” Asked Fluttershy.

“Well, that's easy.” Pinkie Pie interjected, “Luna and Twilight, duh.”

“Buck yeah.” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, “Let's kick her off the throne so ponies that deserve it can take over.”

The scene faded with the others nodding their approval.

“No, it can't be true.” Celestia was in tears from the apparent betrayal, “They're my most loyal subjects.”

I'm so sorry you had to see that, but it had to be done

“What should I do?” Celestia begged for answers, “I'm so lost right now.”

There, there, my dear. You've been so kind to them. Perhaps that is the problem.

“What?” Celestia was shocked by the voice's conclusion, “What do you mean?”

You were kind to Luna and she betrayed you twice now. You were kind to Shirotora and he betrayed you. You were kind to those ponies and they betrayed you. Perhaps it's time you show them how lucky they are that you're so kind.

“And how do you propose I do that?” Asked the alicorn.

Simple. They say you never know what you have until it's gone. I say it's time to take away what they take for granted.

“You mean, be cruel... a tyrant.” She said in disbelief, “I... I couldn't. Even if it would teach them, I couldn't be cruel to them.”

Then allow me to in your stead.

PreviousChapters Next