• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 2,964 Views, 42 Comments

It's a brutal world mate... - shattered_sky



It turns out my biggest problems is affording coffee and paying rent. And potions. And spending time injured. And trying to coexist with the rowdiest, most destructive guild. Also Why do I sound so edgy? I mean now that I READ what I said it's.......

  • ...
13
 42
 2,964

Prelude: Abyss

Most of the ponies in the guild were experiencing some measure of agony. Only the strongest were present. Well those with massive tolerance for cream and sugar I suppose.

Isaac and Pound were literally vibrating with energy, running around the guild. Thunderlane and Knives were bloated, moaning in discomfort of the consumed goodies. Dusk gave Flitter a disgusted look as the Pegasus happily bit into her 30th cupcake. Dusk had taken only one and promptly denied any other treats prepared by Pinkie, they were way too sweet for his taste.

The rest shared extreme discomfort and for those not present diarrhea.

“How? How!?” Dusk asked in exparation. “How don’t you look like a beanbag right now?”

“A beanbag?” She asked.

“Yeah! You should be looking like a fat sausage with tiny legs right now.”

Flitter giggled. “Oh Dusk is so funny.”

Knives wheezed and it took Dusk a while to figure out she was laughing too. “You have no idea.” She groaned and fell off her seat. “I like Pinks, but we kinda need Diane back. Or else we’d all die of diabetes.”

Dusk rolled his eyes and made his way to the request board. To his dismay it was covered in cream and he couldn’t make out any details. So instead he walked over to the bar to inquire about any quests. The bartender had discarded his clothes and was cleaning the bar.

“So what kind of jobs are available?”

“The usual.” He stopped cleaning for a moment and regarded Dusk. “But you aren’t looking for something usual I suppose.”

“Got anything good?”

Dusk stared at the hooded mare dragging herself to the bar. After she managed to pull herself up she asked for some water. “You know the rules Andromeda.” He simply said as he reached for a hose in the back. The blast of water knocked her all the way to the middle of the guild hall.

Flitter stood up and poked the soggy twitching mare for a bit before sitting beside Dusk. “Hey Fred! We’re looking for something exciting you know.” She clarified.

The bartender adjusted his spectacles and reached for a shelf in the bottom, lined with scrolls. He handed it to Dusk and the stallion immediate unfurled it. “Actually she had already picked out.”

Flitter’s eyes bulged as she looked at the scrolls contents, her eyes darted straight to the reward. “Two thousand bits!” She cheered.

Dusk eyed it suspiciously however. “Just for bandits? The reward is around five times my last quest.”

The two read through the request. Apparently some noble had been robbed by a group of bandits just outside of dodge junction. This explained the large reward. Oddly enough Andromeda Stargazer and a team of her choice were requested.

“Why do we call her Knives anyways?” Dusk asked.

Flitter frowned thoughtfully. “Our guild mates called her that way before I was here. So I dunno.” Flitter shrugged. The aforementioned mare promptly emptied her stomach’s contents. “EWWWWWWWWWW! Ugh gross!” Flitter complained.

The bartender scowled and shook his head. Dusk stared at the mare in amusement, until he took a whiff of the vomit. “That is nasty! God’s sake.” He grimaced and covered his nose.

“Aw c’mon it ain’t that bad! Let’s go filly and gentlecolts.” She enthusiastically offered, apparently rejuvenated by the water and loss of the weight. Dusk and Flitter frantically shooed her away. Fred came to their rescue as he pulled out the hose and blasted her again.

The bartender sighed as he grabbed a bucket and a mop. “You ponies should get going.” He simply said as he went to work.

******

Dusk, Knives and Flitter sat in a wooded cart pulled by Thunderlane. Dusk had to hand it to the Pegasus, he’d been pulling the cart for the past three hours. Dusk felt that they all had some sugar to burn off.

Flitter was wearing some heavy grey armor, the gaps and cracks in it glowing hot orange. Knives was chugging a bottle of whiskey and lay around lazily. “You sure that’s necessary? Just some bandits Flits.” She dismissed.

Flitter sighed and grabbed her helmet. “You were hoof picked for this. One of our best combatants. I dunno Knives.”

“Way easier than the Everfree mission.” Dusk countered. “I was a fucking pincushion. We almost died remember?” He chuckled. “Just some bandits Flitter.” Dusk would not admit the wrenching feeling in his gut, which all shared except for Knives. Soon she would be drunk again anyways.

“I thought you didn’t like jinxing things.”

“At this point, I’ve realized real shit happens. Like a fatass ghost, waterbenders and dinosaurs. I wouldn’t be surprised if we fight a professional undead wrestler at this point.” Dusk replied nonchalantly.

Flitter blinked at that. “What would he be called?”

“El Diablo?” Knives suggested.

“Lucha Lich Senior?” Thunderlane added hesitantly.

“Mmmm. Leche Flan.” Flitter drooled at the thought of the desert.

“Really Thunderlane? I thought Shadowbolts had language classes.” Knives disappointingly pointed out. Thunderlane released a bunch of swears in Germane.

“The Undertaker.” Dusk let it hang for a while. “Dead man walking…”

“That’s dumb.”

“You’re dumb, drunkie.”

“Well excuse me Dank McEdge.”

“Pork marinade in whiskey.”

“You’re the strong magic user. And for some Celestia damned reason you stab ponies.”

“At least I was doing something.”

“Hey, at least I wasn’t chilling in the morgue twice.”

“You look like you came from there. Also where the fuck where you?”

“Bucking your mom.”

“My mother is gone dipshit.” Dusk growled out.

“Your father then?”

“Would leave you with a bun in the oven.”

Flitter gasped and covered her mouth. Knives eyebrow’s raised in surprise. Dusk’s eyes gleamed dangerously. Knives grabbed her jaw as if it ached, she opened and closed it and decided to just look away. “Oh my gosh Dusk-“

“Don’t. Pity me.” Dusk grinded his teeth. Flitter winced and put on her helmet. Thunderlane glanced at them uneasily. It was an awkward fifteen minutes filled with silence. And of course that silence was broken by a huge explosion that wrecked the cart.

A few meters away from them the air shimmered revealing the bandits. One of them was an earth pony with a saddle holding an RPG, another earth pony loaded a rocket. He took aim at the large cloud of smoke and dust. “Did we get them?” He asked, squinting.

“Mebbe, them Manticores are a tough outfit.”

“Finally my horn was starting to ache. That old chicken could have been more specific on the time. The third one piped up.

“Are you okay Dusk?” A muffled voice spoke from the cloud.

An enraged scream could be heard. Burst of magic swept away the cloud and revealed Flitter and Dusk. Dusk was bleeding all over and Flitter’s armor was steaming. Dusk was breathing heavily and he summoned a dozen arcane blades. “I will be.” He growled.

One of the earth ponies stepped back. “Buck. We’re bucked.”

The one with the RPG let out a scream and fired another. Dusk launched his blades back. Both were engulfed in explosions. The dust first cleared on the bandits side, the unicorn collapsed and ears were bleeding, a flickering blue shield shattered.

“Load another load another!” The earth pony with the RPG panicked.

“Oh horseapples. It can’t be… that Alicorn hombre was real!? I thought we were just drunk!” He fumbled with the rocket before loading it.

Dusk rushed forward and levitated several knives at them, murderous rage in his eyes. “Do I know you?” As he looked at the trembling stallions he felt they were familiar. He frowned before breaking into a wide grin. “Oh yeah. Every. Bone. In your bodies. That hurt you pricks, what I’ll do will hurt a LOT more.”

They both held each other and screamed, then they passed out. Dusk sighed. “Huh. Now there’s no satisfaction.” Flitter walked out of the cloud, a large scorch mark, on her chest plate. “Thanks. I’d be popcorn otherwise.”

The mare stared at him for a while, Dusk could visualize her drooling behind that helmet. She shook her head and looked around. “Good to see you’re fine. Where’s Thunderlane and Knives?”

******

Inside a local bar ponies and a few non-ponies were doing their business. Cards were dealt, small fortunes were traded, lost and won. Others partook in drinks and mares. All was normal for a bar like this.

Until a smoking mare in a green hood crashed through the roof. She sighed as the red aura around her faded. All eyes were on her and she glanced around the area. She shrugged and pulled out a large bag of bits from somewhere. “DRINKS ARE ON ME!” She yelled as she tossed the bag on the counter.

Everyone cheered as drinks were passed around.

******

“I hope she blew up.” Dusk muttered, still upset at the earlier exchange.

“That was uncalled for!”

Dusk pulled out a pair of binoculars and looked around, eventually he saw the black Pegasus flying back to them. Soon after he landed in front of them, he didn’t seemed injured by the blast. “Why am I the only one injured? Knives probably died so she doesn’t count.”

Thunderlane let out a whimper and slowly turned around, a piece of wood was embedded in his left flank. Dusk snorted and Flitter gasped. “Oh no! Are you okay?” Flitter asked as she rushed over.

Dusk began to laugh, his troubles forgotten. “Hey Thunderlane, ask for kissies.” He teased.

“I bucking hate you Dusk.”

Flitter removed her helmet. “Do you need some?” Flitter asked, and before he could object she gave him a peck on his forehead. Thunderlane sputtered and blushed and Flitter put a hoof on his forehead. “Goodness your warm! We should have that removed. Also do you feel anything else?”

Dusk smirked and suddenly pulled out the chunk of wood. Thunderlane cried out in pain. “That.” Thunderlane had fallen over and Flitter was helping him up. They both glared at him but he merely shrugged in return. “Plus one minus one.”

“You’re horrible dude.” Thunderlane went to work on wrapping it up.

Flitter however was looking at Dusk thoughtfully. Dusk was irritated for some reason as he stared back. “What?” He demanded, hostile again.

“Nothing.” She then looked towards Dodge Junction. “We should tie them up and let the local lawponies deal with them.” She bit her lip. “I thought there should have been more bandits.”

As if on cue a black flash blinded the three of them. Before them stood a grey pony with a pitch black messy mane. A sickly green magic flowed out of his eyes and a jagged black crystalline horn glowed red. A few barrels were floating beside him. When his eyes laid on Dusk he glared hatefully. ”You!” He hissed, his voice echoing like Dusk’s.

Black lightning crackled all over and black crystal spikes tore out of the ground. Thunderlane flew up while Dusk grabbed Flitter and teleported away. They reappeared a distance behind him and dusk proceeded to fire at the weird unicorn with his riffle. He raised a shield in response.

Flitter pointed to herself and tilted her head. “Me?”

“No… The Alicorn.” He growled, pointing at Dusk.

Dusk looked around and shrugged. “Hot out here isn’t it. You must be hallucinating.” Dusk gave a smirk. Thunderlane swooped down for a maneuver but he was smacked out of the sky by a pillar of black crystal. “Do I actually know you?”

Flitter donned the helmet and the armor smoked. Flames streamed out of the helmet and exploded against the crystal structures. The unicorn was gone and they looked around wildly. A shadow came out of the ground and blasted Flitter away with black lightning. A black arcane blade materialized and Dusk blocked it with two of his own.

“Hah!” He was then launched by a pillar erupting out of the ground. He came back down and wrapped his hooves around his barrel. Oh bloody hell! I just got better!” He pointed a hoof at the advancing unicorn. “What did I ever do to you!?”

“YOU SHOT MY BUCKING HORN OFF!” The area darkened for a moment and the ground cracked.

Dusk blinked. “Hey! The third little piggy!” Dusk exclaimed. “And look at you now! I think I did you a favor.” Dusk smugly remarked.

Thunderlane stared at Dusk in horror. “You didn’t.”

“Well he and his buddies were perving on Derpy when I came to Ponyville. Plus they’re bullying villagers.” Dusk gritted his teeth as he summoned his blades. “I hate those kinds of people. Scumbags like you piggy.”

Thunderlane shook his head and smiled. “Can’t argue with that I guess. We can’t let this one cry all the way home then.” With that he took to the air.

Dusk launched his blades only for them to turn black and shoot back at him. He teleported out of the way and forced the unicorn down with a gravity spell. The area turned darker and the unicorn and Dusk began to float. Thunderlane spun through the air as he slowly floated towards the unicorn.

Dusk grabbed Thunderlane using his magic and pulled him away from the spikes that erupted from the ground. The grey unicorn’s skin cracked, green mist slipping out. Dusk tossed Thunderlane away and blasted the unicorn with a massive blast of magic, it was countered by a blast of his own. More cracks. Whatever spell the unicorn casted earlier faded and Thunderlane rolled across the ground and slammed into a pillar as gravity reasserted itself.

Dusk yelled as he poured more of his magic into the blast. The unicorn did the same. Flitter got her hooves and her armor glowed, fireball was launched at the unicorn’s face, revealing nothing under the hollow, shell like coat. The blast distracted him giving Dusk the opportunity to finish him off.

“What… the fuck is this?” Dusk nervously took a few steps back. The unicorn let out gurgling sounds as pieces of its coat fell away, like pieces from a porcelain figurine. Flitter was shaking, her armor rattling.

“HE SAID… IT WILL BE ENOUGH! To kill an angel… only demons can.” He rasped as he walked forward. “A unicorn without a horn… You should have killed me! You did this to me!” He accused. “I’m bringing you down with me!”

Dusk gave a shaky smile. “Jesus man… And I thought I was edgy.” Dusk’s horn lit up and his face morphed in rage. “Your choices man, all on you!” His horn glowed brighter. “I’m putting you out of your misery!” The giant blast shot forward.

The unicorn reared and morphed into black smoke. “DARKNESS SWALLOW YOU!” Dusk fell back as he was surrounded by the dark cloud. Dusk lit his horn and fired wildly, but the shots seemed to be swallowed up.

He lit his horn. It was no longer smoke but inky darkness, despite the light he could barely make out his hooves. He felt deathly cold, as if he was impaled by those icicles. The dread he felt was more than the last time, when he was bleeding out in the forest. He tried to force it down with his anger, but he couldn’t ignore the clawing sensation in his mind.

Something scratched him in the side. He growled and shot in the direction it came from. More scratches, more ineffective shots. It felt like an eternity. Dusk panted, sweat dripping down his face. He tried teleporting out. It felt like a hammer being bashed against his skull, and he vomited right there.

He could taste the lead and bile in his mouth, he slowly got up, shaking like a leaf. The next hit he no longer growled, he whimpered and fell on his side. He curled up and cried. “F-flitter? Thunder?” He sniffed. “Someone help me…”

Help? You want help? You are far most, pathetic of your kind. Dusk could hear the voice echoed in his mind. It felt slimy, invasive. Dusk screamed as he felt something pressed into his chest. I can fix that. Take away your fear. You’re ALWAYS afraid.

Let me in.

Dusk simply cried, holding himself tighter. Pathetic. You see how weak you-. The smug voice was cut off by an agonized inequine scream. Thousands of voices in agony as the darkness was sucked away. Dusk stared at the pony in front of him.

Knives stood there with the crystal held in her mouth. She threw it up in the air and it once more eneded up in her mouth. The screams dimmed with each crunch. “This one’s a bit fresh. ”The sclera of her eyes were red for a few moments. She looked at the unconscious pegasi then at Dusk. “Wow you guys look like shit.”Her eyes did not match her grin.

Dusk could see shadows of creatures of different kinds, twisted and vile danced around. A shape that looked like a pony was ripped and apart by these creatures. The world seemed much greyer to him. This was too much for Dusk to process, and he joined the others in unconsciousness.

“Huh, lightweights.” Knives heard a whoosh and Flitter was on fire. “Should I be worried?” She asked with uncertainty in her voice. The remains of the unicorn was swept away by the wind, leaving dark blobs that hissed in the sunlight. She could smell the nice smell of freshly baked bread. Dusk could smell heated plastic, Thunder ozone and Flitter could smell charcoal.

“And I thought They would sleep forever.”

******

A dropper fill with green liquid was held in lavender magic aura. A single drop dripped into a dish, which held a slab of meat. As the drop came into contact with the meat it hissed, eating away at the meat until a small chunk was left “Amazing isn’t it?” Twilight asked in glee. Her voice was muffled by the hazmat suit she was wearing. “I hope this is important Andy.” She irritably growled.

“It’s Them. They’re back.”

Twilight turned around, the serious expression on Knives… Andromeda’s face chilled her to the bone. “They never left. Now let’s discuss this over some coffee.” Twilight flashed away her protective suit and led Knives into the kitchen.

Twilight poured two cups of the heavenly liquid and set them down on the mahogany table. “Don’t you dare spill it, Rarity would turn us inside out.” She warned.

“That sounds like something you would do.” Knives gave a mirthless chuckle. “Also how did you convince Diane to come back?”

Twilight sipped her coffee and sighed deeply. “She can’t handle this world for long. She always hides away in her fantasies. Not that I blame her.” Her eyes were sad for a moment. “I was a fool many times as well.” The escapade with the mirror was silently acknowledged by the two. Not an experience either cared to remember.

“You seem to be calm.”

“And you’re on edge. How rare.” Twilight smugly remarked. “Why did you approach me though?”

“You know, silver, iron dust, garlic and the like. You know they’ll be coming for you too, right?” Knives poured some bourbon into her coffee, ignoring the look of disgust on Twilight’s face. “You don’t seem worried.”

“Why should I?”

Knives went into detail on their encounter, as she assimilated the knowledge of the Ubrum. He did leave out knowledge she gained on the Testament’s goals and Dusk’s true nature.

“I almost feel sorry for the two.” She smiled at that however. “And that crystal you mentioned, it is likely a recent development of Eternity. ‘Young’ as the One you mentioned, it part of a test run, something larger.” She frowned as she poured herself another cup. “However They might have some resiliency against our measures. It’s only logical.”

“Then make new ones. Or something more potent.” Knives demanded. “That Thing should have been easier to deal with. Now my stomach hurts so bucking much.” Despite this she gulped down the coffee.

“Does Master know this?” Twilight innocently asked. She floated out a pan from the stove and poured a thick yellow liquid into a bowl. Out floated crackers of all sorts from a few cabinets amnd piled neatly on two plates. “Help yourself.”

Knives gave no comment on the display nor the gusto which Twilight displayed while eating. She simply nodded. “Yeah. And he told me to talk to you or Ditzy, to form a plan.” Knives stared at the empty cup. “I don’t trust Ditzy.”

“Wasn’t she the old student of the King?”

Knives shrugged. “Just a feeling.”

“Look, Octavia is the local Shaman. But I know one up in Manehattan, a monkey shaman named Armando. He’s grouped up with a griffon monk and a few others.” She informed her between munches. “There are alternatives but they’re the most reasonable.”

“Griffon monk? I’m not heading to the monastery am I? You know how it is.” Knives shivered.

“No.” She slid over a piece of paper with an address. “Tell the clerk to ‘give you the day of the week’ and if he asks why it’s a ‘code purple’.” Knives snorted at that. “Only discuss your finding with Armando and his friends.”

“That goes without saying ya know. Also…” Knives snorted. “Code purple?”

Twilight glared at Knives. “I’ll have you know that’s an ACTUAL threat level. And yes, I can cause a lot of damage.” Twilight smirked. “You don’t want to know what I did to earn my own category. But let’s say no one’s willing to collect the reward on my head.”

Or on any of the other five.

“I could take you all out. You just got the drop on me last time.” Knives petulantly complained. “Look, knowing you, you have some sort of superweapon for the occasion. If you say otherwise that’s bullcrap.”

Twilight frowned thoughtfully. “There might be. I’ve done some research on the other world and things are more similar than even the good king knows.” Twilight conjured a box and floated it over to Knives. Knives opened it slightly, then closed it.

“What in Tartarus? It’s just a dumb rock.”

“Hey now. That means you’re not the right fit. But others are.” Twilight scowled. “In another life that could be mine.” Twilight got up. “Have fun with your little hunting game anyways. I expect you to bring me something useful." Knives ground her teeth. "We both know this is part of something bigger. But you go ahead and chase them dog." Twilight sneered.

"One of these days somepony is going to murder you..." Knives muttered under her breath.

Author's Note:

This chapter has been sitting for a while. With this one I'm not actually sure it came out right. My attempt at something I guess. Also the internet here sucks ass and so does this laptop. Maybe I should get a new one...

(Or use a new word processor. I have no idea why anyone here even uses MS word)

Comments ( 4 )

is dusk an element in this world?

10253432
You'll have to read more to find out. But the Elements of Harmony DO exist in this World, nobody really isn't aware yet. More things on this side of the mirror are more alike than one thinks. Dusk doesn't seem like bearer material, but what do you think? Also I hope you're enjoying this little read so far.

10253504
i am enjoying the story so far and im just speculating becasue he did show up rather suddenly and with the world the way it is the bearers for this world would proberbly be all different from the originals and seeing how the other charicters act the best i can guess is dusk, derpy and trixie are likly candidates for the elements along with pinkie and thunderlane being a maby. as you said the two side of the mirror are similer so a new pony moving to town to learn about frendship and the sorts seems to be what main twilight and dusk have in common. im not saying that im sure im saying he mirrors twilight of the main world in a way that would fit the distortid world he has found himself in. also the elements have proven they work in weird ways so its not out of the question the elements might detect or something that there isnt a pony to weild the last element so it could have dragged him ther for that. There is the possiblity in this world the elements might have had diffrent creators and since he has chaos magic to a degree it isnt out of the question for discord to have addid his to the elements of this world.
all in all he was brought there for something big or small and he will find it

Login or register to comment