• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 2,964 Views, 42 Comments

It's a brutal world mate... - shattered_sky



It turns out my biggest problems is affording coffee and paying rent. And potions. And spending time injured. And trying to coexist with the rowdiest, most destructive guild. Also Why do I sound so edgy? I mean now that I READ what I said it's.......

  • ...
13
 42
 2,964

Broken World: First Quest

I didn’t sleep at all last night. My mind kept wandering to yesterday’s events. Should I be concerned that I just shot someone right off the bat? Or that I don’t feel guilty in the slightest. Eh he deserved it anyways, I guess? Well despite the lack of shut eye I felt fine, energetic even. I gave myself a few experimental sniff. Green light, I don’t need to shower for now. How often do ponies need to shower anyways?

The smell of food seemed more compelling than pondering on everything going on. And by compelling I mean something smells like I need to get up because something is burning. Damnit. I rushed over to the kitchen fearing something got caught fire.

“Oh good morning Dusk!” Trixie cheerily greeted. The unicorn was levitating a smoking pan which contents she added to the spread on the table. I sighed in relief as I trotted over to the table. On the menu was a dozen muffins, a few green sausages(?) and a bowl filled with a black bubbling substance. Aren’t ponies vegetarians? “I think I overcooked the leftover applesauce too much.” She winced as she took seat.

“Yeah. Morning.” I smiled as I sat on one of the stools. She started to giggle. I’m not sure which Trixie I like better.

“Do you always sit like that?” She asked as she levitated a few sausages and muffins unto my plate. I shook my head and levitated a fork. “I know somepony who usually sits like that. Isn’t it uncomfortable?”

“Not really. It is kind of weird I guess.” She tilted her head in confusion. I decided to abandon the fork and levitate a muffin to my mouth. *Crunch!* The muffin I ate was almost flavorless and crunchy for some reason.

“So how is it?” She asked.

“Pretty filling and could use a little more flavor. It’ll get anybody throughout the day.” I answered. She smiled at that.

“Well that’s what the applesauce is for.” Trixie offered.

I politely declined and we ate in silence for the rest of the meal. Derpy wasn't here when I woke up, though the bubbling bowl of black liquid served as food may have something to do with that. The sausages were okay. Trixie seemed to be a bit nervous. She occasionally glanced at me with a worried expression while we were eating.

“Thanks for letting me stay for a bit. The food was nice too.” I thanked her as I got up.
“I should be looking for a job and a place to stay.” I have a feeling any longer and I would overstay my welcome. I should try to find somewhere else to stay.

“NO!” She shouted forcefully. She covered her mouth. My eyebrows raised in surprise. “I-I mean you’re welcome here! Yes and you saved my best friend’s life. And umm let me at least repay your kindness. ” She blurted out as she pawed the air.

Yeah… Totally not weird. “Well that’s great to hear. I know that we came to an agreement but… I can find somewhere else to stay.” She’s uneasy because of what I am I guess. I really wanted to see more of the world at first. But after yesterday’s events I don’t really know what to do.

“No it’s fine. You are welcome here.” She assured me. “Well I’ll talk to Derpy, you don’t have to pay this month’s rent. Umm if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“I guess I’ll stay for a while. Until I get my own place.” I offered a bit hesitantly.

“Oh thank goodness.” She sighed in relief. “I-I mean I don’t mind! Not at all. Sure as long as you like.” She corrected herself again. She coughed, changing the subject. “Derpy’s at the local guild by the way, you seem capable enough in fights. She could get you membership perhaps?”

“Guess I’ll swing by and check thing out.”

“Oh and please get this to Derpy, she went out without eating. Could you please deliver this to her?” She asked, floating a bundle over to me.

“Sure.” No. Not about anything.

---POV: 3rd person---

Dusk shine soon left for the local guild Manticore Sting. Donning a black vest and a faded pair of saddlebags to conceal his wings. Trixie gave him directions but Dusk explained he already saw it while entering town. The town looked every inch of depressing as yesterday. Minus the bickering ponies yesterday this town looked almost deserted. He noticed the eyes peeking out of the houses as he passed by.

Nearing the guild he saw a grey earth pony with a purple treblecleff cutiemark near the guild. She was hammering nails into the walls of the guild with her hooves. “Hey there.” Dusk greeted. The mare snorted as she just continued her work. The mare with purple eyes and black messy mane dipped her muzzle into a bucket filled with nails. Her head jerked back and knocked the bucket over. She sat on her haunches and rubbed an eye.

“Owww... Buck me to Tartarus what do you want?” She complained. Dusk turned the bucket upright and refilled it. He levitated some nails in front of her. The mare raised any eyebrow and stared for a while. Eventually she grabbed the nails with mouth and started working again. Side by side they nailed planks into the various holes in the wall

“Huh. Thanks for the help I guess. I’m Octavia.” Octavia Introduced herself.

“Dusk shine.”

Octavia sighed and rolled her eyes. “Great, another freaky pony. The nice sort I suppose but still weeeeiiird.” Dusk simply chuckled. “Sound spells dude huh. Not really common but most are able to.”

“Naw Zebras curse. I blabbed too much and a Zebra Shaman did this.”

To Dusk’s surprise Octavia stomped. “Don’t joke like that. You speak of spirits and curses lightly. I knew a guy who was cursed by a zebra. He broke a deal and spirits were witness. He was then enveloped with freaking vines Shine-“ She looked harrowed.
“Dusk, just call me Dusk. Also I just sound like this.”

Octavia simply continued. “So don’t joke about things like that, alright? You do seem like you could spin a tale but just don’t talk about Zebra Shamans ‘Kay?” Dusk was unnerved by her reaction. But then again magic was real, so probably curses are too. “Anyways I have more stuff to do. Maybe Vinny could tell what kind of magic is causing that. Bec” Octavia suggested as she tended to other repairs.

Dusk swallowed as he entered the guild wondering what kind of weird ponies he’d meet. The guild hall looked like your average tavern in an rpg. There was a bar at the far end and a request board on the left side of the room. The place looked like a hurricane went through, smashing most and tables stools were scattered about. The room reeked of alcohol and neglect. A few dozen ponies were sprawled about either drunk or unconscious. Only a few ponies were actually up and about.

The bartender was a crimson cat with spectacles. He grabbed a broom and stated to sweep the mess and the passed out ponies alike. Derpy and another Pegasus poked their heads out from behind the counter. The other Pegasus was black and he had a silver blue buzz cut style mane.

“Most of the bucking monsters were out today. Good thing too, the roof really looked like it was going to collapse.” The black Pegasus gulped loudly at the thought of being crushed.

“Where have you even been lately Thunderlane? It DID come down once, it was…”

“Bucking amazing my little ponies!” One of the drunk mares proclaimed. She wore a green hoodie, that’s the only thing that stood out for Dusk anyways. “It involved a chain, a drunk rainbow pegasus and AJ’s fat flank! Hey kitty watch the sweepy.” The hooded pony complained as the bartender… swept her into a pile of groaning ponies.

Thunderlane stared at Derpy for a few moments and mouthed ‘really?’. She sighed and nodded.
“These idiots always do this. Maker damnit who even started this fight?” Derpy complained as she cleaned her glasses. “Although Domino effect is impressive. One split drink or a collision causes all of this.”

“I already love this place.” Dusk sighed happily. He trotted up to the counter and laid the package before Derpy. “Special delivery, edible improvised weaponry.” Dusk grinned as he sat at the bar. Derpy grimaced and swept the package with a wing.

Thunderlane stared at Dusk for a good while. “What the buck did this stallion swallow?” He finally commented.

“This guy must be pretty fast.” Dusk retorted, chuckling that they didn’t get the joke.

“Thunderlane meet Dusk Shine, Dusk Shine meet Thunderlane.” Quickly introduced the two stallions.

“Nice meeting you Thunder.” Dusk extended his hoof and they shook. “Just stick to food and don’t swallow weird objects.” Dusk advised. He turned to Derpy. “So Derps where do I sign up? I think I’m sold on the whole Adventurer thing.” Dusk excitedly spoke, rubbing his hooves together.

Thunderlane simply frowned and looked at Derpy. “I vouch for him. Dusk skills as a combat mage are… adequate. He protected me against some bandits.” Derpy supplied. “Also, I already filled out the necessary forms and approval for his membership. All that needs to be done is the branding.” Derpy fished out a plastic folder from her saddle bags and passed them to Dusk.

“Looks like I’m not the only one who’s excited.” Dusk teased. Privately he wondered why she did it so quickly and if he could get her to do his taxes.

Thunderlane looked ashamed for a moment before smiling. “Well, if he’s good enough for you then he’s good enough for me.” Thunderlane concluded. Dusk simply did a mock bow and waved a hoof.

Derpy was grasping what looked like a giant stamp usng her left wing. “That said where do you want the guild mark?” Derpy asked.

Dusk looked upward in thought for a few seconds. “My right forehoof I guess.” He shrugged. “So just this is the final requirement huh? Wait what is the cat doing-“The bartender cat held Dusk firmly in place as Thunderlane grabbed his hooves. Before he could get another word out Derpy shoved one of the muffins into his mouth.

There was a sizzle and a crunch as the stamp – actually sort of magical brand Dusk realized – was brought down on his hoof. His eyes and a vein at his neck bulged as he angrily shouted something. Dusk collapsed on the floor as they let him go. The brand glowed with a bronze hue. The design was that of a lion’s head with wings and a stinger overhead.

Dusk felt dizzy and weak as the brand began too cool. He spat the muffin at Thunderlane but the Pegasus ducked. “Damnit warm me next time. I thought it was just some kind of magical stamp.” Dusk groaned out as he got back up. He swayed and tried to shake himself out of his stupor. “Why do I… Ughhhh.”

“You are part of us now, that is the proof. The mark of the Manticore grants you blessings. It grants you a bond like no other, engraved on your very soul. You are welcome among us and to our knowledge.” The bartender explained in a calm tone. He walked away without another word and continued to clean the area.

Dusk just stared in bewilderment at the cat. “Well you’re a member now. Also you get some enhancements and access to special spells as you get a higher rank.” Derpy explained as she pinned a bronze plate to his vest. “Bronze is the lowest while Adamantium is the highest. This book should get you started.” Derpy leapt over the counter and stuffed the Guild guidelines book into Dusk’s saddlebags.

“It’s kinda intense. You’ll feel better in a bit.” Thunderlane promised, he then winced as he recalled his own branding on his neck. Now that dusk had a better look Derpy had the mark on her right shoulder. There didn’t seem to be much reaction among those not incapacitated. Knives climbed to the pile of ponies and cheered before falling down.


A white unicorn approached the trio. She had an electric blue mane that was Dusk would describe as ‘from a toothpaste tube. Her pink eyes seemed to dance. “Milady, I am Dusk Shine.” Dusk tried to sound as cultured as he could with a bow. The unicorn nodded and extended a hoof. Dusk kissed it and smirked.

Derpy rolled her eyes and Thunderlane blinked owlishly. “This is Vinyl Scratch, probably the only one who could be in high society.” Vinyl lifted a hoof her muzzle as she smiled. She then looked around disdainfully at the other conscious ponies in the room. “By now you shouldn’t be surprised. Not many ponies give a damn about much.”

“Yeah even to the Hoofball announcer.” Thunderlane joked back. “So Vinyl, what’s up?”

Vinyl simply levitated a sheet of parchment in front of them. “Request drive back monsters from Sweet Apple Acres and place protective wards around the perimeter facing the Everfree. Reward is-“

“Two-hundred bits nice!”

“Is that a lot?”

Derpy sighed. “That’s a little low considering the Everfree.” Adjusting her spectacles she opened a thick red binder. “The Creatures of the Everfree are dangerous we’ll need to get more info on what’s attacking first.”

“No sweat! A few smacks here and there and two-hundred bits.” Thunderlane boasted, swinging the bat tied to his tail around.

“They may be out of their territory but it doesn’t make them any less dangerous. We should gather more information and then renegotiate for a better reward. Monsters just don’t trot out of the Everfree, this could be serious.”

“Hey Dusk, the four of us should go!” Thunderlane crowed. “We’ll assist in your first quest. Easy bits and we can show you the ropes.”

Dusk seemed to think about it for a few minutes before enthusiastically accepting. Derpy was groaning and shaking her head. Vinyl smiled and nodded. The notice was time sensitive so Vinyl decided to port them. Dusk assisted by giving extra power. He wasn’t sure how to teleport properly yet. Derpy prepared the supplies and the protective wards. Once ready, Dusk and Vinyl touched horns. The four of them disappearing in a light blue flash.


The four of them reappeared right in the middle of the Sweet Apple Acres Orchard. The ‘Apple’ trees had pink blob like fruit. Dusk decided not to question or eat those weird fruits. Several Baskets and ladders were scattered about, abandoned by the workers. Spilled fruit and traces of blood was spilled all over.

Arriving at Sweet Apple Acres, Vinyl’s horn was smoking. Apparently Dusk poured too much magic. She was rubbing a hoof near the base of her horn while Thunderlane gaped at it.

She pouted and looked at Dusk who winced in sympathy. “Did I.. Do that?” He asked in a small echoing voice. Vinyl gaped at Dusk, surprised that he showed no signs of fatigue.

“Woah! Vinyl are you okay?” Thunderlane asked also concerned. Vinyl closed her eyes and tried to cast a spell. Purple arcs of lightning raced over her whole body. She shuddered and fell on her haunches. Thunderlane and Dusk were about to rush over but Derpy blocked them with her wings.

Suddenly Vinyl’s coat puffed up.

Thunderlane and Dusk stared for a moment before cracking up. Derpy snorted as she tried to keep herself under control. Vinyl blinked as the two stallions as they broke into uncontrollable laughter. “You two are insensitive jerks.” Derpy scolded only to start snorting laughter as Dusk made poofing noises.

“I’m- hahahaha hehehahaha – fucking sorry. Aha no really. Hahaha I really am.” Dusk struggled to contain his laughter as he spoke. The poofy white unicorn stared at her companions with flat eyes. “Hey Derps, brushie brushie?” Derpry sighed and pulled out a brush and passed it to Vinyl.

The unicorn seemed surprisingly adept at smoothening her appearance even without her magic. Vinyl however looked a bit awkward donning the brace and sheathed sword. The sheath was located at the side of her barrel.

“Now this is most unfortunate, Dusk’s magic transfer had some unforeseen consequences.” Derpy gravely intoned. Dusk having just realized the outcome was really apologizing now. “Hopefully this extermination quest won’t go anymore south. We can negotiate payment after we sort out this mess.” Dusk and Vinyl nodded.

“Question!” Thunderlane called out, a hoof raised. “But would they pay us for our services? We haven’t met the employer yet.”

Vinyl passed a sheet of parchment to Derpy. Derpy read the note before stuffing it into her bags. “Vinyl already took care of that earlier. And if they won’t honor it. Well let’s say they will have to deal with extreme weather conditions instead of pests.” Derpy’s glasses gleamed.

“I want to be paid…” Thunderlane whined.

“If all else fails we can simply settle the dept. By appropriating resources of value equal to services rendered. With interest.” Dusk declared with an evil smirk. Vinyl raised her head in a snobby fashion complete with a condescending smirk.

“You three are evil. That’s how the mafia works!” Thunderlane accusingly pointed at the three. Smiling broadly he half meant it. He was convinced those three would fit in.

However their amusement was cut short. The atmosphere became oppressive as the two Pegasi tensed up. Dusk summoned a broadsword to his side and Thunderlane unslung his bat. Vinyl’s horn simply sparked. Glaring at Dusk she drew her rapier with her mouth.

“Sorry.” Dusk lamely muttered.

Dusk could barely register the snarl as Thunderlane blurred forward and smashed a wooden wolf’s head. “Strike! One down.” He cheered as he took to the air. Thunderlane spotted 6 wolves around the orchard.

Dusk remembered Timberwolves from the show, but these were nothing like that. These creatures seemed like carvings of real wolves and moved so fluid and lifelike. The wolf Thunderlane hit jumped back, a chunk of its face crushed. A vine like growth enveloped its face and repaired itself. The two stallions reacted appropriately.

“Oh come on!”

“You got to be kidding me!”

“Quite interesting. What other fascinating creatures inhabit those woods?” Derpy mused flipping through a book. Without even looking she also took to the air. Two wolves colliding into each other.

Dusk jammed his knife into the head of the wolf. He was shocked as the magical grip on his weapon faded. He tied to fling the wolf with his magic but he felt it drain him. The wolf lunged and bit down hard on his right shoulder. Screaming in pain he slammed his other hoof repeatedly on the handle.

Vinyl looked like she was dancing, the two wolves unable to close in on her. She struck out and evaded gracefully but she overexerting herself physically. Two were being led on a merry chase by Thunderlane. The black Pegasus flying low and weaving around various obstacles. One was futilely trying to reach Derpy. The grey Pegasus was observing what was going on.

“Dusk hold your weapon in your mouth. They seem to be feeding on your focused magical fields.” Derpy suggested. Dusk struggled for a few moments before biting hard on the handle and twisting. The jaws still locked on Dusk as the rest of the wolf collapsed. “Thunderlane execute Shock and Awe Maneuver. Then assist Vinyl.”

Dusk let out a scream of rage as he lunged on top of the wolf trying to get at Derpy. He plunged his knife into its back. The wolf yelped in surprised and tried to shake off the pony angrily holding on. The wolf Dusk took down stilled.

Thunderlane flew high then came down on the two wolves like lightning. Then he exploded. As the cloud of dust the settled the wolves were shuddering and sparking. The smoking Thunderlane proceeded to wail on one of the wolves circling Vinyl.

Derpy was staring at the still wolf for a bit before barking out orders. “Decapitate the wolves! They don’t regenerate if you manage to do that.” Derpy stared at Dusk, unsure what to do.

Dusk lost the grip on his knife and was now swearing loudly about the wolves’ mom. Vinyl attempted to decapitate the wolf she was facing. The strike failed to cut all the way through and the unicorn struggled to pull out the blade. Thunderlane too couldn’t pull out his bat from the vines growing on the wolf. Dusk was finally flung off all. Worst of all the two paralyzed wolves got back on their paws.

*BANG* As Dusk shot the wolf his stomach felt empty for some reason. All of the wolves glared at him with gleaming red eyes. “I think I did a stupid.” He nervously said. The four wolves rushed him. Dusk was once more screaming but now in a hysterical fashion.

Vinyl collapsed in exhaustion and Thunderlane tried to pry the predators off Dusk. Derpy’s eyes wandered in opposite directions. She slapped herself to get her eyes back into focus. She rubbed her forehead as she tried to figure out what to do. “Derpy! Just bucking do something!” Thunderlane yelled desperately.

“Don’t you have any other maneuvers!?” Derpy yelled back. “Something with a little more power.”

“Well I do but I’d hit the newbie too! Not to mention I can’t pull off any more if this one fails.”

“He can take it!” Derpy insisted. She flew into one of the trees. Fearing whatever Thunderlane was going to do.

Thunderlane shook his head and shot up. After reaching a certain height he flipped and flew straight down. His body sparked all over as he gained momentum. Dusk could have sworn he heard plane noises. Then Thunderlane exploded again.

The explosion shattered the wolves into dozens of pieces. The soot covered Dusk was lying down in the middle of a crater. Covered in various bite marks and embedded shards of wood. Thunderlane was flying in circles as he slowly decended. This time however he had a few burns.

Dusk slowly got to his hooves and so did Thunderlane. Derpy poked her head out and looked around. “Well I didn’t think you knew the Japonese Burst Dive. I’d give you a 7.6 but still quite impressive” She said with a hint of surprise. She spied one of the wolf heads rattling. “Sompony axe it.”

Dusk summoned a sledgehammer. Holding it in his mouth he smashed the wolf head into splinters. “Wood you stay down?” Thunderlane joked. Dusk glared at Thunderlane and spat out his weapon. “Also how is this buck still standing?”

Dusk took calming breaths for a few minutes before calming down. “Because I ate breakfast. Hah, take that Derpy! You would have exploded.” Dusk grinned but it was bit forced. He seemed to be shaken by current events. He winced as he limped forwards. “I need healing!”

Derpy shook her head and flew over to Dusk. “Thunderlane check on Vinyl.” She asked. Thunderlane nodded and trotted over to Vinyl. Derpy used a cheap bottle of alcohol to disinfect Dusk’s wounds. She then took her time pulling out wood pieces out of Dusk. Thankfully his wounds were shallow. She then pulled out a bottle with a pink fluid and told Dusk to drink it.

“Why does it taste like blueberries? Also I feel way better.” Dusk laughed as his wounds healed. He stared in amazement as his wounds rapidly healed. He gave his formerly crippled arm a few experimental flexes. “Magic~.” He singsonged.

“A potion that stimulates a pony’s natural healing ability. The guild supplies a few to members of eligible rank” Derpy explained. “Also it shouldn’t work that fast.” Derpy frowned as she went through her notes again.

Dusk walked over to check on how Vinyl was doing. The unicorn just overexerted herself and was now on her hooves. She was still a bit wobbly though. “You want a ride Mistress?” Dusk offered. Vinyl rolled her eyes and tried to walk. Thunderlane caught her as she fell and deposited her on Dusk’s back. “Just think of this as a taxi.” Thunderlane laughed as Vinyl mouthed ‘I hate all of you”.

“Ughh… So how you’re holding up?”

“Great actually. That potion fixed me up good. You don’t look that good though.” Dusk pointed out.

“Well my magic is low. I’d have to walk home.” Thunderlane groaned as he flapped his wings.

Catching Dusk’s confused look Derpy explained again. “Pegasi need magic to fly. Those maneuvers used a lot of magic. Both to use various elemental effects and to protect himself.” Looking Thunderlane over, she then added. “I’ll place the wards. I’ll rush back if there are more hostiles.”

“One more question. Why weren’t you fighting?” Dusk ask a bit sharply.

“Well… I’m no good in combat. But pegasi don’t miss much. Because I’m not fighting I see things that you would otherwise miss.” She explained. “Oh and I’m quite knowledgeable. My knowledge and observations give more of an edge to my team than you realize.” She proudly added.

“So your combat skills are moot so you play backseat gamer.” Dusk replied, still not happy with the answer. He held a hoof up as Derpy was about to retort. “I know. I know. I actually get it okay. It’s just that hovering over me while I’m being torn apart isn’t pleasant.” Dusk then shuddered.

Derpy look sympathetic for a moment. “Well I’ll be off now.” Derpy then flew over to the Everfree.

Dusk’s anger gave way to amazement as he gazed upon the Everfree. Now taking a look at it Dusk realized the green spot he saw when he was outside Ponyville was this. The pastel bown trees had seafoam green leaves and motes of golden light floated around.

“Okay. How did I miss the giant forest with glowing lights?” Dusk questioned as he dispelled his weapons.

“Well we did port in. And there were the wolves that attacked us.” Thunderlane suggested. “Anyways, the Everfree is a massive natural maze filled with the most dangerous creatures. If you don’t follow the path chances are you’d be stuck for a very long time.” Thunderlane gave a summary before slurping a potion.

Vinyl was staring at Thunderlane intensely. She mouthed ‘You make it sound so simple’. Thunderlane processed the lip speak for a few moments before replying. “Well yeah, we all know that place is a deathtrap.” He casually replied. Vinyl seemed to be displeased that he downplayed the danger the forest posed.

“Are those glowing lights normal though?” Dusk clarified, pointing at the large forest. However his two companions didn’t see it. They stared at each other. Then at the forest for a bit.

“What lights?” Thunderlane asked and Vinyl mouthed. They looked confused and they gave Dusk wary looks. “Maybe you hit your head too hard.” Thunderlane carefully suggested. Dusk kept on looking at the forest. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. Maybe I’m just seeing stars.” Dusk absently replied.

Thunderlane gave a nervous chuckle. “Yeah. We’re all spent. We could kick back and share a few drinks at the guild.” The black Pegasus offered. Vinyl cleared her throat. “Well after we collect our pay and drop Vinyl off of course.”

Dusk smiled. “Yeah that sounds good. As long as I’m not paying.”

Author's Note:

So nalaman ko na... este. I just realized I had this account. I forgot about it for awhile honestly. I'll find some time to edit this mess I suppose. English seems really hard to write compared to speaking it. So yeah enjoy i guess? Also I haven't watched mlp since season 5 so I have a lot to catch up on. But this is based on the comic au.