• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 2,964 Views, 42 Comments

It's a brutal world mate... - shattered_sky



It turns out my biggest problems is affording coffee and paying rent. And potions. And spending time injured. And trying to coexist with the rowdiest, most destructive guild. Also Why do I sound so edgy? I mean now that I READ what I said it's.......

  • ...
13
 42
 2,964

The broken world: Everfree

---Dusk: POV---

You know. Yesterday was the most terrifying day of my life. Ever since I was young I always got into fights. Said things, pissed bigger kids off and got reduced to a crying beaten mess. Sometimes I got away though. I guess one of the biggest drawbacks of being an Alicorn is…

We can’t get drunk apparently.

Derpy managed to place the wards without any trouble apparently. Well I like being paid but I’m still wondering what was going on. The wolves attacked the workers on the orchard for some reason. I had some questions but Derpy told us to wait outside the orchard. Thunderlane and Vinly didn’t have any objections so I begrudgingly waited with them.

Afterwards we all headed back. Thunderlane was true to his word and treated me to some beer. Derpy went home and we dropped off Vinyl. Earth ponies are really scary. So Octavia apparently shared the same house with Vinyl. She took our unicorn companion inside then chased us off with a chainsaw. Yes a FUCKING chainsaw. Guess she was pissed at us. That’s the first time I teleported by the way. With luck Thunderlane got swept up too.

So anyways we drank, everyone else got drunk and somebody smashed a table over Knives’ head. That was my cue to exit. From what I gathered two days ago, a few smucks start a whole mess. I'd go back to the Library and get some rest.

So today I wanted to make more bits. But there wasn’t many jobs I could tackle on my own. Most were scouting or escorts. And I knew nothing about the areas around. In fact on my own I couldn’t really go anywhere without getting lost. I needed someone who knew the lay of the land.

My rank was at the lowest so I needed to be with a silver or gold for most of them. I didn’t go with Derpy. If it was just the both of us I’d be on the front all the time. Thunderlane got sick from drinking too much. Vinyl was still recovering from whatever happened to her. And I knew no one else. I need a better idea on how to get around. “Maybe I should go back to the Library now.” I muttered to myself.

“Hey newbie! How didya get up there?” A scratchy voice called. I walked over to the edge to see who it was. Oh it was knives. Her hood wasn’t revealing her messy peanut brown mane and very light brown coat. “Yes you! Drunk unicorns are the funniest eh?”

“I just got here.” Maybe she’s out on a quest. “You going a quest? You could use some backup.” I suggested. I hpe it’s not like yesterday though.

“They always say that they're stargazing. Damned drunks. Yeah that star is really bright!” She pointed at the sun. She isn’t even listening to me. Wincing at the offending bright light she lowered her blue eyes. “Ugh. It totally drives away the others amirite?” She asked a bit drunkenly. Is she- oh yeah I guess. The drunk mare took swig from a bottle. How do ponies hold things in their hooves like that? Also she's rambling.

“Yeah, I guess. So Quest. You going. Right?” I irritably inquired.

She stared at me for a few minutes. “Yeah. I have a job if you’re interested. More like an errand though. But good pay.” She spoke.

“How much?”

“Oh something better than money~.” She singed as she waved the bottle at me. I don’t like it when somebody says that. But it couldn’t hurt to listen. “You in?”

“Depends.” With that I jumped down. Huh I forgot my wings were tucked in. So my face met the earth. Spitting out the earth and getting back up I turned to the earth pony. “So what’s up?”

“Oooohhhhh! Why are these ponies so careless? Are you okay mister?” A pony ran up to me with a worried expression on his face. He wasn’t really a colt but he wasn’t a stallion yet either. Now getting a closer look he was a unicorn with a curved horn. He had fluffy white coat and shinning blue eyes. “You think he’s concussed?” He turned to knives.

“Naw he’s tough. I heard he took a pegasi maneuver point blank. Though Thunder isn’t the best.” She mused. “Also what’s a concussed?”

“I don’t think a person could get a concussion from that.” Dusk pondered. “Well not me.” I proudly declared. Well the glowing light might say otherwise. Huh his Cutie mark was a blue star with five tiny four pointed stars.

“Well you can call me knives and this is my bro, Isaac Stargazer.” She introduced themselves. Turning back to her brother she took another swig. “And this buck’s name is Dusk shine.” She then let out a loud belch. “’Cuse me.”

“Hello, it’s nice to meet you!” He brightly greeted. There was something about this pony. Like he literally radiated happiness. Something tugged at my lips. Wait I just noticed he had a basket on his back. He seemed to follow my gaze. “Oh, are you hungry? Here have some bread.” He offered.

I swallowed. I didn’t eat dinner last night. He floated out a loaf of bread. Huh his magic is colored gold. It wasn’t exactly fresh, probably baked yesterday. Well no harm I guess. I grabbed it with my magic and took a bite out of it.

“Umm are you okay?”

I zoned out for a moment. Suddenly I had memories of a long haired girl. She was kinda afraid of everything outside. She used to babysit a friend of mine. Brown hair, flat nosed and he was really skinny. His father was a businessman from the Philippines. Yes his name was Nathan. He was really shy.

We visited her frequently at the mental institution. Her paranoia was so bad she could barely function sometimes. Her name was Trisha. I’m not sure what happened to put her in such a state. She was a kind small woman. We frequently visited her and brought her bread from our favorite bread shop. Arghhh why can’t I remember the name?! Nathan only really smiled when he was with her. He didn’t have that good of a relationship with his family ever since his mother passed away.

Then one day she disappeared. Nathan never went back to that bakeshop again.

What the fuck?

“Dude are you crying?” Knives asked with snorting laughter.

“I… This is the best bread I’ve tasted.” My voiced wavered for a moment. And I meant what I said. Even if it was a day old it somehow trumped any fresh bread I’ve eaten. Light and tasty and somehow really filling. I just took bite after bite until it was gone. Knives was covering her mouth and snorting. Isaac looked concerned and confused.

“Thank you.” I said with as much sincerity as I could. Just now I felt something warm slide down my cheeks. I quickly wiped the tears I didn’t know were there. Wait Isaac isn’t a pony name right? “Wait Isaac is a weird name for a pony.” I tried to steer the conversation in a different direction. Plus I was curious.

“Well that’s just my name.” He innocently offered.

“Yeah you’re weird. You named yourself didn’t you?” Knives sneered. Well… not really. “Well anyways I need help. Word is you could do me a solid.” Solid what?

“Yes Job! What and where?” I impatiently asked. I was about to shake this mare. Hopefully it wouldn’t involve those things from yesterday. I suppressed a shudder.

“Naw. Maybe? Well not really but sorta. Just simple really all you need to do is go with my brother?” She declared. “I would but I have very important business.”

“You want me to escort your brother somewhere.”

“Yep!”

“Probably somewhere dangerous.”

“Not really.”

“And I just met you and your brother today.”

“Nope. You met me yesterday. Also you want a job right?”

She just messing with me right? “Are you serious?”

“Totally.” She easily answered. “Well everpony else is hung over or unavailable. Plus Octavia apparently holds you in high regard.” Oh fuck. She IS pissed at me. This must be really dangerous or something.

“Well I was thinking of going on a quest. I need to pay the bills you know. I don’t think bits are up front in this arrangement.” I tried to dodge. I have a bad feeling about this.

“Well it’s not like I’m not going to pay you. In fact it’s worth risking a limb. I’m talking healing potions and other medicine. Really valuable in times like this.” The offer did sound tempting. Only when I got a higher rank I could get the freebies. And medicine could save my life in dire situations. Also I didn't have much money. So far.

“Well I’ll think about it. But I need details…”

“Great! Here’s all you need to know.” She interrupted. Shoving a piece of paper into my mouth.

Suddenly an iron-plated wagon pulled by Rainbow dash came to a screeching halt in front of us. She was wearing what appeared to be a light barding with an out of place ornate silver bracelet with a red stone on her left shoulder. The unicorn with a purple meticulously styled mane rode in the back. She wore some sort of a battle dress? Wait that’s Rarity. “Get in darling. There is fashionable late and there’s never.” She spoke as she pulled Knives into the wagon.

“Well gotta go lubya bro!” She spoke while letting out a few flying kisses. Then the cart sped west. She shouted something in the distance.

“Wut?” The only word that came out of my mouth after spitting out the paper. This was beyond bizarre for me.

Isaac was pouting. “She runs off like that sometimes. Well I can grab the herbs but she doesn’t want me to go alone.” He sadly explained. “I guess she can’t keep an eye on me all the time.”

Wait herbs? My blood froze. I slowly uncrumpled the piece of paper. Panic rising as I read the note. ‘Everfree: Escort Isaac while he gathers herbs. Rewards are 3x healing potions 6x healing bandages 2x burn gel misc. herbs.’ Everfree.

Nononononononono fucking damnit! “Mister Dusk? Are you okay?” He asked in concern.

No. I’m not okay with this.

*********

I’m still not okay with this.

“NO!” My voice boomed as I sat in the guild’s infirmary. I’d went in to check how much potions sold for here. The young unicorn shrank for bit before pleading again.

“Please Mister Dusk! This is really important for the whole guild. These medicines save our guildmates” He pleaded. Those soulful blue eyes teared up. RESIST!

“Look boy. I didn’t even accept it. I would have turned it down flat out if I knew!” Fuck that drunk. Dropping things like that on me. I don’t even know her or this kid!

“I promise, I know how to traverse it safely.” He promised. Safe way? I then fixed my stare on him. He shrank again from the intensity of my gaze. I relaxed then he swallowed. “I-I promise Mister Dusk I know how to get in and out safely.”

“Anything else than follow the yellow road?” I joked.

“The road isn’t yellow, it’s grey actually. But there are certain rules and safe places I’ve discovered.” Isaac explained. “And as long as you follow them you’ll be safe.”

I prepared to listen. If what this boy is saying is true I can do a lot with this information. “Why are you smiling Mister Dusk?” He questioned.

“Well because I’ve experienced dangerous things from that forest. I guess that means I’m safer now.” His face became serious for a moment as he studied me. His blue eyes had a faint golden glow. Okay what the hell is going on? His features relaxed. Suddenly I feel pressured.

“Mister Dusk sir? What weapons do you use?” He asked. Why does he want to know?

I decided to be honest with him. He seems like a sincere person errr pony. He couldn’t make food like that if he was deceitful. “Well I use various melee weapons. From a butterfly knife to sledgehammers.” He frowned. I sighed. “I also use a sniper rifle.” His eyes widened.

“I see…” He said slowly. He went quiet and started studying me again. This kid is making me nervous now. Are all ponies this weird around here? Something different about him I just don’t know what. “I’m sorry Mister Dusk. I just don’t like weapons. Especially guns”

So the kid’s a pacifist I guess. “Yeah guns are really dangerous. I prefer not to use them if I can.” Not to mention how easy it to use now. I never thought how I feel about that. About these changes. He looked sad too now. “Not to mention sometimes you can talk things out or run away.” I told him. He smiled at that.

“Well you see. Please don’t disregard what I’m going to say okay?” He pleaded. I solemnly nodded in response. “The spirits of the forest are disturbed greatly manufactured objects. Especially those made of iron and wood.”

Wait when I was attacked... I shot the wolf and they attacked me. All of them attacked me. “Umm Mister Dusk have you ever encountered wolves made of wood?” He asked in a soft tone. I need to breathe. I got up to get some air.

“Just stop kid you’re freaking me out!” He was weirding me out to much. First the bread now this. His eyes stopped glowing and I felt the pressure go away.
“I’m sorry! Mister Dusk please calm down!” Isaac began to tear up. In the corner of my vision a bright purple unicorn levitating a bonesaw rushed in. I felt my body being forced down. I my body was covered in a lavender hue of magic. As I tried to cast my own magic but a chain wrapped around my horn and my body. The chain squeezed me tightly especially around my horn.

As pain shot through my body the chain wrapped around my mouth. Oh I had a lot of profanities to spew. This motherfucker is going down! I’m going to stab him with my horn if I see the guy doing this. I flopped off the bed and saw my assailant. The unicorn mare stared at me coldly and fired a spell at me.

It didn’t seem to do anything. So I stilled. She relaxed and walked over to Isaac. Chance! I jumped up and attempted to skew her with my horn. Her horn lit up and she tossed me aside. “Miss Twilight stop!” Isaac pleaded, blocking her. “And Mister Dusk please calm down.”

“Ugh fine.” She disgustedly conceded. The chains faded and I gasped for air. I tried to stand up. I felt a warm aura surround me and gently lift me.

The mare with the dark purple mane with a pink stripe was Twilight Sparkle. She wore a lab coat and a pair of spectacles. Her mane was tied up in a messy bun. “Put me down.” Isaac squeaked and I dropped on my hooves. Twilight was studying me. I wanted to strangle her but I relented. I could pay her back another time.

“You should be asleep. That was an anesthetic spell.” She muttered in amazement, “Fascinating.” She marveled for a moment before scowling. “Not another idiot. This time one that can’t be put underneath the operating table easily. Great.” She whined.

Her blueish grey plate was in a black choker. A platinum? “Well it is called an anesthetic spell and not a sleep spell.” I snarked. Still trying to collect my bearings. She looked at me like I was a total idiot.

“Miss Twilight that wasn’t very nice!” Isaac stomped as he scolded the older mare. “I offended Mister Dusk and I upset him. But he wasn’t going to hurt me.” He insisted.

“Yeah. You jumped the gun on that one. Shame on you.” I sneered.

“Well you look like the type. But sorry I guess.” She halfheartedly apologized. She looked me over for a bit. “I’m Twilight Sparkle. And you must be Dusk Shine.” As I opened my mouth she interrupted me. “Having a Pegasus explode on you to remove a group of living wood golems is the top story this week.” She was amused. I couldn’t help but glare.

“Oh I’m sorry. You don’t seem to be a big deal.” She glared back at me. “I would have heard about you. If you were a big deal.”

“Well you are an impressive punching bag at most. A reputation you deserve I suppose.”

“Both of you please stop.” Isaac pleaded.

“He’s requesting his medicine.”

“I changed my mind. This mare is ending up in this infirmary.” Oh it’s on!

“Even at failing though you aren’t the most spectacular. Two weeks ago Rainbow Crash flew into a flaming flag and actually set a whole camp on fire. Oh then she fell into a toilet.” She then gave a wicked smile. “Mind you most areas don’t have proper plumbing. And the definition of their ‘toilets’ are a few holes in a wooden surface where their excrement dropped into a pit below.” WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?

“TM! TM! Why are you telling me this!?” I shouted as I formed a T shape with my hooves.

“Twilight!” Isaac stomped. He was looking a little green.

“I was just trying to say there are worst ways you could go. RD almost set an example.” She was enjoying herself. Suddenly the magical forest of death seems like the better alternative.

“Come one Isaac, let’s go.” I declared as I rushed out of the clinic. “We’re going to the magical natural death maze for herbs.” Anything but this crazy mare. She might even charge me a hoof for medicine.

“Wait really?”

“I need good healing stuff. I don’t trust this doctor.”

*********

Now I was really scared to be honest but Isaac told me everything he knew about the Everfree.. Apparently there’s some great spirit watching over this forest along with countless others. Those glowing lights were actually spirits. When I told him that I saw those he seemed eager and overjoyed, apparently not everyone is sensitive to those.

First rule of course was to limit the amount of manufactured equipment I carried. I left my bags and my guild plate behind. My weapons aren’t carried on my person and with a thought I could get those but I wasn’t keen on drawing anything here. I insisted on the vest though. He pressed and I told him I had scars. He looked troubled but he didn’t object anymore.

I also had to respect the plants and wildlife in the forest. And to try to keep my thoughts as neutral as possible. If not I’d agitate the more dangerous things in the forest. Isaac confirmed that those wolves were golems fashioned by a shaman of some sort. And that we would try to avoid her or give her an offering of sorts.

He also stressed that for each herb we plucked with should help grow more. He said he’d take care of that. If not possible he’d plant one of these saplings instead. He loaded them in a stone cart that I hauled. If something extremely dangerous came along I’d chuck this at them and teleport out with him.

Fuck why did I even come here? Greed? Was it to face my fears? Or a mental image of this colt being torn apart by wooden wolves? I’m shaking again damnit. He looked concerned but I told him I was just cold. Steeling myself I started walking upon the grey road. It wasn’t straight though. It curved and slithered like a snake and nothing grew on it. All around us were those weird trees, various mushrooms, herbs and tall grass.

Oh and the glowing lights were a light green now for some reason. Some of them floated over and brushed Isaac’s coat occasionally as we walked. “Leave the cart here Mister Dusk. And please mind the grass.” Isaac instructed.

I wanted to protest but he smiled at me, encouraging me to follow him. He carefully stepped into the grass and after a while I followed him. I made sure to follow in his footsteps. He led me into a clearing and he started picking herbs.

I kept an eye out for trouble. He carefully plucked various herbs and mushrooms. He planted some branches from the bushes he harvested from. I don’t really know much about plants but the spirits did. They swirled and danced around him and Isaac looked really happy.

My ear flicked as I heard something rustling in the bushes. A figure blurred between the trees. “So. Aside from the wildlife and plants. What else lives here?” I asked him. Trying to stuff my fear in a box, and ship back to my world.

He continued his delicate work for a moment before answering. “Well I’ve heard there are the deer folk. But nopony has actually seen them.” He had his held a sizable clump of herbs in his magic. The pile was as big as him. He left dozens of stems embedded in the ground and piles of dirt. “Let’s go back to the cart. I still need a few more ingredients for the guild.”


“So you plant these sticks and seeds and the forest calls it even.” It wasn’t a question. I was a bit skeptical.
“These will grow one day into more bushes, flowers and other plants. Derpy gave me a book on horticulture. I learned a lot from it.” He beamed. I hooked myself to the cart and started walking again. I can’t shake off the feeling I’m being watched. A floral scent wafted through the air. “Hmmm what a wonderful smell. Isn’t nature amazing?” He asked.

Yeah. I like killer death forests. “Yeah. Totally amazing.” I said sarcastically.

“I know right?” Right over his head.

He led me into another clearing. You know I think I should have meant that. This time there was a pond filled with sparkling water and all sort of animals went on their own business. Squirrels scurried up and down trees and rabbits hopped here and there. Lily pads were scattered in the pond and frogs jumped back and forth. Birds of all color and size flew around. Insects buzzed around a bed of scarlet flowers. All sorts of sounds were thrown around but it wasn’t annoying honestly. It actually calmed me down. I felt peaceful.

“If you don’t mind Mister Dusk could you plant a few sapling over there?” The fluffy unicorn pointed over near a great tree that was felled. The stump had scorch marks. This was hit by lightning. A voice in my head told me it was Rainbow Dash. Well that could be true too.

“Sure.” I easily replied. I guess I should help too. Levitating a group of objects seemed to be difficult. I wanted to bring the whole cart but I guess he made me leave it there for a reason. So far following his advice mad this place seem hospitable even. So I levitated those one by one.

I was going to summon the Market Gardener but that shovel would probably agitate the spirits according to Isaac. So I slowly dug up six holes and delicately planted each. I wondered if I could bring the tree stump, mushrooms were growing on the side. I could bring it back and call it a mushroom farm. One ingredient we didn’t have to come back for every time. Now that I think about it why couldn’t we just plant things back at town?

“Oh great spirits. May I bring this tree stump? I present an offering in the form of these saplings. Which will one day become mighty trees.” I joked with a sweep of my hooves and a bow. Of course they didn’t talk back. They were probably either solemnly nodding or just laughing at me. I began to dig out the stump.

Oh warrior pony. You show honor the spirits of this forest. I bid thee only partake of the mushrooms themselves. This was once a mighty tree as you see.” A dignified voice echoed softly. I froze mid bow. Smell of flowers. “This once mighty tree will be home for mushrooms and little creatures of the land.

Young warrior you show some measure of wisdom and respect for the forest. I would honor you in return.” The voice said with a touch of apprehension. Oh no. “If you honored the forest’s wishes sooner.” The voice turned cold and suddenly the animal sounds quieted.

I was scared speechless. The spirit actually answered and I was in deep shit. *Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.* It sounded as if something heavy was rumbling towards me. I wanted to shout but I could not find my voice. I wanted to run but my legs were shaking.

You are of them. Who defiled my forest. You defended them who wanted to take. Until this place is barren.” Anger was rising in its voice. I began to shake. I stood no chance if I fought. And I couldn’t move. *Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.*

*Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.*

*Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.*

*Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.*

The forest charges its due. From the forest, for the forest, is the forest.” It chanted.

*Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.*

And it demands… A life equal to the lives taken.” It concluded. A shadow loomed over me. I slowly turned around. A creature of stone covered in vines, plants and mushrooms. It gazed at me with a yellow light from the hole in its face. A golem.

I found my voice and I screamed. I can smash it with something! Something! The tree! My head ached as I lifted the giant tree of the ground. I put in everything I got in my telekinesis and lifted it high above me. My horn ached too now.

Then I lost my sight. All feeling in my body. I felt cold. I was dead. I just didn’t know it yet.

---POV: 3rd person---

“MISTER DUSK!” Isaac shouted as he ran towards where he heard the shout. He was panicking and the animals were the same. But he had to save him. It was fault the young unicorn thought. Dusk unwittingly raised the ire of the forest. Dusk was meant to protect him from the more dangerous creatures but the purple pony was in danger himself. Oh he could have waited for knives to accompany him.

He saw Dusk levitating a giant tree. His mouth was wide in a silent scream and his eyes were rolled back. He fainted standing up. Isaac then saw the stone golem covered with plants. “Please stop!” He yelled putting himself between the golem and Dusk. He was scared to death but he couldn’t leave an innocent pony to die.

Young Isaac Stargazer. Welcome.” The voice greeted. A hooded figure stepping out.

“Flora it’s not funny!” Isaac stomped. He looked like he was going to cry.

The hooded figure removed her hood. Revealing the young female speckled deer. She smelled of flowers and her green eyes twinkled. “I’m sorry. *ahem* Sorry okay I couldn’t resist.” She beamed. She had a mischievous air to her. She went over to Isaac stroking his mane. “I’m sorry okay I got bored.” She said a bit more seriously.

Isaac sniffed and looked at Dusk. “He’s has trauma of some sort you know. You almost gave him a heart attack. Isaac looked over the unresponsive pony with his magic. He gave a sigh as he realized Dusk was simply unconscious. The tree fell down along with Dusk. Isaac jumped and let out a yelp.

The doe stared at the purple pony sprawled on the grass. “He’s one of those ponies isn’t he? Who fought Fern’s wolves?” She curiously asked. Isaac sat on his haunches and sniffed again. He gave a tiny nod. “Huh. Me and my sister are supposed to protect the forest. But he followed the rules of the forest so I can give him a pass this time.” She allowed with a smile.

“Thanks…” Lifting Dusk in his magic he carried him back to the cart. “I wished you didn’t frighten us like that though.” He pouted.

“I’ll walk you as far as I can. Next time we can play.” She merrily spoke. Skipping around Isaac as he hooked himself to the cart. “You can handle that fluffykins?” She asked.

“It’s a little heavy but I’m tougher then I look.” He reassured her. It wasn’t a boast. He was able to pull the cart with the same effort but a bit slower. Flora stared in amazement at the normally timid unicorn. “I’d love to visit you next time.” He smiled warmly at the doe.

“You can bring your new friend next time too!”

“…I’m not sure he’d want that.”

Author's Note:

Well I'm pumping this chapter out early. Because. I'm still trying to get a feel for this whole thing honestly. Well enjoy I guess. (Maybe I should get someone to look at these things first.)

Huh it's around 10 pm here in the Philippines.