• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 2,964 Views, 42 Comments

It's a brutal world mate... - shattered_sky



It turns out my biggest problems is affording coffee and paying rent. And potions. And spending time injured. And trying to coexist with the rowdiest, most destructive guild. Also Why do I sound so edgy? I mean now that I READ what I said it's.......

  • ...
13
 42
 2,964

Spirit of Earth: Strike

Thunderlane and the Cake Twins were surprised to see another group of workers were already there. They were almost beaten to death. Fluttershy was wrapped in vines and was stained with blood. A sheet covered another pony. A deer stood among the ponies and was frantically mixing herbs and wrapping up ponies in bandages. She was wet with perspiration and wore a worried expression on her face.

“Oh dear oh dear… The Ideals did this? But why?” She frantically muttered as she worked. She had a long blond mane that reached well beyond her hooves.

“Yo, is this your sis?” Pound asked Flora. He took to perching on the golem’s head.

“Yeah. Hey, Hazelnut. Long time no see!” Flora happily waved to the other deer. Hazelnut let out a yelp in surprise as she almost dropped the herbal medicine she just made. “See you haven’t changed much.” She grinned as she slid down the golem’s arm and in front of her.

“Sis!” She squealed happily as she grabbed Flora into a bone crushing hug. She spun but she tripped on her own her and both deer were sent tumbling. They shared a laugh for a moment. Thunderlane chuckled, Pumpiken ‘Awwwed’ and Pound gagged.

“Wait a minute. Hazelnut!?” Thunderlane got up with a start, only to lie back down in pain. “Trottingham’s Avalanche!? Holy shit.” Thunderlane swore as the golem set him down. “One of the strongest Adventurers alive.”

The deer blushed. “Ah, you’re too kind. I’m just a Platinum rank.” She then gasped as she returned to her patients. “These poor ponies need help. Could you all lend me a hoof?” She requested. Several workers immediately headed to their companions to give them aid.

“Just a Platinum rank?” The twins muttered at the same time.

“Geez sis, you didn’t even braid your hair?” Flora playfully chided.

“Well I had to travel all the way from White Tail Village.” She admitted. “I had to leave my armor behind too, it would have taken me too long.”

“Thank you for your help Miss Hazelnut.” She then gasped. “Oh we haven’t introduced ourselves. I’m Pumpkin Cake and this is my twin Pound Cake.” She cheerfully declared. “We’re really grateful for your help.” Pumpkin bowed in thanks.

“This used to be my home. And I want to help anyone I can. “She then turned and smiled at Thunderlane. “And this must be Thunderlane, Dusk talked about you and his other friends.”

“You met that guy?” Thunderlane asked, his eyebrows climbing to his forehead.

“This is still your home sis. The spirits themselves blessed you on your journey.” She jabbed her in the side with her hoof. “Whoa. Have you been working out?” Flora began poking her side.

“I thought your sister lived with you Flora.” Pound tilted his head in confusion.

“Yeah, Fern lives here with me. Hazelnut on the other hoof is an adventurer.” She explained. This raised up more questions, but neither of them seemed keen on explaining. “So what’s up sis?”

Hazelnut went on to explain that the spirits called her. She destroyed the talismans near a cavern and moved all of the workers to safety. The ponies were stupefied by her supposed strength. She then went on to explain that one of the workers were beyond her ability to help. She also thought that Fluttershy wouldn’t make it. But she’s somehow healing herself. Fluttershy was trashing in her sleep so she wrapped her up in vines.

“Wait how about Derpy!?” Thunderlane asked with concern.

“I’m sorry Mister Thunderlane, I didn’t see Miss Ditzy.” She apologized.

“Oh no…” Pumpkin despaired.

“Naw Pumpkin, I’m sure she’s fine.” Pound Cake tried to reassure her. But he didn’t seem convinced himself.

“We need to head for the Heart of the Forest.” Hazelnut declared. Flora’s normally playful expression turned serious.

“You know sis we can’t lead others there.” Flora firmly reminded.

“They have a plan to capture the Ancient Spirit.” She swallowed as she spoke. Flora looked at her in horror. “We can’t stop them alone.”

“You can’t be serious. No Shaman can bind a spirit that powerful.” Flora chuckled nervously. “They’re crazy. It can’t be done.”

“We have to move Flora.” She let out a yelp as she tripped on her hair. She tried to untangle herself for a few moments but failed. “I need help with my hair.” She smiled sheepishly as she struggled.

“No, they can’t come. With Fern we can handle the intruders. The ponies should tend to their own.”

“Master is gonna flip.” Pound concluded.

“Hah, yeah…” Thunderlane added. He tried to give a flap of his wings. “Ow ow ow ow!” He complained and he lay down again.

“Pound, we should stay here with them.” Pumpkin offered in concern. As Pound opened his mouth to complain she cut him up. “Look, somepony needs to watch all over them. And if we separate we’re a lot weaker. And Thunderlane and Angel are injured bad, they won’t be fighting anytime soon.” At Pound’s glare she stomped her hoof. “We need to watch over all of these ponies! They could be attacked. If there were more of us we could send one the town for help.”

“Yo dude. Pumpkin’s got a point.” Thunderlane sheepishly added. “I ain’t flying anytime soon. There’s Diane and Knives over there, they’ll kick anypony’s ass. Not to mention Dusk is pretty powerful too.” He turned to look at the deer sisters getting ready. “Plus we’ve weakened their forces somewhat. They can handle the rest.”

******

“This Stallion is crazy.” Fern declared. She wrapped up the unconscious Dusk in vines. She managed to heal his injuries. Dusk was mumbling obscenities and rather graphic descriptions on how he took the workers down. Fern winced as she looked at one of the Stallion’s injuries. He called it a pony on a stick.

She really tried not to think about how this dying stallion beat up a group of ponies. With a fish and a large icicle. “I knew nothing good would come out of this. Associating with ponies was a bad idea.” She stared at the sphere of ice which held the pink earth pony. “There’s nothing I could do for this one.” She ran a hoof along the surface. “A life of any creature is important. Even these selfish ponies.” She sighed sadly.

“I doubt pinks is dead.” Knives appeared from behind Dusk. She smiled at the lack of reaction. “Well now. Some deer is made of sterner stuff.” She complimented. Fern didn’t regard her. Dusk’s eyes opened and looked abound widely, he groaned and slipped into unconsciousness again.

“I’m not sure how you got here so fast. But I’m aware of all that moves in this forest.” She coolly replied. “But I need you to get everypony out of here. I shall deal with Celestia’s lackeys.”

Knives ran a hoof along the middle of the sphere. It split perfectly into two and deposited Pinkie on the dead grass. “I’m not arguing with that. I should get Diane back to the guild too.” She shrugged as she placed the pony on her back.

“She’s gone. Her spirit lingers but she’s dead.”

“Not really. I’ve died a few times. And I keep coming back.” She casually replied. “With Twilight’s help she won’t remain dead. As long as I can get her there in around 2 hours.”

“You ponies dare cheat death itself?” She asked in disbelief.

“She’s a mad scientist by the way. So yeah that’s what Twilight does.” She then paused for a moment. “Huh. But how about the creatures of this forest?” Knives asked. “Octavia did this weird ritual to let us run about without being mauled. But that doesn’t extend to the workers right?” She reasoned.

Fern stared at what she referred to as the ‘drunk one’. Which to her surprise was completely sober today. “Protection does not extend to these workers. But there are more pressing matters.” She coldly answers as she followed after the Ideals.

“Hey yey yey yey. That seems irresponsible.” Knives chided. “Well leaving them to die is the equivalent of killing them. Yeah I know about your oath.” She scratched her mane as she sensed several creatures lurking around. “Not to mention whatever I kill. Is because you left.”

Fern trotted over to the earth ponie and growled. “You dare?”

“Yeah!” She cheerily replied. “So give these ponies safe passage. I wouldn’t want to kill innocent animals. They’re just protecting their home.” She sighed as she gulped down her coffee. “That would be a shame.” She gave a condescending smile.

Fern shook in rage as the mare mocked her. “I will wait until your companions arrive. Isaac and another are heading this way.” She offered as a compromise. She gazed at the direction they we’re galloping from. “Between the three of you there is enough magic to teleport to safety. That is all I’m offering.” She spoke through gritted teeth. “They will lead them. And you will leave with them.”

“We’ll be drained though. Etheric quotient and some shit add up to just enough.” She shrugged again. “Eh. Dusk would be handy but he’s not waking up anytime soon.”

“Your answer pony?”

“But you can’t fight the Ideals alone.” Knives insisted. However she felt the power radiating of the deer. She drew power from the forest. “Impressive power I guess.” She didn’t add that power wasn’t a guarantee you would win a fight.

“You should not act concerned. I fight with the wrath of the forest.” She did not boast but rather state a fact. “And your answer?”

“Well I’m boooooooooooooooooooored!” Knives whined tugging on the tassels of her coat. She then grinned. “So, no! I do what I want motherbucker!” She yelled as she galloped in the direction of the Ideals.

She gaped as she stared at the mare quickly disappear through the dense foliage of the forest. Her companions just arrived to see the scene. The fluffy white unicorn sighed. “Not again…” He huffed, both were winded, having a hard time keeping up with the mare.

******

The bodies of various creatures lay on the ground, ripped apart or frozen in ice. Mist glared at another vine that crept at her. She raised and clenched a claw, sucking the water and leaving behind a shriveled vine. Aga seemed to be terrified.

“My lady we must turn back, the forest itself is attacking us.” He fearfully suggested.

“My father demands I complete this task, I will see it through.” She tensed as she saw a few Manticores. She raised her claws and the various plant life around her withered and died. She lashed out with water blades, cutting the beasts apart.

“We risk Censure! It’s not just harm or death it’s far far worse than that!” Aga’s tail twitched and he hurled his yoyo, crushing one of the Manticore’s head.

“They are gods. By divine command we are sent to carry out this task.” She firmly replied. “That’s heresy, do you dare question Their will?”

“No my lady! I am just concerned for all of us.”

“Then you lack faith. But you will learn, in time.”

“BLOODY TARTARUS! Get em off me!” Aga flinched as he heard Rusty wail. Aga rushed over to the source of the scream. A vine lashed out and he ducked under it. A flurry of vines attempted to wrap around and managed to slip and weave through the hazards. A few shrooms let out a cloud of gas, the momentary distraction allowed the vines to seize Aga.

Mist sighed and sucked the water out of the vines. They shriveled up and dropped the dizzy monkey. She held a sphere of water and the rest of the vines backed away.

“Ghost do something!” Rusty yelled desperately.

“Well sorry Rusty, this body has hardly any magic. I can’t use my own abilities as long as I’m in a body.”

Mist and Aga followed the voices and saw Rusty Rails bound by vines and assaulted by a Sentinel Golem. A grey Pegasus stood and watched him get pummeled. “Well everything has been ignoring me for some reason. So I refuse to go out. Grass is not normal, so it can hurt me.” She reasoned. Her voice for some reason was deep and the sclera of her eyes were red.

“Enough of this.” Mist launched blades of water that cut apart the golem and vines. Rusty dropped down and groaned, only for the cut up pieces of the golem to fall on top of him. A few moments later he shoved the rocks aside with a grunt.

“You coulda helped me ya know?” He glared at the grey Pegasus. Ghost coughed and pointed to the disappointed cat. “My lady” Both of them bowed.

“Pleasure seeing you here.” Ghost gave an unsettling smile. “I’ve been trying to get information from the adventurer’s head. But instead of fighting me she walled herself in.” He tapped the side of Derpy’s head.

“If she would expend her willpower trying to fight you’d find an opening I suppose.” Mist concluded.

“Correct my lady. You’re spot on.” Derpy’s body slumped over and Ghost flew out. “Well we’re getting closer. Where is big purple and flashy boy by the way?” He curiously asked.

“Alistar is dead and Flash probably is too.” Aga reported bitterly.

“Flash had it coming, big purple however wasn’t so bad, he was purple after all.” Ghost dismissed with a shrug.

“Hey you! Stop. Look and Listen!”

“Here we go with the primitive.” Ghost rolled his eyes as the monkey berated him in his native language. Berating him about the importance of teamwork, their oath and other things. Ghost probably ignored him either way, he was in fact thankful he didn’t understand a word that came from the monkey’s mouth.

“Enough.” Mist firmly interjected. They both flinched. “We need to make way for the heart of the forest.” She turned to Ghost. “Are we near?”

The purple blob shrugged. “Yeah. But I feel something headed for us.” He looked around before shrugging again.

“The bloody Deer I’d bet. It’s ‘bout time.” Rusty cracked his neck and grinned. Ghost gave the stallion a knowing smile, in an attempt to remind him about earlier. He didn’t notice.

Mist gave a grin. “Perhaps. I wonder why the Guardians haven’t stopped us. They might be preparing for a last stand.” Her ears twitched and she frowned. She raised her paw, the water freezing into a shield. A flurry of rocks were blocked.

Aga let out his yoyo in the direction the rocks came from. A pebble hit the back of his head. He let out a snarl and launched the other yoyo from where the pebble came from. A green figure blurred and stopped inches in front of his face, the mare Knives grinned lazily. They stared dumbly as she leapt back and did a little dance.

“What?” Aga and Rusty asked in unison. Aga then noticed that his yoyos did not come back, in his hands were only long pieces of string. The monkey simply stared in shock. A large rock fell on top of him, crushing him under the weight.

“As far as last words go, that was pretty lame.” Knives commented. “And man you gotta try this coffee stuff. It apparently cures depression!” She dived behind a tree as ice blades were hurled at her. “Heh. I wonder how Diane and Angel lost to you clowns.”

Ghost rushed over and pushed over the rock. “This is gonna hurt a lot. PAIN SPLIT!” Ghost let out a screech as wounds appeared all over his head, and some of the cuts on Aga’s body closed up. He let out a sigh of relief, he barely saved the monkey. “Imma head off boss, to do the thing.” He wheezed as he sank into the ground.

“Huh, neat.” Knives chuckled.

“Rusty, could you kindly give me her head?” Mist commanded.

“You aren’t gonna get any head from me! We both have tacos!” Knives shouted back.

They all stood in awkward silence. Mist and Rusty dumbfounded by her remarks. They simply couldn’t believe they weren’t taken seriously and they had no idea on what the mare was talking about. Mist began to tremble and grind her teeth, she just about had it for today.. “HER. HEAD. NOW!” She yelled as she launched a water blade that cut down the tree Knives hid behind.

Knives peeked her head out slowly and Rusty charged her. “Nopony can take a joke these days…”

She leapt out of the way as Rusty smashed the tree trunk. Rusty pressed the attack while Mist launched water blades and icicles. She danced around, narrowly avoiding the attacks, the two pronged assault something she wasn’t used too. Eventually she got hit in the gut and tumbled. She recovered and caught an icicle with her teeth.

She leapt at Rusty and plunged the icicle into his left shoulder. He let out a cry of pain. Knives wrapped her hooves around his head, in an attempt to snap his neck. He snapped at her with his metal jaws forcing her to release him.

After a time she dived behind another tree. Mist sucked more water out of the surrounding plant life, preparing another powerful water blade. She halted her channeling as she heard a grinding sound. Behind the tree, Knives was sharpening a rock. “Wait! I need a knife!” She called out.

Mist’s eye twitched and Rusty Rails slowly crept behind a tree. Mist let out a scream of pure rage and froze a good twenty meters of the forest floor. “I’m trying to murder you, would you take this seriously!?”

“Wow me too! But surprise surprise, we’re both failing!” Knives shot back. She leapt out with a crude stone dagger in her mouth. She had a smug look on her face and mumbled something. Mist shot a small water blade, snapping the dagger. Knives spat out the rest and grumbled. “Buck this.”

Mist glared at the mare and grabbed Derpy with her magic. “Enough.” She snarled. She held an ice blade to Derpy’s throat. “Do you want to risk your comrade’s life?” Mist sneered.

“Hah! Jokes on you, we’re immoral!” Knives boasted.

Mist stared at the mare and gave a tired sigh. “I can’t simply begin to understand what is wrong with these ponies.” She muttered under her breath.

“I think she means immortal boss.” Rusty piped up, stepping from behind his cover.

“Thank you, I did not know that.” Mist snarled sarcastically.

“Yeah, that too!” She yelled. More silence for a bit.

“Do you care so little for your Guildmate?” Mist pressed the blade, drawing blood. “Stand down and I might spare you both.”

“Naw. You’d just kill me too. She’d think it would be really dumb to throw both of our lives away.” Knives pantomimed adjusting a pair of glasses and gave a ‘know-it-all look’. “Knives, your best option is too distract them until backup arrives. You’re quite the pest after all.” Knives pulled her hood back. “Eh. Not my best impression. And not the best suggestion.”

Her red aura flared and she grinned. “So plan B, bludgeon to death.”

Mist encased Derpy in ice and tossed her away, gathering more water from the surroundings. Rusty charged Knives, only to get an uppercut to the chin, shattering his metal jaw. She then kicked him, knocking him into a tree.

Knives skated on the ice, somehow avoiding the ice spikes that erupted from the ground. She kept moving because the ice floor was dangerous, all of the ice and water that Mist could manipulate. More spike went up along with patches of water freezing and unfreezing in attempt to ensnare her.

Mist was getting more and more infuriated by the moment. Eventually the ice floor began to bleed steam. Knives took the opportunity to attack. Mist launched ice projectiles and the same tactics as earlier but it seemed to be weaker. The ice projectiles breaking against Knives protective aura.

Mist was shaken and her magic wasn’t responding properly. Knives was upon her and Mist cowered, a dome of ice encasing her as a response. She poured her magic into it but it cracked under the assault of the green hooded mare. The dome shattered and she was knocked back due to the feedback.

Her magic wouldn’t work for a few moments, a precious few moments lost due to the magical feedback. A heartbeat was enough to end a fight. To turn the tide. So she lay there and waited for the end.

It didn’t come.

She slowly sat up and stared at Knives, who somehow got Derpy out of the ice. She carefully bundled up the mare in her hoodie, frowning in concern. Knives body was revealed to be covered in ugly scars and patches of pink skin. What disturbed Mist that the mare didn’t have a cutie mark. Knives caught the gaze and gave a smug smirk.

“Next time I’ll gut you. Bring your A game princess.” She then broke into a gallop, headed for the outskirts of the forest. Mist fell on her back and lay there for a time, the surrounding wildlife seemed to relent in its assault. The ice melted, then boiled along shame and rage. She promised the mare was going to regret her mercy.

Author's Note:

This chapter is a little short.

I live in the Philippines. I work a few cities away from where my parents live. And I get there via shuttle. I was laid off due to them adapting a skeletal workforce. So that means I get to write more right? Wrong. I returned to my parents house to take care of them. Going out and doing their stuff because they are quite old and I don't want them to go out. The virus probably hasn't reached my city but the one I worked in had at least one positive a few days ago. I hope it doesn't blow out of proportions.

We don't have quarantine or lock down and everyone is just going about normal. Which kinda scares because people don't seem to care. So i'll just stay here for a while. Updates as usual still though.