• Published 7th Dec 2014
  • 1,516 Views, 27 Comments

Vinyl Scratch Hates School - Zanem-Ji



But there's always one thing that makes going anywhere near the place, totally worth it.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,516

Love More Than Ya Hate.

Vinyl let out a heavy sigh as she slowly walked onto the school’s grounds.

School…

Gods, she hated the place with a burning passion. She was a frickin’ DJ, and a famous one at that!! She was loved the world over for her amazing beats that poured through the speakers she used. She should be out being loved by her fans, and giving them the bass filled songs that they craved. She looked around at the rows upon rows of lockers that lined the walls. Students were reaching into them, laughing and conversing with one another. Some stopped when they realized just who was walking through their halls. Their whispers of shock and awe put the tiniest of smiles on her face. She shook her head and got back into her focused disposition. The alabaster DJ then pinched the bridge of her nose with rising irritation. The students were loud. Granted, they weren't as loud as the thousands of fans that came to her concerts, but this was a different type of loud. The type of loud that made your teeth grind and your blood bubble a little. One of the students bumped into her,

“Oh geez!! I’m sorry ma’am!! I didn’t see you!!” the young Earth Pony apologized before quickly scrambling off to wherever he needed to go. Vinyl lightly shook her head and continued on with her little trek. She rounded a corner that led down on of the many halls throughout the school. There were now doors that led to various rooms on each side of her. Behind her violet colored lenses, Vinyl’s eyes scanned the placards on the doors. Janitor, Gym, Mares’ Restroom, Stallions’ Restrooms, Principal’s Office-

PRINCIPAL’S OFFICE.

Vinyl cringed. Hard. She already hated school, but the hate she had for the principal’s office was on a completely different level. Everytime she had ended up here, it was NEVER for a good reason. After School Detention, Failing-Academic Intervention, In School Suspension, Out Of School Suspension, if it was anything that ended with ‘tion’ or ‘sion’, she got it. Luckily, she wasn’t heading there for today. However, this still didn’t deter her feelings.

She. Hated. School.

Perhaps it was all the stupid colts. No matter how old they got, they always acted like immature foals. Or, maybe, it was the mares that spread drama like wildfire. She eyeballed a clique that was chattering, giggling, and pointing at a pony that looked, to say the least, quite an oddball. She rolled her eyes.

Typical.

A smell that reeked of absolute B.O slammed into her nasal cavities, making her gag. Good gods, what was that smell? She looked through watery eyes to see that the gym’s male locker rooms had been swung wide open, as a couple of smelly hoofball players trotted inside. Why not just put the damn things near the actual gym, so that they didn’t have to stink up the whole hallways? She picked up the pace a little in order to get away from the horrid smell, and made her way down yet another hall way. This time, a different scent hit her nostrils. Now, Vinyl was nowhere near sophisticated as Octavia, but she could tell what was some 'by product' and 'barely edible on the taste scale' food when she smelled it. That could only mean one thing;

She was near the cafeteria.

She peered through one of the door’s windows and looked inside. Chaotic and loud. Again, she loved those kinds of thing when she was say, tearing up the turn tables at a dance club, or she was doing the reverse role and tearing up the dance floor with her mad dancing skills. But here…not so much. Not for this environment. She trotted away from the glass and carried on. She walked for another five minutes before she froze in mid-step.

“...What the hell?...”

She had ended up staring at the doors that led to the gym. Again.

Was she going in circles? Was that even physically possible? The school looked rectangular on the outside…

She rubbed her temples then started a quick pace. She had to get out of here, or at least find a way out of this strange loop hole of a hallway. Maybe she should just ask for help…

‘I bet you won’t last 30 minutes there!!’

Her ears folded against her head as Octavia’s insulting statement echoed in her ears. She couldn’t, AND WOULDN’T, allow herself to prove that prissy Earth Pony wife of hers right. She was going to make her way through this little ordeal, with ease. She took a few calming breaths and looked around. There had to be a way out of this confusion, and she was going to find it, or her name wasn’t Vinyl Scratch!

With newly found determination, she continued her trot through the hallway. She passed the same restrooms and the (shudder) Principal’s Office. She came to another break in the hallway that led in three different directions. She looked down each hallway. Each were lined wall to wall with those same, dark blue lockers. And each of the hallways stretched on into the infinite.

“Seriously? The school isn’t even that damn big on the outside…”

After she finished grumbling, she chose to go straight this time. Now, there shouldn’t be anyway that she’d end up at the gym and dreaded Principal’s Office again. This place was defying physics in a way that would put her friend Pinkie to shame. She smiled a little at the thought, as she walked past the music room. She stopped and back pedaled, stopping once she could see inside the room. A Pegasus student was gracefully playing a guitar. His hooves danced across the strings as he and his instrument became one. She couldn’t help but smile, the kid had skills. She continued on. She loved the music room, for it was a place where she and Tavi could be true to themselves. Nopony knew that Vinyl was actually quite the Beethoofven when it came to piano except for her wife (and she intended to keep it that way). Still, as much as she liked to see somepony play out their deepest desires and passion on their instrument, it still could not match the hatred she had for this place. She looked around, and she saw something that made her eyes sparkle behind her shades.

A door that had trees and a blue sky on the other side of it's tiny window! A door that led back OUTSIDE!!

She smiled and made a mad gallop for it. She burst through the doors and took in a big whiff of the fresh air. She was glad to be out of that physics-defying place that was called an educational institution. She enjoyed the victory of her survival, but it didn’t last long when she came to a horrifying realization;

She hadn't completed what she was supposed to do. She’d have to go back inside.

Her ears drooped, and her head dropped, as she slowly made her way back towards the doors. She dreaded going back in, but she had a point to prove to Tavi, and she was still Not. Going. To. Back. Down. Just as she pushed the door open to make her way in, an orange Pegasus filly slammed into her other foreleg. The filly hit the ground with a little thud and rubbed her head.

“Ow…” she mumbled, as she looked up to see who or what she had collided into. Her lavender irises lit up as Vinyl smiled down at her,

“Mom!!”

She hovered in the air and wrapped her forelegs around the Unicorn’s neck.

“Heya, Scootaloo! I’ve been looking all over the place for you.”

Scootaloo rubbed the back of her neck, “Yeah, well…I got a little distracted. That’s why I wasn’t upfront when the bell rang. Sorry, Mom.”

Vinyl patted the filly’s head, “It’s all good, kiddo.”

“So, are you staying here tonight? When’s your next big gig?”

“I have a couple of shows up in Canterlot next weekend. But other than that, I’ll be here through this weekend, all the way to Friday morning.”

Scootaloo leapt into the air, “Yes! I missed you like, a lot! I mean, Mother’s really sweet and all…but she’s kind of strict…”

“Tavi just wants you to get good grades in school, that’s all.” Vinyl replied. “It’s what we both want.”

“Yeah, but still, you’re the cool Mom.”

The alabaster Unicorn chuckled, “Be glad Tavi didn’t hear you say that, or she’d have both of our heads.” She looked down at the filly trotting beside her, “So tell me, how’s school been treating you? Gimme the details.”

Scootaloo took a big gulp of air and immediately flew into a flurry of stories to tell her. Vinyl grinned as she listened to her adopted daughter’s excited rambling. She may have hated school with a burning passion,

But her love of being the mother of this wonderful little filly, was far more powerful than her hate.

Author's Note:

A one shot with a touch of fluff!! Yay!!

Comments ( 27 )

I was not expecting this.
Short and Sweet fic, i enjoy it.
Have a up-vote ^^

5360690 Gracias, my friend! Any kind of love is appreciated! (No pun on your Chrysalis Pic. Lol)

5360725 you did it again. in other words you completely surprised me :wink:

5371586 I'm just as surprised that there's no down votes yet. But I remain hopeful, that I'll at least get to 50 before I get one hater.

Comment posted by jszellmer deleted Dec 13th, 2014

5376316 The ONLY reason I'm going to delete your comment, is because I don't want anyone to have ANY clue on why she's going there. That also includes process of elimination of guesses. I don't want you to be offended .

5376855 Not a problem. I understand completely. :twilightsmile:

You got your fifty!:rainbowdetermined2:

Comment posted by Phil Ken Sebben deleted Jan 19th, 2015
Comment posted by Zanem-Ji deleted Jan 19th, 2015
Comment posted by Phil Ken Sebben deleted Jan 19th, 2015
Comment posted by Zanem-Ji deleted Jan 19th, 2015

I was not expecting that, at all.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Finished reviewing story for the library: accepting. This was just too adorable, and was done just right.

Detailed decision is here.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

A more cleverly misleading title I've not seen. I'm still not quite sure what it was I just read. :)

5739988 I'm not sure if your comment's a good one or a bad one. The smiley face lures me into some kind of security, so...I'm going to say 'Thank You!' :twilightsmile:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

5754791
I liked it, so you're good. :)

I think that the last two sentences should be in one paragraph, rather than split between two; it's a bit awkward to read as it currently is.
Other than that, me likey. A bit predictable, but sometimes predictable is good, especially when you want to relax and just enjoy a cute little story. And it's well written.

I have written a review of this story; it can be found here.

Is this a sequel to someone else's story, or something?
Other than that, this was a fun little read.

This was an interesting read but I love the ending. Vinyl and Tavi being the adoptive parents of Scootaloo is something I never expected. Liked and faved.

A nice story! Very relaxing to read because the pacing is quite slow. You can really make a vivid picture of the school because you engage all the senses and lots of direct and indirect thought from Vinyl and the (rather direct and cool) narrator.

I also liked the surprising fact that you made Scootaloo their adopted child; it really fits, if you ask me.

And you gave a small hint at the reason Vinyl was in school (with that Tavi quote), but still you kept it a surprise (I thought it was all just a dream :derpytongue2:), which made the story interesting.

A small learning-point could be your spelling. Take a look at the following sentences:

She rounded a corner that led down on of the many halls throughout the school.

she loved those kinds of thing when she was say, tearing up the turn tables at a dance club,

I mean, Mother’s really sweet and all…but she’s kind of strict…”

“Yeah, but still, you’re the cool Mom.”

“Tavi just wants you to get good grades in school, that’s all.” Vinyl replied. “It’s what we both want.”

Keep on writing! :twilightsmile:

I can see where Vinyl was coming from, and I found her narration somewhat entertaining. But, I thought this story was a little bit too forward. :twilightsheepish: Usually, I like those stories too, but I feel like there isn't anything too interesting about her entering high school. That isn't to say that it isn't bad though, since that's the only major problem I had with it. :scootangel:

Login or register to comment