• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 8,551 Views, 310 Comments

Standing the Heat - gcsmith



Winter has been wrapped up and spring has come, the heat along with it. When a human laughs at the ponies trying to cope with the heat, he soon finds himself with more to deal with than he had bargained for.

Comments ( 26 )

Excellent work

"Well, it's a good thing you're not the element of honesty," sighed Applejack, shaking her head.

So is Applejack a magic lie detector in this like fandom tends to do? If so why is Pinkie the one to determine if it's a lie. Her being in charge of the bet isn't a valid excuse. Also why isn't Twilight's words enough as confirmation. Wasn't aware they figured she could be lying to protect him. I figured they would think she still wants to win. Not to mention even if she was what could have pinkie done to force her to change him when she is the only one capable of doing so and if she doesn't want to tough shit.

"Not a chance," Fluttershy pushed him forwards towards Twilight. "After this last week, I think we all deserve to see how this ends."

Nope. Just nope. Can't the two simply get privacy.

"I just have one condition," Twilight said after getting her breath back.

Wouldn't that be a no no because of the bet? Also too late you already said yes, Twily. You can't say yes and be like under a condition afterwards it has to be before you give your answer. That's not how it works.

Aww i was hoping Richard would join his marefriend and their friends to Starlight's Village and he sees what happens to Twilight and her friends and something primal but magical happens to him that the second half of "the cutie remark" never happens because he either scares Starlight so badly she flees in terror or Richard does something to her either break her horn at the base of her skull which hurts her really badly, she loses her magic forever and is also terrified of him or he puts her in traction and in the words of Spitefire "breathing through a straw" as well as being terrified of Richard

11259488
The penultimate chapter is up

11266002
First. twlight pinky promise that it's the truth if it's a lie well. Pinkie will know

11266277
Um... That's not one of the things I asked.

11266002
Applejack isn't a magical lie detector, it's just Rarity sucks at lying here.

Also, Twilight can put conditions on the date, because Richard just used his win to get to ask her out, specifically so she could say no if she wanted.

11266340
First answer, fair enough, though they should have taken Twilight at her word. As for the second, you are ignoring one of my points. She should have made that condition before she answered not afterwards. You can't answer then afterwards be like well if you whatever. The negotiating of terms happens beforehand not afterwards. That's proper and fair.

11266351
To be fair, it's a very emotional situation. And Twilight wants to plan the date so she can treat Richard.

11266359
To be fair that doesn't answer the minor issue. Dude just admit you made a minor mistake. It's not that big of a deal but you trying to justify it is slowly turning it into one when it's not necessary.

11266361
Look man. Twilight and Richard didn't sign a freaking contract detailing out exactly how it all goes. They're two friends who made a bet. If Richard argued the fact, maybe there would be an issue here. His confusion I'm sure is only related to the fact that here in our world it seems it's usually the guy that plans the date. There is no problem with Twilight planning it and Richard doesn't care. There is no minor issue. You are the one making this a big thing that it's not.

11266970
It's common curtesy to lay out all conditions before deciding. You wouldn't want someone to say yes then seconds later after agreeing start laying out conditions would you? This has nothing to do with the bet or any fictious contract. It's about poor writing involving Twily agreeing to something then being like under these conditions I will do something I already agreed too. The order is opposite of how it should be done. If you want to write my issue off as being nonexistent the very least you could do is actually understand it.

I was really looking forward to the transformation oh well

11267002
Again this is a BET AMONG FRIENDS. Hate to break it to you, but that doesn't always happen when two friends make a bet.

Twilight was likely rather surprised the 'prize' was just a date. So she decided she wanted to treat him a bit and laid down the condition that she gets to plan it. Being they are basically in a budding relationship and TRUST each other, there was no need to get all business like with it.

What you are arguing is that it should be treated as a contract, and the fine terms need to be followed to the fine print. There is no fine print. It was a friendly wager between two friends turning something more. She decided to lay down a condition, and Richard decided "Sure"

From my standpoint, I understand your point perfectly. I feel instead you fail to understand how friends/possible lovers may interact with each other.

You are literally the only one who cares about this man. Let it go. Everyone else is fine with it.

11267031
I'm ashamed to admit, I was really only tracking/following this story because I enjoy genderbending fun and was hoping for mare Richard. ^^;

11267075
Instead of several paragraphs you could simply say I either don't understand your point or I am ignoring it since I have no counter to what it actually is and I am straw manning you.

This isn't about the fucking bet or some nonsense fictious contract. Twilight should have made the condition before she agreed. The story should have been written with her making it then once Richard agrees to it then she says yes. That's it plain and simple!

I haven't let it go since you misrepresented my position and I had to clarify twice now! I make a simple point and you misrepresent it then when I clarify you repeat your misrepresentation and be like let it go. :ajbemused: It's a minor nitpick and I would have moved on if you haven't misrepresented my position. I am done talking about it regardless if you keep misrepresenting it or not.

11267079
Okay help me understand. From what I get. You are upset that Twilight didn't state the condition the moment she agreed to the prize being a date. That is what I'm getting. That is what I am hearing you say. You are pissed because she waited a bit then said "Oh yeah I have a condition"

-I- am saying that they are friends/ possible lovers, and she decided later to add a condition THAT RICHARD IS PERFECTLY FINE WITH.

Am I getting it right? Because I'm sorry man, I don't agree with your complaint. This is a cute moment between two people who like and respect each other. If Richard took issue with her just dropping that condition like that, then sure. I'd agree with you that it's an issue.

But it's not. To YOU it is. YOU. YOU have the issue. If you were in this position it'd piss you off I get it. But Richard and Twilight DON'T CARE.

So why do you?

If It makes you feel any better you’re arguing with a person who has autism and ADHD so congratulations you just wasted your energy

Jesus Christ I was only looking for a transformation not a mental one I’m a fan of transformations it’s just a story it’s not real there’s no point in arguing over it

11267176
Is this a reply to me? Your last two comments don't appear directed to anyone.

If so, yeah you're right. I'm pretty sure the guy blocked me. So all I'll say is this:

For the rest of you. Please understand that the author simply CAN NOT please all of you. When you write something, there is always going to be someone who doesn't enjoy it no matter what you do.

That is NOT the author's fault. That's just your own personal preference. They don't have to cater to YOU in particular.

In this case, I don't think the author made a mistake. He stated that Twilight was in an emotional state after Richard declared he wanted to take her on a date as the prize. So she wasn't thinking about laying out the conditions before she accepted. Then later she decides she wants to treat Richard and decides to say she has a condition.

For whatever reason this set that guy off, and to be fair. It's fine if you don't like the story because of it. It's fine if you don't feel something should be written that way, but please understand. People do not and likely WILL NOT agree with you.

I for one don't. I feel it'd be a mistake if the author went back and changed it so she gave the condition first, because that cheapens just how overwhelmed Twilight was feeling in that moment. At least to me. If the author so chose to change it, I'd tell him I think he's making a mistake, but holy hell I wouldn't phrase it like: "Dude just admit you fucked up right there" That's rude and entitled as all hell.

When writing the best way to deal with those people is to just not respond. Something I should have done, but I foolishly thought I could get someone to see reason. I'm still an idiot.

I don’t care if he gets transformed or not I still like the story I just thought he was gonna get transformed

11259488
Hey TwiD would love to know your thoughts of latest chapter

11269713
It was everything I hoped for, a great build up to that as well. This story definitely up there to me in that list of favorites thinking about where we come from.
I'm really interested to see the rest now, and hopefully with a nice steamy part as well in the end? Even in a time-skip way into the future, if you think it's too soon for them, I would be happy with that.

I know that it can happen sometimes with real life getting in the way, etc. , but I really hope this story isn't going to " end" like this after making it this far. Would be so hard for me to take, because I really loved this one from the very start.

Really hope you are alright gcsmith and hopefully you will be able to continue this soon. :)

11586967
Last chapter is still in progress... well, 'last' but still. Life isn't easiest right now with work and living with parents again.

11587148
That you for this update gcsmith, while it isn't 100% what I was hoping, knowing you are here and working on it is great to hear.
I'm really looking forward when the time comes to see what's going to happen next that's for sure! :) :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment