• Published 8th Aug 2014
  • 2,148 Views, 45 Comments

The Equestrian Venture - TheCrimsonDM



when a young human mage creates a portal leading to the pony filled world of Equestria trouble ensues.

  • ...
10
 45
 2,148

PreviousChapters
Epilogue: Past and Future Secrets

The Equestrian Venture

Epilogue: Past and Future Secrets

Written by TheCrimsonDM

Morning, the smell of dust and fresh rain filtered through Rita’s world. The warm fury body lying behind her snuggled a little closer, the blanket was drawn tightly over her. Rita rolled over, the bed made a squeaking noise, and she wrapped her arms around the bundle of pink fur next to her.

Pinkie looked back at Rita with tired blue eyes and smiled.

“Morning,” Rita said.

“Morning,” Pinkie replied.

Rita moved in and kissed Pinkie’s cheek gently. The fur tickled her nose. Pinkie rolled over and laid a foreleg across Rita’s waists, and leaned her head in towards Rita’s. Rita didn’t pull away, after how long they’d been living together; her fear of the pink pony had completely vanished. Rita pressed forward and their lips met.

For a long moment Rita and Pinkie stayed together underneath the warm blanket, holding each other and lightly kissing. Eventually the dawn’s rays peaked through the blinds on her upstairs room and lit up the refurnished windmill. After the rain last night, it promised to be yet another beautiful morning.

Rita rolled out of bed, and looked around the hardwood floor searching for her clothes. Sure she could run around naked all day, and nopony would question it, she actually tested that out a few weeks back just to see what her pony friends would do. They hardly even noticed. She actually preferred to wear her clothes out of habit, and the left over shame of the scars covering her small frame. Getting dressed in some sweat pants and a long red shirt that went down to her knees with sleeves that swallowed her hands, she looked back at Pinkie and gave the pony a sly wink.

Surprisingly the pink pony could still blush, and when she did Rita grinned. Oh yeah, I’m the king baby.

“You wanna make breakfast for us while I finish the touches on my last piece of armor?” Rita asked.

Pinkie smiled. “Pancakes or waffles?”

“Either is fine with me, your cooking is always the best after all,” Rita said honestly. She hopped to and found a few socks lying around. She quickly tugged them on, and then frowned. They didn’t conform to her feet, and she let out a frustrated grunt as she yanked them off. “Pinkie, where are my socks? All I’m finding are yours.”

Pinkie shrugged. “You were kinda in a hurry last night, maybe you left them downstairs?”

Last night had been a bit more wild than she had originally planned. Rita remembered the cake vodka that Pinkie brought home, and shivered a little as she remembered how imposing the stairs had become, but she beamed when she remembered how enticing the bed looked.

Yeah, last night was insane. Awesome and insane.

Rita went downstairs, her socks weren’t there and she gave up on finding them. Barefoot she quickly snuck into the basement, she had to fumble with the key to it for a moment but when she figured it out she opened it. Downstairs she found a manikin that she had constructed out of scrap metal, it was vaguely human shape. Two metal boots with various gems built into were attached on its feet, and two gauntlets of similar construction were there as well. Finally there was a pair of goggles with a few small gems along the sides, and runes etched into its brown leather straps.

She took the goggles off and put them on, she pushed one of the small gems on the side, and the dark room was suddenly lit up in her vision by a light blue light. She took the goggles off and the room returned to darkness. She decided to keep them on for now. She examined the manikin and pressed another button, the word manikin appeared above it written in equish.

“Awesome,” Rita said to herself. “These things are working just fine. The ability to see in the dark, and to scan and register objects. I can’t believe that I didn’t make a pair of these sooner.”

“Rita, foods ready!” Pinkie called from the top of the stairs.

Rita slid the goggles up and onto her forehead, but she didn’t put them back onto the manikin. Her months of work did not go to waste on this. The only thing missing was a leather duster jacket. Rita trotted up the stairs and paused only momentarily to look at the necklace around the manikins neck. It had been so long since she’d actually needed to wear the translator device, if it wasn’t for her selfishness, Rita would’ve given it back to Twilight already.

Upstairs, Rita locked the door behind her and sat at the table. To her surprise she saw Celestia sitting there with a smile across her giant head. Rita smiled back at her.

“What do we owe the pleasure,” Rita asked.

Celestia nodded slightly. “I came by to give you a quest.”

Rita raised an eyebrow at that. A quest from the princess was a serious thing, so whatever it was it should pay off in good loot. It’d been awhile since Rita’s last chance at obtaining some sweet new toys so she was certainly interested.

“What’s up?” Rita sat down, and was quickly offered a plate of waffles.

Pinkie pushed a big plate of waffles toward Celestia as well before sitting down next to Rita. Celestia smiled and said, “It’s a simple one. There is an old cave by the Ghastly Gulch, and inside are some ancient ruins. I could use somepony like you, to go and inspect them, make sure their safe.”

Rita nodded. “That sounds easy enough. I could get a small crew together and explore it easily enough.”

“You’ve been here for almost half a year,” Celestia said kindly. “The things you’ve given to our culture have been incredible to say the least.”

“Well your world was behind on technology, I figure so long as it’s not a weapon I can give it to you guys,” Rita said.

“And if I were to request such a weapon,” Celestia asked, there was something hidden in her tone, but Rita couldn’t exactly figure out what it was.

Rita was however, a little upset to hear those words from Celestia. Rita looked up and stared into the princesses eyes. “I’d have to say no. Your world is peaceful, it doesn’t need the tools of war.”

Celestia smiled. “That’s what I was hoping to hear.”
“Good,” Rita replied.

“Um,” Pinkie Pie stepped in. “Will it be dangerous?”

Celestia shook her head. “I do not know. What I do know is that it’s a sacred place that has not been seen in many years, protective spells have kept it safe from the ravages of time. If something is dangerous, I’m sure that Rita can handle herself.”

Celestia was quiet a moment before adding, “Anything you find in there belongs to you, Rita.”

“I’d planned to take some good loot either way,” Rita stated. “That’s part of the price of hiring me after all.”

Celestia frowned. “Yes, your contract was a bit… difficult to work with at first. But at least you are willing to negotiate with me on what is or isn’t okay to take.”

Rita leaned back on her chair. “How long do I have to complete the mission?”

“You can do it at your own leisure. But I feel that you may wish to see to this sooner rather than later,” Celestia said.

“Okay, tell you what. I’ll get a crew together today, and we will head out if at all possible. I know just the unicorn to drag along, if you don’t mind that is,” Rita said.

“Oh?” Celestia inquired.

“Yeah, I could use the local expert on ancient ruins, well the one who isn’t going to get pissed off that I’m looting the place,” Rita said. “I’ll need Trixie.”

***

The small house that Rita stood at was blue with white stars painted along the sides. A small vegetable garden was growing outside and a giant tree loomed over the house with dark green leaves. All in all, Trixie’s house didn’t look too shabby. Rita knocked on the door.

A moment later the door swung open revealing the unicorn, she was already dressed up in her magicians cloak and hat. She smiled at Rita and stepped out with a saddlebag worn on her back.

“So you needed the great and powerful Trixie. It’s only expected that you would seek out the best unicorn in the village to help you out,” Trixie said.

“Yeah, but she was busy, so I came to get you instead,” Rita joked.

Trixie scoffed at the statement.

“Anyway, I see you’re already ready to go. Are you sure that you can handle this?” Rita asked.

“After Celestia told Trixie that you were in need of Trixie’s expertise, it was no problem at all to get ready. Trixie however has one request,” Trixie said.

“Oh, what is it?”

A yellow head poked out from inside the doorway, pink hair falling in front of the mare’s face. “Hi, Rita.”

“Trixie requests that we take her along. Fluttershy has proven herself to be a most adequate friend and assistant,” Trixie said proudly. After a second her eyes narrowed on Rita. “You must keep this a secret though. Fluttershy does not need her friends causing a fuss over being Trixie’s friend.”

Rita looked at Fluttershy, Fluttershy avoided her gaze. With a hand on her hip, Rita let out a sigh. “Okay, you can join us Fluttershy. But it might be dangerous, so… please be careful.”

Fluttershy nodded but remained silent.

“An adventure with Trixie and Fluttershy,” Rita said to herself. “This sounds promising.”

***

The trek took a couple of hours, and by the time they finally reached the gorge they had to rest. After a short break, and a snack they made their decent. It was easy enough for Rita to stick close to the wall, and Fluttershy simply flew next to them, but Trixie had a harder time getting down with her bum leg. After reaching a small plateau they were met with a large cave entrance that declined at a steep angle. There was also a small signpost sticking out of the ground. Despite being worn from age and exposure it was still legible.

These caves are blocked to the public. No entry without Princess Celestia’s personal permission.”

Rita smiled. Man I wish I had known about this place sooner. I would have totally snuck in.

Fluttershy landed next to Rita and gulped. “I-i-is it safe?”

“Trixie is sure that it’s safe enough. Do not worry shy one, you have both the great and powerful Trixie, and the awesome might of Rita to protect you. There should be no worry,” Trixie said.

Fluttershy nodded.

Rita was the first one to step into the cave. The air practically crackled with energy inside. Glowing gems grew from the walls and strange mushrooms cast light enough for them to see by. Just in case Rita brought her goggles down and waited for the moment that she would need to use them.

The trio continued onward, and as they did the magical energies increased. For Rita the energy was like a rush of pure unrestricted power, she felt like she could take on the whole world and win. Trixie seemed be moving with a bounce in her step as well. Fluttershy on the other hoof was looking around nervously, her ears twitching every so often.

Minutes turned by quickly, and the trip didn’t seem so long. When the trio exited the tunnel and entered a large cavernous area something struck Rita as she felt very awkward. A bright yellow miniature sun floated in the center of the room near the ceiling, lighting up the entire area. An old warehouse stood in the center of the area surrounded by a field of green luscious grass spread out covering the ground.

This entire area was an artificial environment. Not only had Rita seen this place before, she had been here, many, many times. Without warning Rita strode forward, nearly taking off into a run. Behind her Trixie and Fluttershy followed.

“What is this place?” Trixie asked.

“It’s so pretty,” Fluttershy stated.

Rita stared with hard determined eyes at the warehouse as they approached. “It’s an artificial environment created to survive any hardships. This is only a miniature version of it though. Like a testing chamber, though after the project was finished, I took over ownership of it.”

“That’s… wait what?” Trixie asked.

Upon reaching the warehouse door, Rita noticed the old rusted lock. With the blunt end of her dagger she snapped the lock off and pushed the door open. It moved slowly, and screeched with the strain of moving for the first time in who knows how long. When it was finally opened Rita walked in and her nose was assaulted by the scent of oil, dust, and rusted metal.

She reached over to her side and flipped a switch on the wall to her side and the hum of ancient generators turning filled the air. The lights overhead flickered, some of them exploded, but the remainder lit up the workshop decently enough. Rita looked past the tables of junk, the humanoid shaped exoskeletons and the giant generator. Her eyes focused primarily on the metal ring laying against the wall, almost every single gem had been removed from it, leaving empty slots like pockmarks upon its ancient surface.

Rita walked towards it, her mind blank, her heart frozen and her lungs empty of air. An old stained piece of paper sat on the table. The portrait of her and all her dead friends that rested on top of it caught her attention. Rita picked up the portrait, and heard the gasps from her friends.

She inhaled deeply, and exhaled a shaky breath. She set the portrait up right, and frowned. The page was ancient but she could still make out what it said. With gentle fingers she picked it up and read the arcadian words aloud.

“Dear Rita.





I’ve commissioned the Ark to be built for our survival. Between people turning into rainbows, dying from the disease, and this project; I’m… I’m scared Rita. Without you by my side to give me your support I’m just so scared.

I’m sorry that I pushed you away like I did. I should have known how you felt about me, and I should have been nicer to you about your feelings. If I could go back in time and change what happened, I would have handled myself differently. If by some chance you ever read this my dearest friend. Please forgive me for my mistakes, for my sins.

I’m going to initiate the plan to save our world tomorrow. If I somehow change to where you don’t recognize me, or if I lose my memories of you, please just remember how good things were when we were together.

You closest and dearest friend, Princess Estella.”

Tears streamed down Rita’s face. She clutched the letter closely to her chest and stood in complete silence for the longest time. When she did finally look behind her she saw both Trixie and Fluttershy staring at her, concern covered their faces.

Rita looked once more at her portal, the one that she had made to travel between worlds. The rusted metal stood silent, dead, and forgotten; just as she should have been.

“And all I wanted to do was go back to my own world,” Rita said. It was humorous in a way, and utterly shattering in another. “Guess I got my wish huh? I accidently created a time machine, an unstable and probably very dangerous time machine.”

“Rita…” Fluttershy said quietly.

“I don’t understand at all?” Trixie complained. “If… if humans really existed in the past, then where are all the humans at?”

“We’re right here,” A tired, old and very gentle voice said from behind the three of them.

Rita spun around and stared at Celestia in shock for a moment, and then anger flared as she realized that Celestia had known about this the whole time. Rita stomped her foot into the ground and pointed a finger at the princess. “YOU KNEW!”

“I’m sorry. Rita... could you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?” Celestia asked.

Rita looked back at the portal. “You… ugh, I don’t know. It’s just so hard for me to wrap my brain around this. Maybe I can forgive you for keeping secrets… eventually.”

“Not for that, Rita,” Celestia said. Rita looked back at her and Celestia’s eyes softened and she frowned. “Can you ever forgive me for what I did to you?”

Rita stared in silence at her. Slowly gears began to turn, and something horrible began to emerge in her head. When Trixie had asked where the humans had gone, Celestia replied with, ‘we are right here.’ The implication made her flinch. “No… No, NO! You can’t be…”

She shook her head slowly, and looked once more into those soft purple eyes of Celetia’s. That look she gave her was so familiar, and the color of her hair was perfect. The kindness, friendship, and jokes that they had shared were things Rita had remembered so well, but could never place. Finally Rita recalled how Celestia had looked at her, and how she had acted the first time they had met… it was like Celestia had already known her… Rita slumped against the table.

Celestia lowered her head. “I didn’t think you would.”

“Estella?” Rita asked.

Celestia smiled and looked up at Rita. “Yes?”

Rita’s legs lost all their strength and she fell to her hands and knees. Her body shook horribly and her mind was petrified with the realization of what was going on. “But you’ve been so nice to me, and we have had so much fun together. It… it was just like…”

“Old times?” Celestia finished for her.

“Yeah…” Rita muttered lamely. She looked back up at Celestia. She’s been holding all that guilt for over a thousand years… guilt over breaking my heart…

Rita pushed herself up and marched toward Celestia. Fluttershy ducked back, and Trixie stared in disbelief. On her approach Celestia looked away.

“You shattered my heart when I was at my weakest. It took me jumping who knows how far into the future, and a group of magical talking ponies to mend the damage you did. And now you have the audacity to ask me to forgive you?” Rita stated.

Celestia shrunk back.

Rita wrapped her arms around Celestia’s neck and hugged her oldest friend tightly. “Of course I’ll forgive you. Even after all I’ve been through, even if you are a giant magical horse, I still l-… I love you. I’m with Pinkie Pie now, but that doesn’t change how I feel about you. Nothing ever will.”

Celestia met Rita’s eyes and for a moment they simply stared deeply into each other’s gaze. Celestia smiled. “Thank you.”

“No problem,” Rita said.

The End.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 3 )

This doesn't feel right. I'm trying to figure out why but the ending feels abrupt and this whole chapter makes me feel like it was done just to get the story done and revolve old plot threads that people had guessed at earlier.

6567746 probably it feels that way because I had no understanding of how to properly introduce and use threads in a story when I was actively working on this. By this point in time, I've realized that I really just wanted to write about the character 'Rita' and kinda shoved her into the ponyverse without much thought into what I was actually doing. There were a lot of cool idea's that I had, but a lot of mistakes were made in the process. Since it's one of my oldest stories, the mistakes are made more evident as I attempted to fix them later on. If there is ever a sequel it will be better and I'll be sure to grab an editor for it before hand. The same will be said if I end up doing a complete and total rewrite to the story, to make it fit more with the universe I actually pulled Rita from.

Before I do any of that though, I really need to finish writing Rita's story, the one that has absolutely no connections to the Ponyverse

I'm right when I say that character is based on Rita from tales of vesperia right?

Login or register to comment