• Published 8th Aug 2014
  • 2,149 Views, 45 Comments

The Equestrian Venture - TheCrimsonDM



when a young human mage creates a portal leading to the pony filled world of Equestria trouble ensues.

  • ...
10
 45
 2,149

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter four: such a rarity

THE EQUSTRIAN VENTURE
Chapter four: such a rarity
Written by TheCrimsonDM


Rita was running across a fog covered field as fast as her injured leg would allow her. Her armor was beaten, and covered in blood stains. Gunshots and explosions sounded behind her as the ferocious battle raged on. She had to escape, the retreat had been signaled. She continued running through the muddy field when suddenly a soldier stood up from the mud ahead of her. The soldier was wearing a blue uniform, he was the enemy.

The soldier had his riffle pointed at Rita, she didn’t have time to react as he pulled the trigger. Time slowed down to a halt as the bullet flew towards her at a crawling pace. The round impacted on her chest, going straight through her armor. She felt the round exit out her back and then she fell to the ground. Gasping and struggling for air as she lay their dying. It was over for her. She closed her eyes and decided to let the void take her.

***

Rita woke up in a soft bed covered in sweat. She franticly patted her chest searching for the wound and found no injury. She found it odd that she was still wearing her favorite jacket. Why did she fall asleep wearing it, and where was she? Looking around the room she noticed that she was actually sitting in a small wooden bedroom with pink walls. There was a window next to the bed. Rita stood up, her knee tensed up and pained a little as she walked to the window.

She found a nice view overlooking the town below her from the window. The morning sun was shining down brightly across the happy little village. Rita stared out the window for a few moments wondering, ‘where in the world am I.’ It wasn’t until after seeing a flying blue pony with a rainbow colored mane flying around in the distance, that Rita realized that she wasn’t in her world anymore.

This was the first time it had hit her so hard, the fact that she really was stuck inside of another world began to finally sink in. This new world one filled with talking ponies, was a world without humans. She felt alone and scared. All she wanted to do was go home. Feelings of remorse began to pull at her heart, and Rita felt tears running down her eyes.

The sound of hoofs clopping against the wooden floor began were quickly approaching the bedroom door. Rita wiped the tears away and turned to face the door adopting a defensive sneer. She knew that she couldn’t pull off a fake smile, but she could use all the anger inside of her as a mask to hide her fears from anyone she didn’t trust.

The bedroom door opened a crack with a yellow muzzle poked a few inches inside. Fluttershy then asked. “Um…may I come in?”

Rita felt a little easier knowing that it was Fluttershy at the door. Rita replied flatly. “Yeah, come in.”

As Fluttershy entered the room Rita turned and faced the window saying. “I can’t believe it. I’m really stuck inside another world…what am I supposed to do now?”

Fluttershy was quiet for a moment but she finally said. “You can stay here with me, as long as you need to.”

Rita looked back at the kind yellow pony. Her kindness was far too much for Rita. Fluttershy looked at Rita with her big blue caring eye’s, something in them told Rita that she could trust Fluttershy implicitly. Rita could no longer hide her fear, her anger, her sorrow, and her pain. Falling onto her knees Rita broke down sobbing and saying. “I just wanna go home.”

Fluttershy approached carefully, and wrapped her wings around Rita pulling her into a gentle embrace and whispered. “I know you do.” Fluttershy simply held Rita like this for awhile allowing Rita to cry all of her emotions out onto her withers.

When Rita finally got done she felt hollow and empty inside. She shook a little bit underneath Fluttershy’s wings. She couldn’t just sit here doing nothing, if she did then she may never want to move again. There had to be a way home, and she would find it. Right now she prioritized arming herself for safety reasons, so gems and a mirror were her top priority.

Pushing herself out of Fluttershy’s gentle embrace Rita stood up and looked at her gauntlet. It offered no protection at the moment; it was the bare skeleton of what she was creating. Rita sighed at the task ahead of her. She clenched her hand into a fist and looked at Fluttershy feeling a determination to complete her new goal. She then said. “Alright Flutters, I think we’re going to have a fun day.”

Fluttershy smiled and said. “I’m glad to see you’re cheering up.”


The two of them went downstairs after that to enjoy a nice breakfast. Rita was glad to walk without need of her walking stick, although she had become endeared to it. So she decided that she would continue using the walking stick anyways.

Sitting patiently at the table Fluttershy had made some food for the two of them. A bowl with some hay in it was sat down in front of Rita before, Fluttershy went on to grab some for herself. Rita simply stared curiously at the bowl.

Fluttershy noticed Rita’s inquisitive stare and asked. “Is something wrong?”

Rita tilted her head to the side and said. “I don’t believe that it’s unhealthy for me to eat this, but at the same time I know that I won’t be getting any nutrients from it. Human’s have a hard time digesting stuff like hay.”

Fluttershy blushed a little and put a hoof over her mouth saying. “Oh…I’m sorry, I forgot that you weren’t…um what would you like to eat?”

Rita sighed and thought about it for a minute, she then said to herself. “Bacon, and sausage, and eggs, and toast, and muffins. Oh and some coffee with a little milk and a lot of sugar in it.”

Fluttershy stood there looking blankly at her for a few moments before saying in a quiet and timid voice. “Oh…um I don’t know what some of that is…but I can make you some eggs and toast…if you want.”

Rita stopped thinking for a second when Fluttershy mentioned egg’s, did horses really eat eggs? It took her a few minutes while Fluttershy made breakfast for her, before she finally remembered reading about horse feeds which including eggs as an ingredient. She had to learn a little more about horses then she had ever wanted too during the war, but she was thankful for that knowledge now.

Fluttershy turned and looked at Rita from the stove and asked. “Um…how would you like your eggs?”

Rita gave a small smile to Fluttershy and said. “Sunny side up, I would also enjoy some coffee if you got any.”

Fluttershy nodded and smiling softly she said. “Alright, and um…I’m sorry about the hay, I should have asked you what you wanted for breakfast.”

Rita gave an even wider smile at Fluttershy while saying. “It’s fine. You’re cooking for me and that’s awesome.”

Fluttershy blushed a little before turning away and going to work in the kitchen. Rita really did like this pony, after all Fluttershy had been a really good friend to her. She still found the idea of being friends with a horse to be a little surreal, but it was very enjoyable.


After breakfast Rita found herself following Fluttershy around town. As it turned out Fluttershy had some things to do that day, and Rita was going along with her. Rita wanted to meet some more ponies, but she also didn’t want to be left alone. Ponies around town were still giving her odd looks and murmuring things about her. Thankfully though there was a lot less attention focused on her then there had been the day before.

The two of them finally arrived at a cone shaped building with multiple floors. The walls at the base being painted baby blue and the upwards curving roof being a purple and pink diamond pattern. This house looked very much like some kind of toy to Rita, but at least it was kinda cute. The sign on the front door read. “Welcome to the Carousel Boutique.” A sign just underneath that read. “We’re closed right now, please come back when we’re opened.”

Fluttershy went inside without reading the sign, and Rita followed along not caring either way. The inside was a little different to be sure. The floor was light purple, and the walls were blue although so many purple curtains hung around the area it was hard to tell. There was a small stage set in front of several mirrors. There was also an oak wood vanity mirror set off to the side of the room, right next to a few pony shaped mannequins wearing what could only be described as elegant saddle-dresses.

As Rita began walking over to the vanity mirror trying her best not to laugh at the mannequins, she heard Fluttershy say. “Rarity lives here, she’s a good friend of mine. If you complement her on her designs I’m sure you two will become great friends.”

Rita’s mind began to wonder about what sort of designs this Rarity had. Maybe she had designed a suit of pony armor that could shoot lasers from a tail mounted gun? Or maybe even a vessel for underwater travel. Or maybe she had designed a great flying death machine, one that could decimate entire cities by itself. Rita just had to find out what sort of mechanical designs Rarity had invented.

Fluttershy skulked about peeking into the kitchen while Rita investigated the vanity mirror. On the desk of the mirror sat a small blue Lapis Lazuli gem, next to a small mirror about the size of her palm. Rita picked up the mirror and examined it for a moment, it was almost a perfect fit for her gauntlet, it was only slightly too small. It would be a loose fit, but some adjustment could easily fix that. The gem however was a much better find.

Rita hadn’t worked with Lapis Lazuli in a long time, it was a type of ore that never wanted to work right for her ever since the war. Some of these gems worked better for certain types of people, she just wasn’t right for Lapis Lazuli. However she could still force it to work for her, though that came at a cost. It would cause burnout much faster than normal gems, not to mention that she wasn’t sure what it would even do.

She picked it up and placed it next to the back of her palm taking a good look at it, it didn’t feel too heavy and she could easily wrap the wire coils around it. Though testing could be dangerous without proper equipment. Rita was about to set the two objects down when she heard someone coming down the stairs. Rita had been so distracted that she had failed to realize that there was a staircase at the end of the room.

A white mare with a deep purple mane which curled fashionably, walked down the stairs. She had a horn but no wings. Rita guessed that this meant she could use magic but not fly. So far that makes three unique races of ponies she noted to herself, the horned ones being the most dangerous so far.

The white pony walked down the stairs and took one look at Rita. The pony’s eyes went wide and her pupils small. She then saw Fluttershy walking towards her peacefully and asked nervously. “Fluttershy darling, what is that thing by my vanity mirror.”

Fluttershy’s expression stayed kind as she said. “That’s my new friend Rita, she’s here to meet you. Also we have business with you.”

Rarity looked down at her own hooves and then back up to Rita and shook her head for a second. After that she seemed to regain her composer and walked gracefully towards Rita while introducing herself. “Hello darling, my name is Rarity.”

Rita looked back at the mannequins and said. “Hey. I’m Rita Rainwater. This place is…unique.”

Rarity paused for a moment and said proudly. “It is a creative little place is it not. My home is very fashionable.” She then took a good hard look at Rita before her eyes popped wide and she exclaimed. “Darling, where did you get that jacket? It’s absolutely perfect for my winter line up. Seeing as its spring now, I only have a little bit of time to prepare. Would you be interested in helping me with my winter line of clothing?”

Rita stood there stunned for a moment while she processed this. No one ever thought that she had good fashion, in fact Rita had been accused of being a crime against fashion before in the past. Ponies truly were weird.

Fluttershy spoke softly and said. “She might be able to help you, but were going to need something in return.” Fluttershy then whispered something into Rarity’s ear.

Rarity then said. “That’s just fine. In fact I would love to work on that right away.”

Rita than began laughing at the idea of setting new fashion trends. She then said. “Haha wait were you serious? I’m not a model or anything.”

Rarity then smiled and said. “Now don’t be so shy Rita. You would make a fantastic model.”

Rita simply shook her head back and forth and said. “That’s nice of you, but I don’t give a crap about fashion, I only care about going home as soon as possible.”

Rarity’s face screwed up as she stammered for a moment. “B-b-b-but…fashion.”

Fluttershy smacked her forehead with a hoof, and then she said. “Ow….Rita what did I say about complements.”

Rita replied. “But I haven’t seen any designs, I haven’t even seen any blue prints. I haven’t seen anything to indicate mechanical prowess at all. Where’s the flying machines, or the suits of armor? You told me she designed things.”

Fluttershy then said in a polite tone, the kind used by parents trying to explain things to there children. “Rarity designs clothing. In fact most of the clothing you see being worn in ponyville was designed and made by her.”

Rita stood there for a moment examining her surroundings. A stage with a mirror, pony shaped mannequins, and lots of drapes. Rarity was a simple clothes designer like Fluttershy had said. Rita’s hopes of seeing cool gemtech designs vanished in that moment. Rita still holding the Lapis Lazuli stone asked disappointedly. “If you make clothing, then why would you have gems lying around?”

Rarity took one look at the gem Rita was holding and said. “Oh darling that was for a dress I was working on earlier. I ended up with more gems then I needed so I was going to give all the extra’s to Spikey Wikey.”

Rita then asked. “Mind if I keep this one?”

Rarity pondered that for a moment before saying. “Alright, you can have that one. The rest are for Spike.” She then looked at the other thing in Rita’s hands and asked. “Oh…that mirror. Where did you get it?”

Rita then said. “I saw it lying on the desk next to the gem. I thought I’d use it for an accessory I’m building on.” Rita then thought about what she had just said and rectified. “If uh…your okay with that.”

Rarity frowned for a moment, and then smiled saying. “Alright you can have the mirror too. You simply must show me what you made when you’re done. Oh and if you need any assistance just let me know.”

Rita smiled at her and thanked her for the gesture. Afterwards Rita found herself being subjected to Rarity’s idea of fun. All of Rita’s body was being measured causing all sorts of paranoia to crawl around her mind. Thankfully Rarity was using her magic to measure with and not her hooves, Rita did not like being touched by hooves.

Rarity simply said she wanted the measurements for a project she was working on. Afterwards Rita and Fluttershy left Rarity’s home. Fluttershy then said. “Come on Rita, I’m going to introduce you to the others as well.”

Rita sighed as they walked away from Rarity’s home and admitted. “She’s nice, but completely insane. I mean her love for clothing is obsessive. I’m happy if I actually having something that’s not too big on me.”

Fluttershy gave a little smile before saying. “We all have our own little…hobbies, I personally love animals.”

Rita continued walking as she wrapped the blue gem into the wires located on the back of her Gauntlet. She then popped the mirror out of the little plastic case it was set in, and placed it on the circular spot on the palm of her gauntlet. She then used her magical fire to weld the mirror in place with a finger. it fit a lot better then she had expected.

Now admiring her gauntlet Rita heard Fluttershy ask. “What does that do?”

Rita grinned wildly as she said. “I have absolutely no idea.”

PreviousChapters Next