• Published 12th May 2014
  • 2,237 Views, 9 Comments

Mother-less day - fluttercord45

  • ...
2
 9
 2,237

Chapter 1

Mother-less Day

Based on a comic by silver quill

Today was Mother’s Day in Equestria. Once every year, mothers get the respect they deserve for the things they do for their children, for their love and care, and for giving them the feeling that they can do anything. Children both young and old take time out of their busy schedules to dedicate this special day to the pony they called “Mom”.

In Ponyville, all the mothers were being treated by their children with special gifts, meals, and other surprises that they had been planning all week leading up until Mother’s Day. Everypony was happy being together with their beloved mothers. Well… almost everypony, save for two: a mare earth pony with an orange coat, a yellow mane with a cowboy hat on top, and three apples for a cutie mark, and a little filly earth pony with a yellow coat, a red mane with a pinkish bow, and no cutie mark on her flank.

The mare and the filly were walking through town seeing mothers with their children being happy. The mare and filly both walked with their heads hanging low from a heavy weight in their hearts; they used to have a mother that they could celebrate this and every day with once. However, one day when they were all young she had fallen very ill and passed away rather suddenly. It was a painful memory that they would never forget, especially when Mother’s Day came around.

"I hate Mother’s Day," the filly said with a little anger in her voice to hide her pain. She stared hard at the ground, not wanting to see all the happiness around them.

"Don’t say that Apple Bloom," said Applejack. “It’s a special day for everypony.”

"But it’s so unfair!" Apple Bloom looked around her, seeing all the colts and fillies spending quality time with their mothers. The smiling faces and laughter stung her already aching heart. "They’re all together, but we can’t be because... Because…" She trailed off, her eyes started to get a bit watery as she was about to cry.

Applejack put her hoof around Apple Bloom’s neck and held her close to her.

"I know sugarcube, I know," she said quietly and tightened her grip.

Together they cried, both of them recalling a time when Mother’s Day would bring them and their older brother Big Macintosh joy. They would carefully plan a breakfast-in-bed surprise, which they had spent hours before sunrise preparing. It was usually a sloppy meal but made with all the love in their hearts.

Apple Bloom was too young to help out with the cooking, but she would be sitting at the edge of the bed with the biggest grin on her face anyway. While her older siblings stumbled around the kitchen preparing breakfast, she would gather flowers for the vase they would place on the tray so that all of their love combined was evident in the meal in some way.

When their mother had fallen ill, they took over the chores on the farm in her stead. Overnight they grew from innocent foals without a care in the world into a sad filly, an overworking mare, and a quiet stallion. Big Macintosh grew quieter and quieter and when their mother passed, he hardly said anything at all other than a simple “ayup” or “nope”. Apple Jack put all of her effort into working the farm to distract her wounded heart.
Unfortunately, at the time, the two of them had grown distant from Apple Bloom, withdrawing into themselves, and the little filly had no one to turn to for comfort. It wasn’t until they found her curled up in their mother’s empty bed crying that they realized she needed them, and from then on Applejack became overprotective of her.

Twilight and her mother were walking through town and saw Applejack and her little sister crying, lost in their memories.

"Applejack? Apple Bloom?"

Applejack looked up to see Twilight and her mother looking at them with concern on their faces. She let go of Apple Bloom to wipe the tears from her eyes while Apple Bloom walked away to hide behind her.

"Oh howdy Twilight, howdy Mrs. Sparkle," she greeted them. "Where are you two headed?"

"We were on our way to lunch," Twilight said.

"Oh, that sounds...” She paused and her tone became sad as she finished, “nice."

Mrs. Sparkle looked at Applejack and Apple Bloom and the sad, depressed looks on their faces at not having a mother to spend time with. "And we were wondering if you’d like to join us?" she asked politely.

"That’s mighty kind of you both, but we wouldn’t wanna intrude."

“Applejack, you already like a sister to Twilight,” she said, giving them a warm smile. “so might I adopt you both, just for the day.” She giggled and looked at her daughter. “It’s Twilight’s treat, after all, and I’m sure she wouldn’t mind you two coming along. Besides, I would love to hear about the mare that raised such wonderful ponies.”

Apple Bloom had a big, surprised smile and Applejack slowly smiled as well. Both of them were touched and happy at the idea of spending time with a mother in a way they hadn’t in a long time.

Apple Bloom and Mrs. Sparkle started to walk ahead, already talking away, the little filly telling her everything she could remember about her mother.

"You don’t know how much this means to us, Twilight." Applejack smiled at her.

“It means we’re family." Twilight put her wings around Applejack, returning her smile.

"Thank you." She started to tear up again but smiled wider to fight it. “Thank you, Twilight.” She embraced her dear friend briefly.

They both trotted forward to catch up with Apple Bloom and their “mother”. It was the happiest day that they would never forget, and though their hearts would always have an empty place for their own mother, it was comforted and kept strong by the new memories from that Mother’s Day.

Author's Note:

yes sorry it was short and a last second right sorry.so I hope you spend mothers day with ur loving mother.

Comments ( 9 )

Good job fluttercord45:pinkiesad2:

:twilightsmile This is a very cute story!!! :yay:

You seem like a really cool writer person :pinkiehappy: might read some more of your stories!

Did a great job converting it from a comic.

you got this from a comic on deviantart didn't you?

Kawaii desu~!!!!:heart:

4377578 a comic written by Silver Quill: The god of slapstick

This is pretty good, but the narrative is a bit...dry, maybe? Like, for example, you don't need to list Applejack and Apple Bloom's hair colors; I already know what they look like. I also would've liked more detail with Twilight and her mother eating lunch and having a conversation with AJ and AB. It's a cute idea, but it needs a little work.

Kind story, good work!

Login or register to comment