• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 3,570 Views, 477 Comments

Daring Do - GaPJaxie



Bioshock meets MLP in this psychological thriller, where Celestia's new faithful student, Siren Song, must discover the truth behind the city beneath the waves. Arriving in pursuit of Twilight, Siren finds herself trapped in a city of horrors.

  • ...
12
 477
 3,570

The End

As she journeys through the city with her friends, one by one, Siren faces the Elements of Harmony. Fluttershy is the corruption of Kindness, in the form of smothering control and materialism. Applejack is the corruption of Honesty, in the form of denial. Rainbow Dash is the corruption of loyalty in the form of fascism and blind obedience to leaders who don’t deserve it. Pinkie Pie is the corruption of laughter, and we’ve already seen why. Zephyr was one of Pinkie Pie’s followers, the teenage prostitute who always keeps a smile on her face even as she’s crying inside. Never stop smiling.

Soon, of course, Siren starts to suspect that Twilight isn’t dead. She can see where this is going. Because, in this big laugh Poison Joke is having at the city’s expense, it’s obvious what role Twilight plays. She’s the corruption of magic, because she did bring everypony else together in this strange and magnificent way that’s impossible to describe. But she didn’t make them happy. By her actions, their suffering brought them together.

Siren has her own worries as well however. As the powers Heart’s Desire grants her increasingly start to resemble Rarity’s, Green suspects that maybe Siren is still Rarity’s heir, and their once close friendly rapidly cools despite Siren’s best efforts. She still doesn’t know why Trixie is so determined to help her, or what plans of her own Berry has. It all comes to a head when she finally gets her hooves on the report Doctor Stable made, all the way back in the start of the story, when he was testing for her identity.

Siren’s blood, compared to a hair sample provided by Trixie. 99% chance of a maternal relationship. Echo knew all along (since he got the report from Rarity’s goons) and has been giggling all the while as Siren plays up her theatrics. Half a showmare indeed.

As the situation in the city rapidly degrades, with the Elements of Harmony united against Trixie and Siren, it increasingly seems that even Neptune’s Bounty may no longer be safe. Realizing this might be her last chance to set things right, Siren returns to Trixie’s lair.

Passing the young mare in the office -- who is revealed to be a wiredoll under an illusion spell -- Siren finds the real Trixie behind a sliding panel in the back. Half dead, crippled by years of mantle abuse, she’s confined to her bed, unable to breathe without a respirator and constantly overseen by doctors. Her nervous system is so degraded she’s half-paralyzed, and finds it hard to speak without the doll transceiver. Still though, looking at this wretched creature, Siren compassion in her heart. She steps up to Trixie’s side, kneels beside the bed, and forgives Trixie for abandoning her in the orphanage so long ago.

To which Trixie responds, with a contemptuous sneer and a roll of her eyes, that she’s not Siren’s mother. Really she thought it was obvious. The collectors call her “Cousin Pinkpony.” And what is a cousin but the daughter of my mother’s sister? The hair sample came from Twilight. Siren is Twilight’s daughter, Sine is her father, and the “old friend” Trixie was repaying a debt to by saving Siren was Twilight before she was corrupted by mantles. Trixie was trying to do what “the real Twilight,” would have wanted. Fair repayment for saving Trixie from the Alicorn Amulet.

Left in shock, Siren is assaulted by visions from Rarity’s tea, where she finally beholds what happened. Sine was indeed real, a stallion who moved to Ponyville before the Blight, and who was rather sweet on Twilight. Despite his odd ideas about selfishness and generosity, Princess Celestia liked him at first. Everyone liked him, really. No matter what he said, he has this charismatic, almost hypnotic air about him. You felt you could trust him. That he could look into your eyes and just understand you.

Like Siren always seems to have a bizarre understanding of ponies. How she always knows what they’re thinking. How she can tell one silence from another.

But soon, even as Twilight and Sine became a romantic item, Celestia grew suspicious. The Blight had begun, and while there was nothing connecting Sine to it, ruin always seemed to follow in his wake. He visited a town, and a week later, riots broke out. He sold produce to a city, Blight spread throughout its crops. Celestia could prove nothing, but the amount of circumstantial evidence piled higher and higher. Sine had a Suspiciously Unconfirmable Backstory, with nopony who could say they knew him before he arrived in Ponyville. And there he always was, stirring up sentiment against the Princess.

Finally, Celestia had him arrested. In the confrontation that would become legend, Sine burned his farm before letting Celestia touch it. Though she had no intention of seizing his crops, she found it impossible to convince his furious disciples otherwise. She dragged him to Canterlot Palace, and Twilight with him, demanding Twilight and her friends use the Elements of Harmony upon him. He he really was what he seemed to be, he had nothing to fear, but Celestia highly doubted that was the case. Whatever he was, he wasn’t a pony, she knew.

Twilight and her friends hesitated however, and in the face of their hesitance, Sine gave an eloquent speech about the importance of individual freedom, and that the Elements of Harmony were not a weapon to be used against Celestia’s political enemies. He offered to go to jail -- for burning down his farm, since he was admittedly guilty of arson -- but dismissed her other concerns as simple paranoia. He wanted what was best, and besides, he couldn’t really mean Celestia any harm. She was Twilight’s mentor, and harming her would make Twilight sad. He could never hurt his true love that way.

Celestia looked at Twilight, and looked at Sine, and understood that Twilight would not raise a hoof against him. And so she called all her power into her horn, and launched a brilliant, burning ray directly at his heart, to burn him to ashes.

It bounced off. Then in a blur of motion and shadow, Sine hit her hard enough the stone beneath her cracked. It was a brawl between creatures that were not quite mortal. Celestia had wings, a horn, countless spells and her mighty strength, while Sine seemed to be an unstoppable juggernaut, with skin like iron and blows that shattered stone. Back and forth they went, until Sine broke one of Celestia’s wings with a thrown chunk of marble, and she fell to the ground. He pounced atop her, lifting a hoof to smash her skull into paste.

Then, Twilight blasted him with her horn -- through the ears, instead of across the skin. He staggered, still alive with an otherworldly vigor despite half the contents of his skull being reduced to ash. But Celestia took advantage, and in his stunned state, she slew him.

With Sine dead, the Blight began to fade almost immediately, and the riots calmed. They never found out who or what he really was. Twilight found out she was pregnant two weeks later. When Siren was born, she had fangs. Surgery removed them, but everypony knew.

Perhaps it was the lingering effects of Sine’s dark magic on her mind, or perhaps her grief was genuine, but she never forgave Celestia for the fact that her child would grow up without a father, and she denied all claims that Sine was responsible for what befell Equestria. After Siren’s birth, she locked herself in her library, and descended into a negative spiral of grief, rage, and denial. Concerned for her student’s mental health, Celestia forcefully intervened, and when she found that Siren was not being fed or properly cared for, took her to Canterlot.

To Twilight’s warped mind, Celestia had just stolen her daughter from her, and that was all it took to push her over the edge. Her grief turned to a focused madness, a narrative of Celestia’s wickedness, and in time, she left Equestria.

Her visions over, Siren awakes to find Neptune’s Bounty is under attack. Trixie’s empire is crumbling, and with it gone, the last vestige of resistance to the regime will crumble. She and her friends, Berry, Echo, and Green, go out to make their last stand, facing down the Elements of Harmony, including Twilight.

Knowing there’s no way out of this, Siren tries for a hail mary play, giving a speach where she insists that her friends are the true Elements of Harmony. Trixie is Magic because she brought everyone together, and Berry is Loyalty because her her caring for Trixie. And Echo is, uh… honesty? Maybe. That’s about as far as she gets before ponies start giggling. They aren’t the Elements of Harmony, Twilight points out. In fact, they’re all awful, awful people.

With death now inevitable, Siren gives one last speech, defending her and her friends to Twilight. Because Twilight is right, they are deeply flawed people, but that doesn’t mean they’re irredeemable. Echo is a drunken facist womanizer, but he has lines he won’t cross and things he stands for, and his choice to defend Siren was genuine. Green is a murderer driven by jealous rage, but she’s also a compassionate and caring friend. Trixie is a schemer and a thug, but she always held Twilight’s kindness in her heart, and paid it forward to Berry when she was suffering from crippling depression. And Berry, for all she pretends to be an emotionless robot, truly loves Trixie as a friend, and was always there for Siren even when Siren didn’t deserve it.

None of them, Siren admits, are heroes. But they’re not pure evil either. Even if they don’t always show it, they have good in them, and it’s those little moments of compassion that are the reason Siren is still alive and standing there. Because goodness isn’t a force that can be wielded as a weapon, and friendship isn’t six magic stones. It’s a power that is present in all ponies, however faintly, that makes their lives better and gets them through the day. And no matter how much Twilight and her friends posion these ponies souls with mantles, they can never extinguish that light completely.

Then, Siren realizes she’s glowing. Purple -- like the Element of Magic. But she’s not the only one. Trixie is glowing that shade too, so is Thunderlane, officers and rebel leaders. Echo is red like the Element of Loyalty, but so is Berry, so are the rebels who stuck by eachother. Green is Kindness, but so is Zephyr and all the ponies who did so many little things along the way. Golden Palm is Generosity. And so on and so forth. All the ponies in the city, glowing, just a little, and Twilight and the other corrupted Elements can’t stop it.

Twilight and the others shriek as Elements of Harmony come to life against their will, wrapping them up in a brilliant rainbow that soon spreads outwards, consuming the city. Markers panic and flee in all directions as the city starts to crumble, tumbling down around their ears. Siren is left alone to ponder as all her friends scatter, realizing that Sine was afraid of the touch of the Elements of Harmony. She is his daughter, with the same powers and the same evil that dwells in her heart, and she remembers the stories of King Sombra getting blown into pieces by that same power. She wonders if the touch is going to kill her, and after a little while, decides that would be okay. She sits there and shuts her eyes, waiting for the end to come.

The rainbow expands outwards, enveloping Siren and the others. The city rises and shakes. And when Siren next opens her eyes, they’re on the surface. Vision has been transformed, from an underwater city into an artificial island above the sea floor. The force fields are gone, and the windows are open to the air, and let the sunlight stream in. The extra cutie marks are gone. The bottles of mantles have transformed into bottles of seawater. And the fields of Poison Joke have blown away like dust in the wind.

Green is a real unicorn mare, and will never need magic to look that way again. Her impossibly perfect looks are gone -- in fact, she looks like a farm mare who just happens to have a horn -- but she doesn’t care. That’s all she ever really wanted.

Berry’s depression is cured, along with her crushing addiction. For the first and only time in the story, we see her display emotion as she cries with joy and sweeps Siren up in a hug.

Trixie is no longer crippled or addicted. Golden Palm’s wings are fixed. Applejack’s children are cured. Ponies all across the city find the no longer need magic to transform themselves. They are exactly what they always wanted to be. And that’s enough.

Siren has a moment with her own cynical thoughts, sneering at what a saccharine-sweet ending this is, when she hears a shriek and turns to see Echo and Rarity struggling. Rarity’s extra cutie marks are gone as well, along with her malevolent air. While the other Elements of Harmony watch in horror, he’s holding her to the ground, trying to stop her from killing herself as she screams that she doesn’t want to live with the memory of what she’s done. The horrible things. It was all her fault.

Some part of Siren enjoys seeing that -- knowing that the perfect ending isn’t quite so perfect. Then she chastises herself for the thought, realizing that the Elements of Harmony did not, in fact, cure her of Sine’s evil. She doesn’t get that easy an out. After a moment of consideration, she wanders over to the Elements of Harmony, which has been transformed into a civic monument depicting the new layout of the city beneath the sun. Sitting beneath them, she finds some paper in her belt-pockets, and begins composing the Letter to Celestia we saw all the way back in the opening chapter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

It has been some time since I wrote you. I imagine you did not expect to ever hear from me again.

Much has changed since the last time we spoke. I have changed. I wonder—will you recognize me, next we meet? Will you recoil? Perhaps, yourself eternal, you are used to others changing around you.

You lied to me, Celestia. You called me your faithful student. You told me you would always be there for me. I’m not sure I can forgive you for that, but I understand why you did it. I know what you were trying to protect me from.

I’m rambling now. I suppose I owe you some explanation of where I have been all this time.

When I was a foal and asked you why you took me as a student, you told me that I was going to change the world, that I was destined to do great things.

You were right.

Comments ( 77 )

So what happened to Twilight and the other original elements?

I'll still wish to see what this story could have been, but there is at least an ending. A sort of catharsis, I suppose. For that, I thank you.

Thank you kindly. At least you tell us The End and not just drop one of the best stories I'd ever read. Now my soul free from suffering. :twilightsmile:

Thank you.

I'm disappointed I won't ever be able to read the story in the middle, but this takes the edge off, and gives off the message the story wanted to convey.

I hope you will go on to greater and better things, and if and when you do, please tell us so we can follow.

(unless you already have, in which case congratulations :-P )

Oh, so no big talk with Celestia in end of story?
And how about Twilight, did she understand what she do? And what happens next?

6932195

Originally? Twilight was poisoned by Sine's dark power, as as the Element of Magic, the poison in her heart soon spread to her friends. Mantles were a manifestation of that evil, hence why they all turned to seawater at the touch of the Elements of Harmony. The story implies that Sine may, in fact, have cursed Twilight for striking him down.

As for what happens to them after the story? They move on. They recover. They learn to live with what they did. And eventually, maybe, they're okay again.

6932215
6932218

I figured it was the least I owe you. Thank you for reading!

6932303

When I get back into writing, you'll know. Of course I plan to post it here! Most of the reason for my silence has just been emotional health issues. Depression, primarily. Don't worry though, I'm okay. :)

6932348

What happens next is an open question, but the letter was meant to serve as Siren's last talk with Celestia. She still cares about Celestia, but doesn't worship her the way she once did. Celestia lied to her, stole her from her mother, and left her in an orphanage. Siren understands why she did it, but she's not prepared to forgive just yet.

Now that this story is over I can favorite it and enjoy with Bioshock music while thinking... how could this go with Bioshock Infinite?

nah, just kidding, besides, I still haven't played Infinite.

This is one of the best stories I've ever read, no contest asked, even considering how abrupt this ended.

Thank you for giving such a fine world to imagine and I wish you for the best.

Now for real, what other game could be written like this? Puppeteer? Spec Ops: The Line? Soul Reaver? granted, it would be a very different story, but I think you could handle it, if you ever find the necessity to do it.

Great ride while it lasted, thanks for the wonderful story.

6932654

I did outline an Infinite version once. Luna is the protagonist and Twilight Sparkle is the damsel in distress.

Thank you very much though. I am glad you enjoyed. :)

6932772 Sounds about right.

You welcome and good luck with your next project.

Well, I'm glad we get closure! It was an interesting idea y'had. So what was Sine meant to be? Just a generic monster in the dark? Or did you have a specific critter in mind?

6932843

Sine was a shapeshifting charismatic monster created by King Sombra to spy on the populace and keep them under control. Essentially, Sombra's Minister of Propaganda. When Sombra was banished into the ice for a thousand years, Sine simply waited for him to get out, pretending to be a normal pony until the day his master returned. When Sombra finally escaped, Sine went to greet him, and arrived at the Crystal Empire just in time to see him blown to pieces.

Thereafter, he sword vengeance on Twilight, Celestia, Cadence and Equestria for what they did. Twilight he seduced, drove mad, and left with a kid. Celestia got to watch her nation burn and her student go mad in front of her. Equestria suffered the Blight. And, while it never ended up occurring on screen, he poisoned Cadence's daughter in her crib. That was originally going to come up as a background reference, when someone says alicorns are immortal, and Echo points out that at least one of them wasn't.

Hm. Interesting. Not the sort of ending I was expecting. :)

6932881

Two questions:
- Didn't Rarity die after Siren penetrated her skull through the eye?
- Was Scoots healed too in the end?

6934384

Such as it is! But I hope you enjoyed.

6934541

Rarity lived, though she did lose the eye, permanently.

And yes, Scoots was fully healed. She even kept the power of flight. :)

6935353
Aye, I did; thanks.

Well that was some interesting insight to the story if it continued. I still find myself wondering what was going on in Applejacks place as Siren's group descended the ladder. It was just so odd and a bit scary what it seemed to indicate. Though at the same time I feared what would have happened to Scootaloo if something happened to Applebloom?

Trixie's true condition does have a rather a rather Wizard of Oz feel to it. Or at least a strong feeling of connection to her performer days.

6935716

Well that was some interesting insight to the story if it continued. I still find myself wondering what was going on in Applejacks place as Siren's group descended the ladder. It was just so odd and a bit scary what it seemed to indicate. Though at the same time I feared what would have happened to Scootaloo if something happened to Applebloom?

An argument happened! Nothing else, it was just dramatic.

6935844 Okay. Still it seems rather sad to think about how she's in hiding with Applebloom. It didn't sound like Vision had a fairly well set up system to take care of victims of Mantles effects. Though that does bring to mind what ever happened between Rainbow Dash before Siren and after the Elements of harmony purged Sire's effect on the main six?

Hmmmm... Though I suppose Vision and Sire had quite a bit of negative effects on ponies that lived there or touched by Sire's evil ingluence. Poor Diamond Tiara. To be redeemed only to fall again. Certainly doesn't sound like she'll be getting a second a third chance after shaking hooves with Berry Punch.:raritydespair:

If only this part of the story was actually broken down. How Siren Song finally realizes how much of a b*tch she is!
So many parts of the story that needs to be added on the story like:
Twilight's descent to insanity!
Siren Song's family tree!
The underground city's rise and fall!
And all of those other stories that make you question your ideals in life!

It did not drag on, forever in a perpetual hiatus, but giving the story closure was nice. For that, thanks.

SQA

Absolutely fantastic. Honestly this is one of the most well written stories I've ever read. I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it.

Thank you so much for the great story.
First time, I kinda dove through Siren Song and Daring Do during a particularly boring holiday, but even reading it on my tiny phone it was captivating and vivid, one of the most well thought-out AUs I have read, with - in my opinion - the most fascinating OC out there.

It's a shame you didn't get to end it how you originally planned, but you gave us some closure, which is infinitely better than the eternal "incomplete"-tag.

Sooo, thank you again for this amazing story, and I wish you the best of luck in the future!

6943125

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed. :twilightsmile:

6943348

First time, I kinda dove through Siren Song and Daring Do during a particularly boring holiday, but even reading it on my tiny phone it was captivating and vivid, one of the most well thought-out AUs I have read, with - in my opinion - the most fascinating OC out there.

Oh, you flatterer you! :raritywink:

It's a shame you didn't get to end it how you originally planned, but you gave us some closure, which is infinitely better than the eternal "incomplete"-tag. Sooo, thank you again for this amazing story, and I wish you the best of luck in the future!

No, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As I read the story and remember Siren Song it make me think of Starlight Glimmer...

Rarity was bad but I can just imagine Starlight in a fabric of Cutie Mark, she use the Cutie Pox to create cutie marks and put them in jars to sell them.

Why leave it to luck when you can have the Cutie Mark you want?


P.S: Are you going to continue the story? I only read the final chapters a little to avoid too many spoilers but if you have time it could be good if you continue, also, it's a surprise that between those that Siren selled by being hypnotized by Fluttershy was not Apple Bloom.

So the art for this one all seems to be broken, or it is for the first few chapters at least. It seems to be because of the silly imgur blacklisting, and I was able to get around it by opening the broken images in their own tab, but I don't seem to be able to do that on the iPad I use for reading. Do you have any plans on moving the image hosting to a different site? Even though I'm itching for more Siren Song, I felt that the art really added a lot to the story in the first book, and that it would be worth waiting for.

6951931

I do! I'm waiting to see if FiMFic gets its own image hosting option first though.

6952046
Great! Something to look forward to.

Ah, a true sunshine and rainbows ending. Wasn't expecting it, given how grim things were getting,

I guess it must've sucked for Siren to grow up with everyone remembering her terrible (demonic?) origins colouring their interactions. To have her literally defanged at birth is really sad. I like the name pick "Sine" pick for Siren's sire. With his sine, and Twilight's tangents, it's no wonder Siren can think circles around other pony-like beings. ;D

6952046 Though it's sad that you didn't finish the story, you did provide closure, which proves you have for more honor than ninety-five percent of all fanfiction authors. Thank you.

Also, I hope you overcome your depression. I was once clinically depressed for almost six years, and I know it can be overcome.

I wish this was marked as cancelled instead of complete. While the summary of the rest of the story is nice, its not quite the same.

7218258

You're right, that is inaccurate. Fixed!

7465200

Hooray!

7465362

in general, I love your writing. It feels detailed, yet not overly lengthy. We see an abundance of excellent descriptions and prose, and dialogue isnt overdone. You've got the voices for the characters down pat, each one being unique, interesting, and consistent. And the narration itself feels like it's coming from siren song, you can really see how she thinks by how she interprets things. I could copy and paste this for every chapter, I have no doubt that it will all stay true, but that sounds like a whole lot of work. So just imagine this applies to every chapter.

pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/mlfw5326_small.png

For this chapter, I really enjoyed as you executed a pretty much perfect transition from giving up siren to drugged out siren to waking up siren to mantled siren to depressed siren to panic attack siren. The whole style and tone of the writing changes fluidly with her mood, which is very helpful to immerse me in the world.

Calling herself pink and noticing was also a really nice touch. To be clear, I enjoyed pretty much everything, and these are merely the most exemplary parts.

Thank you! I'm really glad you liked it. I spent a long, long time fiddling with the flow of that particular part of the chapter. It took a ton of revisions, but I'm really happy with the end product.

7468264

I remember Berry very explicitly shaking Diamond Tiara's hand in her chapter. This combined with Berry's whole touching aversion has led me to believe that her hoofs or whole body have a layer of some sort of poison on them. This was further supported by this chapter, with DT's fate and Berry's "answers", yet contradicted with Berry reaching out to stop Trixie. The most likely explanation I can think of for this is that Trixie has immunized herself to the poison, and perhaps even uses it herself.

Berry better pick up that phone because you called it!

Now that you've gotten to the end, I can go ahead and reveal that the Trixie in the office is a wiredoll under an illusion spell, and so cannot be poisoned.

The reason I bring this up is point out what I enjoyed most this chapter. Siren is smart. In more ways than I'd like to admit to myself, she is smarter than I am. She makes connections, notices details, and comes up with ideas that wouldn't be able to. Her stratagem to force Trixie's hoof, her analysis of tone and word choice during the speech, even her figuring out that Trixie makes more than enough money and wouldn't need any from Celestia. But she is also dumber than me. She constantly makes mistakes, misses obvious ( at least to me) things, and reads people the wrong way. She's never noticed any connection between Berry touching people and death (whether or not there actually is one). She misread Trixie needing a lot of time to think about her decision. This is vital for me, because a story where the narrator reveals the solutions to all the puzzles before I had a chance to figure them out would be either convoluted or insulting, while a story where the narrator is an idiot and cannot solve any puzzles themselves is generally boring.
Siren Song is a perfect opportunity not to try to solve the story's puzzles, but rather to solve both what Siren missed, and mistook. All while being blown away by what she managed to get right. She would be a fun debate partner.

Siren isn't dumb. She acts dumb at times, but as Rarity said: "You are perfectly capable of employing rational thought, you just rarely choose to do so." Siren is intuitive. She has strong instincts for people and situations and tends to listen to those instincts. In some areas, like reading ponies, that's to her credit since her intuitive judgements are spot on. In other areas, not so much.

7470748

What I loved most about this chapter was sneaky Berry; A new mystery to solve. I cannot recall her using this super power beforehand, but perhaps Siren (or I) simply didn't notice. The moment when she showed up in the cafe was about as close to a jumpscare as possible with writing are your medium. I hope we see this explored more later.

Berry's power, BTW, was intended to be a form of zebra martial arts called the "Blending With the Herd" technique. It is literally a Somepony Else's Problem field. You see Berry there, she just seems like an insignificant part of the background and not worth consideration.

Naturally, she cannot use this form while doing anything that would call attention to herself, such as speaking, fighting, etc. All she can do is stand there and watch. This is why there's no criminal record of her for being arrested. She seemed unimportant and they never bothered booking her.

Also Siren's characterization, how the daring do is changing her, and the whole deal with Echo were kind of amazing too. And the changing girlfriend idea.

Look, all I'm saying is, a changeling girlfriend can turn into literally anything you want, and she has to keep you happy and loving so she can eat. This is a smoking hot mare who will never start a fight with you. It's perfect!

7470909

Overall, this story has used a lot of new characters, with most of the recognizable characters from the show serving as larger than life figures. Which gives Apple Bloom that much more impact as a character. I believe she is the first named "regular" character from the show(counting Berry as a background pony and DT as a much more minor character), as opposed to all the leaders of rapture, whom we hear about a lot more than we see. I love the effect that this has on the setting, and I wish I saw it more often in fan-fictions.

Poor little AB does not approve of her sister turning to evil.

Sweetie being dead was pretty clear to me, further showing how great the foreshadowing is. Cousin pinkpony is really important, somehow, I just can't figure out how yet. And scotalou was handled brilliantly.

Because my cousin is the daughter of the sister of my mother. Rarity and Twilight are described as being "Like sisters," Rarity created the Little Sisters, and Siren is Twilight's daughter.

7473718

Just because Rarity is worse, doesn't mean Siren is good. That take-down was meant to be brutal, and frankly, just a little cruel.

Also, I did seriously consider ending the story with Siren's last line. "I am good."

7476226

Because Green wasn't a unicorn in the flashbacks. She was born an earth pony and wanted to become a unicorn, something Rarity enabled with her magic. That's why Green's magic is blood red instead of a more appropriate color.

7478966

Siren is, at this point, clearly suffering from severe PTSD. Her actions over the course of the story are becoming increasingly irrational.

7479055

And all it costs them is their free will!

Although man, I really regret not getting to deliver RD's line to Echo: "You said I was a demon wearing the corpse of your girlfriend like a hat. You hoped I died so at least you'd have closure that the mare you loved was dead."

Echo fell for RD when she was RD. Then mantles happened, and RD wasn't RD anymore.

7479697

Berry better pick up that phone because you called it!

dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/mlfw11432_small.png

Siren isn't dumb. She acts dumb at times, but as Rarity said: "You are perfectly capable of employing rational thought, you just rarely choose to do so." Siren is intuitive. She has strong instincts for people and situations and tends to listen to those instincts. In some areas, like reading ponies, that's to her credit since her intuitive judgements are spot on. In other areas, not so much.

Bad word choice on my part. She isn't dumb, but she does make mistakes and misses things. I see a lot of characters who are simply not that intelligent, often because the plot requires them to miss something obvious in order to not be boring. I find myself metaphorically yelling at these characters what they should do, and getting frustrated when they don't. Siren, because of both her flaws and strengths, reads like a character real enough and believable enough that I'm never consciously thinking that she didn't take that action because the plot demanded it. Instead, she made her choice because of who she is. When a character thinks so far below or above me that I can't emphasize with them, they feel like an invented character. When the character comes up with some ideas that I don't, and doesn't come up with some ideas that I do, and shares some ideas with me, they cease to feel like a character in a story and become that much closer to real. Siren accomplishes this better than any other story on fimfiction I can think of.

Look, all I'm saying is, a changeling girlfriend can turn into literally anything you want, and she has to keep you happy and loving so she can eat. This is a smoking hot mare who will never start a fight with you. It's perfect!

pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw9330-mlfw9077-205384.gif

Because my cousin is the daughter of the sister of my mother.

Makes sense.

Just because Rarity is worse, doesn't mean Siren is good. That take-down was meant to be brutal, and frankly, just a little cruel.

Mission accomplished.

Because Green wasn't a unicorn in the flashbacks.

Ahh. If this was ever made clear in the first book I must have forgotten, but it makes sense in retrospect.

And all it costs them is their free will!

Again, is that really that bad? A society with too much free will can't work, because people (and ponies) inevitably use that free will to take away the free will of others. Most of our laws and morality are based on restricting free will, or at least the parts of free will that harm others. You lose the freedom to do terrible things, like murder people, and in exchange you're protected from being murdered. All Fluttershy seems to be doing (and we don't see enough for me to be sure about this) is taking away the freedom for Siren and Co. to do more horrible things, after they all have a history of doing horrible things. Kind of like prison, but nicer.


And finished! I've now completed Siren Song, Daring Do, most of the comments, and all of the blog posts I could find with extra tidbits of story or art. Even all 10 revisions of the Rarity and Siren scene. My final thoughts are phenomenal, across the board. I cannot come up with a single complaint, a single part I disliked or even felt less than excited for. I was on the edge of my seat for the tension, spent countless hours (when I wasn't even reading mind you) trying to figure out the delightfully complicated plot, and had a smile on my face for most of the entire reading. Interspersed by gasps of horror, of course. My lists tells me this was my 1436th story on the site, and both Daring Do and Siren Song have spots in my favorite 10.
I wish I was a popular story reviewer so I could direct tons of people to come here and experience the same joy that I have. I wish I had some sort of helpful criticism, something you did wrong but could do better in future. I wish I had more than one favorite and upvote to give. Alas, all I can give is my most profound and heartfelt thanks. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this masterpiece, and share it with all of us.

I expect I'm done now, with Siren Song. I expect this story to remain in this state as you move on to bigger and better things. I expect I'll get around to finishing every other story you've written, and looking forward to the Far Harbour one coming out whenever it does. I will be leaving this one on my tracking list though, and if it ever does get a continuation, be in in 1 year or 10, I'll be there to read it.

7481717

Bad word choice on my part. She isn't dumb, but she does make mistakes and misses things. I see a lot of characters who are simply not that intelligent, often because the plot requires them to miss something obvious in order to not be boring. I find myself metaphorically yelling at these characters what they should do, and getting frustrated when they don't. Siren, because of both her flaws and strengths, reads like a character real enough and believable enough that I'm never consciously thinking that she didn't take that action because the plot demanded it. Instead, she made her choice because of who she is. When a character thinks so far below or above me that I can't emphasize with them, they feel like an invented character. When the character comes up with some ideas that I don't, and doesn't come up with some ideas that I do, and shares some ideas with me, they cease to feel like a character in a story and become that much closer to real. Siren accomplishes this better than any other story on fimfiction I can think of.

Thank you! :pinkiehappy:

Siren was, as I've said before, based a lot on myself when I was younger. She's not a self-insert, since many of the traits I had back then are either exaggerated, distorted, or in some cases removed outright. But she is really easy for me to empathize with, and to "get in her head" for writing her. It's something I've sometimes struggled with with other original characters I've written since then, but I'm really glad to hear it had a good effect in Siren's case.

Ahh. If this was ever made clear in the first book I must have forgotten, but it makes sense in retrospect.

Nope. Never made clear. Something that's just left implied. :twilightsmile:

Again, is that really that bad? A society with too much free will can't work, because people (and ponies) inevitably use that free will to take away the free will of others. Most of our laws and morality are based on restricting free will, or at least the parts of free will that harm others. You lose the freedom to do terrible things, like murder people, and in exchange you're protected from being murdered. All Fluttershy seems to be doing (and we don't see enough for me to be sure about this) is taking away the freedom for Siren and Co. to do more horrible things, after they all have a history of doing horrible things. Kind of like prison, but nicer.

Do remember, the way that Siren is broken out of the mind control is by Green reminding her that this isn't her. All this sweetness and kindness and loving? Please, Siren. You're a nasty bitch deep down and you know it! And it's true. And Siren breaks out of the mind control.

And then she burns all of Fluttershy's animal friends to death in front of her.

So yeah. Free will may not be the best in Siren's case.

And finished! I've now completed Siren Song, Daring Do, most of the comments, and all of the blog posts I could find with extra tidbits of story or art. Even all 10 revisions of the Rarity and Siren scene.

Oh jeeze. :twilightoops:

...hey, wait. I just noticed a lot of the chapters in Book 2 have the chapter art as a broken link. Have you seen the Book 2 art?

My final thoughts are phenomenal, across the board. I cannot come up with a single complaint, a single part I disliked or even felt less than excited for. I was on the edge of my seat for the tension, spent countless hours (when I wasn't even reading mind you) trying to figure out the delightfully complicated plot, and had a smile on my face for most of the entire reading. Interspersed by gasps of horror, of course. My lists tells me this was my 1436th story on the site, and both Daring Do and Siren Song have spots in my favorite 10.

I wish I was a popular story reviewer so I could direct tons of people to come here and experience the same joy that I have. I wish I had some sort of helpful criticism, something you did wrong but could do better in future. I wish I had more than one favorite and upvote to give. Alas, all I can give is my most profound and heartfelt thanks. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this masterpiece, and share it with all of us.

I am left at a loss as to how best express how happy reading this makes me, and so resort to pony images. Comments like this really do make my day. :twilightsmile:

pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8312-1350572536277626.gif

I expect I'm done now, with Siren Song. I expect this story to remain in this state as you move on to bigger and better things. I expect I'll get around to finishing every other story you've written, and looking forward to the Far Harbour one coming out whenever it does. I will be leaving this one on my tracking list though, and if it ever does get a continuation, be in in 1 year or 10, I'll be there to read it.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :heart:

I'm so glad you enjoyed. Sadly, I do think that's it for the Vision universe, and it'll be awhile before Fallout gets out -- it took me nearly seven months to write Siren Song, remember. I do hope you enjoy the rest of my work in the meanwhile though. And hey! If you want to leave a comment on some of the other stories, I will not object. :twilightsmile:

7483437

...hey, wait. I just noticed a lot of the chapters in Book 2 have the chapter art as a broken link. Have you seen the Book 2 art?

Yes, though I had a rather strange experience with it. So imgur broke it's image links about ~26 weeks ago, shortly after I finished Siren Song. I asked about it, and you said you were waiting "to see if FiMFic gets its own image hosting option first though." So I decided to wait. A week ago I decided I didn't want to wait anymore, so I spent some time trying to find a workaround.
On my computer, I could access the images by right clicking the broken links, and opening them in a new window. After a refresh or two, I could see the lovely image. I don't really like reading on my computer though, I prefer my iPad.
So on my iPad, opening them in a new window wasn't an option (at least not in safari), and was a little too much hassle in chrome. I had to open the image in a new tab, copy the address, close the tab, open a new tab, and paste the address to get it to work. Luckily, I noticed that the images worked in the "download story (.html)" link for whatever reason, so I opened it up and swapped to it every new chapter to see the image. I could have read the whole story like that, but then I'd miss out on all the comments.
However, I noticed that they starting working in the normal fimfiction after I'd been reading for a while. So if I start reading, the image is broken, but after I finished a chapter and went to the next one, it loaded, and so did the next one. If I came back the next day and refreshed a chapter with a loaded image, it broke the image. Don't ask me why. But, hey, it worked!

Login or register to comment