• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 19,443 Views, 800 Comments

The Past is the Future - the_panic



A human escaping from a nuclear holocaust brings change to all of Equestria and a certain librarian.

  • ...
72
 800
 19,443

A/N

Heh, can't believe I've finally finished this. It's even harder to believe that I've been working on this since March! I really never thought I'd get into writing fanfiction, let alone spend this much time doing it, haha. But, I'm glad I did, because it's been a ton of fun.

Honestly, I've had the last two parts ready for a few weeks now, but between getting them edited and then moving back to school from Massachusetts... Let's just say I've been pretty busy!

So, mostly I just want to say thanks to you guys. Thanks for reading this, giving feedback, and keeping the comments section interesting, haha. This has been a lot of fun to write, and has been a large part (along with copious amounts of beer) of keeping me sane during my internship a.k.a. one of the worst summers of my life.

I'd also like to specifically thank Shira, as I have done roughly a thousand times. Your input and critique has gone a long way towards helping me improve my writing, and it's been a hell of a time sitting on the chat on Google Docs while working on this haha. Also, thank you for commissioning that picture of Sam & Twilight at the end from Soapie Solar. It's amazing; you didn't have to do that, but I'm glad you did!

Thanks also to FlowerGirl3765 and De Carabas for some editing work towards the end, I really appreciated your feedback.

Also, I'm a huge fan of music, specifically heavy metal. There were several songs that I listened to in order to get into the right mood in writing parts of this. I'm not going to call this a soundtrack, because it's not, but I've seen other authors do this and I thought it was really cool, and kind of interesting to sort of see/hear what they were thinking and feeling while writing.

I listened to this song quite a bit while writing the scene where Sam and Twilight were on the balcony after their "mock date".

This song wound up on my playlist for that part too, but less for the music and more for the lyrics, (which I'll admit I did have to look up for some parts lol).

I liked listening to this track whenever I was writing about a happy/calm moment, like when Sam was working on the farm, for example.

These songs, I listened to while writing the replicator attack scenes:

I was writing the more depressing parts, like Twilight holed up in her room and her/Sam missing each other in general, while listening to this:

This song in general inspired a bit of my main idea for this story, since the song is about a guy who becomes immortal and outlives everyone he knows and eventually the earth itself. Plus, I like the way that the song sounds optimistic and melancholy simultaneously.

So anyway, those are some of the songs I enjoyed listening to while writing this whole thing.

I sincerely hope you guys have enjoyed this story of mine. It was a blast to write, and it's been fun talking to you guys in the comments.

I can't say for certain when I'll get started on a follow-up/sequel to this story, but I can say for sure that I do intend to write one. Before that, though, there are a few one-shots that I'd like to play with. Nothing as serious as this, but I kind of want to take a break from these characters for a while before I try to write a sequel to this. Whenever that is, though, I hope to see you all there!

-the_panic

Comments ( 224 )

1098321
Haha, yep.

God I love electromagnetics.

First! Nope, can't do that otherwise I'll get banned. If I'm banned I can't edit/pre-read. Oh well! :pinkiehappy: Your very welcome, dear sir. :twilightsmile:

1098331
Be sure to re-read the Epilogue, I included a picture in there that wasn't in the copy I sent you for prereading!

I will read this because the feature box description ended with sam and his pe.

This has been a great story, I came across this little gem when I was serching through the archieves and found it really interesting and have spent a lot of time reading it.

1098421
Thanks!

1098415
Troll away, sir, I'm from the deepest, darkest depths of the Internet. Many have tried to rustle my jimmies, none have succeeded.
As for the magic bit, all I can say is that Sam is not a physicist. Besides, I planned for this to be more about the characters. A followup story idea I'm thinking about will focus more on the science fiction aspects of things, including magic.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." So, if ponies somehow evolved some advanced abilities naturally, (which I barely implied in this story), they may not know anything else to call it BESIDES magic.

1098341 Gotcha! I just skipped the last chapter and the epilogue so thanks for letting me know. :pinkiehappy:

1098463 you are welcome, for you deserve it

This has been a very good story and deserves something special.........maybe the continued adventures of Sam and Twilight.......maybe a little Sam and Twilight......twins? Still... a very good story and my favorite....a happy ending, keep up the good work.:moustache::moustache::moustache:

1098781
Thanks! Yeah, I've already decided that at some point I wanna write a followup to this. Just, I need a break from writing for a while lol. This story was 5 months in the making, after all, heh.

A sequel. You must write one

1098375

I won't lie, it sounded like it had potential as well.

Then I got to where he met the ponies and... I approve. It made sense, which is a damn good job compared to most other first contact. You have no idea how much I appreciate details like eye placement on the head. I am now favoriting it without even finishing chapter 1.

1098909
Heh. Thanks. I hope you enjoy the rest of it, too.

1098950
Thanks!

Glad you liked the picture, my main editor Shira couldn't resist commissioning a picture for this haha.

This fic was bloody beautiful.

All my 'stache's for you! :moustache:

1099355
There is a part where Sam mentions that this was an abandoned project, because they ran into similar issues. There's also a part where Sam states that he's "cleaning" the database to avoid any dangerous/unstable technology. I pretty clearly explained that they "recovered" this from a partially-corrupted of the archive that Sam had thought was unreadable. Everything will make sense if you keep reading. My editor and I put a lot of thought into this part of the story, don't worry.

And honestly, I think nanites of that sophistication are perfectly believable, given that Sam's people managed TIME TRAVEL. His people are quite advanced.

1099464
One would also think that a society advanced enough to manage time travel would take that sort of thing into consideration.

>RE: Hoarse/soar
Haha. You, I like.

Ah, the satisfaction of a good story finished, mixed with the disappointment that it's over...

Time to read it again!:twilightsmile:

Limitless props to the_panic for seeing this all the way through, and putting up with my incessant whining and critiques. Also thanks to all the editors at the end there, I appreciate you guys for helping him finish his project and you have my eternal thanks.

We'll have to talk again panic, I miss our conversations already :fluttercry:

1099654
You're right on about the evolution bit.

But, it would also take an extraordinary amount of time for nearly all features of human civilization to be erased from the landscape. One of the most sure-fire ways for that to happen would be from subduction of the tectonic plates and volcanic activity. That's such a slow process that it could very well take a cosmic amount of time to happen.

>Wrong about time travel
What?

1099695
Heh, we'll have to add each other on some sort of IM service or something. Either that, or you could start your own project and then endure *MY* incessant whining and critiques.

"I like it!" - Random Person
"Chip-chip-cherio, this was quite the chaming story my good chap!" -The Queen
"PONIES! PONIES EVERYWHERE!" -Jimbo
"Well. I know I read this before it was published and all, but I felt like it was the most awesomest thing ever! And I'm soooo jealous of Twilight! Oh Oh! That reminds me! Don't tell them about the surprise baby shower! Twilight doesn't know she's pregnant yet!" -Pinkie Pie
"What are thou doing in our quarters?! GUARDS!" -Princess Luna

"It is good to see this story end. It has been quite the journey, both for the protagonist and the reader. To say that this is one of the best HiE stories written so far would not be an exaggeration. From the premise to the promise, this story has done things in a way that has surprised and exhillarated us to no end. Through the ups and downs of the budding relationship, to Sam's struggle with fitting in, combined with the drama of a terrible doomsday device released on the poor unsuspecting Equestrians, this story has carried the readers on without like. Personally I have nothing but praise for this story, and while it would be fun to see a sequel, the story ends in such a way that it is in no way necessary. The author might find it strange that I wrote 'it's good to see this story end' all the way up there, but it is not meant as a negative thing. The absolutely best stories are those that end, and when they end on such a happy note, that is even better. Many stories start promising, but peter out as they get too long, and the author loses interest. Ending a story is never easy, and it is not always done well. This one pretty much does it all, from beginning to end, in the best possible manner. 5/5 Stars. Try the pastrami, it is delicious and affordable." -Sixpence

1099739

Ahhhhahahahaha that is one of the funniest comments I've read in a while. And thank you, I'm glad you liked it. As I've said, I do plan on writing a followup later on. How much later on, no idea. I need a break from writing lol.

Side note: Twilight isn't preggers yet in this story hahaha...

Make Sequel!!!!!!!! Or I will hunt you down ands destroy you!!!! Now make Sequel!!!!!:flutterrage:

1099761
I'm looking forward to seeing it :3

Oh I know, but don't tell them yet anyway! I'm serious! It'll totally ruin the surprise!

You know that's something that we never answered, or if I asked it I don't remember. Was Sam ever going to take a pony name? Maybe give human last names to the kids?

1100233
We did discuss it, and we decided it'd be ridiculous to have him adopt a new name. As for potential offspring, who knows lol

1100494
Oh well. Can't please everybody.

1101064

You obviously have never been around pre-teens/teenagers for extended periods of time :rainbowlaugh:. They are all food centric (well and play centric but that's true of kids everywhere).

Also keep in mind that you depending on how you interpret Twilight's relationship with Spike Sam is coming in and either dating his mom or his older sister. Either way it doesn't take much to interpret Spike as being possessive, just like a young child would be.

1101402
No, it actually never came up. If I were in Sam's position, I'd have just assumed that the marks were just a cultural thing, like tattoos. I wouldn't have even questioned it until someone, like the CMC, made a big deal out of it.

I probably coulda made it more clear about Sweetie Belle, but I didn't write it such that Sam was unfamiliar with her. The fillies may have been unfamiliar with him though, since they hadn't yet seen him as a pony.

Well, this fic certainly was a treat. I'm glad that you managed to finish this excellent piece of work. I must admit I was grinning happily throughout the last bits of the story. I'm always a sap for romantic endings haha. I'll definitely look forward to the sequel! Great job and good luck in the future!

1101293
Thanks! That's basically what I was going to say, but you said it better than I would have, haha.

I can and must honestly say that I await the next in this series with bated breath.

The entire story was simply amazing, and held promise and fulfilled it in full.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

:fluttercry: I cry that it is over
:yay: I cheer its greatness
:ajsmug: And I await the next.

ARGHHHH!!!! THIS. IS. THE. BEST. THING. EVER!!!!!!:raritywink:


but seriously what you have here is gold........ and you made it so that there can be made a sequel!:pinkiehappy:

1102520
And he would have gladly done so, if Twilight had decided that she was against him changing. He did say "But don’t worry, if you don’t think this is the best way to go, I won’t do it."

The whole point was that he had some good reasons for wishing to change, but he was making it clear that whether it happened or not, it had no bearing on his feelings for her.

1102540
Thank you!

For one thing.... I HATE YOU FOR DEPRIVING ME OF MY SLEEP, AS I HAVE STAYED UP TO FINISH READING AT TWO THIRTY IN THE MORNING! Alright, this story is a work of genius; I normally get immersed in stories that I find to be awesome, but you have had my attention through a pounding headache and deprived me of well deserved sleep..... for that, be thankful, because I absolutely LOVE this story. I am one of those people that can spot literature cliche's from miles away, and though there were moments that I could tell were coming, you had me on the edge of my seat, wondering what was going to happen. If I were to give you mustaches, the comment would be stripped from the sheer amount I would have given. LIKED, FAVED, AND FOLLOWED!

1102575
lol. Thanks. Don't hold your breath for a sequel for too long, though. I plan on taking a break from this stuff for a little while. Either that, or the next thing I write is going to be a little shorter. I don't know if I have it in me for another 5-month writing binge anytime soon, haha...

1102583
Genius? Not sure I'd go that far but thanks for the kind words all the same haha. And really, go get some sleep! I'm glad you like my writing but I'd totally go take some Excedrin and hit the sack if it were me lol. Hell, I feel great but it's nearly 3 AM here so... I know at least one person who's going to bed soon :rainbowlaugh:

I normally don't "do" human pony romances, even after reading a couple fics where it happened.
But i have to say sir, that this story was one of the best i have read, definitely in my top ten.
Considering i can sometimes read Fanfiction for nearly 6-7 hours a day that's nothing to sneeze at. :yay:

1103066>>1103151>>1104021>>1104142

Haha. Glad you guys are liking it.

Annnd... you turned him into a pony in the end. Damn it, saw it coming. Sorry, good story otherwise.
:facehoof:

1104610
Soapie Solar, yeah

SOAPIE-Solar?! CELES-DAMMIT! GAH! I BUCKING KNEW THAT! Why the hell couldn't I remember?! *Goes off to fume for a few hours*

In all serialness, I thought this fic was AMAZING! I can't wait for the sequel, if there is going to be one, and I've already told Deleteh to take a look at this fic, since I think this is deserving of the PMW Award! Here's hopin!

Login or register to comment