• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 1,174 Views, 50 Comments

Foundations of Love - Flint Sparks



The Great Oak library has fallen in love with Carousel Boutique.

  • ...
3
 50
 1,174

Emerald leaves.

Why must I feel this way? Even now I can remember when I had fallen in love. Entirely, utterly, and devotedly in love. My love, as many love stories happen, went unnoticed and unrequited as the years passed by. Who am I but a lowly, withdrawn presence? My power may seem vast and mighty, having to host many beasts and critters, but my inner workings are subtle and quiet by nature. I cannot tell her how I feel, for I would risk rejection. She is beautiful, generous, and a blessing from the greatest power to walk on this earthly plane. Yes, it is true.

I am in love with Carousel Boutique.

Perhaps I humble myself a little much, for I do hold all knowledge this quaint town of Ponyville acquires. From common knowledge to forbidden secrets, I contain within my hold the wisdom of ponies and ponies hence. I may be meek and shy, but I contain great power within. Power that a capable pony could grasp for herself. If only I was capable of molding the magical energy within, then perhaps I could impress my sweet, dear Boutique.

I remember the day I fell in love with her as clearly as I can remember my days as a sapling. Clear as skies ten seconds after the rainbow pegasus decides to cease her sloth. Bright as the legendary Sonic Rainboom.

When she was constructed and the last embellishment was placed on her, I found my branches quivering with strange delight. An alien feeling to a building, if I may say so myself. My leaves turned green, startling many ponies in the fall season. When she was built, I couldn’t stop photosynthesizing in delight. According to a few books, particularly the ones that adult ponies tried to hide for their secret indulgence, I was in love.

In my naivety, I confided in my best friend: Sugarcube Corner. She was the eccentric type, always delighted to see ponies smile and hold parties within her walls. We had a brief fling in the past, even coming as far as to call each other ‘dear.’ Unfortunately, all good things come to pass and we parted as dearly beloved friends. Or so I thought.

The day after I had shared my secret, Sugarcube Corner went under my roots and asked my dearly beloved to gaze at the skies with her. My anger was immeasurable as the two buildings watched the cloudless skies together; of course they could not move close, but it’s the thought that counts. It was an intimate sight, and one I despised.

Sensing my calm storm, and against my pleas, the birds resting upon my branches pecked at the sugary building, bringing forth her wrath. Thus began a small war; skirmish after skirmish between birds and the building ensued. Many of my devoted followers fell ill to sugary toxin. Thanks to the butter pegasus, they recovered (thank the builders).

Sensing our feud, Carousel Boutique turned from Sugarcube Corner and returned to her own merry ways. Not only did I lose my friend, and she lose love, but I lost any chance I had with the refined establishment.

In my woe, my leaves turned golden and fell, troubling the mare and dragon that lay within. Several ponies examined me, running their hooves through my shivering bark, to find my lack of will to live and revive me.

One fateful night, something tragic commenced. I noticed from my foundation that a small, spandex-clad pony sneaking near Carousel Boutique. It was when he retrieved a brick from his saddlebag that I realized his nefarious intent. As he lifted the brick in his hoof, I tried to warn Carousel Boutique. I desperately tried to awaken her, warn her, save her from the villainy about to take place.

Something in me changed as he brought down the brick to the window. Something inside… burned. As a tree, a fear of fire is only natural. The sensation of burning is hellish. This burning, however, felt… good.

It was anger.

My leaves, one by one, turned from yellow to red to symbolize my anger. My branches shaked in rage as I watched the ruffian break the window of my beloved. As if to answer my will, the wind began to roar. The, no, my birds flew off my branches as my leaves were blown into the wind.

I watched with satisfaction as my leaves, in the wind, enveloped the ruffian and blinded him as birds attacked him. Guity smugness filled my being as I watched medical ponies drag him off in the morning, a wreck of what he used to be; whatever could remain of a pony of that evil, that is.

It was no secret Carousel Boutique was a hopeless romantic (so was I, but I digress), but I refused to brag of my accomplishment. Not only would I be met with skepticism and ridicule, but exploiting a small personal achievement to unfairly win the heart of your beloved was a dishonorable deed.

Weeks passed as that fateful night was left behind in memory. I went about my ways, housing birds, ponies, and knowledge alike. It was my duty, my destiny, and one I was happy with.

Awhile later, Sugarcube Corner began to speak to me again. She apologized for her rude behavior in our disputes and came to understand the birds acted on their own free will, and I forgave her for stealing the heart of my beloved. Once again, we became friends.

Curiously enough, once Sugarcube Corner and I made up, Apple Barn conversed with us. At first it was friendly conversation, but slowly turned more intimate. Soon enough, it was revealed to me, and me alone, that the barn was in love with Sugarcube Corner.

This put me in a corner (no pun intended). While my grudge was long gone, there was a rift between Sugarcube Corner because of our entangled past. Using the wisdom contained in the tomes within my vault, I decided to transcend my personal feelings. With time and effort, I managed to convince Sugarcube Corner to give Apple Barn a try.

To this day, they’re happily together and have a shed to their name. Why Fluttershy refuses to let anypony enter will forever escape me and my vast arsenal of knowledge.

Today marks a new page in my story. A fitting metaphor for an immense library. Curiously enough, a message was sent to me by a cat. I was used to birds and the occasional squirrel, but never a cat.

The cat purred and rubbed against me as it passed along the message.

Dear my beloved Oak,

Since the day we met, and especially since your heroics-

Perhaps I should save that for another day. Until then, I have a boutique to woo!

Good day, my little ponies.

~Great Oak, Library.

Author's Note:

Yes, I ship buildings now.

Comments ( 50 )

goddammit, you actually did it

3397842 Alright fine. Story after this next one is gonna be that RariTwi I promised. :ajbemused:

I..but..what?

3397871
I've been waiting. :twilightangry2: :raritydespair:

3397874
Sometimes I wonder too. Try not to think about it too much. :twilightoops:
I ship inanimate objects..?

3397878 Well..to each their own. I just...wow..it was cute. Why was building shipping cute? Am I a Sears catalog now?

3397885 Hey, Sears X Costco OTP

3397893 pfft Sears loves Sam's Club and his daughter Walmart duh...

3397895 But Walmart is a bitch. She's like the Diamond tiara of stores, only much less elegant.

3397904 -snorts- She isn't a hussy like Publix though

3397905 Joke's on you! We don't have a Publix up here >:D

But we have a Winco, which is a similar type of whore

3397927 lol how far north?

3397929 The innermost of the four Galilean moons, Io

I don't know how close to Jupiter you are...:unsuresweetie:

But who will love Fluttershy's Cottage? Could be be that it is in a long distance relationship with Zecora's Hut?

3397951
Didn't Fluttershy's cottage have an affair with Town Hall? :raritydespair:

3397878 I've shipped Rarity with a robot in one of my stories, so I have some idea of how you're feeling.

With that said, :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:.

I always thought the Great Library would be a sucker for the majesty of Canterlot Palace. Who knew that cakes and trees get along so well?

3398005
Canterlot Palace is currently courting Cloudsdale. :rainbowlaugh: Didn't you hear? :rainbowkiss:

3398007 Are you saying Rainbow Dash's House lied to me? :raritydespair: Los Pegasus and Cloudsdale aren't together!? :pinkiegasp: Oh, the horror! The scandal!

This got a thumbs up on concept alone.

It got a fave for execution. :twilightsmile:

I should get started on my Applejack's Truck fic. :pinkiecrazy:

3398219
Oh boy, are you behind! Los Pegasus has been seeing Manehatten the entire time! :pinkiegasp:

You shipped buildings.

Now, I've shipped the Friendship Express (the train) with the Tunnel to Canterlot, but this sir, this was glorious. If I may suggest? Ship the Hot Air Balloon Twilight uses with Pinkie Pie's helicopter bicycle :3

3398477
Yes, yes I did. Everyone already ships Tom and Bloomberg, so...

Intriguing. I smell a love triangle with the Gala carriage.

3398919
Oh man, that's brilliant.

So, Gala Carriage one day spots Hot Air Balloon while out for a stroll. Being a land vehicle all its life, it's super impressed. Hot Air Balloon looks at her and is super fond of the regaility. Thinks she's really cool, but truly has eyes on Helicopter Bicycle because like Hot Air Balloon, it requires a pony to operate and they fly.

Bicycle is interested in Gala cart because Gala Cart has four wheels instead of two. They all want to love the other, but the other loves another. Bicycle has a chance to chat with Princess Celestia's Chariot one day when Pinkie Pie goes to Canterlot for Mega Muffin Delivery Day. Golden Chariot imparts wisdom that if they cannot get along, none of them will have a chance at love. Fearing losing Gala Cart, Bicycle gets a chance to speak with Balloon and Gala Cart when they go to see Twilight Sparkle off (Cloudsdale research or sumpthan'). gala Cart is there because Rarity hurt her leg and she always travels in style.

They all come to the conclusion that they could all love one another and be triple marriage. It's not as if there's a rule against it.

The story ends with Spike finding a "baby sized jetpack" in their library.

3399078
Spike's Jetpack Adventures? :pinkiegasp:

This... this is beautiful...:raritydespair:

3401205
Hey, been awhile. Glad you liked it. :raritywink:

3401777

Indeed it has:moustache:

Indeed it has...

I now officially ship Golden Oaks Library and Carousel Boutique.

3405024
Weren't you the one who suggested it? :rainbowkiss:

3405028

Yes, but I was hesitant at the idea. Now I see its pure gold.:raritystarry:

I came here to riff, and I have only one thing to say.


Building clopfic. :trollestia:

Not only do you ship them, but you do a stunning job with it....Um..more?:twilightsheepish:

....why did I read this? First RD x Sink, now Carousel Boutique x Golden Oaks Library? :twilightoops:

3460609
At least two buildings make sense. A pony and an inanimate object doesn't.

:rainbowlaugh: This is glorious! I love crack ships!

Oh boy. This is the place and time where everything culminates.

SugarcubeBoutique is OTP:heart:

3633616
But that isn't canon-
Oh, I see what you did there. :trollestia: Shipping on a shipfic, you. :rainbowkiss:

flint, i have alot to learn about trees now. and shipping trees .~.

good story thought

:rainbowlaugh:

To this day, they’re happily together and have a shed to their name.

I died. Right there. A perfect line, right out of the blue.

You're going to have to work to make something to top Skywriter's Shipping Sickness, though. :pinkiehappy:

:rainbowlaugh:
That was fantastic.

tinyurl.com/llaz5ct

I went digging to find the oldest stories in the sorting folder and found this one, and I was not disappointed in what I read (aside from a strange lack of "wut?" on my part). It's been added to Pony Kiss-Kiss (let's ignore that these aren't ponies being shipped)

It was either start on a chapter of something or read this.

I'm relieved that I chose the latter. Maybe I'll write something I wasn't expecting to write as a consequence. This story was a breath of fresh air. :rainbowkiss:

Fluttershy would approve of your tree romance story.:yay::yay::yay:

I just read a story of unrequited love between two buildings.

What has my life come to?

6666914 I wrote a story about two buildings' unrequited love.

You tell me.

Login or register to comment