• Published 8th Oct 2013
  • 2,216 Views, 30 Comments

Once in a Lifetime - dramatic_spoon



Flash finds a mysterious old crush.

  • ...
11
 30
 2,216

The Longest Time

“Flash, what are you staring at?” Spiked Flail nudged his shift mate.

“What?” a gamboge pegasus in royal guards armor turned his attention away from Princess Cadance greeting a group of ponies.

“I said, what are you staring at?” the unicorn nudged Flash again.

“Nothing, Spike.”

“Don’t give me that,” Flail chuckled, “I can see you staring at the Yellow one.”

“No, looks too much like my sister,” Flash shook his head.

“…The orange one?”

“No.”

“…The Pink one?”

“Hell no,” Flash spat back, “She’s the crazy one.”

“You’ve heard of them before?”

“Dude, that’s Captain Shining Armor’s sister and her friends. You know, the Elements of Harmony?”

“…No shit? Really?” Flail quickly removed his helmet, revealing a gunmetal grey mane. The unicorn licked his hoof, and made a feeble attempt at styling his mane.

“…What are you doing?” Flash’s eyebrow rose.

“I’m going to go talk to the blue one,” Flail grinned as he placed his helmet back on.

“…Are you serious?”

“Hey, she’s cute. I like the sporty ones.”

As Cadance and Twilight left the group, Flail trotted over to Rainbow Dash.

“’Scuse me, Miss?”

“Yeah?” Dash turned to face Flail.

“Name’s Spiked Flail, Royal Guard,” Flail grinned, “I was wondering… if you had any plans for tonight. See, I know this great little hole-in-the-wall that has excellent cider…”

“Cider?” Dash grinned at the thought of that, “I’m not gonna turn an offer like that down.”

“Great! I get off at about five, so… I guess we can just meet outside the castle?”

“You got it. I’m Rainbow Dash by the way,”

“I know. I mean… yeah,” Flail’s grinned turned from confident to embarrassed, “Some of the others might tag along, any of your friends interested?”

“I’ll let’m know, but I don’t think any of them’ll come along,” Dash shrugged, “See you later Flail.”

“You too.”

Dash hurried after the others, while Flail made his way back to Flash. Flash rolled his eyes at the massive grin of his friend’s face.

“Good going there, Tiger,” Flash snarked.

“Hey it worked,” Flail shrugged, “You’re welcomed to come along, you know. Probably’ll ask Morning Star too.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“…I don’t get you, you know that?” Flail shook his head, “You never go out on dates, and you never show any interest in mares.”
“Or stallions,” Flail quickly added, “I mean if you’re into that sort of thing, I totally get it, dude. I mean…”

“I’m not gay, Flail.” Flash frowned, “It’s… it’s kind of complicated.”

“Well then uncomplicate it, dude.”

“…Fine.” Flash sat down and removed his helmet, “It wasn’t that long ago. Must have been when we just got accepted to the Guard…”

---


A younger Flash Sentry stood in a darkened park, wooden practice spear in hoof. Breathing deeply the pegasus began; a thrust forward, followed by pulling the spear back and dodging an imaginary blow. Flash repeated the movement before spinning the spear around and slashing an imaginary foe across the face with its tip. Spinning the spear around again, he jabbed the blade behind him, stabbing another imaginary foe in the hoof. Using the point as a fulcrum, he leapt back, and performed another stab.

Satisfied, Flash relaxed, taking a seat on the ground and placing the fake spear next to him.

“Impressive,” a female voice called out.

Flash leapt to his feet, spear in hoof.

“Wait, wait, wait… I’m not here to fight.”

“Then why don’t you come out where I can see you?” Flash responded.

An Azure blue unicorn mare trotted into view. The light from the few lanterns in the area threw shadows over her, obscuring some of her features. The newcomer chuckled at Flash.

“And what exactly do you think you can do with that?” the mare chuckled. Before Flash could respond, the spear was torn out of his grip by the mare’s aura.

“I was practicing.”

“For what?”

“For when I join the guard,” Flash stuttered.

“The Guard?” the mare chuckled, “A dream that so many have, and so few actually achieve.”

“What would you know about it?” Flash shot back.

“Nothing.” The mare smirked as she moved closer to him. Flash flinched as she brought her face mere inches from his, “But I do imagine it takes more guts that that.”

“Well…yeah, bu-”

Flash’s response was cut off as the mare brought her lips to his in a kiss. Flash’s shock wore off and he managed to push her away.

“What are you doing?”

“What does it look like?” the mare grinned, “You are pretty cute.”

“This… no one’s ever said that about me before,” Flash admitted.

“Heh.” The mare chuckled as she backed off, “They don’t know what they’re missing.”

The mare turned tail, slowly dragging her tail against the side of Flash’s face.

“Well then, I suppose it’s best to be off,” she flashed a sly grin as she levitated a small money pouch into the air. Flash’s eyes widened in recognition, and he quickly began to pat himself down.

“Hey! That’s….”

“I think it’s a fair trade, a few bits for some kind words,” the mare laughed, “Good bye.”

“Wait!” Flash shouted at her, “What’s your name?”

“Once in a Lifetime,” the mare chuckled, “Let’s leave it at that.”

Flash watched as the mare vanished into the shadows.

---

“…And that’s the whole story.” Flash concluded.

“So you got ripped off by a pretty face and pretty words,” Flail shrugged, “It happens, Dude.”

Flash’s gaze went to the ground, “That’s not it. There’s…something about her. Something that I can’t forget no matter how hard I try.” Flash looked up at the unicorn guard, “I’ve spent a lot of my time trying to figure out who she is but…” the pegasus sighed, “I can’t figure it out.”

“Dude, everyone’s got their first love, and hell, not a whole lot of folks end up with them.” Flail patted the other stallion on the back, “Tell you what, You’re coming with me and Star. Hopefully Dash brings a couple of her friends and one of them’ll take a liking to you. What do ya say?”

“…Sure, why not.” Flash gave his partner a shallow smile.

“Attaboy,” Flail grinned and slapped Flash’s back, “Five, don’t forget it.”

---
The Rising Sun

“You really think you can out drink me, Dash?” Flail grinned.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash never backs down from a challenge!” the mare shot back, “Gimme a Black and Tan and keep’m coming.”

“Same for me, Rocky,” Flail motioned to the bartender as he began to fill up two glasses.

“Flail, this better not end in you throwin’ up all over my bartop again,” the bartender grimaced as he finished the drinks off and slid them to the two.

“I promise. Ready set go!”

Rarity rolled her eyes as Dash and Flail began to chug their drinks.
“How vulgar. Now then, Mister…Morning Star was it? Tell me more…”

Flash rolled his eyes as Rarity and the Earth pony continued their conversation.

“Lively crowd you got there, Flash.” The bartender chuckled as he slid another drink at Rainbow Dash.

“I suppose so,” Flash shrugged as he finished his drink, “Another when you get the chance.”

“Bartender!” the only other occupant of the bar called out, “Another Bourbon.”

“Right, give me a moment miss,” the bartender set another drink in front of Flash, “I swear kid, you’re the only one who orders these damn Horse’s necks.”

“Sorry about that.”

“Bartender! More Bourbon!” the pony called out again.

“We need more here!” Dash and Flail both yelled as they smashed their glasses on the bartop.

“Flash, I’m gonna need your help. Take the Bourbon to her while I take care of this.” The Bartender jerked his head at Dash and Flail, “Next round’s on the house for you.”

“You got it Rocky.”

“Thanks kid.”

The Bartender quickly set a glass of ice and a bottle of bourbon on the counter in front of Flash. The pegasus sighed as he picked both of them up, along with his own drink and headed over to the table where the other pony sat.

“Finally.” The mare grumbled.

“Sorry about that Miss, my friends are taking up his attention,” Flash apologized as he poured out a glass of bourbon for the mare.

The mare snatched up the glass with her aura and took a mouthful of the liquor.

“….Once in a Lifetime, Huh?” Flash grinned.

The mare spat out her mouthful of bourbon, splattering it all over the chair in front of her.

“I... I have no idea what you’re talking about.” She stuttered.

“Oh don’t give me that,” Flash chuckled as he took a seat, “I didn’t forget that night. How do you forget the first time someone compliments you? Even if she did take your bits when she did it.”

“I… I was not in the best of situations at that time,” the mare stuttered.

“It’s fine. That happened and now it’s over with,” Flash interrupted her, “But… but it’s hard to forget that strange new feeling. The thought that maybe this is the right pony.”

The other pony fell silent.

“What do you want?”

“Well, I’d like to buy you a drink. Then maybe ask you out some time,” Flash paused, “and get a name to go along with all that. I don’t think you want me calling you ‘Once in a Lifetime’ all the time.”

“Then take up a seat and buy me that drink,” the mare laughed, “You sound like a corny romance novel, but… I like those.”

“I’m Flash Sentry, by the way. What can I call you?”

The mare paused as Flash took a seat next to her.

“Trixie Lulamoon.” The mare smiled.

Comments ( 30 )

And Trixie may ask herself, well, how did Trixie get here?

Who knows how much further we'll go on?
Maybe I'll be sorry when you're gone...

3320178

Flash'll take his chances.
They've forgotten how nice romance is.

Comment posted by dramatic_spoon deleted Oct 8th, 2013

3320231 he has meant to call her for THE LONGEST TIME!!! :pinkiehappy:

I liked it. Short and cute. :twilightsmile:

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Memories bring back memories, people.

Emotional Memories.:trixieshiftright::heart:

“…The orange one?”
“No.”

Not checking out Applejack? What are you? Gay?

“…No shit? Really?” Flail quickly removed his helmet, revealing a gunmetal grey mane. The unicorn licked his hoof, and made a feeble attempt at styling his mane.
“…What are you doing?” Flash’s eyebrow rose.
“I’m going to go talk to the blue one,” Flail grinned as he placed his helmet back on.

While on duty? I don't think so.
There's romance of him and Sunset Shimmer, and Twilight, why not Trixie and finish up the Trio of Unicorns of Win?

Comment posted by Cheer deleted Jan 26th, 2015

Saw the chapter title, and all I could think was...

6885428
3321912

Did you forget you made that post?

6886024 been a while... over 2 years ago lol

Ok, read the fic, and loved it!:pinkiehappy:
Simple and short, yet excellently written and pleasing to the reader's spirit.

Hi there.

I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much, I've produced an audiobook version.

Flash and Trixie? No way!:pinkiegasp:

7007553

Oh wow, that's fantastic.

Thank you.

Goddamit Flash! You already have Twilight...or at least your human counterpart does...so stay away from Trixie! :pinkiecrazy:
She's MINE!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

What a great ship! I just wish it had gone somewhere. :C

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

7090581
Yeah. You just kind of tell us why Flash was attracted to her and have them meet up a second time, the end. :/

7091031

In retrospect, yeah I could have done better.

I'm gonna mention good ol' Spiked Flail in a short story of mine. Kapish? :trollestia:

7163395

Sure.
gimme a link to it.

Just listened to Scribber's audio version. Cute. Very cute. Was hoping for a bit more, but a nice tease. :raritywink:

I remember this. Still really like it.

Yessss. I see I am not the only one who enjoys a good crackship. :trixieshiftright:

Login or register to comment