• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 27,147 Views, 186 Comments

Twilight Sparkle picks up Human Military Com-Trans - dominatusimperator



The girls decide to listen in on alien transmissions. But will they like what they hear?

  • ...
38
 186
 27,147

Propaganda

Twilight turned the knob again. It had been a few hours since she had last checked the radio. It had broadcast the speech from a national leader, who claimed that “America” would never be broken. It was delivered with a great deal of pain in the voice of whoever was speaking. Twilight thought she understood, but was certainly irritated when this was repeated on loop. Now there was something new.

A heavily accented voice shouted over the radio.

“Comrade Americans, do not believe the lies that your evil capitalist government feeds you. We have not come with malice upon our hearts. We are bringing to you red freedom from your fascist government, which treats you like slaves so that you will produce weapons for their unjust war against the motherland! They have exploited you all your lives and now it is time for the proletariat to rise up against the foul bourgeoisie oppressors. We have already liberated much of Europe, and they have welcomed us with open arms, contrary to what your wicked and greedy capitalist leaders have deceivingly stated. We beg that you do the same, Comrades. We are here on your interests, even though you do not believe so.”

Twilight recognized propaganda when she heard it. This was likely a message being broadcast by the occupying forces. It seemed that the war was politically motivated, and that defamation was a tactic that this side was especially fond of. The accent held a hint of Stalliongrad, Twilight thought, which was odd to her. Why were there so many linguistic similarities in a message from half a galaxy away? It was a massively confusing question. Were there similar evolutionary chains? Was the planet also populated by ponies?

The voice droned on.

“Remember, American comrades, although you are now part of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, there are many of you who still hold sympathies for your foolish capitalist government. Therefore, martial law is in effect. The Red Army is your friend, and know what is best for you. If they ask you for aid, you must give it to them: it is for your safety. The cowards in Washington will try to bomb you now that you are citizens of the glorious Soviet Union! Rise up against the oppressors! Remember that anyone trying to leave Soviet territory will be punished severely for the greater good of international socialism and the freedom of all peoples.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, familiar to a degree with such drivel. While not as horrifying, the Changeling attack on Canterlot featured massive amounts of propaganda, reassuring the native populace that no harm would arrive to them. Lies. The Changelings drained many of them dry. They weren’t dead, but they certainly were nothing more than mere husks of themselves.

“Thank your comrades in the glorious Frontal Aviation Forces for protecting you from capitalist death squads. They have branded you traitors to their self-serving and self righteous popularity contest agendas.”

From what Twilight could tell from the “American president’s” speech, this was also a lie. He had prayed openly before his own nation for the safe deliverance of those trapped in the “Soviet” occupation zones. Twilight wondered if anyone really believed what the radio screamed was true.

“Because of Capitalist blockades, food has now been rationed. Bear this well comrades, all people must make sacrifices for the good of society. Remember that we are your friends, your liberators. Do not fear us. Love us, adore us. For we love freedom just as you do. Resist the Fascisti! Resist the capitalists. Glory to Communism! Glory to the Soviet Union! This is a great day for the Motherland!”

The loop was about to begin again. There was a crackle of static, and the accented voice was suddenly replaced by a clear, unaccented one.

“Fuck the commies! Resist for freedom and democracy! God bless America!”

The radio cut off.

Author's Note:

This just popped into my head. Communism goes hand-in-hand with propaganda like this.

Comments ( 63 )

You are on a role sir. Now how about that ww2 rainbow dash story:pinkiehappy:

5375330 It's a good game though. Quite enjoyable.

Psst. Your story is marked complete.

5375597 It is complete. These are just bonus chapters that wouldn't work well standalone.

Sarged #5 · Dec 13th, 2014 · · 2 ·

YES... YES HAHAHA. FUCK THE COMMIES!!
Awsome line.

I'm guessing after this, Twilight will research and see if there were other similarities between their worlds, like if there's actually similar concepts of government in her world.

'Murica! Fuck yeah!

5375970 Indeed? What was wrong with it?

5376101 I'm not sure what you mean I don't feel It came off like that? You must understand propaganda does not take advantage of order, it takes advantage of disorder. Propaganda is most powerful when there is the unknown people begin to distrust their own governing forces and begin to give into the lies not because it's right but because it's easy, so propaganda can say the craziest things and people can still believe it because they're afraid and tired and fatigue makes cowards of us all.

5376101 You're right. Thank you for the comment. I will keep it in mind the next time I write propaganda.

So....they can get broadcasts from far in the past meaning they have a connection of some kind. Would not Twilight try to open this connection so an Alicorn princess or two could try to resolve a species struggle with no background knowledge of the world.

5376217 Yes I have heard of MKUltra, however this isn't a good example because it is in a controlled environment where substance and force could be administered to elicit a response this is manipulation through torture not propaganda. In a realistic scenario you cannot fabricate lies when the people are not already restless when the aggressor caused the unrest subtle manipulations are not realistic not in the grand scheme. Every single example of propaganda has not been subtle it has been advertised in large bold letters exaggerated and coloured for all to see.

In modern times propaganda hasn't changed it has just became less acceptable and less obvious however it's still just as bold and just as noticeable if you look beyond mainstream media. If torture teaches us anything it's that under extreme duress an individual is willing to do anything to escape that pain.

The bottom line is propaganda works at its best when people are angry, scared, or hopeless when individuals and groups will cling to anything if it means an escape, crafting an elaborate ruse is too thoughtful and is easily combated with simple discouragements by the reciprocate. Simple propaganda that requires little thought is effective propaganda.

5377480 Aye, the "We have come to liberate You, The People, from your Diseased Government" is the classical one. Up-playing all the griefs of the population while reassuring them that they will be immediately accepted into the "warm and loving community" of the invaders where no such tragedy could ever happen again.

5376892 This story is based slightly off of it.

5379117 Return thee favor by not eating me, growing new bodies can get annoying, and many ate me in the past. Oh right, I'm also chock full of neurotoxins now. Quite a recent upgrade. Very fun to watch my devourer writhing on the ground in pain.:trollestia:

5377905 I want to see and read more

WOLVERINES!!!!

Love it!

Now that you are actually updating this you should add more chapters to surprise help.

I want to see more gunship antics.

Wait till Terran reads this.

5379323

I'ma feed you to a jellyfish. They don't have nerves! :twilightsheepish:

5386938 suprise help is from a different author.

5375691
Says the Russian communist...:rainbowlaugh:

Seriously, good ending though. That's the kind of propaganda that I would emit if I were in charge...if only...

5402969 Done. Someone should have messaged me. This scenario actually plays out in my dreams, although due to me coming from the magical land that is not America, this is a happy ending. Cultural differences I suppose.

5545027 *smacks upside the head*
No! That's what got you into trouble with Thailand in the first place, remember?

5545658 Oh right... It was Kelly that fucked up with Thailand...

5545739
After Alexer was banned in Indonesia for trying to cuddle with the natives.

5545740 Wait, what the fuck did Alexer do to get banned from my country? Also, I want to know what the Chinese are saying in the radio. Probably laughing at the U.S. And the Soviet Union for killing each other.

5545740 Right, now I remember. And Dropbear was, somehow, successfully raising a koala army.

5548604 "Haha. Stupid westerners! Foorish guilao! They onry have one university degree!"
"Right, comrade Chang. I swear to Chairman Mao that we wirr crush them!"
"Don't bother. We wirr conquer worrd with cheap read products!"

5560828 Meanwhile in Japan: "IMPOSSIBRU!!!!!"

Watches as this degrades into an Old Guard funfest.

Hell yes.

5560828
Read products?

I like this story. It's an interesting take on how they might perceive us with a radio.

I would have liked to see the mane six discussing the elements of what they had heard. Talking about their feelings and impressions of the broadcast, and perhaps even the 'what if it happened to us?' rationalisations. You did great with what you have but a little more would be nice.

Why didn't you have them pick up number stations? Imagine the look on their faces to some of those creepy broadcasts!

now they need to pick up rebel radio hacks to see their reaction to word of the resistance.

If this had more chapters, perhaps some from facist governments

Wish you would continue this. Maybe a sequel or so. I like the idea of either just Twilight going too our planet. Or the main six( prefer the former) I also hope Murica won. If this is based off of Red dawn then i think they do

The same old bad russian commies? Really? It is all big pile of sh... cranberry. And not a good funny kind. I myself find that "bad communist" cliche pretty insulting.

7396666 Bad Communists are bad.

7484342 under communism, many genocides have been conducted across Asia.

7396666 to be fair there are no real good examples of " good communists" every single communist regime has committed many atrocities for example North Korea enough said there, China and the great leap forward with Mao's reign, the Vietkong, Russia, etc. Most communist fail, in theory communism sounds decent enough, in practice it is another matter all together where it fails at.

7608447 Salvador Allende who was elected democraticly in Chile 1973, was an example of a good communist.

7739778
i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/128/816/d53.jpg
He ruined his country in three years. Pinochet did the right thing.

7740190 by repressing his own people, backstabbing the one who gave him power? Pinochet is the single most hated figure in Chile. It took fourty years for a right party presidency, my grand father was tortured and almost killed during the dictatorship, countless families never got to say goodbye to their loved ones, is that doing something right for your country?

7742500
I'm sorry about your grandfather, but I do believe that Pinochet probably did save Chile. Communism was a consistent problem in South America, and to this very day, South American Communists still devastate and cause chaos for their countries. Allende caused a 350% increase in inflation in a short period of time, making even buying food hard. Allende brought everything under government control, bringing about massive currency instability and impoverishing massive swathes of his own country for a communist pipe dream. In my humble opinion, Pinochet did what was necessary to remove the insipid influence of Communism from Chile, and I believe that free helicopter rides were simply the bitter, unfortunate necessity of saving the country. Chile, from what I have read in my research, would have been worse than Venezuela if Allende had continued to remain in power.

It's also worth noting that the military overthrew Allende less than a month after his actions were declared unconstitutional by the Chamber of Deputies. Pinochet even stepped down after a referendum, when most dictators wouldn't have even held one in the first place. I honestly think he saved Chile. But I see that this is an emotional issue for you, so I hope you don't take offence to what I'm saying.

Login or register to comment