• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 7,346 Views, 331 Comments

Brothers in Arms - Eagle



Sgt. Matthew Baker and the 101st Airborne drop into Equestria during Operation Market-Garden

  • ...
15
 331
 7,346

Our Own Masters

Baker
When you spend your whole life trying to hide something you feel like you have to hide, and then just… letting it go, there’s a relief that washes over you; a feeling that everything is going to be alright. But at this point, from what I’ve seen, I know better. Just because part of your journey is finished doesn’t mean the whole thing stops all at once. One battle might be over, but there’s still the war to win.


Time had passed on quickly, and with little real activity lately. The lack of missions and direct combat operations began to sink into the men, and a sense of relaxation had set in. With little to do, the days and weeks began to blur into each other, and time began to pass unnoticed. October came and went, and much of November did, as well. The fall, with its coolness and colors, began to give way to the winter, with the temperature dropping to increasingly uncomfortable levels.

But Baker and most of the soldiers did not mind. There had not been a major battle since the one to seize the bridge, for them at least. There had been a couple of large skirmishes between the humans and Griffons, but the enemy seemed to be running out of steam as Equestria’s military began to push back and the paratroopers succeeded in hurting some of the best units in the Griffon military. With Thanksgiving being celebrated in town, along with one of the best meals the soldiers had gotten since their arrival, many grabbed a sense that the war, at least this war, was done.

“And then it’s back to ours,” Baker said to himself as he walked along on of Ponyville’s dirt roads. “And then after that, it’ll be time to go home; our real home.”

Baker swore he would remember to keep Hartsock’s promise. He would find his wife and daughter, and offer whatever assistance was needed, if they requested any; money, work, housing, and anything else that they required. No doubt it would be difficult for them, as they would probably get the news before he could tell them in person, but he could at least be there to comfort them.

Stopping and reaching into his pocket, he took out the one thing he got from Hartsock. Joe’s wedding brand still had some shine to it, and still had the string attached from; if Baker went looking for his family for any other reason, it was to give this back. At this point, not much else mattered.

“Sergeant,” a commanding voice called from nearly right over his shoulder.

Baker looked back and saw Celestia, standing there with a grim look on her face, and jumped a bit.

“God, you scared me!” he replied before regaining his composure. “Sorry, Princess. What are you doing around here, ma’am?”

“I will tell you, but first we must meet with the heads of your forces,” she said urgently. “I needed to find you first, with my student being a liaison to you. But the other two are already at the town hall."

Baker wanted to ask another question, but Celestia moved past him before it could leave his mouth. Instead, he followed along with the nearly jogging alicorn until they reached the town hall, which seemed mostly empty form the outside. Upon entering, he found only two other individuals there; Generals Taylor and Gavin of their respective divisions. The whole situation spelled out bad news to Baker; if Celestia had to bring those two in, something big was happening. And from her state of worry, he guessed it was not good.

“I am grateful you all have the time to meet me,” she stated, not bothering with any formal greetings.

“Of course Princess, is there a problem?” Taylor guessed from her anxious state.

“Yes, and I am afraid I must go directly to it, as there is little time,” she said, doing just that. “I was informed earlier today that another nation near our border, the Changeling Empire, has entered the war against us.”

A few moments of dire, hard silence held as the two generals thought of how to respond; the Princess did not wait for them.

“They have already moved into our lands through the penetrations the Griffons made, and have begun attacking our troops, which, I am afraid, are not in the condition to fight off a fresh opponent.”

“And… you want us to deal with them, as well?” Taylor asked, only for Celestia to shake her head in denial.

“No, this task is too dangerous; their numbers are far too great, and they have already begun moving before we could respond,” she explained in her grim tone. “Battling them would only lead to your destruction, something I cannot allow after all you have done.”

Silence took over again as Taylor searched for the exact words to say. It seemed daunting, but he had a hard time believing that a whole new nation had entered the fray, and that they would be wiped out. Before he added any comments, he decided to ask what the Princess had planned.

“Ma’am, what will you do? What do you want us to do?”

“The Changelings are still a short distance from Ponyville and the area around it,” she explained. “I do think I have perfected a spell to return you to your world; you must assemble your men to be returned. As for us… I am afraid that my armies cannot hold all of our ground. It would be best to open negotiations with them, and we will more than likely have to concede sizable amounts of territory to them… including this town.”

None of the Americans there could stomach that. For all this time, they had fought and bled so that this place would not fall under some other nation’s flag. And after all of the fighting that had occurred, after coming so close to their goal, an entirely new nation had jumped in like a thief interrupting a nearly-finished duel, striking at them to take what they had fought so hard to gain. They could not, and would not, accept it.

“Sergeant, you’ve seen your share of the front,” Taylor stated, going straight to his decision regardless of the answer. “You think the men can handle another army?”

Baker thought of it for all of a second, but he already knew what the answer to that was.

“They shouldn’t be a problem, sir.”

“I didn’t think they would be,” Taylor replied with a grin. “I figured there’s still some fight in us. General Gavin?”

“What… are you talking about?” Celestia asked, despite knowing the answer already.

“Off the top of my head? I think we can stick around a little longer,” Gavin replied.

Now Celestia had her turn to be surprised. It was already stunning that these troops had stayed and fought one war, and now they were going to stay and fight a second. It was almost as if they were trying to be destroyed in battle, and take as many with them as possible.

“You have no need to stay here, otherwise you would be wiped out,” she warned ominously. “You’ve given far more than ever expected, we could not ask this.”

“It’s more than just helping you all now,” Taylor pointed out. “We’ve lost a lot just to get where we are; we’re not letting all that go in vain, not a chance in hell.”

Celestia looked over to Baker, whom she believed had seen the most of the conflict.

“The general’s right, I can’t leave and let my men’s deaths be for nothing.”

“I… I suppose I cannot say no,” she admitted. “But you cannot attack an entire army with the forces you have, especially after being weakened from fighting the Griffons. Fight or not, the Changelings will overrun much of the area around it.”

“Well, when you put it that way, it sounds foolish,” Baker agreed, though still not dissuaded from staying.

“I’m not planning on attacking, since we’ve got control of most of the major areas around town,” Taylor replied, strategizing in his mind. “Defense would be the best option, but we can’t win a war by staying on the defense, especially when we can’t defend an extended area.”

“Ma’am, didn’t you say this town was very vital? That it was part of the reason the war started?” Gavin recalled, hypothesizing a possible solution.

“Yes, General; Ponyville is of great importance in a number of ways, the most immediate being its roadways.”

“So then could we just defend the town itself, since it’s their main objective?”

From a small standpoint, it did seem like a sound strategy. Ponyville, as a hub, was important for any activity that involved travel in the region. The Changelings would be sending most forces there, and they could not afford to leave it be. If time were bought, the Equestrian military could at least stabilize the situation, and maybe even push back. Celestia pondered for a bit before responding in a more confident tone.

“Yes, it is possible. If Ponyville can be defended, then it would be possible to broker a better deal at the negotiating table with our foes; at least to the point of the return to pre-war borders,” she theorized. “Though I must warn you that if you choose to fortify your troops here, we will be unable to hold on to any land ourselves. Our forces are already disorganized and battered… you will be completely surrounded.”

“We’re the Airborne ma’am, we’re meant to be surrounded,” Taylor replied, finalizing the decision.


“So that’s the basics of it,” Baker explained to his men. “There’s another army coming at us, and we have to hold here and wear them out. If we don’t they’ll run over the whole country, and the whole fight will be pointless.”

Most of the men in the squad simply stared, contemplating what was happening and how to answer it. Some looked away slightly at the ground or to the side. Only Paddock said anything at first, mumbling a few swears to himself under his hand before returning to normal.

“Alright,” Zanovich finally spoke up, breaking the odd quiet. “We know how long that’ll take?”

“We’re not sure, but it’ll probably be a month or two; maybe more,” Baker replied, giving the best estimation from what he was told.

“What about the size of this army?” Holden asked.

“Not sure about that either; but it’s big.”

Other than an aggravated sigh from a few of the soldiers, most of them remained quiet, not willing to ask anything else that would lead to more bad news. Their faces did not hold much reaction, remaining largely blank and almost uncaring. It was worrying in a way, but none of them said anything, only waiting for the notification to end so they could go about their individual business.

“I’m sorry this happened, but all we have to do now is hold on to what we’ve got,” Baker continued. “So keep that in mind and get your things ready for this. I’ll get back to you if anything else comes up.”

No questions were asked, and no comments arose. Each soldier held his silence to take in the scale of this new task. Anger, fear, confusion, and a whole variety of feelings came over the group, but none of it showed. All of them were suppressed and hidden deep away under the layers cold callousness.

The group began to disperse without warning, with everyone going their own way. None of them had asked Baker if they could disperse, but he allowed it for this one time. In truth, he wanted to end the discussion as soon as possible. The lifelessness of his squad scared him deeply, and it surprised him how he, also, cared so little about having to stay longer. He was not sure if this was bad or good, but figured there was no controlling it.

Upon returning to his own bunk, he found himself without anything to do, and decided to sleep and hope that something would come up over that time. He no longer worried about the possibilities of the future, only focused on what was coming. Everything else had been removed. In an odd way, it was a very liberating feeling.

Author's Note:

Whelp, this got to 200 likes. I honestly don't know how, but I'm very grateful for it. You guys liked it and stuck with it. You asked for more of it, so I guess I'll provide. Take care until next time.

Comments ( 38 )

Well thats New first the Griffins now the changelings this is getting good
Round 2 FIGHT!!!!!!

6180434
Well I got annoyed Ubisoft never finished with the Bulge, so I figured I'd try and finish it myself.

Ya it sucked that they never finished it:raritydespair: but what u have done awesomeness nuff said. :rainbowdetermined2:
Did u see that one they were working on with the name brothers in arms: furious 4 it's basically a ww2 version of borderlands just look at the main characters for proof.:facehoof::pinkiesick:

6180680
It's a pretty good game series, one I'd certainly recommend if you're into squad-tactics. Though be warned most of it up to the latest chapter is basically a copy of the story, so possible spoilers ahead.

Saying that, I really don't know how it got to 200 with what's written. Maybe I'm just being hard on myself though.

Starting to sound like the Siege of Bastogne

6180735
Yea, you're right. Though surely the idea of them existed. I know War of the Worlds had the main Martian weapon of the 'heat-ray', and other sci-fi like Buck Rogers was popular at the time. They could have some notion of it.

Just on the description; D-Day and Normandy were the same events.

6180930
I don't mean to be a know-it-all, but they are not the same. D-Day was part of Normandy and usually only refers to the invasion of June 6th. The Battle of Normandy tends to refer to the Allies' fight for the whole region (including D-Day, Cherbourg, and Operation Cobra) and is usually dated to have ceased after August 30th with the sealing of the Falaise Gap.

6180966 I was told that it was one in the same.

6181119
Aye, and I hate to say you may have to expect that with this one, being an older story with far less writing skill than what I have now. I don't blame you any for it, just to be clear.

well i feel very sad about how this story is going to end but YOU sure know how to keep a reader reading even if they don't wan't to read on. Well done maybe next time you could take a lighter approach.

6182061
It's understandable, though I hate to say I'm not too keen on backtracking, even if it is for grammar. With all of the other stories and work I need to do, and with the time I have to do it, it just doesn't seem as beneficial to go back to correct something that's already suffered from the novice writing when I should be moving forward to complete it, and others, to begin with. Course that doesn't mean I hate it, it was an important learning experience, but there are other things that are of better quality that deserve more attention.

Thanks for the feedback all the same.

6180865 Ah General McAuliffe. His famous quote: To the German Commander from the American Commander: NUTS!

6180966 Might want to change it to Invasion of Normandy.

6183976
I see no vital reason why it should be.

6184018 Nevermind, Battle of Normandy works perfectly fine, had to reread the description, the comments Made me think it said something else.

About time you got the new chapter!

6355086
Where is that?

Welcome, friends...
To Hell's Highway.

Destroy them with lasers!

We are hungry all powerful author! Feed your subjects!

6897731 I was trying to reference an Easter egg in the game mang.

6908546 Ah. I was referencing Minecraft.

i wonder if this is dead?:rainbowhuh:

7122064
Not totally; I'd like to get it done, life's just been real busy over the past... well two years total.

7122095 oh.. well here's hoping that the problems wont bother you anymore. See you when the update arrives.

Gentleman, this is a story you will tell your grandchildren and mightly bored they'll be
—General Brian Horrocks

8480892
I don't have any plans for the immediate future. My focus is on the most recent story I'm doing. I can PM you what I planned for the rest of the story though.

8482652
Well, I could be gladly saying that you don't have to wait anymore since they are now officially working on the final game of the Brothers in Arms series.


Hang in there!

8515007
Really? Where did you hear this? Can I see the site you saw it on?

8516027
They had announced it over the summer which unfortunately, I forgot what the site was called but it should be in IGN or you'll have to search it up online.
I've first heard it when one of the BIA fan shared the news with it and have a video that Randy Pitchford (CEO of Gearbox) have CONFIRMED during an interview that Ubisoft Ontario is working on the game. Seeing this did stirred up a lot of excitement and many of the BIA fans returned to the BIA forum on Gearbox Forum and are preparing for Bastogne.

Accordingly, the game should be able to be release by next year. It's so hard to believe that they are doing it after all the waiting.

If you want, you could've join the fanbase and gathers more about this because this is all I've gone prior to my knowledge.

8517309
That's certainly good news.

8557519
You're telling someone to get better at their grammar, but you're the one that needs to do that. Seriously, check your own response before posting it and making yourself look stupid. You should learn how to use proper grammar more than anyone I've seen.

To the author: I think the story is pretty good. Needs a little work, but I think it's great. Keep up the good work. :D

Is this getting updated anytime soon im running out of good stories to read

sorry for mistakes, i'm not good at english

a curiosity for people unfamiliar with history.

The Polish army, mainly Polish paratroopers from the 1st Independent Parachute Brigade, had the largest share in the market garden operation.
it was thanks to their sacrifice that the operation was a success

The 1st (Polish) Independent Parachute Brigade was a parachute infantry brigade of the Polish Armed Forces in the West under the command of Major General Stanisław Sosabowski, created in September 1941 during the Second World War and based in Scotland.

Originally, the brigade's exclusive mission was to drop into occupied Poland in order to help liberate the country. The British government, however, pressured the Poles into allowing the unit to be used in the Western theatre of war. Operation Market Garden eventually saw the unit sent into action in support of the British 1st Airborne Division at the Battle of Arnhem in September 1944. The Poles were initially landed by glider from 18 September, whilst, due to bad weather over England, the parachute section of the Brigade was held up, and jumped on 21 September at Driel on the South bank of the Rhine. The Poles suffered significant casualties during the next few days of fighting, but still were able, by their presence, to cause around 2,500 German troops to be diverted to deal with them for fear of their supporting the remnants of the 1st Airborne trapped over the lower Rhine in Oosterbeek.

of course, I will not mention that the allies (Americans), in gratitude for our sacrifice during the war, decided to betray us and sell our country to the Soviet Union.
for you, the second war ended in 45, for us on April 9, 1991, when the Russians finally withdrew from Poland.

11076241
America was infested with communists at the time. You can thank FDR for that one, as well as allowing China to fall to the communists.

Login or register to comment