• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 7,346 Views, 331 Comments

Brothers in Arms - Eagle



Sgt. Matthew Baker and the 101st Airborne drop into Equestria during Operation Market-Garden

  • ...
15
 331
 7,346

The Wrong DZ

September 17th

“That ground is getting fucking close!” McCreary yelled over the sound as the men sat in the now descending glider.

“We’ll be fine!” said T/5 Nathan Holden, the squad’s radioman.

“How do you know?” McCreary yelled back, not getting any answer.

The glider descended through the sky, quietly coming closer and closer to the ground. It was a relatively normal trip. The sky was clear with a few clouds and the sun shining brightly; this was perfect weather for an airborne operation. The only off thing was a massive, dark cloud the formation flew through. But, when they came out, everything was ok, so the operation continued on.

Looking out one of the windows, Corporal Thomas Zanovich thought he saw something, barely noticeable but something. It was like a blue blur that seemed to be following at a distance before shooting off quickly.

“Hey, did you see that?” he asked to no one in particular.

“See what?” Courtland asked.

“There was some sort of blue blur outside the glider!”

“Zano, we’re in the sky!” McCreary responded, “The whole damn thing is blue!”

Before Zanovich could respond, all the eyes turned forward to see their drop zone. The glider’s DZ was a large, open field. It came closer and closer until it finally touched down. It skidded along in a straight line at a fast pace for some time before finally coming to a rest just before it hit a tree.

“Move! Move! Get the jeep out, now! We have a link up to get to!” Zanovich ordered.

The men soon took a seat and the jeeps began to roll down a dirt road towards the rendezvous. Looking around, they could see dozens of other gliders landing in fields, troops jumping out of C-47 Skytrains and parachuting down, other already on the ground running and carrying out their assigned tasks. Operation Market seemed to be going off without a hitch.


Twilight Sparkle had just finished re-shelving the library. It had taken several hours of hard work by her and her assistant, Spike, but everything was where it was supposed to be. It was worth the time and effort, at least until her friend Rainbow Dash came bursting through the door at top speed and crashing into the shelves.

“Ugh, Rainbow! What’s wrong with you!?” she yelled from under a pile of books. “Do you know how long it too-”

“There’s no time!” Rainbow said, picking her friend out of the pile. “Something crazy is happening! I was on weather patrol over the field north of the Everfree, and I saw these giant, noisy, metal birds, a-and…”

“Calm down, Rainbow!” Twilight interrupted, confused about what she was talking about. “Now what’s this about metal birds?”

“Giant metal birds!” Rainbow corrected her. “And not only that, but these other creatures were jumping out of their bellies and floating down! I didn’t know what they were, so I came to see if you knew.”

Twilight looked on in confusion. It sounds ridiculous, but why would Rainbow lie to her?

“Was it another one of her pranks, maybe?” she thought. “No, she’s too frantic. Maybe she just hit her head and saw something.”

“Rainbow, why don’t you go home and get some rest. I’m sure it was nothing,” Twilight suggested.

“NO! I know I saw something out there! There’s no time to sleep!”

“No time for napping?” Twilight giggled. “You definitely hit your head.”

“Agh,” Rainbow grunted in frustration.

Before either could continue, they heard a strange noise that sounded like a distant buzzing noise coming closer. Rainbow zoomed outside to confirm what she thought it was. She then went back into the library, picked up Twilight, and flew her outside.

“See!” she said pointing towards the sky.

Twilight didn’t expect to see anything, but sure enough, there was something metal flying through the air. The two continued to gaze at it as it disappeared beyond sight.

“So do you know what it is?” Rainbow asked.

“N-no. I’ve never seen anything quite like that before, but from what I saw, it looked more like some kind of machine,” Twilight replied. “You said other things were jumping out of it?”

“Yea, they didn’t look like they could fly. They just sort of, floated down.”

“Ok. Let’s get the others, then we’ll go investigate.”

“You think they’re dangerous, Twilight?” Rainbow asked.

“I don’t know, Rainbow. But that’s why we need to hurry,” she replied.

“Well they’d better not hurt anypony, or I’ll buck them into next week!”


By the time Baker and his squad had reached the RV point, they had realized something was off. The farmhouse where they were to meet the Dutch Resistance member was nowhere to be found, so he decided to continue on and ask Mac about it. Maybe they were at the wrong DZ.

“Baker! Hey, Baker!”

He turned and saw his old commander, Mac, walking alongside Lieutenant Colonel Robert Cole.

“Matt! I’d heard they’d put you guys in recon. Can’t say I’d figured you’d be waiting in our DZ,” Mac said.

“Actually Mac, I wanted to ask you about the DZ-“ Mac cut Baker off before he could finish.

“Sir! A few of these men fought at-“ now it was Mac’s turn to be interrupted.

“Baker? Yea, I remember. I’m not good with names, but I certainly heard yours enough after D-Day,” Cole said. “I could use a favor if ya’ll are up to it.”

“Actually sir, I wanted to ask you if we missed our drop point. None of the landmarks fit,” Baker asked.

“Yea, I know. The damn pilots really screwed the pooch this time. The only landmark in the area is that big damn forest in front of us, and that’s not even on the map!” Cole explained. “In fact, I havn’t been able to get in contact with anyone or anything higher than division level. Apparently, we’ve lost all contact with our home base. Hell, Col. Sink can’t even reach London!”

“Sir, what should we do?” Baker asked.

“The rest of our men and equipment are coming down now in this area. Since you guys are recon, I want you to scout down that road and through the forest. I already radioed one of your jeeps to meet up here,” said Cole before he was answered by the horn of said jeep blaring angrily at a soldier standing in the road.

“In Holland the horn still means ‘get outta me fucking way!’” Zanovich yelled. “Uh, sorry sir.”

“We’re ready to move out when you are sergeant,” Holden called.

After driving a short ways down the road, they reached the entrance to the forest. The road was drivable, but since it was so narrow and the woods so thick, Baker decided to continue on foot in case of an ambush. The woods themselves were dark, with little sunlight coming in and a light fog hanging near the ground. Several odd noises that sounded like some strange beast hounded the soldiers every now and then as they marched onward.

Baker’s third squad was broken up into three teams. The base-of-fire team contained Zanovich, Franky, and Dawson. The assault team was made up of Corrion, McCreary, and Courtland. Lastly, the support team was made up of Jasper (who could use either a bazooka or, in this case, a Browning 30.Cal MG), his loader, private Timothy Connor, and Holden.

The base-of-fire team was armed mostly with rifles, but could utilize other weapons. Their main job in combat was to lay down suppressing fire on enemy positions. This would prevent the enemy from moving.

The assault team’s job was to flank the enemy once suppressed. Armed mostly with close-range weapons like the Thompson sub-machine gun, they would finish off the enemy by going round his side and firing on his exposed position. Alternatively, they could close the distance directly and use grenades to destroy the target.

The support team’s role was mixed. If they carried a machine gun, they would usually be used to suppress. If they had a bazooka, they would be able to destroy enemy positions in light cover.

Still, the jobs were not always permanent, nor were the men. During the fighting in Normandy, one team would be playing a new role due to the battle’s requirements. And, due to the heavy losses in Normandy, many teams found themselves working with troops from other teams or even from other squads.

“How solid is our intel?” Holden asked. “Do we know if Germans are even in the area at all? It seems like a foolish move.”

“We don’t know for sure; that’s why it’s called recon,” Zanovich replied.

“Oh yes. I’m quite aware of the ramifications. We protect the brass by dying first. I understand.”

“The Gospel according to Holden!” Zanovich chuckled.

Continuing on a short ways, Baker suddenly ordered the squad to halt. They stood still and listened, confirming Baker’s suspicions. Voices were heard nearby and getting closer. Baker silently ordered the men off the road and to take cover in the woods, with the machine gun ready to open fire if necessary.

“You hear that?” Corrion asked. “It sounds like English.”

“Might just be some of the locals trying to find us,” Baker replied.

“Or the Huns are trying to trick us,” Dawson said.

“That’s weird, it sounds like girls,” Courtland whispered.

“Well, looks like we’re about to find out,” Corrion said.

Baker raised his hand and ordered the squad to take aim, if it fell, they would open fire. Luckily, Baker was too stunned by what he saw to act, as was everyone else. Out of the clearing and coming down the road, oblivious to the danger they were in, were six talking, multi-colored, miniature horses. Upon closer inspection, Baker saw two had wings, the blue and yellow ones, and another two, the purple and white ones, had horns. The last two, one that was orange and another that was bright pink, didn’t seem to have any kind of special attachments. He tried to listen in on what they were saying.

“Really, darling; aren’t you being a bit paranoid? Perhaps the princess was just testing some new contraption,” suggested the white one.

“No, Celestia would have told me if she was testing a new invention,” the purple one said. “I don’t think even she would know what these things are.”

“Um, m-maybe w-we should just leave them alone. I mean, what I they’re dangerous?” asked the yellow one in the back.

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy. I’m sure that whatever it is these things are, they won't be much of a threat.” the purple one answered again.

“Yea, they didn’t look very tough to me!” the blue one boasted.

Ducking down into cover, the squad exchanged confused and bewildered glances with each other. Each soldier had the same kind of look on his face, as if there was a silent universal chorus of ‘did you see what I saw?’ The only one to actually speak was Jasper’s loader, Connor.

“Hey Jas,” he whispered.

“Y-Yea?” Jasper replied, eyes still fixed on the contacts.

“What did you say about crushing the Germans with zoo animals?”