• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 16,199 Views, 185 Comments

A Princess by Any Other Name - Skywriter



Princess Cadence tries to legally change her name to "Princess Cadance." Footnotes ensue.

  • ...
9
 185
 16,199

Footnotes

Footnotes:

[1] Trickier than it sounds, since Dr. Abacus happened to be standing on all fours at the time. Were she a heraldic animal rather than an academic one, the posture she momentarily achieved would have been referred to as "rampant", and when you dither enough that it requires you to go rampant, it must be said that you have considerably dithered.

[2] Not strictly true, mathematically, but the proof for this would be beyond the scope of this work.

[3] To be fair, it usually did.

[4] This time... it's personal.

[5] Some ponies simply aren't satisfied with the fact of being violet-eyed missing princess-heirs to distant and long-forgotten magical kingdoms, who also can fly.

[6] CV-450, by contrast, is the Official Petition for Change of Name for a Princess Alicorn (Regnant) of Equestria, and has been filed exactly once in history, in an apparent attempt by Princess Celestia to change her own name to "Mrs. Big Stupid Meanie No-Pants Sun-On-Her-Butt". The signature was later determined to have been forged.

[7] And boy, were her wings tired! No, seriously, they were.

[8] He was also rarely seen in a state of habille, and was virtually never kempt.

[9] A gross exaggeration; he was merely slightly less angry.

[10] Some of Dotted's most delightful dreams prominently featured this point, but he always awoke disappointed.

[11] Well, more royal than Cadence, at least.

[12] Nestled snugly in between "Austerity Measures" and "Preemptive National Defense".

Comments ( 79 )

'Twould have been nice to have while I was reading instead of having to use CTRL+F all the time, but hey at least it's here for future readers!

2523519
Eh, live and learn. I should have studied my source material more closely, but I got spoiled to the Vault version of "...Destroy..." which actually seems to jump to the right footnote, and the ones in "A Canterlot Carol" are more interstital.

2518498
>joke fic
Well, no shit it's gonna get featured. :moustache:

2523557

alternatively, it's a semi-humorous expansion on a relatively serious idea the author who has been featured for his previous two forays into said subject. And is also on EQD for this exact series.

Y'know, if you want to say more than 'joke fic'

2523685
I'm having a hard time telling the difference, what with all the jokefics flooding the feature box lately.

2523729

Sorry, I'm having a hard time noticing while dodging the endless mill of porn.

You might have noticed if you'd read the description, though... :P

2523760
Uh...what's in the description that points out that this isn't a joke fic?

2523786
Admittedly nothing, but I tend to go quick and light on the description boxes. (Except "Contraptionology!", which kind of needs it.)

I have an unhealthy love of these things. :applejackconfused:

What? Cadence is evolving!
*Trollestia hits b-button*
Huh? Cadence stopped evolving.

2525339
Part of the goal of this story was to drive home Story 1's conceit that Cady needs to get out of this environment. :twilightsmile:

Another Skywriter fic?

Insta-like!

2523786

I was refering to the part where it mentioned it was part of the whole 'cadence of cloudsdale' thing. I never said it wasn't a joke-fic, I said that the reason it got featured was because it was part of a series. It kind of is a jokefic. There's some stuff in there just to add to the other stories, but this one basically isn't required reading. Sorry 2523824, but this is a joke fic.

2526058
For the record, I never was the one claiming otherwise. :pinkiehappy: Interesting question: what distinguishes a "joke fic" from a "comedy"?

2526058
Oh, and if you do continue reading the series, you yet may find a stronger tie to the greater whole, one that's just not obvious yet. Mysteeerious...

2526024
"Princess-Goddess" is set at some unspecified time in the 900's. I'm playing fast and loose with the dates, but the "current" year is 988, Cady has been at the Mountain for a couple decades, and it took Celly quite a few years to find Reduit. It was probably close to 940.

2526080

A comedy actually adresses something, a joke fic doesn't have any serious aspect. Twilight gets a free salad is a joke fic because there's no real arc, it's just silly silly silly. Clop It is a comedy because, much as I dislike it, it has a plot that one can follow, and that has semi-serious aspects to it.

In short- a comedy adds jokes to a story, a joke fic adds a story to jokes.

2531661
Oopsie, typo. Will fix.

2531971 Yes, irony, what would life be without it eh? :rainbowlaugh:

And yes, I’ll keep an eye pealed for that story. Best of luck with it!

2594808
That's the gist of it, yes. She's feeling her oats, trying to become her own person; and like many teenagers, when she's frustrated in this regard, she gets a little touchy. I'm trying hard with this to make serene canon-Princess Cadance recognizable as the same person at a different stage of life rather than "OMG you write Cadance so badly". Time will tell whether or not I succeed in this.

You and your footnotes. They're so hard to read from a phone :raritycry:

Doesn't matter, though, because this is hilarious :rainbowlaugh:

2670871
Y'all convinced me to change the line some time ago now. I knew it was memetic but I guess I still underestimated the possibility of utter fixation. I still have things to learn, I guess! :pinkiehappy:

2713573
This one was even more obtuse than usual by deliberate design, in honor of my source material. :pinkiehappy:

2916597
Thanks for the note! This time, the spelling is intentional. Check it out!

2930976
As noted before, I think the function of this story in the cycle is to a certain extent convince the audience that It really is a good idea for Cady to get out of Canterlot and out from under Celly for a while. :pinkiehappy:

Celestia's beard, this is amazing. It was hysterical, it was poignant, it used the characters perfectly... Insert any amount of gushing you wish here, this was just about perfect. But what really sells the fic is that it reads like a mesh of your and Heraclitus' style, like Mustard and Ketchup in a Cadence and Dotted Line Hot-Dog. I can't express my love for this fic enough.

2971960
Thanks! Those were basically my goals in writing this fic, right down the line, so I'm glad to hear I succeeded in your eyes!

3172611
Thank you for reading!

3256839
Ominously, G.M. Berrow does not elucidate this point in her book. :trixieshiftright:

3355048
And that someone is me.

3726402
Thanks again for your commentary! As noted in the desc, this was a stylistic send-up of the very Pratchettian ponyficcer Ghost of Heraclitus, so if it was at all Pratchettian, that means I was at least in part doing my job!

The challenge with teenage Cady is to be able to portray her as a frustrated and moody thing and still allow the audience to draw an unbroken line to the impossibly serene picture-perfect Cadance we see in the canon. From your reactions, it sounds like I'm doing it not quite perfectly. :twilightsheepish:

2523729 Hey, it's you. That guy who hangs out on EQD! Hi! :pinkiehappy:

3173590 haha, still am, twenty weeks later! :moustache::eeyup:

2973692 would you say, right down to the...

Dotted Line?

:rainbowlaugh:

3856962
Ba-dum pum *tish*.

the process of changing one's legal name, even for a Princess of Equestria, cannot possibly so complicated as to require a five-hundred page manual.

A "be" seen deleted. Egads! Fix, gracias. (Helpful! :trollestia: I joke.)

4016159
Erk! Good catch.

4020453
In this chronology, she gets the nickname before Celestia knows her and it's the name she uses for all the registration papers when she's first brought to the Mountain. So as far as the archives are concerned, she's "Cadence" even though her given name is "My Love."

And so, Cadence faced a foe in every way as sinister and dubious as nearly any other Sealed Evil In A Can that the sisters have ever buried in some obscure temple or dilapidated castle: Bureaucracy!

4299780
A formidable foe indeed.

4874532
Dotty is like Equestria's cat. Very useful in context and (unfortunately) very funny when ruffled.

5272349
Thanks for mentioning that and making me look it up! Always good to have another reference to play with...

5457986
I've read two or three stories from that series without knowing they were part of a series, but enough to recognize the long-suffering fellow with the tea thermos. I've book-marked your fimfiction page ...and will in time remorselessly devour the fruits of your labor. :pinkiehappy:

5458615
I hope to not disappoint!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Unsurprisingly, #8 is my favorite. :3

5491816
Man, how many months later and we're still squashing typos! Thanks.

5514981
Thanks! That's a very flattering comparison, as you might imagine!

Login or register to comment