• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,092 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,092

PreviousChapters Next
208. Colt II.

When Queen Chrysalis of the Badlands Changeling Hive first laid eyes upon Auryn (she was the one who'd orchestrated his foalnapping after all) she had, at first, expected some boorish lout of a colt, the typical spoiled prince; someone like Prince Blueblood, the nephew of the accursed Celestia. The small, quiet, and humble mottled-brown earth pony colt -- wasn't what she'd expected, at all. When two of her warriors had him brought to her, from where he'd been placed in the Hive (well-fed, undamaged; one cannot hold for ransom a broken or starved pony) she was bemused because - as her warriors told it - he'd come willingly. They had, she learned, almost had to coax him into leaving the room in which he'd been placed, for he'd been lost in his own world, staring about the room, marvelling, it seemed, at its construction.

Now, after dismissing her warriors, Chrysalis gave a wicked laugh -- but as she did little Auryn's head snapped about towards her, and he babbled excitedly in his odd language of backwards, broken equestrian and other that none could identify. Originally, she'd wanted to plumb him for whatever secrets he had locked within him -- but as time passed and she learned that, yes, whatever afflicted his mind was indeed real, she found herself telling him basic information about her people, how they fed on love, had to replace ponies, whatever it took to survive. Unlike in the early days, Auryn now tried, really tried, to stay focussed when ponies spoke instead of sang, tried his best to understand her words, his expression saddening as he listened, and listened, brow furrowed in concentration. At last, he gave Chrysalis a sad smile, then he opened his mouth to sing,

"What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love, sweet love
No not just for some, but for everyone"

The original track had been a swing piece, something jovial, joyful -- but for Chrysalis he sang the song softly, gently. By the time the final word passed his lips the Changeling Queen's eyes glistened, and she sniffled, looking down at the little colt who'd somehow climbed into her lap. It was just her and him there in her Throne Room; there was no one to see her hold him so gently, no drones to see him softly nuzzle her face, boop her snout playfully; no drones would hear her giggle and laugh softly, none would see her tickle him. Later, much later, when a furious Luna confronted her for the foalnapping of her son, moved to fight her, little Auryn barked a command, then babbled brokenly at her to "OS-TP!" Growling, Luna did -- and then little Auryn turned to Chrysalis with an air of finality about him. The magic of Harmony was invoked then, soft music filling the air as the little colt sang for Queen Chrysalis one last time...

"There's traffic on the bridge
But the skyline shines with a certain light
I know you're sick of it
But I know a happy hour nearby

And there's a possibility
That one day things'll get better, for
The huddled masses in between
The shadows and the stars

Floating empire, held up by fraying wire
I'll cover you in winter like a blanket by the fire
When the rent's too high, we'll just buy cheaper wine
And hang on to see if whether
The constellations hold together or not"

Later, with the song's end, Luna and Auryn held Queen Chrysalis as she wept and wept softly, having experienced throughout the song visions of a time she'd never experienced, a place she'd never been, a loving stallion she'd never met -- but oh, she wanted to meet him, for she'd felt his arms about her, heard his voice as the song went on. Now, however, there was naught but Luna and her son, and so she mourned. Finally, as Luna helped to dry her tears, Chrysalis looked at little Auryn, then she and Luna nodded to each other; Luna, too, knew of the power of her son's songs, had experienced them; in this, both understood the other. "He... he sang for me..." the Queen whimpered to Luna later. The Night Princess nodded, nuzzling Chrysalis, sharing breath. "Saw something in you, he did," she replied. "Trusted you; still does." If Luna was his Mother, it was Queen Chrysalis who would eventually become his fiercest guardian and protector, moved in secret (at Auryn's insistence) to the mines beneath the Canterlot Royal Palace. Celestia, Shining Armor, Cadance and Twilight were all utterly furious, of course -- but that therein is another short, for another time...

PreviousChapters Next