• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,084 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,084

PreviousChapters Next
147. Max...

So... That was it, then.

It was over.

Oh, Lord Scabrous Scrotus was dead--but so much carnage had lead up to that monstrous earth pony's demise. Battered, bruised, broken, I sat on my haunches, looking down toward the bottom of the cliff. There, I again beheld the sight of Scrotus' destroyed War Rig; saw the battered wreck of the Magnu--wait...

I blinked.

Then, I blinked again. The Magnum Opus - the amazing armored War Car lovingly crafted by faithful Chum Bucket - was gone. 'But... but... I... I saw...' I thought--but then my mind just ground to a halt as I heard his voice. "Hey, Saint! The Magnum Opus is all tuned up and ready to go; where shall we take her next?"

Leaping to all four hooves, I whirled about to see - 'No, that's impossible. Impossible!' - my faithful friend, that crazy, nearly hairless, one-eyed unicorn mechanic, clad in his divine tools! He stood in back of the Magnum Opus and it was, indeed, tuned and ready, quietly idling in the sun, shining and chrome! "Chum..." I rasped. Racing over to the miracle that was my restored friend and car, I hauled the crazy unicorn out and away, pulling him into a near-crushing hug.

"Oh, careful Saint," the old fellow wheezed, "you'll crush my pipes!" Half-laughing, half-weeping inside, I spun him about, gave him a nuzzle - which he returned - than set him down to catch his breath. Soon, he scuttled up to me, head low, ears flat. "I... about the Underdunes and--and Scabrous, I... I'm..." Suddenly, he burst into tears. "I--I'm sorry," he wept. "I... I was afraid! I had no choice! It was how the story was told... I--"

"It's alright, Chum. I forgive you. I forgive you..." And I did. Having suffered the horrors of the Underdunes - that Buzzard Brute still gave me the shivers - I could more than understand Chum's want to leave, and he'd made the right choice, there. With Scabrous--well, who could resist the horrors of that monster? I hugged him again, whispering over and over that I as his Saint forgave him; that even the best of us could fall to evil; that he could redeem himself assisting me in my honest work of doing good for the Wasteland. When at last he quietened, I wiped the tears from his face with a bit of rag and then--

"Hey, don't forget about us!"

--turned to the Magnum Opus, to see that a few additions had been made to the design. There was the expanded back, of course - not only could Chum stand there, but also a drum-kennel had been installed, from which Dinki-Di's head emerged, the former War Dog giving me a happy bark - but most importantly, there was a large back seat. And sitting in that seat...

"Daddy!"

"My Champion..."

... were a Pegasus mare and her filly, the latter bouncing madly up and down on the seat as her mother looked on with fond exasperation. "Hope" - the mare nodded, unfurling a Wingfan - "and Glory" - the filly nodded enthusiastically - ".... but, you all... you all... I don't understand..."

Chum Bucket grinned madly - "Ah, that was just the way the story was told, Saint--but now that story's ended, we're free to make our own!" - as he jumped into the back of the Opus ruffling Dinki-Di's headfur. "So let's go; there's a whole lotta Wasteland out there to explore..."

Laughing, I hopped into the Magnum Opus and then - with a great roar from the Big Chief V8 Engine - we drove off into the sunset.

Author's Note:

I REFUSE THE ENDING OF THE NEW MAD MAX GAME. IT WAS DONE BY STUNT DOUBLES AND ACTORS. SO THERE.

PreviousChapters Next