• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,060 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,060

PreviousChapters Next
125. Companions

We've all read the stories of the Conversion Bureau, right? Portal from Equestria opens, XenoCelestia comes through and then Conversion Nightmare Fuel begins...

This is not that kind of story.

What happened - what really happened - when the portal appeared and the ponies came through was that they became a "partner race" if you will. No matter where you went, if there was a human there chances are he or she had a pony by his or her side. Those ponies just plain liked us and we liked them. Most ponies just liked to be around us; work with us, and be petted, and hugged, that sort of thing. They were the lucky ones. Because - as human and pony scientists gradually found out - there were the other ponies. These ponies had an inherited gene - some sort of instinctive thing - that told them they were geared for humans; they needed to have a human companion.

Thankfully, most of the cases of this gene were mild; as long as they had their particular human with them these ponies could live normal lives. But then, there were the severe, or redline cases, where - without their human - a pony just couldn't function, and in some cases couldn't live; they would literally pine away for their human if he or she couldn't be found. as it turned out, the "companion gene" was something inherited from the domesticated ponies and horses of olden-times. Something inherent to all ponies, but dormant in some, or bred out in others. It was activated by us when a human had dared to pet the first pony--by our touch, sight, and smell... and one of the ponies affected was Celestia's Sister, Princess Luna.

Celestia was furious! She lost it in Day Court; wept and screamed at the scientists, at her beloved human friend even though it wasn't his fault, and near-banned humans from coming to Equestria ever again. She only relented when her own ponies - those with the Companion Gene - threatened to leave Equestria forever. Needless to say there were a lot of tears shed that night, a lot of petting and hugs, and a lot of apologies from both sides; including a lot of ear scratchies to a big white alicorn mare from one very lucky human as Celestia rested her head in his lap, looking up at him with tearful eyes as she whispered over and over how sorry she was. By now, a suppressant for the "companion gene" had been developed but those ponies with the gene were naturally leery of it; preferring a human to be with them rather than drugs; thus it was only used sparingly by them, in cases where they couldn't be with their humans if at all--or it was used by those "diehard" human-hating ponies who had the gene and didn't want it.

In the end, to give Luna some relief the suppressant was used--but Celestia soon despaired as we discovered that it had a devastating effect on her... Though she no longer pined for her human and wondered where he might be, the poor lunar alicorn merely existed day by day. It... it was as if she'd suffered some kind of devastating stroke. Luna would eat only if food was placed in front of her. She became absent minded and forgetful, and whenever she moved her movements were lethargic, and near mechanical. A few of her Night Guards had to be with her at all times to make sure she ate and stop her from bumping into walls... In the end, hating to see her sister either lifeless or pining, Celestia 'let Luna go' so to speak; she freed her sister from her duties that she might finally travel to Earth to find her Companion. Luna couldn't get there fast enough.

Far and wide she searched, and searched--until at last she found him, sniffed him and got his scent all over her and in her nose, something within her body finally metaphorically clicking into place. When she returned to Equestria with him, and Celestia saw him with her own eyes... well, he wasn't much to look at. Brown hair with a small bald patch, hazel eyes corrected by glasses. A bit of a gut, and hairy as anything, still dressed in pajamas and looking frazzled and windswept. He knew why he was here - when he dismounted Luna, her nuzzling and gentle fawning over him was clear - though he was a bit leery of the big white mare facing him. "Hello," he said, soft, yet blunt, "my name's David. Uh, I've no idea why your sister chose me; she certainly could do better--" but then he was gently cut off by Luna as she leaned against him, facing her sister, sighing gently, before stating,

"This is my Human. There are many like Him, but this Human is mine.
My Human is my best friend. He is my life, and I am His
My Human, without me, is lost. Without my Human, I am lost.
Together We are One."

PreviousChapters Next