• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,080 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,080

PreviousChapters Next
136. To Serve

As she had done countless times, Celestia sought him out, and found him again. This time, he was working as a Doctor in the Hospital in Ponyville. "Why," asked she, as she watched him carefully set the leg-bones of a young colt, "will you not come back with me to the Palace? Why will you not help me guide my Little Ponies? You are an Alicorn; you should be a Prince, or a King!" As he had done countless times, the teal-coated, brown-maned, hazel-eyed alicorn stallion - after finishing his current task - turned to face the Solar Princess, his muzzle turned up in a smile yet his eyes filled with soul-deep sadness. The look he gave her - as if he was going to do, was doing, had done all of this before - chilled her to her core yet made her eyes moisten with tears. He was so disappointed. She didn't understand him; she never would.

Inhaling a softened breath - his tone infinitely caring, infinitely gentle - the male stated, "'The alicorn exists to serve Ponies, never to rule over them. Thus spoke the Prophet Faust, as she cast down the Houyhnhnm Imperium'. You have your life, Celestia, and I have mine. I'm no alicorn king; just a unicorn with wings. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must return to my work. Good day to you." And then... the big male just... dismissed her - as if she wasn't even there - as he turned to talk to one of the nurses in regards to the colt's condition; after than he walked away, presumably to see and tend to other patients. No sooner had he left then Celestia's expression crumpled; she sniffled and whimpered softly, eyes misting with tears, before she teleported herself away.

Once she was gone, Nurse Redheart - having followed the male as he walked away - turned to stare at the spot where Celestia had been but moments before; than she turned to the alicorn stallion, a frown upon her muzzle as she stated, "She loves you, you know." The teal alicorn nodded with saddened expression as he softly replied, "I know... but Celestia needs to learn that it is not another alicorn who can make her happy; she can find love again amongst her mortal kin. I should know; I have..." And with those words, the Prince gently nuzzled his mare, Redheart giggling softly as she leaned into his touch. Later that evening - when alicorn and mortal mare were at their humble home - Redheart asked, "Is it true - what you always say - that alicorns shouldn't rule over ponies?"

At her question, the Prince looked at her, his gaze solemn. "It is," he softly intoned. At his words, Redheart's expression brightened, for he was about to tell one of his stories that she loved so much. "Long ago," the Prince began, "when the world was young and you were not yet born, the great Empire of the Alicorns - the Houyhnhnm Imperium - ruled over all. So great was their power - so utterly untouchable were they - that this empire of god-beings kept mortal kind as slaves--until one alicorn mare - named Faust - gave rise to the rebellion that resulted in the Houyhnhnm Imperium being cast down into Tartarus; though not before they unleashed their last "gift" upon the world: Discord, chaos unbound. So great was his power that Discord broke the order of the world, and it would have remained broken were it not for the actions of two young Alicorn mares, alicorns who hadn't heard of the empire of their ancestors.

Celestia and Luna brought down Discord and imprisoned him in stone--but after that was done they didn't return to the shadows; instead they now rule as the Princesses of the Day and Night. They should not." Before Redheart could protest, the Prince continued, "I know, I know, the Princessdom of Equestria is a damn sight better than the Houyhnhnm Imperium--but still... it's not right! Mortal Ponies should forge their own paths, without alicorn interference, or "guidance" as Celestia calls it. We alicorns should remain in the shadows, as healers, craftsponies, inventors and tinkerers..." A breathy snort escaped the Prince than, as he lapsed into brooding silence. Redheart moved around behind him and softy began to massage his tense back and shoulder muscles as he gazed into the flickering flames of their fireplace.

PreviousChapters Next