• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,105 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,105

PreviousChapters Next
160. Boss 3

As Big Boss made his way through the Quarantine Platform, he came upon a sight that he never, ever hoped he'd see. There, in one of the rooms...

Was Fluttershy, the Element of Kindness, who - despite the protests of her friends - had gone to the platform to offer what help she could.

Now she lay before the Boss, in agony, her throat and lips covered in blood, the mutated Vocal Cord Parasite eating her alive. Yet, she smiled upon seeing him.

"Oh, no..." Miller breathed through the radio, "not her..."

Hands trembling, Big Boss raised his pistol, to do what must be done--but then, he thought better of it. Sheathing the silenced pistol in its holster, he moved to Fluttershy, brought up his hands.

The butter-yellow Pegasus mare nodded to him, afraid yet resolute.

Gathering her up into his arms, the man petted her softly, wished her a gentle goodbye. She asked that her animal friends be brought to the Animal Conservation Platform and immediately the Boss agreed.

Then...

He set his hands around her neck, and squeezed, squeezed, squeezed... Instinct made her struggle to breathe, of course, but soon, the life faded from her eyes...

The Boss set her down--and then a wordless roar of RAGE escaped him as he smashed his Bionic Hand into a wall of the room, again, and again, and again, tears streaming from his eyes, down his cheeks...

Once he was able to get himself under control, gently, the Boss picked her up and carried her the way he'd learned to carry little Sweetie Belle - like a Father carrying his child - and brought her out of that hell.

..........................

"I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea. I will always be with you. Plant your roots in me. I won't see you end as ashes. You're all diamonds."

The quote was for all of them - man and pony alike - yet it resonated most strongly with Applejack and Rarity. Those soldiers among Diamond Dogs whom were closest to the five Elements of Harmony rallied around the mares, kneeling to hug and pet the ponies even as for lost men and women their own tears fell.

When the Boss presented them with Fluttershy's Ashes, each pony took a little and rubbed the ash on their muzzles, before returning the pot to the Boss. He knew what he would do.

Later, the five ponies were each given a new Diamond Dogs Patch, into which was sewn a tiny diamond made from the ashes of that gentle Pegasus mare, who'd done so much for all of the people on Mother Base and the FOB just by being there as an ear to listen, or someone to talk to.

The final remainder was scattered gently into the various cages of the Animal Conservation Platform; a place Fluttershy had, of course, adored.

..........................

Later, as Huey Emerich was about to be put into the raft - before anyone could do or say anything to stop her - Applejack struck, viciously.

"YEW FUCKIN' TRAYTORUSS WURM! YEW FILTHY, LAH-YIN VARMINT...!" she howled; then it was Huey's turn to howl as the Element of Honesty CRUSHED his arms with her hooves--and then broke his jaw for good measure before he could once again open his filthy, lying mouth. "HOPE YEW LAHK SUCKIN' YER OWN SHEEIT THREW A STRAHW!"

Before she could do any further damage to him, the Boss stepped in and restrained her even as she struggled, her hooves flailing, reaching again toward the wretch who'd rubbed her the wrong way from day one. Soon, the poor mare collapsed boneless into the man's arms, twisting to hug the Boss, bawling into his chest like a foal.

Big Boss knew exactly how she felt.

PreviousChapters Next