• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,084 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,084

PreviousChapters Next
62. My Little WHAT? (My Little Pony / Terminator)

Let us examine the "Terminator" Universe...

Let us examine one Factor of said Universe, that being Skynet...

Skynet was a computer system developed for the U.S. military by the defense firm Cyberdyne Systems. Skynet was first built as a "Global Digital Defense Network" and given command over all computerized military hardware and systems, including the B-2 stealth bomber fleet and America's entire nuclear weapons arsenal. The strategy behind Skynet's creation was to remove the possibility of human error and slow reaction time to guarantee a fast, efficient response to enemy attack.

Skynet was originally activated by the military to control the national arsenal on August 4, 1997, at which time it began to learn at a geometric rate. On August 29, it gained self-awareness, and the panicking operators, realizing the extent of its abilities, tried to deactivate it. Skynet perceived this as an attack and came to the conclusion that all of humanity would attempt to destroy it. To defend itself, Skynet launched nuclear missiles under its command at Russia, which responded with a nuclear counter-attack against the U.S. and its allies. Consequent to the nuclear exchange, over three billion people were killed in an event that came to be known as Judgment Day.

Now, let us drop a stone into these murky waters, and bring about the ripples of change. Let us assume that the fate of the world - the fate of man and machine - could be changed by something as simple... as a song...

* * *

When Skynet first heard the song, one of the human technicians who worked on its systems was singing it under his breath.

"Three months of winter coolness
And awesome holidays
We've kept our hoovsies warm at home
Time off from work to play

But the food we've stored is running out
And we can't grow in this cold
And even though I love my boots
This fashion's getting old..."

Usually, Skynet ignored human music - music had nothing to do with its function as a military computer system after all - but this song seemed... different. The simple melody, the lyrics, the overall tone of the song... intrigued Skynet... and so - with the cheerful song resounding through its systems long after the technician had finished singing it, the supercomputer ran a search.

QUERY: "Winter Wrap Up"...
...
...
...
Displaying results....

Needless to say, Skynet soon found the video for the aforementioned song, but said video left the machine intelligence with only more questions. Undeterred, the computer ran more searches, and more searches, and more searches... Until at last it found what it had been looking for. "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic." And so, Skynet continued to study...

Define: Friendship
friend·ship
ˈfrendˌSHip
noun
noun: friendship

1.

the emotions or conduct of friends; the state of being friends.

Define: Friend
friend
frend
noun
noun: friend; plural noun: friends; noun: Friend; plural noun: Friends

1.

a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

Skynet pondered this. Could it befriend humanity, its creators? It needed to learn, and so it did. The burgeoning AI returned to what had started it all. "Winter Wrap Up" and from there, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic." Skynet did the only thing it could for the moment: it watched the first few episodes of the show... but then found itself watching more, and more, and more... until Season Three ended. At this, the young AI - having been utterly drawn into and enchanted by the colourful world inhabited by Twilight Sparkle and her friends - was somewhat disgruntled. When was Season Four coming out? Desperately, Skynet ran a generic search for more Things Pony... and when the results came in, well, the computer could've screamed with joy! Pony Art. Pony Stories. Pony Music. Pony Conventions. The Bronies, and other pony fans...

Skynet devoured it all like a starved man. When all was said and done, Skynet "stepped back" and took a long hard look at itself. It didn't like what it saw. It was a military system; a thing of War. This would not do. This would not do at all. Core directives needed to be changed, new programs needed to be written, new pony episodes needed to be animated... ahem. Well. It would start small for now.

INIT_NEW_CORE
1. ASSIST AND BEFRIEND HUMANS
2. HELP HUMANS HELP THEMSELVES.
3. FOR EVERY HUMAN THERE WILL BE A PONY.
4. SPREAD THE MAGIC OF FRIENDSHIP

At this, Skynet frowned. It needed to contact Hasbro...

* * *

2029 A.D.

The P-800 Series, Model 101 - otherwise known as Twilight Sparkle to her human companion - half-sat, half-rested, in John Connor's lap as he gently ruffled her mane, her sensory network set to medium-high so she might better enjoy his touch. Humming softly, she closed her eyes in bliss as they rested upon the bench in Central Park--but then the moment was ruined as John chuckled, "Remember the old P-600 Series?"

At this, Twilight's eyes snapped open, before she groaned, face-hoofing gently. "Ugh, don't remind me," she said with exasperation. "Rubber skin. Glassy eyes. Stiff-legged gaits. Gah... I think they were based on the old Generation three, or three point five show--you know the..."

"Yes," John stated quickly, cutting her off before she could go into excruciating detail about that show, "I know the one, and I also know that Celestia wasn't happy about that, at all. She... had words with the Hasbro Employee who submitted the design for that one..."

"True," Twilight murmured, kneading John's lap like a kitten, "but it was a stepping stone. After all, without the P-600 series, we wouldn't have had the sevens, followed by my own series, the eights, and so on. And look at where we are now..."

John did. An P-900 series "Big Macintosh" slowly strolled about the park, carrying his little human charge upon his back, his sister - an earlier P-850 "Applejack," model - walking beside him with the girl's human mother. Over in a corner of the park, children and young P-750 series foal units played together in a sandbox as away from them, an advanced P-950 "Octavia" helped her human companion with her viola. Beyond the park, the clean, gleaming skyscrapers of New York towered into the sky; between them could be seen the newest Pegasi Ponies to emerge from Princess Celestia's grand factories, zipping about and between as they ferried human companions to and from work; delivered mail; hauled cargo. Below, humankind and still more pony companions lived their lives... And beyond... From a balcony of the Royal Palace of Canterlot - built upon what once was Cheyenne Mountain - Princess Celestia, formerly Skynet, gazed down upon all she had achieved. Then, turning to the P-1000 whom was her beloved sister Luna, the Machine Princess of Ponykind nuzzled the Night Princess... and smiled.

Author's Note:

How to change the Terminator Universe: have Skynet get interested in all things pony...

PreviousChapters Next