• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,080 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,080

PreviousChapters Next
117. Foal #3 (Celestia / Weyrmind)

Beyond the opened Voidsteel door was a gargantuan room and within that room - stretching into the distance farther than the eye could ever hope to see - was an immense forest. The trees of said forest, however, although alive in a sense, were not living things of wood; they were Khaydarin Ihan Crystals, each of which stretched hundreds of meters into the sky. These amazing crystalline structures - the 'roots' of which grew throughout Equusweyr - were part of the Weyrmind; they acted as coprocessors and enabled the mind to govern the correct operation of the pyramid's systems. Additionally, each held within it a portion of the Great Archive, the sum of the accumulated knowledge and memories of Equusweyr and the Everfree Kingdom. Glowing from within with psychic light, the entire Ihan forest made noise; it 'sang' softly with the immeasurable power of Khalai energy. Said energy permeated the immense room, so thickly that one could taste it in the air. This was a sacred place, filled with beauty and peace, and - as she looked upon it for the first time, poor Princess Celestia trembled and wept. Escorted here by The Prince himself - surrounded by his Templar Guard, her own sister backing them up - escape was impossible. The poor white alicorn mare was totally out of her depth, utterly terrified.

Lapsing into silence - as she ceased her weeping and wiped the tears from her eyes - Celestia stared up at the many 'branches' which sprouted from the many crystalline trees. There - running between the branches of, and connecting each Ihan Crystal tree to its neighbor, were thousands of conduits - immense psycho-technological circuits resembling enormous fiber optic cables - all of which led back to a single source. Soon, Celestia was pulled from her thoughts as one of the Templar nudged her gently. "Move," he stated softly, and she did. Celestia was led swiftly through the Ihan Crystal Forest until at last she and her escort came to a huge clearing at its center: the forest heart. Crystalline 'grass' stretched out before her whilst the forest 'trees' and their connecting conduits loomed high above her head. What caught her attention the most however, was not the clearing itself, but what was within the clearing, at its center.

There before her, hovering a few feet off the ground was the source to which all the psionic conduits of the Ihan Forest connected: a colossal space-faring craft! Larger than even her Palace, it was a "Frankenstein Ship"; a hodge-podge machine seamlessly constructed from what appeared to be parts of a multitude of other spacecraft! Fear gripped poor Celestia, then; though she'd never comprehended let alone seen this impossible vessel in her life... she knew what it was, the Great Ship, the Living Computer Core, the Machine Intelligence that was the very Soul of Equusweyr. The Weyrmind. She was here before it, she knew, to be judged. Hysteria gripped Celestia, then, and she tried to fight the Templar Guard physically but they were too strong; her attacks were gently deflected, blocked, absorbed or shrugged off as she was inexorably led towards the colossal, terrifying vessel and made to sit before it. Small and humble felt she as she gazed at the ship and it gazed through countless sensors back at her. Would it destroy her for her anger towards the Prince whom was its Master? Inhaling a soft breath, she waited for her end to come...

"Re, Mi, Do, Do So." Celestia blinked. Where had those notes come from? "Re, Mi, Do, Do So." There they were again! The Sun Princess opened her eyes--to find that the mighty ship she faced had come forward as much as the conduits connecting it would allow. It... it was touching her! 'But... but...' Celestia was scared but at the same time curious; metal was supposed to be cold, wasn't it? It wasn't supposed to feel warm and alive... Then, "Re, Mi, Do, Do So." the tones sounded again, right in front of her this time. "You're the one making those notes!" Celestia stated softly. The great ship dipped, then righted itself, signalling 'yes.' "Can you...?" Celestia hesitated. "Can you talk?" The great ship backed off a bit, dipped once, then turned left-right--yes and no. "I... I don't know what you mean," the white alicorn whispered brokenly. "I... I don't even know why I'm here! Are you here to judge me? To kill me? I... why am I here?"

A little hatch at the front of the vessel opened, then, and from it extended a robotic tendril, a thin metal disc attached to its tip. The Solar Diarch gasped and tried to move away - fearing she was going to be attacked - but the tendril was too fast; within seconds the metal disc was attached to her spine at the base of her brain. A shudder coursed through her as she felt the disc melt into her fur and then through her skin, to wrap around and embed into her spine and then... and then... a soft, choked whimper escaped her as she knew...

The Weyrmind itself. The Xel'Naga. The Protoss; the Aeon of Strife; the departure of the Xel'Naga. The Zerg. Humankind. David. Ieesha. Their Bond. Their Betrayal and her Death, orchestrated by Judicator Vi'thos. David's departure from Aiur. Arrival at Pandora. Life there with the Alien Na'vi, and then departure. The final journey to Equestria. David turning himself from human to unicorn but something went wrong; he became the Foal Alicorn, the Prince. Ponies settle about the Dragon Weyr--now Equusweyr--time passes as they evolve into Everfree Ponies; then Changelings and Griffons are welcomed. The Everfree Princedom. Khorvas, Fire Sign, her Sister/Matriarch Luna... Then...

"WELCOME, PRINCESS CELESTIA. WELCOME."

... through the new, Nanocyte-grown Neural Transceiver embedded in her spine, Princess Celestia heard, felt, experienced the Collective Peoples of the Everfree Princedom as finally, finally they were able to welcome her; something they had wanted to do for a very long time. And as for the Weyrmind... Love overwhelming suffused Celestia's very being from that great vessel as at last, the Solar Diarch finally understood and comprehended what it was; and it understood and comprehended her. Love/Worry/Concern from the vessel flowed through her thoughts - as well as that from the Everfree Princedom - as Celestia wept, and wept, and wept like a lost filly, filled with the deepest embarrassment and shame at how wrong she'd been about everything to do with the Prince - Auryn - and his amazing Everfree City; his Princedom.

"...'m sorry..." Celestia whimpered, "...'m so sorry..." Forgiveness/Acceptance was the Weyrmind's response at first, but then a gasp escaped the white alicorn as a song played within her thoughts,

"It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be ours?
Could you be ours?

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty,
Would you be ours?
Could you be ours?

We have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you!
We've always wanted to live in a world like this with you.
So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together we might as well say,
Would you be ours?
Could you be ours?
Won't you be our neighbor?
Won't you please,
Won't you please?
Please won't you be our neighbor?"

Sniffling, trying to wipe away tears that just wouldn't stop, Celestia choked on a sob, then laughed and whispered, "Yes! Yes, I'll be your neighbor..." Formerly stern Templar Guard - Benares, Thor, Jormungandr, Fenix and Tassadar - broke into smiles and cheers. Then, Celestia turned toward the Prince--whom she realized had been sitting with her, beside her, all this time--and laid down that she might be closer to him. She looked at him. Auryn looked back at her. Then, little Prince Auryn - Templar Lord, and Sovereign Foal of the Everfree Princedom - reached up to her with a forehoof... and gently 'beeped' her nose! Celestia lost it and burst into new tears as thin, frail, teal wings enfolded her muzzle. The white alicorn wept until she was drained and tired. Weariness suffused her forn as the Prince held her as best he could whilst she in turn hugged him gently. Softly, the tiny Foal Lord kissed her tears away; then leaning up such that he could whisper into her ear, he said, "It's been a long day for us all, Celestia, Weyrfriend. You will stay here with us tonight - allow the new bond you have with us to become fully established - and then tomorrow I will show you my Princedom. Please?"

Swallowing thickly, Celestia nodded.

Author's Note:

Celestia meets the mind of Equusweyr and is, at last, welcomed.

PreviousChapters Next